Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

1161719212248

Posts

  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    I'm assuming these questions have been asked a bit lately, but here it goes anyway:

    So, the New 52. I'm late to the party because I've stopped buying comics- and had a bit of a beef with DC- but I'm going to start buying again. But I'm still a bit leery on the quality of some books.

    I know I'll be picking up Flash, if only for the art, but I hear the story is pretty decent. True or false? Also, I loved Wally- is Barry anywhere near as like able in this run?

    I'm interested in Animal Man, as I loved Morrison's run. But I don't want to jump on this if it's not looking like it will last. Question for this one is would I like it, and is it worth pulling or just trade waiting? Also, I'm hearing a lot of connections, but how necessary is Swamp Thing for Buddy's stuff?

    How's the quality of Wonder Woman? I've been interested in her and have housemate who digs her, but I've never read anything particularly good (or anything at all really).

    Batgirl any good? Its Simone, so im leaning towards yes, but sometimes shes a miss.
    What about Batwoman?

    If I only want one Batman book, which one should I go for?

    Any word on the JSA getting a book?

    And finally: how hard would it be to track down the singles of these?




    acnlfriendcodesig_zpsdca0a5dc.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter if you want to talk to me look elsewhere.Registered User regular
    Swamp Thing isn't necessary so far, but there's going to be a crossover by issue 12 for both it and Animal Man
    I really enjoy reading it, but different from Morrison's

    Buddy is still a C-List superhero trying to pay the bills, but some extremely weird shit is going on involving the Red, which is the real source of the Morphogenetic Field in the DCnU

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla Hi, buddy! Kickin' chairs.Registered User regular
    Skullo wrote:
    I'm assuming these questions have been asked a bit lately, but here it goes anyway:

    So, the New 52. I'm late to the party because I've stopped buying comics- and had a bit of a beef with DC- but I'm going to start buying again. But I'm still a bit leery on the quality of some books.

    I know I'll be picking up Flash, if only for the art, but I hear the story is pretty decent. True or false? Also, I loved Wally- is Barry anywhere near as like able in this run?

    I'm interested in Animal Man, as I loved Morrison's run. But I don't want to jump on this if it's not looking like it will last. Question for this one is would I like it, and is it worth pulling or just trade waiting? Also, I'm hearing a lot of connections, but how necessary is Swamp Thing for Buddy's stuff?

    How's the quality of Wonder Woman? I've been interested in her and have housemate who digs her, but I've never read anything particularly good (or anything at all really).

    Batgirl any good? Its Simone, so im leaning towards yes, but sometimes shes a miss.
    What about Batwoman?

    If I only want one Batman book, which one should I go for?

    Any word on the JSA getting a book?

    And finally: how hard would it be to track down the singles of these?



    Flash is good fun and Barry is likable but not up to Wally's standard yet.

    Animal Man is really good and fairly standalone for now but I recommend Swamp Thing regardless.

    Wonder Woman is one of the best books out of the relaunch.

    Batgirl is not good. Batwoman is, however, very good.

    The Batman title to get is Batman.

    JSA seems to be the main focus of Earth-2 which is an alternate Earth where it seems that the old DCU continued in some capacity and the younger heroes(Nightwing, Superboy, etc) have become the next generation. It is looking like the mainstays of the JSA will be new versions of the characters and likely much younger.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Get Captain Atom

  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Batgirl being not good comes as a bit of surprise! Care to fill me in?

    acnlfriendcodesig_zpsdca0a5dc.png
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    0
    Skullo wrote: »
    Batgirl being not good comes as a bit of surprise! Care to fill me in?

    I really like Batgirl, but Simone is telling a very personal tale that is explicitly about Barbara's emotions and troubles now that she can miraculously walk again. It's about class, power, agency, and dis/ability a lot more than being a bog-standard comic book, and some people aren't liking that.

    huntresssig.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla Hi, buddy! Kickin' chairs.Registered User regular
    Some people also just think it is a poorly written comic

    I am one of them

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Some people also just think it is a poorly written comic

    I am one of them

    I am also one of them

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen any depictions of Frankenstein's Monster in places other than Unwritten that they can remember? I know there are DC and Marvel versions of the character, but I haven't read them.

