As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Arteen wrote: »
    I'm still getting used to it, but the boarding is pretty fun. Admittedly, this isn't exactly what I wanted out of an SSX game, (I just want more SSX3, with its exploration, side events, the huge full mountain run and DJ Atomika, not the snowboarding equivalent of Trackmania), but it seems worth a purchase.

Ditto.

I missed the dulcet tones of DJ Atomika. Also I really really wish you could had some customization options for the controls. Why can I not spin tricks with the stick in classic mode, why can't I use the d-pad in standard mode? Make no sense to me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    this demo is pretty damn fun. also, im pretty bad at it.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Can't get the gold on the race no matter how hard I try. Closest I got is about 2 seconds from the goal. I over carve way too often. Still have to get a decent score on trick which I only tried once for the bronze.

PS3 version for me! PSN: PatParadize

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm done for tonight. I'll just leave this here.

20120223004356.jpg

good lord.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Gave the demo another whirl since the mention of board presses had me going "Wut, there are manuals in this game?"

Suddenly 5 million point combos and things got a lot more fun now that there's some actual risk to what I'm doing. My buddy is gonna be wondering how in the fuck I just rocketed 4 million points past his score.

I'll keep going with the demo and see how my opinion evolves. TOGSolid on XBL.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    Well, I'm done for tonight. I'll just leave this here.

20120223004356.jpg

good lord.

Indeed...

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    edited February 2012
    EDIT: NVM.

And now I know what that Huge/Massive rating is for.

Double edit:

And then this suddenly happened which has me kinda torn:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Got down to 2:09 and passed everyone that responded to my friend request...except for Blitz, obviously.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DversedDversed Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Question: What determines your multiplier? Is it number of tricks, set points earned while pursuing your combo, or the value of the actual combo itself?

When you do a trick you have a certain amount of time to do another trick and that gives you a multiplier. So If you chain a bunch of tricks, you can get a huge multiplier. If the time runs out before you hit your next trick, all your previous tricks get dropped into your score and your multiplier starts to decrease. You also want to vary you moves because duplicate tricks gives you less points. So save your Uber tricks for the big drops after you build a good multiplier.
    Also if you face plant you lose all those points and multipliers you tallied up and get a big fat zero.

I hope this isn't confusing.
    I'll be getting this for the PS3. PSN: Dain_is_Awesome

Dversed wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Question: What determines your multiplier? Is it number of tricks, set points earned while pursuing your combo, or the value of the actual combo itself?

When you do a trick you have a certain amount of time to do another trick and that gives you a multiplier. So If you chain a bunch of tricks, you can get a huge multiplier. If the time runs out before you hit your next trick, all your previous tricks get dropped into your score and your multiplier starts to decrease. You also want to vary you moves because duplicate tricks gives you less points. So save your Uber tricks for the big drops after you build a good multiplier.
    Also if you face plant you lose all those points and multipliers you tallied up and get a big fat zero.

I hope this isn't confusing.
    I'll be getting this for the PS3. PSN: Dain_is_Awesome
    Nope, makes perfect sense. I can more easily hit a x20 multiplier now thanks to that. Cheers!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    welp managed to post a 2:09 on the race, but still can't beat @Angel117 despite coming very close. now to work on my tricky score.

welp managed to post a 2:09 on the race, but still can't beat @Angel117 despite coming very close. now to work on my tricky score.

I've only managed to hit 9.8 million. I need to work more on controlling my speed so that I can hit some of the shorter ranged jumps.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So does any of this stuff carry over into the full game. I'm not even going to bother trying the demo if it doesn't.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Down to 2:07. Suck it, everyone but Blitz!

He's using some technique for jumping that makes him have almost no vertical hang time. He drops really fast but shoots further forward. I don't know how you do that, even after watching his ghost a few dozen times. This seems to happen on every single jump, so landing a quarter second further down the track from me each time eventually adds up.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    ifbnyw.jpg
    BOOM, bring it on

• chidonachidona Registered User regular
    ifbnyw.jpg
    BOOM, bring it on

Not to piss on your cheerios, but on the merqury city forums some people have got 30+ million.

Just sayin'!

Regarding control schemes - I actually prefer the new layout. It takes a fair bit of getting used to (lord knows that I kept trying to nose press with the right analogue stick and went sailing through the air), but it fits the flow of the game really well and has all of the versatility of the old scheme. It also seems as if pre-winding is a much more last minute thing here, given that you're going to be heading off the jump at an angle if you pre-wind too far in advance.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

He's using some technique for jumping that makes him have almost no vertical hang time. He drops really fast but shoots further forward. I don't know how you do that, even after watching his ghost a few dozen times. This seems to happen on every single jump, so landing a quarter second further down the track from me each time eventually adds up.

