As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WrestleMania XXVIII] So long from the sunshine state

• MartianMartian Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hjorvarthr wrote:

He was included in the opening montage credits on Monday, so that has to be a good sign.

Martian on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    If Funkasaurus isn't at the Breslin Center on March 10th I'm gonna start throwing chairs in the ring.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    I don't care if its been said. First there was SmackDown, then we got Super SmackDown, so when do we get Super SmackDown Turbo?

They'll just hire a bunch of broken down wrestlers from the early 90s and call it SmackDown Alpha.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    ShPm4.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Why is Sarah Jessica Parker nude and holding a WWE title

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Hey what's Horse doing with the WWE championship? Last I saw he was in a tag team with Fox called Forse.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    As noted before, Drew McIntyre is set to be re-packaged with an "arrogant playboy" gimmick soon. According to fans at this weekend's SmackDown live event in Honduras, Drew appeared to be acting more sexually and flirting with male fans in the crowd, even blowing kisses at some. He also stopped in the middle of his match against Ezekiel Jackson to comb his hair. Drew still lost the match to Zeke.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    The WWE could use another Rick Rude/Goldust angle.

I guess they killed the dashing Cody Rhodes one for the most part.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Flirting with male fans in the crowd?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Cool, just found out Davey Richards is coming back to my area for an indy show in a month.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    HEY

HEY DICKS

Who wants to read a drunken review of WCW Nitro once I write it

It's not gonna be good Nitro either

I'm talking June 2000 "What the fuck are they doing" nitro

And it'll be a review full of vitriol and anger and confusion and booze

I do

Buttlord wrote: »
    HEY

HEY DICKS

Is it the June 5 one from Atlanta?

wirehead26 wrote:
    HEY

HEY DICKS

June 19, why what was the June 5 one

For the record

I have watched Nitro once

I was drunk then too

wirehead26 wrote:
    HEY

HEY DICKS

June 19, why what was the June 5 one

For the record

I have watched Nitro once

I was drunk then too

It featured Goldberg's in-ring return squashing Tank Abbot (that was the only good thing), Eric Bischoff winning a title, Vince Russo defeating Ric Flair, and Kevin Nash defeating the ENTIRE heel lockerroom of WCW. I did not make that last part up. I have proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HY_intJPQ4

Well

I picked the June 19 one because last time I did June 12

I was pretty drunk and it ended halfway through when I realized it was going to be Hulk Hogan vs Jeff Jarrett and I hate those two when I'm sober

I seem to remember the last June 2000 WCW shows weren't that bad due to Russo having a fit and leaving which put Terry Taylor in charge for the time.

I vaguely remember Bischoff saying David Flair was like a son to him and even drunk this pissed me off

Or maybe because I was drunk it pissed me off

Or both

It's too bad that Bischoff's actual son is like a son to him.

Too bad for people who watch TNA at least.

I don't

I don't think anyone watches TNA

They sure as hell don't watch their PPVs. But the show still gets over a millions a week somehow, so someone has to be watching them.

I've given IMPACT a chance again

Mainly because they now have Samoa Joe and Magnus as tag champs

Goddammit I don't care if TNA is still awful, I just can't hate them for giving Magnus a belt and remembering that they still have Joe

I haven't

Because it's not even bad in that really trainwrecky way that late WCW was

Where you just sit there going "how...you...but...what?"

No, it's bad in the way where you know they think this is a good idea, and you know why they think that, but the idea is still shit

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    ....What the hell is with the ref counting with no pin?

Goose! wrote: »
    ....What the hell is with the ref counting with no pin?

That's what everyone said when this first happened. It still hasn't been answered.

"Russo is a genius" is all you need to know.

