As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Going quickfire blues. TY for the info. I love that smaller form factor!

My wifes minor sleep disorder AGAIN benifits me. Click clack and no bothering her dead to the world self.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    mojojoeo wrote:

I love it and I want it BUT the cherry blue one is 65$- cherry blues for gaming? I hear not great things? Anyone comment to that?

otherwise i guess ill eat it and get the reds.

What are the differences between that model and this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US-QuickFire-Keyboard/dp/B0068INSUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329699270&sr=8-1

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    @cantido
    The CL (the one you linked) uses cherry blue switches, the CR (the cm store link) uses cherry reds

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Foomy wrote:
    @cantido
    The CL (the one you linked) uses cherry blue switches, the CR (the cm store link) uses cherry reds

@Foomy
    I...don't know what those mean :(
    As long as the difference is cosmetic, i'm fine with blue or red keys.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    it's not cosmetic, it's the way the switches function.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide is a good guide. but what sort of key switch you will like typing on is a really personal thing, and for the price you spend on a good mechanical keyboard you dont want to end up hating it.

if you can try and get to some place that has different models on display and try them out.

if you can't, than reds are very light, have no bump where it activates, and are relativity quiet. blues are very clicky/loud, have a bump where the key activates, and take more force. most people prefer blues for typing and reds for fps gaming, but again it's really a personal preference thing.

Perosnally I use a Thermaltake Meka G1 which uses cherry blacks, been very happy with it, great build quality.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Foomy wrote:
    it's not cosmetic, it's the way the switches function.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide is a good guide. but what sort of key switch you will like typing on is a really personal thing, and for the price you spend on a good mechanical keyboard you dont want to end up hating it.

if you can try and get to some place that has different models on display and try them out.

if you can't, than reds are very light, have no bump where it activates, and are relativity quiet. blues are very clicky/loud, have a bump where the key activates, and take more force. most people prefer blues for typing and reds for fps gaming, but again it's really a personal preference thing.

Perosnally I use a Thermaltake Meka G1 which uses cherry blacks, been very happy with it, great build quality.

Oh wow, excellent link. My Razer Blackwidow Stealth is Cherry Blue, so I think I'll go with the new one. Reaching for Q in the middle of heat in SMNC has gotten me killed a few times when I can't quite squeeze the key, and this is a Tax Refund splurge, so I will make the most of it and get the Cherry Red. I can type like a monster on the Blackwidow though, I'm keeping it for work purposes.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    FYI, the non-Stealth Blackwidows use Cherry Blues. The Stealth models use Browns. Cherry Reds are now my choice for a similar silent keypress with a lower amount of force required to press.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    FYI, the non-Stealth Blackwidows use Cherry Blues. The Stealth models use Browns. Cherry Reds are now my choice for a similar silent keypress with a lower amount of force required to press.

Bah, it was too late to cancel the ordr from Amazon, but hey, free Prime for me. Looks like I'm trying Cherry Blues.

I'm also in the market for a keyboard because I'm preparing a workdesk for my laptop, so one keyboard will be for gaming and one will be for typing at the speed of wtf.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The browns really don't take that much key pressure to press...if the reds are "lighter", than they must be touch light...because the browns are already not stiff.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    GnomeTank wrote:
    The browns really don't take that much key pressure to press...if the reds are "lighter", than they must be touch light...because the browns are already not stiff.

Actually the Browns and Reds both require the same 45grams of pressure, but the Reds don't have a tactile clickover in the middle of the press like the Browns do. It's a smooth motion all the way to the bottom. Both are lighter than the ~60grams that Blacks and Blues typically require.

Edit: My previous post up there was comparing Reds to Blues, but I just realized my phrasing made it sound more like I was comparing Reds to Browns. Reds and Browns are very similar, except for that small tactile (but not audible) clickover on the Browns that the Reds don't have. I just like the smoother motion of the Reds better, personally.

minor incident on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Let me just say that this thread has been a font of information for which I never knew existed and has inspired me to get myself my own mechanical keyboard. I used to have a Microsoft Natural keyboard, and when that gave up the ghost, I've been making due with a five-dollar Dell keyboard I picked up from goodwill. I haven't actually had a switch-based keyboard since my original Microsoft natural almost fifteen years ago.

