As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thx!

I don't know. I've just been in good headspace for drawing fiddly shiny robot things lately, I guess.

[Edit] Oh, oops
    fungal guy, does that look like fungus?
    fungalfinals5.jpg
    WIP of a portrait of a friend (previous iteration here)- think I'm going to put this on hold/abandon it at this point because I've stared at it so long I can't really see what I'm doing anymore, probably need to move on to something else so I can come back to it with fresh eyes. One thing's for sure though, he looks significantly more sinister here than he does in real life.

JamesWIP1.jpg
    kevindee wrote:
    Still working on values

facesdoodlery.jpg

Still..i probably shouldnt have spent half an hour on a doodle of a monged out head. argh, I swear I need to do an actual study soon and stop just doodling!

Fugitive on
  • zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    Nice paint bacon. Sinister is better.
    Severed Head, I didn't think it was a fungus at first. Maybe rocks or embedded eggs or something. At a large scale, fungi have stalks and stuff, if those are supposed to be groups of small fungus seen from a far, there's usually a lot more fractal randomness and texture in stuff like that.
    Here's what I'm picking away at. Man-faced birds just look better.

349a2kk.jpg

www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    Fucking awesome so far, Zap. That puts me in the mood to try and paint shiny, leathery desert people.

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Is that

Vlad Tepes?

Fuck yes.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Really nice Zap!!

edited February 2012
    I've mostly been doing figure studies in my sketchbook, but I have managed to do a bit of work on Jackie Chan
    jchanpic2.jpg

Also Neil Gaiman
    gaimanwip4.jpg

I haven't really focused on the neck and shoulder areas so much, I've just got them kind of roughed in there, I'm looking at a bunch of different light references and figure pics for what I'm going to do with that

EDIT: also here's a gif of the differences between Jackie Chan before and how it looks now:
    changif.gif

Nic on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    I think it was loomis who advised artist to try to stay away from celebs for portrait drawing. You'll end up focussing too much on the likeness and too little on the drawing. Because as you see the parts of what you draw are pretty good, but the placement/ proportions knocks 'em down a notch sometimes.

Also, i'd have used a smaller brush on Gaiman's hair. Perhaps only try to draw the mass you see when you squint? check out Zapattack or Bacon's portraits above. There probably would be stray hairs everywhere (esp on the bird-dude), but those aren't really crucial for the drawing.

edited February 2012
    Thanks, hatter, I'll bear it in mind.

Was dicking around in photoshop with the pencil tool and made this for my profile pic for both here and DeviantArt, because the more I looked at the old one, the more I found wrong with it.
    DAprofilepicNew-2.gif

Nic on
  • ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote:
    Iruka you always choose the prettiest hues.

Speaking of, I felt like I was channeling some Iruka design flavor while drawing this.

TunnelBird.jpg
    I really like this style, fugutive. It reminds me of Jet Set Radio and Cannonbusters.

• squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Scadilla wrote: »
    It reminds me of Jet Set Radio and Cannonbusters.

Same thought.
    Also, yesterday I discovered this neat videogame Alan Wake, where you have to kill shadow things with a flashlight. Not that original but I think is fan-art worthy.

alan_wake___fan_art___lineart_by_squar3x-d4ql7rl.png

I think is missing something to give the impression of overwhelming darkness.

square on
    Mm9Qsm4.png
    edited February 2012
    Color it!

Reworking a character
    char4.jpg

I want her to be a mix of that staff girl from Xena and Zoey from Firefly.

F87 on
  • ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    Any MMA fans?
    Ubereem.jpg

• squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    Any MMA fans?

I'm not a fan but I do know to don't mess with that guy.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    tumblr_lztn5yWUMd1qaumawo1_500.jpg

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    F87 nice charater once again, i like how u have such a consistent style with those. the legs might be a bit short.
    sweet pencil rendering on the mma guy.
    practice session!
    prac5b.jpg

SeveredHead on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Any MMA fans?
    Ubereem.jpg

I really dig this. Can feel those muscles.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I posted this in my thread, but I'ma post it here too. Just because, you know. it's a doodle.
    RVjKV.jpg

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Goddang Zap that looks like it's going to be amazin'

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I love the colors Obi!