  • TexiKenTexiKen it's a one way street, whichever way I go Registered User regular
    He's been in a few Fables issues throughout the run, but most notably in a WWII flashback story and in a Bufkin arc from the issues in the #80's range.

    wowsmm_zps1010c3b6.jpg
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Some people also just think it is a poorly written comic

    I am one of them

    I am also one of them

    Hmm. Arivia's description makes it sound like exactly the thing id want to read, but I Simone has missed for me before, so I guess I'll have to pick up an issue or two and give em a look!

    acnlfriendcodesig_zpsdca0a5dc.png
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla Hi, buddy! Kickin' chairs.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Has anyone seen any depictions of Frankenstein's Monster in places other than Unwritten that they can remember? I know there are DC and Marvel versions of the character, but I haven't read them.
    Well I mean

    he has an ongoing series at DC right now

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He's been in a few Fables issues throughout the run, but most notably in a WWII flashback story and in a Bufkin arc from the issues in the #80's range.

    yessss this is a good thing that I am happy to hear.

    Blank that's why I said I knew there were DC and Marvel versions! I am looking in to those, but I'm not going to know shit bout Fables or independent things.

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla Hi, buddy! Kickin' chairs.Registered User regular
    Frank at Marvel hasn't been as prominent

    but yeah Fables and Unwritten are your best bets for indie stuff

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I dunno about Marvel's Frankenstein

    But if you go to Comicvine.com and type Frankenstein into their search bar, then you will get the various characters and a last of their appearances. Could be useful.

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Not tests. They were trying to kill it.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Has anyone seen any depictions of Frankenstein's Monster in places other than Unwritten that they can remember? I know there are DC and Marvel versions of the character, but I haven't read them.

    Read Seven Soldiers, then read Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown, then read the current DC Frankenstein series.

  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    0
    Skullo wrote: »
    Batgirl being not good comes as a bit of surprise! Care to fill me in?

    I really like Batgirl, but Simone is telling a very personal tale that is explicitly about Barbara's emotions and troubles now that she can miraculously walk again. It's about class, power, agency, and dis/ability a lot more than being a bog-standard comic book, and some people aren't liking that.

    I'm going to second this. It's a divisive book. Some people are into it, some aren't, that simple.

    I'm in Arivia's camp on this one; I like it, very much enjoyed the first arc.

    Batman is the title you'll want to pick up for the bat-books themselves, but Batman & Robin is also really good.

    Flash is awesome. Fun book.

    JSA book will be out in May. Lots of speculation, really very little solid information though.

  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Langly.

    That signature.

    I don't even

    weapon_rex.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The greatest sig ever made

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I don't know whether to ask in here for the "new to comics" thread, but I am wanting to get rid of a ton of old stuff I have. Local store buys them off you cheap from what I know. Besides maybe having an issue #1 of certain series, is there anything I should really worry about selling? I just want to clear out space and these are just random X-men, Superman, TMNT, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, etc.

    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | My childhood on eBay
    3DS: 3394-3901-4002 | 360/Steam/One: Redfield85 | PS3: Recchi85
    PAX East 2015: Hotel [ ] Badge [ ] Travel [ ] Pokécrawl [ ]
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo Cream of my compulsions Rising to the tip of the spoutRegistered User regular
    You'd be lucky to get cover price for anything made in and after the 90s, honestly

    If you have full runs of things you could always try your luck on eBay

    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    3DS: 2251-4432-9039

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I was even looking up some of the old stuff I have on Ebay and it looked like everyone was asking for too much. Even the cheap stuff had no bids. I'll take change+store credit just to free up space.

