As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    I cancelled my room at the Radisson since I won't be going anymore. So someone should go and grab it before its gone :P

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I cancelled my room at the Radisson since I won't be going anymore. So someone should go and grab it before its gone :P

:(

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:

:(

Yeah it wasn't a fun decision to make but for my current situation it was for the best. Better luck next year :D

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    Canceled an extra room I had at the Seaport (1 King) for Friday and Sat because I'm grouping up with a few friends. It hasn't shown up on the PAX hotel search yet and don't know how long it will take them to clear it, but if someone still needs it I'd give them a call tomorrow to see whats up.

E68SJmZ.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I am going to be staying in the Westin with a friend of mine. I can't wait. Last year I stayed with a friend who lived about a half an hour away and it kind of sucked having to commute every day. I am really looking forward to being able to jet back to my room if I need anything throughout the day. What did you guys think of the Westin last year? Is there free wifi available?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    That_Guy wrote:
    I am going to be staying in the Westin with a friend of mine. I can't wait. Last year I stayed with a friend who lived about a half an hour away and it kind of sucked having to commute every day. I am really looking forward to being able to jet back to my room if I need anything throughout the day. What did you guys think of the Westin last year? Is there free wifi available?

I loved the westin. I don't think the wifi was free though. Comfy beds, good service, and the proximity cannot be underestimated.

zerzhul on
    zerzhul wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:

I loved the westin. I don't think the wifi was free though. Comfy beds, good service, and the proximity cannot be underestimated.

I am curious, where were the entrances between PAX and the hotel? I remember hearing they were directly connected.

edited February 2012
    That_Guy wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:

I am curious, where were the entrances between PAX and the hotel? I remember hearing they were directly connected.

they are connected via a skybridge on the south-east facing side near the east corner of the center.

Edit: wrong cardinal directions

zerzhul on
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Due to financial/last minute reasons I ended up having to book at the Midtown Hotel. Wish it was closer for my wife (she will be about 8 months pregnant by PAX), but at least it has a shuttle. Anyone else there? Next year I book early and figure out the finances later.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I guess it's time to let my secret out. The Ramada Inn on Morrissey Boulevard is my hotel this year, as well as last. It's costing us $95 a night for the two of us, paying in advance. They have a free shuttle back and forth from the hotel to the BCEC every day of the convention, downside is that it stops at midnight (like everything else in Boston.) The hotel wasn't amazing, but it was cheap and they have free breakfast every morning.

It was maybe 10-15 minutes away from the BCEC by shuttle. Best place I found around the area, a local gave me the tip.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    I guess it's time to let my secret out. The Ramada Inn on Morrissey Boulevard is my hotel this year, as well as last. It's costing us $95 a night for the two of us, paying in advance. They have a free shuttle back and forth from the hotel to the BCEC every day of the convention, downside is that it stops at midnight (like everything else in Boston.) The hotel wasn't amazing, but it was cheap and they have free breakfast every morning.

It was maybe 10-15 minutes away from the BCEC by shuttle. Best place I found around the area, a local gave me the tip.

Hey, Crash. Stranger Pizza.

edited February 2012
    Only the Strangest of Pizza will do.

We need to make sure we get a group together for drinks again. Like, every night.

Preferably a place that forgets to charge us for half our drinks again.

UEAKCrash on
  • RastRast Keene NHRegistered User regular
    pureval wrote:
    Due to financial/last minute reasons I ended up having to book at the Midtown Hotel. Wish it was closer for my wife (she will be about 8 months pregnant by PAX), but at least it has a shuttle. Anyone else there? Next year I book early and figure out the finances later.

I'll be staying there. It should be a hoot and a half!

Pax East 2015: Hotel [X] Passes [X] PokeCrawl [ ] Pure Joy [X]
  • Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    last year I was able to grab a 4* hotel from Priceline for $100/night (ended up being the Westin Copley). I've been trying to book a hotel through priceline for the past week with no luck at all....even 2 1/2 * hotels won't accept $100/night....crazy...I guess they wised up. ugh.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    Only the Strangest of Pizza will do.

We need to make sure we get a group together for drinks again. Like, every night.

Preferably a place that forgets to charge us for half our drinks again.

We need to venture a bit farther from the CON this year. I am NOT going to pay 12 or 13 bucks per drink at a hotel bar again. It wasn't even good vodka they used.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    last year I was able to grab a 4* hotel from Priceline for $100/night (ended up being the Westin Copley). I've been trying to book a hotel through priceline for the past week with no luck at all....even 2 1/2 * hotels won't accept $100/night....crazy...I guess they wised up. ugh.

Have you tried Kayak?

I don't know what booking through them is like so that's up to you, but you will want to read this before you do anything with what you found.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    Two questions regarding the Westin:

1.) My friends and I are renting a car and driving it up to Pax. What is the deal with parking at the Westin? Does it cost extra or is it included in the room rate? I couldn't find the info on their website (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?)