Whenever WCW is mentioned, I feel I must link to this: Quotes from Wrestling Observer issues during the last few years of WCW

For those who have never read it, here are some examples of what to expect:
    "In a TV commercial in the Nashville market for the 2/18 PPV, the voiceover really says 'expect a night of run-ins'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 12, 2001
    "Michael Buffer came out for absolutely no reason. See, he was there to announce the main event. But get this, there was no main event. Flair, at this moment, fell out of the turnip truck, grabbed a hoe and kept falling down" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 22, 1999
    "There will be an open change on WCW Saturday Night to go along with all the visual changes on Nitro. The changes in Nitro remind me of putting a nice, fresh coat of paint on a house that had just been hit by a Tornado" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999
    "Nash sold very little considering it was a 16-on-1 beating" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999
    "Bret Hart is planning on returning at the (big Georgia Dome show). In WCW's infinite wisdom on Nitro this week, they never once mentioned Hart was coming back but did do an angle to build for the Ernest Miller vs. Jerry Flynn match for the show" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999

Ugh Michael Buffer. Even back then it was starting to leak out what a piece of garbage he was yet WCW still insisted on paying him a shit load of money to read off cue cards.

Weirdly though he wasn't at the Georgia Dome for the Hogan/Goldberg match.

• Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    On that "list" remember to consider the source. The "observer" isn't exactly the most neutral party in existence. Not saying WCW towards the end wasn't WCW-tastic, but you do have to take some things with a bucket of salt.

edit: hell that goes for them with the WWE now even.

Amikron Devalia on
    "Scott Hall had problems on the first plane going to Germany, where he apparently got sick and was harrassing Terry Taylor the entire weekend in Germany. He got into a fight with sometime girlfriend Emily Sherman (neice of Turner exec Brad Siegel) including a cake throwing incident. In the dressing room, he made a threat that he was going to do something to Taylor in the ring. This led to a roughly 35 to 40 minute delay in the building before Thunder started with this mess being sorted out. Dave Penzer was trying to kill time telling jokes which only made things worse because the crowd was killing him. The reaction was largely negative, but they weren't throwing things at him and it never threatened to become violent"

If only we knew how much WORSE things would get for Hall...

On that "list" remember to consider the source. The "observer" isn't exactly the most neutral party in existence. Not saying WCW towards the end wasn't WCW-tastic, but you do have to take some things with a bucket of salt.

What exactly are you taking about?

Schide wrote: »

I think he means that the Observer is not always correct in their "facts".

wirehead26 wrote:
    Schide wrote: »

I think he means that the Observer is not always correct in their "facts".

Rex King approves.

It was live reviews that they did as it happened during the WCW era.

Yeah it's the Observer, but it's really hard to misinterpret something that you watch as it happens.

"Jarrett introduced Russo as the guy who turned the WWF around and called him Vince McMahon's best kept secret. Russo came out to the Road Warriors music. He talked about getting screwed by the good ol' boys while a great percentage of both the live and TV audience had no clue what he was talking about. Bischoff came out to tease a confrontation, but they hugged. They announced that all of the titles were vacated. When Sid was teasing he was going to hit Bischoff, Bischoff made a comment about Sid not having scissors. Bischoff was so clearly stunned that the crowd didn't react to the scissors line that he must have thought that they didn't hear it the first time, so he said it again, also to no reaction." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 17, 2000.

• Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    The live stuff yes, but there is a ton of stuff "backstage" etc. Also we've all seen the list, no need for us to do three pages of list quotes again.

I really hope funky is brought back into a decent feud, I would like to see him do something long term, a guy like Otunga might be a good fit for him.

The live stuff yes, but there is a ton of stuff "backstage" etc. Also we've all seen the list, no need for us to do three pages of list quotes again.

I really hope funky is brought back into a decent feud, I would like to see him do something long term, a guy like Otunga might be a good fit for him.

I'd like to see him back as well but I can see WWE holding off on putting him back on television till after Mania. Besides if the reports of Vince thinking he's currently too dangerous in the ring are true then I could see him working on that till April.

I can see them keeping Brodus off TV till after Mania

In fact that would probably be for the best, as already they have enough guys on TV to build up Mania matches for that if they were to bring him back, it would have to be for a joke backstage skit at most

If Vince really said that, I'd find it a bit funny, considering Mr. Big Show there.

Brodus has been dangerous with his leaping finisher, so I can see that

And Big Show hasn't really hurt anybody until two weeks ago

This has just been unfortunate circumstances and accidents

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    The problem was they just had the Funkasaurus squash people, nothing else

Should have had done a backstage segment or two with Santino or Johnny Ace or well anybody

and saying Clay needed more "experience" but then just sent him home? That was dumb, that's why NXT and Superstars exist

This discussion has been closed.