    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | My childhood on eBay
    3DS: 3394-3901-4002 | 360/Steam/One: Redfield85 | PS3: Recchi85
    PAX East 2015: Hotel [ ] Badge [ ] Travel [ ] Pokécrawl [ ]
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I've MyComicShop.com to get rid of tons of stuff, but not recently.

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    I've MyComicShop.com to get rid of tons of stuff, but not recently.

    It seems easy enough. I'll browse that site. Looks like I might get a little more, but will it be worth it after buying stuff to send the issue in?

    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | My childhood on eBay
    3DS: 3394-3901-4002 | 360/Steam/One: Redfield85 | PS3: Recchi85
    PAX East 2015: Hotel [ ] Badge [ ] Travel [ ] Pokécrawl [ ]
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    I've MyComicShop.com to get rid of tons of stuff, but not recently.

    It seems easy enough. I'll browse that site. Looks like I might get a little more, but will it be worth it after buying stuff to send the issue in?

    Usually, you'll still make a small amount off selling individual issues. If you want something more convenient, there is place on that site where you can send MyComicShop a list of everything you want to sell, and they'll send you back a bulk price for it.

  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    On the one of the Max Lord heroclix figures one of his powers is "Ten Justice Leagues couldn't stop me!"

    What I'm wondering is, is that a quote from a story or just a made up quote.

    steam_sig-400.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    Deadpool: DEAD?

    huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Not tests. They were trying to kill it.Registered User regular
    That link doesn't seem to work for me, but I'm assuming you're referring to these panels from Deadpool #50

    tumblr_lzmgpptObr1qj9s09o1_500.jpg

  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    That would be it. Thanks.

  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    After reading the first arc of DC's New 52 Batman I'm interested in Snyder's other works. I plan on trade waiting for Swamp Thing, American Vampire, and his Detective Comics run but how was Iron Man Noir and Severed?

  • TexiKenTexiKen it's a one way street, whichever way I go Registered User regular
    I liked Severed, it was an unexplored time that comics rarely go to, and Futaki has a really nice style. It's set up so that you know what happens in the first issue, yet the revelation about the antagonist works as a slow build as things get more and more messed up. It never goes into gratuitous violence and captures the idea of letting your mind fill in the blanks.

    wowsmm_zps1010c3b6.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Holy shit why is the Orc Stain volume 1 trade 100 FREAKING DOLLARS on Amazon?

  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Because it's great.

    I actually saw that a couple days ago, and quickly popped down to my LCS, to buy the copy they had, for cover price.

    It's available on Comixology, though.

    Or you can buy mine, for just $99.99.

  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/29/orc-stain-7-preview-james-stokoe/

    Orc Stain is so good, but I wish Stokoe would finish things faster.

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    Because it's great.

    I actually saw that a couple days ago, and quickly popped down to my LCS, to buy the copy they had, for cover price.

    It's available on Comixology, though.

    Or you can buy mine, for just $99.99.

    Rip off.


    I'll sell you mine for a cool $90.

    steam_sig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The thing about comiXology is I like them for single issues but I still prefer to read a longer story in paper format. So I'll try and find Orc Stain some other way first.

  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever ordered from cheapgraphicnovels.com, or does anyone know if they're a reputable place? If you've ordered from them, thoughts on the experience?

    steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I placed my first order from them a couple weeks ago after someone linked to them here. They say they ship via USPS media mail ("4-14 days"). My order was "processed" almost immediately, but then I didn't hear anything for an entire week. I e-mailed them to ask what was up and they wrote back earlier this week saying one of the books I ordered had gone out of stock, so they were refunding its cost and mailing the rest of my order then. Not sure if that was the entire reason for the apparent delay or what. Anyway, my books are on their way now, will report back once they actually arrive.

    1Slimus.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hmm, what happened to the cosmic marvel scene? I tried to start picking up the Nova and GoG books the other week and they're already out of print. The only things I can find in print are two books that where either events or miniseries (Annihilators and Thanos imperative)

    steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I Amazonian I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle)
Sign In or Register to comment.