2.) Does the Westin have a policy with the number of room occupants? We have a room booked with one bed (so basically for 1-2 people) but two of my other friends who are coming were wondering if they could room with us. So that would be 4 people in a room with one king bed. (the other two would just have to use sleeping bags or something). Would the Westin not allow this? It would significantly lower the price for me if I were splitting the room 4 ways, and we certainly don't mind sharing the shower/room space since we will be spending most of our time outside of the hotel anyway.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get things in order! So excited to be in the Westin and that Pax is only 44 days away! whoot!

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
    MissMoogle wrote:

1.) My friends and I are renting a car and driving it up to Pax. What is the deal with parking at the Westin? Does it cost extra or is it included in the room rate? I couldn't find the info on their website (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?)

It costs extra. I think it was around $30/night with in/out privs last year.
    MissMoogle wrote:
    2.) Does the Westin have a policy with the number of room occupants? We have a room booked with one bed (so basically for 1-2 people) but two of my other friends who are coming were wondering if they could room with us. So that would be 4 people in a room with one king bed. (the other two would just have to use sleeping bags or something). Would the Westin not allow this? It would significantly lower the price for me if I were splitting the room 4 ways, and we certainly don't mind sharing the shower/room space since we will be spending most of our time outside of the hotel anyway.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get things in order! So excited to be in the Westin and that Pax is only 44 days away! whoot!

They do. I'm not sure if they even officially allow 4 people in a room with 1 king. Lots of people do that anyhow, however. It's an "at your own risk" thing to book a room for less occupancy than you will actually be using. If you're causing a ruckus, or making a huge mess, it might become an issue.

• MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    MissMoogle wrote:

MissMoogle wrote:

They do. I'm not sure if they even officially allow 4 people in a room with 1 king. Lots of people do that anyhow, however. It's an "at your own risk" thing to book a room for less occupancy than you will actually be using. If you're causing a ruckus, or making a huge mess, it might become an issue.

Ok! Thanks so much for the quick response! I will talk it over with my friends and see what they think...I know for sure we won't be causing a ruckus (considering when we're back in the room we will most likely pass out haha) but if they have a very strict policy it might not even be worth it.

Thanks again!

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
    MissMoogle wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    MissMoogle wrote:

MissMoogle wrote:

Ok! Thanks so much for the quick response! I will talk it over with my friends and see what they think...I know for sure we won't be causing a ruckus (considering when we're back in the room we will most likely pass out haha) but if they have a very strict policy it might not even be worth it.

Thanks again!

It's all a matter of regulations. I am certain that if you tell them "I'm putting 4 people in a room that has a max fire code capacity of 3" or something like that, they would take issue. However, people often overfill rooms without problems. Your decision will lie in how much risk you are willing to take. You could always call the hotel and simply ask what the max fire code occupancies are for their 1 king bed and 2 double bed rooms. If you're not over the max occupancy but have more people in the room than you told them about, the worst they are likely to do is charge you more money if they catch on.

Personally, I choose not to take the risk, but many take it and are successful. YMMV.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    The fact that Anime Boston is happening the same time, (near Copley) means that Boston is going to have a solid gathering of game and anime nerds for Easter.

Boston Marathon is also taking place the following weekend. Busy time for the city for sure.

• crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    sigh, there was a room available at the westin boston waterfront and when i went to check out i got as far as putting in all my personal info but when i clicked submit nothing happened. i refreshed the page and the hotel was sold out again. sad face

its a secret to everyone
  • staceyb627staceyb627 Mom, Gamer Richmond, VARegistered User new member
    This year we will be staying at the Seaport. Thank you forums and twitter. Last year was our second East, but the first one we brought our son to. Other than Prime in 2008, this is the first PaX that we are staying super close to the venue. While I am sure being right there is amazing, staying further away never, in any way, made any of us feel like we were missing out. If anything, it gives you a chance to chat with people on the trains (which I guarantee you will find other attendees on them :) ) and talk about what we were most looking forward to seeing on the way there and chat/debate what was actually the best thing we saw on the way back to the hotel. It has become our yearly family vacation, and we wouldn't have it any other way! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

• rascalrascal Registered User regular
    The Westin just opened up over 6 king-bed rooms for April 5-9 -- if you've been waiting for the Westin, book now!

• BIGmogBIGmog DenverRegistered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I guess it's time to let my secret out. The Ramada Inn on Morrissey Boulevard is my hotel this year, as well as last.

Thanks for the hot hotel tip. I booked a room there too. Hard to beat $95 a night.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    rascal wrote:
    The Westin just opened up over 6 king-bed rooms for April 5-9 -- if you've been waiting for the Westin, book now!

Solid, thanks for the heads-up, I'd gotten Friday-Saturday, but was still stuck on my Thursday night plans.

BIGmog wrote: »
    I guess it's time to let my secret out. The Ramada Inn on Morrissey Boulevard is my hotel this year, as well as last.

Thanks for the hot hotel tip. I booked a room there too. Hard to beat $95 a night.

If you see a guy wandering around there with a blonde mohawk, say hi! :)

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    rascal wrote: »

All gone. :cry:

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Frugus wrote:

Have you tried Kayak?

I don't know what booking through them is like so that's up to you, but you will want to read this before you do anything with what you found.