What I do with my keyboard: lots and lots of typing due to grad school & career choice, and a lot of gaming, although nothing close to professional-level, nor any desire to go there (it's not like I'll ever have the time to do so). The only place I have relatively close that allows me to tap on keyboards is Fry's, and I'll have to ask them if I can hook them up to a computer to test them out. I spent some time tapping on the keyboards yesterday and am thinking about the following boards, and I would love some input.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue);
    Corsair K90 (Cherry MX Red);
    Corsair K60 (Cherry MX Red).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    The Blackwidow Ultimate is a good keyboard. It uses Cherry Blue's, which are good typing switches. I know nothing about the Corsair, so I can't really comment, though I think one Corsair model or another uses Alps switches, which aren't considered as solid Cherry (not sure if either of those models are among them).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    @GnomeTank, I updated the keyboards with their switches.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    The Blackwidow Ultimate is a good keyboard. It uses Cherry Blue's, which are good typing switches. I know nothing about the Corsair, so I can't really comment, though I think one Corsair model or another uses Alps switches, which aren't considered as solid Cherry (not sure if either of those models are among them).

Both of those Corsairs use Cherry Red switches. Anandtech just did a review on those keyboards.

DoctorArch wrote:
    @GnomeTank, I updated the keyboards with their switches.

Well, Reds are considered an in between switch, like Browns, just without the tactile click of Browns. You sound like you do more typing than gaming, so I think the Blues would work great for you. I'm not sure if you'll like the lack of tactile click on the Reds for typing. I know I didn't like it, which is why I have a Das Silent with Browns...the best inbetweener switch for my personal tastes, as I also do a lot of typing as a programmer.

Hmmm...I think that while you are right in that the Blues on the Razer would be preferable for typing, noise may be a consideration leaning me towards the reds on the Corsairs. I tend to be a very heavy typist and make significant noise on a membrane based keyboard, adding in the audible clicks of the Blues may be too much for the house.

edited February 2012
    Sounds like Browns are for you then! I highly recommend the Das Silent, as I have one and love it...but there are others. They aren't "silent" (and neither are the reds), but they are MUCH less clicky than blues. No mechanical switch is ever going to be "quite", it's just a matter of how loud it is, and how annoying the sound is.

With the browns, you'll get the tactile feel for good typing, slightly quieter clicking, and still a nice in between switch for gaming and typing.

GnomeTank on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I use a Leopold Tenkeyless with Browns at work, and I love it for typing. Nobody around my open office has complained about the noise.

The only thing holding me back from picking up the Das Silent is the lack of chance to try it out first. I'll double check Fry's when I get back there this week to see if they have one there.

edited February 2012
    Any Brown switch keyboard will work...but just imagine blues that are less clicky and require less pressure, but still have that tactile feel...that's browns.

(Little secret: The Browns, using a decibel meter, are actually LOUDER than blues, but the sound is significantly less clicky, and much less grating. It blends in to background noise much easier).

e: Also, DoctorArch, I answered your question about the Vespula in the computer build thread, if you didn't see it.

GnomeTank on
    @GnomeTank, I did, thanks for your input both there and here. I'll probably pick up the Vespula this week with the keyboard.

Out of curiosity, are you the reviewer from Portland on Amazon's page for the Das Silent? :)

edited February 2012
    DoctorArch wrote:
    @GnomeTank, I did, thanks for your input both there and here. I'll probably pick up the Vespula this week with the keyboard.

Out of curiosity, are you the reviewer from Portland on Amazon's page for the Das Silent? :)

Nope, don't remember ever reviewing it on Amazon. I don't even see a review from Portland for the Professional S Silent.

e: Oh, I see it for the Ultimate. Definitely not me. I don't have the Ultimate, I have the Professional.

GnomeTank on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Where can I find these wacky keys? I'd be interested in picking up a mechanical keyboard if I can go nuts customizing my keys.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ sells keys as well as just outright making your own keyboard

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ sells keys as well as just outright making your own keyboard

I would give them so many dollars if they offered a backlit model.

edited February 2012
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Any Brown switch keyboard will work...but just imagine blues that are less clicky and require less pressure, but still have that tactile feel...that's browns.

(Little secret: The Browns, using a decibel meter, are actually LOUDER than blues, but the sound is significantly less clicky, and much less grating. It blends in to background noise much easier).

e: Also, DoctorArch, I answered your question about the Vespula in the computer build thread, if you didn't see it.

After getting my Cherry Blues in the mail, I can confirm this. If blues are clicky, browns are thuddy.

Quick fire is petite compared to Razer Blackwidow. I had the quickfire sliding around from too much force. The quickfire will be for gaming and the razer will be for typing. (more comments later.)

Cantido on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    PLease please someone confirm the Razer is good for typing.
    I type type type all day

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    PLease please someone confirm the Razer is good for typing.
    I type type type all day

The Blackwidow is, in fact, excellent for typing.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote:

After getting my Cherry Blues in the mail, I can confirm this. If blues are clicky, browns are thuddy.

Quick fire is petite compared to Razer Blackwidow. I had the quickfire sliding around from too much force. The quickfire will be for gaming and the razer will be for typing. (more comments later.)

mini review the quick fire. I demand it. (( getting one soon))

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    I can also confirm the Razer Blackwidow is amazing for typing.