It took a few attempts to find out, but it's actually more beneficial to your overall speed to jump earlier than normal. Take the very first jump for example; I originally had been jumping just before the end of the ramp, and while that was getting me 3 full flips, the Gold ghost would always be a second ahead of me. So, I tried jumping earlier on the ramp, which only gave enough height for 2 flips, but put me just ahead of the ghost. I just carried that whole idea across every jump from that point on, hence why you're seeing me have far less hang time. By the time I'm reaching the rail at the last checkpoint, I'm over 12 seconds ahead of the ghost.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    I noticed that and started to copy it, definitely. But even then, I kept floating slightly higher. I guess I just need to jump earlier on that second ramp, the first big one.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DversedDversed Registered User regular

It took a few attempts to find out, but it's actually more beneficial to your overall speed to jump earlier than normal. Take the very first jump for example; I originally had been jumping just before the end of the ramp, and while that was getting me 3 full flips, the Gold ghost would always be a second ahead of me. So, I tried jumping earlier on the ramp, which only gave enough height for 2 flips, but put me just ahead of the ghost. I just carried that whole idea across every jump from that point on, hence why you're seeing me have far less hang time. By the time I'm reaching the rail at the last checkpoint, I'm over 12 seconds ahead of the ghost.

I got my time down to 2:01.

This guy looks like he avoids the big jumps altogether. And his time is 1:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4XuapOpvt8&feature=related

Scores will get crazier once people start unlocking gear.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Man in the three days it's gonna take the game to make it to the UK I'm gonna have so much catching up to do on times.

Also staggered regional release dates are still the worst thing and need to die.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Feedback on the GameFAQs boards says the 360 version runs smoother and generally looks better. I'm still getting it for PS3 cause, I mean, I just got the thing, and SSX on anything else would just feel weird. Hopefully it's just the demo cutting a few corners to get the size down a bit.

Oh brilliant
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm lost on the 30mil for Tricky. I just don't get it. I keep tricky up, I never crash, and I am putting out furious combinations, and I can't break 14mil. I feel like there is something to the tricky combo system I am not getting.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    I'm lost on the 30mil for Tricky. I just don't get it. I keep tricky up, I never crash, and I am putting out furious combinations, and I can't break 14mil. I feel like there is something to the tricky combo system I am not getting.

Same here, man. Same here.

Regarding the race - is it faster to hit the rails and boost?

In most cases, yes. Rail boosting is fast as shit, especially if it downhills at any time, where as air friction remains the same no matter where you are. Mind you this all depends on the surroundings and layout, but in general you're gonna go faster via rail.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Got gold last night (2:12, no crazy ass time or anything) and things are finally clicking with the game. Finding the right line through the course was really addicting and I'm settling into the controls. Tricks are still way too easy to land but more of the challenge seems to linking them corectly.

I still think the course feels a bit too random and the controls are too loose (specially carving, though maybe you'll level that up) but I feel much better about my preorder than I initially did.

There does seem to be a "bumper" of sorts to make it easier overall, which is good for the casual. The harder stuff appears buried but accessible for a challenge. This all changes a lot when you start adding stat changing outfits and boards to the mix. Racing isn't my thing so sharp carving works for me as it's usually what I want/need while tricking anyway. I dig it.

I've been saving my pennies for this one and I'm glad I did.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Shit, this game is crazy...

I've never played an SSX game before, and I tried out this demo last night. I'm absolutely horrible at it( I finished the trick course with like... 60,000, or maybe 600,000 I dunno it was low), but it reminds me of the first time I played THPS.

Definitely going to pick this up.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited February 2012
    So for those having trouble with the trick system. I have broken it down on how to maintain high trick scores, at least for the demo. I jumped nearly 10m when I had a solid run after I figured it out.

Never stop tricking. It's really that simple. There are some tricks to tricking, so I will explain them here as I see them.

The combo system has about a 4-5 second refresh give or take, that clock refreshes every time you do a trick. I believe this time to be extended based on the style of the trick, ala - tricks that can be held for a long time increase the clocks value to reach. So basically, keep doing tricks.

Tricks about tricks while doing tricks:
    In the air those SUPER UBER tricks are awesome, but they should be finishers. Use all your grabs and manuals in the air to get out combos as fast as you can before bringing out the big boys. One trick might be worth X amount of points and take up 5-8 seconds and look awesome, or you can do 4 or 5 tricks that boost your multiplier and are also worth points. Time management.

Landing Tricks: (I want to make a slut joke here)
    Your character looks awesome while flipping in the air! Wheee! FUCK YOU. Your character looks awesome crossing the finish line with shitty points. Yeah. Thought so.

Watch the mountain not your character. Learn the map. Why? Because landing is where the money maker is and unless you're fucking Superman you won't be in the air 100% of the time. Since you're not a space alien you need to maintain tricks to "bridge" those combos as you line up your next jump. Use manuals while riding, remember the 4 second rule to take advantage of, remember that as you land you should be hitting a manual as soon as you can.

