As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    They broke a mil signups by the way

Which is a pretty impressive feat in just 2 days

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Imagine

if instead of beta sign ups

they'd been selling pre-orders that guarantee access to the beta

They wouldn't have hit a million because money is more than free

But imagine

reVerse on
  • RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    Rednaz wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    Lethinator wrote: »
    Decoy wrote: »
    Man. As someone who hasn't played the original in years (and really only played sparingly), the idea of getting any HoM stuff done seems daunting as hell. But, I doubt I'm really going to be missing anything.

HoM stuff is mostly eye-candy, no special buffs. I guarantee if you haven't already achieved a lot in GW1, it'll take too much time to be worth it.

Depends how far you want to go. You can get 15-17 or so just by completing the campaigns and the added content (and a few challenge runs for armor bits).

Getting twenty really isn't that hard either. It really only starts to get difficult after that, but not by much. After 30 it really starts to get hard, but loses its bang for the buck anyways. At least you get at least one item for each point earned up until 30 (plus a title every 5 and an extra bonus at 15, 20, 25, and 30).

Agreed (I'm going for 25), but the last few points to 20 can be a little time consuming, so i figure the 17 is about where you get if you don't want to really repeat any content. After 20 definitely gets a lot more grindy since you either have to put in lots of time or (ingame) cash to acquire each point.

Basically yah, but the grind has fallen somewhat at least for cash. You can do just a vanquish a day and get 8k in 30 minutes (1 zaishen silver coin goes for 1.6k) so it isn't too bad. I only need 4 more points for 30. 6 more 2nd year common minis for 36k total, a title, and completing War in Kryta for the wep and I'm done.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Playing TOR PvP in warzones, I've literally never once looked at a player's name. All I care about is killing them and winning the game, so that doesn't make a difference to me. I think their reasoning is sound though, as for people who might not venture into pvp it might encourage them, and it's not going to discourage anybody who wants the name, they just might dislike it a little and then get over it anyway.

In old school WoW AVs and ABs I check names regularly, that way I could smash their best guy and save the rest of my team the trouble.

This is a thing, and damn skippy it'd happen in their game if you could identify them. Now the indicators are more subtle (class, weapon preference, play style, location will mean a lot).

You'll still have names in regular PvP.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »
    Basically yah, but the grind has fallen somewhat at least for cash. You can do just a vanquish a day and get 8k in 30 minutes (1 zaishen silver coin goes for 1.6k) so it isn't too bad. I only need 4 more points for 30. 6 more 2nd year common minis for 36k total, a title, and completing War in Kryta for the wep and I'm done.
    Just so you don't get taken for a ride, you can easily sell Silver Zcoins for 2k a pop if you're patient, and 2nd year white undedicated pets should never cost more than 5k.

edited February 2012
    Question #26:
    What kind of loot do we get for killing other players?
    Answer:
    The same loot you get from killing mobs. I've gotten quite a few rare drops from players in the beta already :)

I'm gonna grind myself some epic hats by killing asura thieves.

reVerse on
  • KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    I wish I could remember my old password and such for Guild Wars. I was looking into it earlier. I could neither find the original cd or whatever I had (or the box) nor could I remember the login info.

Pretty magical for me as I still have my Tie Fighter CD and Mechwarrior 2 w/ expansion packs.

Man I miss those games. Love can only be described by taking a Nova out with no heatsinks and filled to the brim with ER Large Lazers and almost dieing every shot due to overheat.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Imagine

if instead of beta sign ups

they'd been selling pre-orders that guarantee access to the beta

They wouldn't have hit a million because money is more than free

But imagine

Would have been all over that like you wouldn't believe.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    I expect that's on the cards.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    I expect that's on the cards.

I sure hope so.

488W936.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »
    I wish I could remember my old password and such for Guild Wars. I was looking into it earlier. I could neither find the original cd or whatever I had (or the box) nor could I remember the login info.

Pretty magical for me as I still have my Tie Fighter CD and Mechwarrior 2 w/ expansion packs.

Man I miss those games. Love can only be described by taking a Nova out with no heatsinks and filled to the brim with ER Large Lazers and almost dieing every shot due to overheat.

I did that exact thing.

• KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

I did that exact thing.