Yeah, I tried Kayak - I ended up using Hotwire - they listed a $98 3 1/2 * Hotel if you are willing to pay upfront without knowing the name of it - Turned out to be the Club Quarters in the quincy/ financial district. Looks like rooms are normally $199, so I'd say I made out...and its only about 1.5 miles away from PAX.

Total gamble as I didn't know the name of it.....and also had to pay upfront, so no cancellations....but it's a risk i'm willing to take.

Got Haggis? on
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I strongly encourage folks to keep watching the reservation system for openings, especially as the weekend draws nearer. People are starting to firm up plans and availability will fluctuate. I know I'm not the only person who picked up a Westin reservation last year in the final week, as people started canceling - and it was a no-brainer to cancel my slightly cheaper reservation a few miles away to be connected to the BCEC 24/7. I'd still keep a fall-back reservation somewhere else, but I wouldn't settle until it's clear that there really aren't rooms.

• Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    I'll be at the Seaport with a few people!

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    I guess it's time to let my secret out. The Ramada Inn on Morrissey Boulevard is my hotel this year, as well as last

My group and I just booked that last month, glad too see we wont be the only PAXers. Aside from the $95/night and shuttle what sold us was the arcade/bowling alley/pool hall up the street. Any idea if that and the brewery are worth checking out?

• mahshahmahshah Registered User regular
    Just booked on Hotwire for cheap and ended up getting the "Constitution Inn". Looks decent considering what I paid for it, doesn't look like the public transportation is really optimal though and I doubt there's a shuttle or anything. Oh well.

Anyone had experience with this place?

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    just remember that when you get a great deal, it's usually for a reason. not that it makes it a bad idea, you should just know what you're getting. for example, the ramada inn on morrisey is in dorchester, an area that's starting to become trendy but is still a bit dicey in spots, and the constitution inn is also a ymca. again, doesn't make these bad choices, just be aware of what you're getting into and take cabs or drive to/from the con if you get any bad vibes about the neighborhood you're in.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • mahshahmahshah Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    YMCA huh? Heh, I guess that's what hotwire meant when they listed "fitness center" as an hotel amenity. Downsides to Hotwire's system of not knowing the name of the hotel you are buying I suppose. I've stayed in some trashy places though, hopefully this isn't too bad. I guess I should look up info about cabs in advance though, just in case.

Its right next to the Navy yard though so I can take the ferry to the Long Wharf and should be able to walk from there. Yay!

mahshah on
    edited February 2012
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    just remember that when you get a great deal, it's usually for a reason. not that it makes it a bad idea, you should just know what you're getting. for example, the ramada inn on morrisey is in dorchester, an area that's starting to become trendy but is still a bit dicey in spots, and the constitution inn is also a ymca. again, doesn't make these bad choices, just be aware of what you're getting into and take cabs or drive to/from the con if you get any bad vibes about the neighborhood you're in.

Yelp & TripAdvisor reviews of some of these places are your friends - there are some places that I wouldn't choose to stay at to save a few bucks, after seeing what other travelers have to say.

Through a series of unfortunate events involving overbooked rooms and bad directions, we spent the night before PAX East last year at the Comfort Inn on Morrissey right across the street from that Ramada. We were up half the night due to police activity and the front desk indicated (from behind their bulletproof window) that was a common occurrence. If I'd had the option of looking at reviews before we stayed there... I wouldn't have. I'm a firm believer in being an educated consumer. :)

It's also worth watching Last Minute Travel for hotel rooms on the cheap - this is where a lot of Dragon*Con attendees watch for hotel openings and discounts in that heavily booked-up area of Atlanta.

adastra on
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    I'll second the tripadvisor "advice" and also if you are using hotwire or priceline betterbidding.com usually has a pretty good list that can identify what hotel you are going to get.

JerYnkFan wrote: »
    I'll second the tripadvisor "advice" and also if you are using hotwire or priceline betterbidding.com usually has a pretty good list that can identify what hotel you are going to get.

That's also a really great point - a lot of the "anonymous" hotels on bidding/discount sites actually use unique text (or other identifying details) that's easily tied back to a specific hotel. If Better Bidding doesn't help you, a simple Google search on the hotel's feature text sometimes turns up the hotel's site. So even "blind" hotel bookings don't always have to be!

RevGutter wrote: »
    I guess it's time to let my secret out. The Ramada Inn on Morrissey Boulevard is my hotel this year, as well as last

My group and I just booked that last month, glad too see we wont be the only PAXers. Aside from the $95/night and shuttle what sold us was the arcade/bowling alley/pool hall up the street. Any idea if that and the brewery are worth checking out?

Didn't go to the brewery, but the arcade/ bowling alley was pretty much across the parking lot from the hotel. I only ran inside to use their ATM, but it looked nice. Didn't get much of a look at the arcade though.

• DragantDragant BostonRegistered User regular
    I had no idea what Hotel was connected to the BCEC, so its too late to book their now. Going with my GF, we live about half an hour away but contemplating getting a hotel close enough to walk. Closest one is Boston Marriott Long Wharf, would take about half an hour walking. Worth it?