Combo meter = money! Bank ass combo meter will ensure many millions of points.

Things that kill the combo meter are as follows:
    Running into things.
    Letting the combo meter run out.
    Running out of Tricky.
    Using the time rewind toy.
    Your Mamma.

So all in all, the idea is to get the combo meter as high as you can, maintain tricky at all times, and don't wipe out.

Additional Notation:
    The "uber trick" each character has is the best way to get tricky right off the bat. However it has diminishing returns on the volume of tricky it delivers as you use it again. This resets over time though.
    The combo meter is the one on the left.

HallowedFaith on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is it easier to use the buttons over RS? Also how do you keep doing tricks in a stretch where there's no grindy rails or ramps? Just keep tapping X or B?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited February 2012
    In the air those SUPER UBER tricks are awesome, but they should be finishers. Use all your grabs and manuals in the air to get out combos as fast as you can before bringing out the big boys. One trick might be worth X amount of points and take up 5-8 seconds and look awesome, or you can do 4 or 5 tricks that boost your multiplier and are also worth points. Time management.

Finishers as in, near the end of the run, when your combo meter is ridiculously high? Or finishers in the same jump as the "4 or 5 tricks?"

Edit: I ask because I'm stuck trying to break 13 million.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i quite like the track by The Naked And Famous in this here demo. also, i cant get gold on the race for anything. im going to stop trying though and just wait for the sweet sweet full game.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dversed wrote: »

I got my time down to 2:01.

This guy looks like he avoids the big jumps altogether. And his time is 1:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4XuapOpvt8&feature=related

Scores will get crazier once people start unlocking gear.

I had a feeling that second rail onto the minecart(?) tracks would be marginally faster... I also figured that getting off of rails early would help too, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that. Guess I'll be going for 1:55 tonight, then.

EDIT: Nearly 3 seconds shaved off, now down to 1:56.96.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Y'all are nuts. :rotate:

Please continue to add me to PS3 (ringswraith)- and please add something about SSX or PA to the request so I know where y'all are coming from.

I'm looking at this thread and I just know I'm gonna be one of those guys who sets up the low scores so that you guys can break them!

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm looking at this thread and I just know I'm gonna be one of those guys who sets up the low scores so that you guys can break them!

That's okay, you and I can hang out!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited February 2012

Finishers as in, near the end of the run, when your combo meter is ridiculously high? Or finishers in the same jump as the "4 or 5 tricks?"

Edit: I ask because I'm stuck trying to break 13 million.

At the end of your 4-5 tricks.
    The goal is to pull as many off as possible, so if you can trick, trick, uber, trick, trick, uber > land INTO a manual, keep switching manuals as you head toward the next ramp/jump. This takes some master control at times because let's face it, this game is designed for you to be flying all over the place and you don't always land in the best places. Carving is awesome in this game and will let you master the mountains for this.

And I want to make a comment on rails. Grind everything you can, you'll be surprised what you can. Changing tricks get's you more points and builds your meter faster. Sharp ice, mountain edges, rails, some cliff edges, etc. And getting points on grinds is easy using two methods: If you know the line well enough, jump all over the place with tricks. and if you're not 100% sure or you don't have the angle to do that, just switch tricks a lot while riding. Single and Double tap the shit out of trick buttons and build your score up. There is a timing that goes into it, but it's fairly obvious once you do it a few times.

HallowedFaith on
  • chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Advice from one of the creators of the game (last name is Batty I think - crossposting from the merqury city forums):

-sig trick worth most

-flips worth more than spins

-when not doing sig trick do L-R, R-L, B-X or X-B. The 2-input/step tricks are worth much more than the single button press

-never dupe your trick. If you see dupe trick callout off a big jump rewind immediately and re-jump, you'll get more in the long run even with the penalty

-never change your trick mid-flight

-build your multiplier up as fast as possible. Get into super tricky and do one grind trick after another at about a 1 second per cadence (if your multiplier doesn't go up you are doing it too fast). Once at 20x never change your grind trick mid-grind.

-one combo top to bottom, learn to watch the little chevrons beside your main score, they are the combo timer. Do a manual if no jumps, but can always just ollie

-use the terrain for big air opps anytime, just boost up the wall and then jump off. Can double the number of tricks you can do in a single run. This is really the key once you master the above and what will keep people playing this game forever.

Glad to know my assessment was not far off. Excellent information.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Gonna throw those in the OP.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm going to have to take a run at the demo a couple more times, but my initial impressions haven't been great. The mountain felt extremely random, and I didn't feel like I was exerting a lot of control or finesse over my boarder.

This is coming from someone who's been a series fan, though my favorite would be SSX3.

I was super excited for this game, but the janky feel of the controls has completely put me off it.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is the demo gone from Xbox Live? I just went to download it to compare it to the PS3 version and I couldn't find it.

EDIT: Ah, it's gold only right now, that's what it wasn't giving me a download link.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)