Great minds think: Heatsinks? who needs 'em

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    You'll still have names in regular PvP.

And WvW only lasts two weeks. People that play way too much (me) would be able to recognize names in that time, but a vast majority of players would not.

• LethinatorLethinator Registered User regular

If you send them whatever info you DO have, such as your name, last 4 digits of card you may have used for subscription fees, names of any characters on your account, a list of possible e-mail addys associated with the account, name of guild you were in, etc, it's possible they can still recover it for you.

That's exactly what I did. I didn't remember any of my account info, but they figured it out.

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Wooooooooo!

kQwcZLJ.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Wooooooooo!

Congratulations. The whole team must be on cloud 9.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Wooooooooo!

Hey WaM, what are the chances we could get ArenaNet to sell a series of GW2 themed reinforced f5 keys?

I mean, mine took a heavy beating just to wait for the signups.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Wooooooooo!

You guys must be thrilled, congrats!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Wooooooooo!

You all deserve every last one too. And every one you get afterwards. And then some.

488W936.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So after 1 million signups, and knowing there isn't enough time to reach 2 million, did you all just like, have some cookies and cake and call it a day? :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    We closed it at just under 50 hours. I'm out of the office today, but my coworkers aren't the sit-back-and-take-it-easy types. ;)

kQwcZLJ.png
    That is fantastic

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    beaten

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    Gotta say, watching that video makes me glad I'm getting into video games as a career. It's a shit industry a lot of the time, but moments like that are priceless.

I look forward to giving them my money.

488W936.png
    And Chairman Moe comes in with another ninja edit to the thread title. Thanks again good sir!

488W936.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Corehealer wrote:
    And Chairman Moe comes in with another ninja edit to the thread title. Thanks again good sir!

Didn't want to mislead the masses.

E6LkoFK.png

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    *beavis and butthead* Heh heh... page 69.

In honour of this momentous occasion, I bought a Charr plush from the PA store. And maybe even that Charr tshirt. I'm usually all about making dwarves, or fat stocky bearded dudes to represent me when I play games, but something about the Charr just makes me want to play as them. :D

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Think about this, World as Myth.

The smallest town I've ever lived in was about 7 thousand people.
    If every single person in that entire town signed up for the beta, it would take over one hundred forty two identical towns to get as many beta signups as you got in the last 50 hours.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    hey WaM you said you're one of the people working on the Marketplace, right?
    I just read about it and it sounds awesome

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2012
    Rend wrote:

If every single person in that entire town signed up for the beta, it would take over one hundred forty two identical towns to get as many beta signups as you got in the last 50 hours.

I did the math, there are more beta signups than the entire country of Fiji, or 3 Icelands.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

Rend wrote: »

And there will surely be more then that as the game gets ever more exposed and eventually released.

Going to be a good future for ArenaNet very soon.

488W936.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Dayum, Arenanet got as many willing participants in 48 hours as Double Fine got in dollars in 24.

That's some damn good advertising, yo.

Not that it was necessary. Drool depth is rapidly approaching desk level, please release the game before my computer shorts out D:

edited February 2012

Yep, that's us. I'm extremely proud of it, but I can't talk about it yet.

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Rend wrote:

I did the math, there are more beta signups than the entire country of Fiji, or 3 Icelands.

THREE ICELANDS?!?

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Rend wrote:

Everyone in places like that should roll on the same server so we can have real wars in PvP.

Canada vs Fiji vs Iceland. Go!

Winner gets a tribute of the loser's most attractive specimens.

shryke on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

well that is a good endorsement!

the thing that I saw where I was like "whoa" was that there are going to be smartphone apps that you can use to buy items from other players

edited February 2012
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Rend wrote:

THREE ICELANDS?!?

And I mean, think about it. That figures in entire populations.
    The old, the young, the infants. Public servants, customer servants, engineers, ditch diggers. Volunteers, businessmen, doctors and lawyers, misers and philanthropists.

Three of all of iceland, not just the ones who are interested in your game.

Rend on
  • SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    You only want the first two Icelands, though. The third Iceland is a real dump.

steam_sig.png

well that is a good endorsement!

the thing that I saw where I was like "whoa" was that there are going to be smartphone apps that you can use to buy items from other players

where was this posted?

kQwcZLJ.png
This discussion has been closed.