I played one round of SMNC and wrote one email with the Quickfire. Let me get back to you with more data.

edited February 2012
    Do I need the ultimate, or the regular Blackwidow is enough? I game a LOT on my PC, but don't usually make macros and shit.

EDIT: Ah, i see the difference is the backlighting. I don't think I need it.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    Do I need the ultimate, or the regular Blackwidow is enough? I game a LOT on my PC, but don't usually make macros and shit.

EDIT: Ah, i see the difference is the backlighting. I don't think I need it.

I regret dropping the extra money on an Ult dearly. Backlighting is sweet, so think carefully.

edited February 2012
    Wait, so you regret getting the ultimate, but the backlighting is awesome? I'm confus.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    I think he means he regrets NOT dropping the money on the Ultimate. I have an Ultimate and it's really great. I can't stand non-backlit keyboards.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I can't stand non-backlit keyboards.
    I don't see why people care about backlights unless you're a hunt-and-peck typer. About the only thing they are good for (at least on desktop keyboards) is that they make your keyboard look as gaudy as your case that might have anywhere from three to six fans with blue LEDs.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I don't see why people care about backlights unless you're a hunt-and-peck typer. About the only thing they are good for (at least on desktop keyboards) is that they make your keyboard look as gaudy as your case that might have anywhere from three to six fans with blue LEDs.

It's nice that you feel so comfortable being such a condescending goose about things that you're clearly an authority on.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

It's nice that you feel so comfortable being such a condescending goose about things that you're clearly an authority on.

He's right, though. Why should you need backlighting on a keyboard? I don't see any reason, personally.

edited February 2012
    I had assumed most folks here could see past the "I don't see the point so it's stupid" mindset.

For those that can't, I can only speak for myself. I game in a dark room most of the time. I can touch type just fine and am not a "hunt and peck" typist. However, when playing a game like an MMO or RTS that routinely requires the use of keys outside of my normal left hand position, it's exceptionally handy to be able to glance down quickly and spot the key I need.

Many games also require you to switch hand positions regularly, or even swap off the keyboard over to a gamepad temporarily. In these situations, being able to see the keys helps get your han back into position more quickly and easily.

Also, I like the look of it. A nice blue glow from my keyboard is definitely aesthetically pleasing, and that counts for something.

Now, you may not agree with any of these points, but it makes them no less valid, and certainly not deserving of mockery (HAR HAR IT LUKS GAUDY).

TL;DR: some people find backlighting useful, as should be evident by the fact that it's a popular feature on higher-end keyboards. Some people find it attractive and these people are not universally morons.

minor incident on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    For those that can't, I can only speak for myself. I game in a dark room most of the time. I can touch type just fine and am not a "hunt and peck" typist. However, when playing a game like an MMO or RTS that routinely requires the use of keys outside of my normal left hand position, it's exceptionally handy to be able to glance down quickly and spot the key I need.
    That's where re-binding keys or macros are handy. For instance, back when I played WoW basically every key near "home" (the WASD) cluster would use a different spell/ability if you were holding down one of ALT/CTRL/SHIFT.

Personally, in an MMO or FPS game I do not like using any keys that requires me to stop moving.
    Many games also require you to switch hand positions regularly, or even swap off the keyboard over to a gamepad temporarily. In these situations, being able to see the keys helps get your han back into position more quickly and easily.
    First off...what games actually do that? I'm curious, because that sounds fucking terrible...the only thing that makes sense is something like an MMO on a console, so FF XI is the only thing that comes to mind.
    TL;DR: some people find backlighting useful, as should be evident by the fact that it's a popular feature on higher-end keyboards.
    Most of what I consider "higher-end keyboards" don't have backlit keyboards. Something from Das Keyboard, Leopold, Filco, Topre, or the company that makes the Happy Hacking keyboard will usually have no backlit keys (I would say "always", but perhaps they exist somewhere in their product lineup and I've never seen them...they might be available with them overseas).

It mainly seems to be a feature on so-called gaming keyboards (at least the ones advertised as such), mechanical or otherwise.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited February 2012
    Imagine for a moment, if you will, that not everyone plays games the same way you do. Some even have different tastes in what constitutes a useful feature.

It seems like you're being purposely obtuse about this. Either that or you honestly can't imagine someone that does things in a different way than you do. I'm honestly not sure which it is.

As for games that might put you in a position where you're taking your hand off the keyboard: Driving games and GTA/Saints Row & their clones come to mind immediately.

The thing is, I'm not trying to sway your opinion. I'm just amazed that you could be so dismissive of someone who uses their computer in a different manner than you.

Edit: Wait. I get it. You're trolling me, aren't you? It's okay. I forgive you. <3

minor incident on