As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Rocky Road To Dublin

Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed VigiloConfidoRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, suppose a hypothetical individual were planning to visit Ireland and do a lap around the island -- perhaps with a jaunt through London and Bruges for good measure.

What are some things this hypothetical individual should see/do/eat/drink/learn/bring while there? Besides obvious things like kissing the Blarneystone.

Furthermore, what are the hazards and unusual circumstances such a hypothetical individual should be aware of?
It's me. I'm the hypothetical individual.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
Gandalf_the_Crazed on

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Ireland has no post/zip-codes except in some districts of Dublin. So if using a car, be aware if trying to use a sat-nav.

• Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    National Museum of Ireland in Dublin was pretty cool if you're in to history at all. Walking around Dublin, particularly the Temple Bar (Templebar?) district was fun, stop in some book shops, find the Dublin Historical Society building, see some surprisingly awesome street performers, if you are more in the mood for some wondering adventures. The Guinness brewery is there if you're in to that at all. I don't remember Galway being that interesting, but that could have been my fault.

If you go to London and are there for a couple days, definitely check out art museums, especially the Tate Modern, British Museum, and the Imperial War Museum. I'd also suggest making the trip down to Portsmouth to see the HMS Victory, The HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose. As you can tell, I dig museums and historic stuff, but the Victory is pretty amazing for something made of wood in served in the American Revolution through the Napoleonic Wars, and still around to walk around in today. If you liked Master and Commander at all, you should see it.

XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If you like pretty do the Ring of Kerry (its like a 4-6 hour drive to do the ring, but its totally worth it) and see the Cliffs of Moher. Basically, if youve seen pictures of Ireland theyve all been taken in those two areas.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    In Dublin:
    Trinity College, Dublin Castle, and the Guinness brewery. There are very few street signs in the city, so travel can be a challenge. It's pretty scary trying to drive around if you aren't used to it yet. Try to see the book of kells if it's on display, in Trinity College. Head to the Temple Bar district and have more drinks. Try to find some trad music if you can!

Blarney castle is more cool for the bloodstained druid altar and fourteen bazillion year old yew tree than for the kissing stone bit.

In Connacht: Drive through the Burren (border of Co. Claire and Co. Galway), and go visit the dolmen there. Completely unique geography! O'Brien's tower and the cliffs of Moher there are astounding. Please don't die, you seriously can fall off the edge and end your life.

Try to hit a Saturday morning in Galway city - the open air market is super fun, and there's a crepe stand I still have dreams about. Assuming it hasn't closed, there's a kickass burrito place there if you're looking for a taste of home (and think Tex-Mex is home cooking...).

In Connemara: travel west from Galway on the north side of the bay and just drive around the edge of the country. Take the N59 and then get off to head for Roundstone. Then make for Clifden, then turn north. It's absolutely amazing. Drive through the Twelve Pins (sometimes called Twelve Bens) if you're up for some wild and untamed west country bogland. Aim for Kylemore Abbey and take the tour. Connemara is about the countryside! Pull the car over and walk around in it. Try not to sink into the swamp - no seriously, it can be a bit mucky and dangerous after a rain.
    Try to visit Ashburn Castle. Actually you can get a meal in Cong, then walk through Cong wood and sneak on to the grounds - they really don't care.

In Limerick: Drive fast and don't stop at red lights. You will be knifed in the street and your skin sold as a sofa cover. But seriously, there's nothing to do in Limerick but realize why they named the town after a comical poetry meter - there's nothing better before or since to come out of the place.

In Cork City: Leave Cork City and head for Co. Kerry. Drive around the Ring of Kerry.

In Northern Ireland: Drive through it to see the Giant's Causeway in the far north, then drive out again. There's a nice national park on the RoI side in Co. Monaghan, across the border from Armagh, where you can relax.

I know I'm forgetting a lot - I never spent much time on the east coast or in Kerry. Wexford was beautiful the one time I went. Cork was pretty blah every time I went. Limerick was scary at night. Connemara stole my heart. :)

spool32 on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Oh - do not assume you will make anything like good time travelling around Ireland on the roads. They are dire - it can take 4-5 hours to drive from Galway to Dublin. That distance is almost exactly the same as Austin to Houston, and I can make that drive in 2.

Expect a lot of twisty roads and budget more travel time than you think you'll need.