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    OC session with Spex

SefFug0223.jpg

Nice, Fug. And Spex. Awesome styles!

Update on this character
    Girl_space_ch2.jpg

Need to figure out her staff and hands...

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    A suggestion:

The way a character holds something is the main way we can perceive it's weight. The way she's holding the staff with only her left (our right) hand makes it seem like it's either made of foam or weighted heavy on the top (like a sledgehammer)

I'd curl her fingers on her right hand to give the staff some more weight. Something like this:

Screen%20shot%202012-02-23%20at%204.33.08%20PM.png

Go find a Stick and hold it as you'd hold the weapon. That always helps me :)

Hey, that's a good point! I'll try to fix that up! Thank you.

• Hey Frank, you might want to consider pushing the colors on the girl a bit- your recent environments have shown a more bold sense of color usage than you have in the past, and it'd be nice to see it brought into your character work as well. Specifically, you tend to leave your skin tones fairly desaturated, when you could go for a richer warm tones would likely sell the complexion more. (This could be the result of usually working off a grey background.)

Quick paintover- tried to move skintone more yellow/orange, with more reds in the shadows, and moved the shirt to be a warmer tone of blue and more purple in the shadows. Also tried to make the hair less reliant on white highlights (which will cool colors of any color mixed with it) and more on straight lemon yellow, with red/orange shadows. These are pretty subtle changes, but a little variations in color temperature can make a big difference in overall effect.
    f87_girl.jpg

edited February 2012
    Made a colour sketch for what is decidedly a concept for an Earthbound fanart piece.
    EBroboWIP2.jpg

Made a little gif of it as well.
    EBroboWIP1.gif

Edit: it's also best viewed when listening to this.
    And like I say it's just a concept piece, so I'll likely do a more fleshed out take over the next couple of days.

Nic on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Nicely done.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
    edited February 2012
    Hey Frank, you might want to consider pushing the colors on the girl a bit- your recent environments have shown a more bold sense of color usage than you have in the past, and it'd be nice to see it brought into your character work as well. Specifically, you tend to leave your skin tones fairly desaturated, when you could go for a richer warm tones would likely sell the complexion more. (This could be the result of usually working off a grey background.)

Quick paintover- tried to move skintone more yellow/orange, with more reds in the shadows, and moved the shirt to be a warmer tone of blue and more purple in the shadows. Also tried to make the hair less reliant on white highlights (which will cool colors of any color mixed with it) and more on straight lemon yellow, with red/orange shadows. These are pretty subtle changes, but a little variations in color temperature can make a big difference in overall effect.

A big difference indeed. After seeing your paintover, the original girl looks sickly. Thank you, Bacon!

Edit: Update:
    Girl_space_ch3.jpg

Do the color temperatures look better?

F87 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Nic that is fantastic and also I have to go play Earthbound again like this weekend. I wish it would hit the Nintendo wii marketplace.

are YOU on the beer list?
    Thanks! I tweaked the fog animation a bit when I got up this morning, I like the subtletly of the first one, but I wanted a bit of a variation.

EBroboWIP2-1.gif

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    That looks waaaay better F87. I like the weapon design too!

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    revisiting an older character

maxinedoodlesm.png

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Environment doodlery:

searocks.jpg

I think I'm improving with these, but results vary wildly

kevindee on
  • F87 wrote: »
    Do the color temperatures look better?
    :^:

Only suggestion I might make is to soften up some of the orange strokes on the face/neck so they blend in a bit more; a really subtle, minor point, but they do stand out just a touch at the moment.

Picked up some faber castell artist pens, so I've been playing around with them. Did a couple figure sketches from Posemaniacs.
    scan0040.jpg

• sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    tumblr_lzww2lfJbj1qbiru9o1_500.jpg
    Watercolour, ink and some digital work.

sharky t on
  • hamshams Registered User regular
    justabirdsketch.jpg

edited February 2012
    Love the flow of the lines hams! I wish I could sketch like that, it's very difficult for me to express a form with rough lines.

Just sketched out a little concept for a robot while listening to the M.U.S.H.A. soundtrack
    robotconcept.gif

EDIT: made this too spiderbotconceptside.gif

Nic on
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    kitty!

tumblr_m01du7wrMr1qaumawo1_500.jpg

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
This discussion has been closed.