As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Syndicate: Sharp uprise in eye-stabbings THIS WEEK

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Well I think that RPS review failed when they only wanted to directly compare it to Deus Ex.

As soon as any review starts out in the mindset that they are comparing the game to something else, they are going to mainly find shortcomings of how its not like the similar game.

The other interesting thing is the shooter mechanics in Deus Ex are my least favourite parts of the game, whereas in Syndicate they are pretty awesome. I loved Deus Ex though.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Ya same, I loved DE:HR... but I did a stealth/hacking play mainly. When I did fiddle with the gunplay, it was the typical cover based shooter... very generic.

The weapons in this just have a nice feel to them... although I really just use sniper/shotgun.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, this is Deus Ex with really good shooting. I'm enjoying it. I agree with some of what RPS has to say, but I think he's being very overly harsh. The guns feel great, I feel like a badass taking out a whole room, hacking grenades is great, boss fights suck dick and the story is fine. Oh, and Michael Wincott should voice all games now.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Also that review openly said he's just talking about single player... which is nothing compared to the co-op.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    co-op is this game's defining feature, really. seems silly that he wouldn't include that in the review.

we need to get some more co-op games going, playing with pubs who don't change the difficulty or map gets old.

Are you the magic man?
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I'll be looking for some PS3 folk to try out the co-op when I get home in a couple hours if anyone's interested

PSN SeGaTai
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    OK, is there any way to make the mouse not horrendously floaty as shit in this game

like this is such bad mouse input it makes me want to gouge my own eyes out

any way to force raw input using inis?

obF2Wuw.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Now, there is an article on their site about the co-op. From Alec Meer:
    If my ultimate expression after Syndicate’s singleplayer was :/, you may be :-D to hear that my response to co-op is :)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    RPS has been overbearingly whiny about single player first person games for a long time now. Very few games are good enough for them, and they find a ton to complain about even with the best of them. And almost every commenter is worse, sometimes I think they actually get off on shitting on video games.

The shooting in Deus Ex 3 was lousy, in Syndicate it's phenomenal. The graphics and atmosphere are just as impressive if not better, too. I thought the special abilities were really useful and I always put thought into which one I used in combat situations. I also thought the skill selection was pretty important.

Heisenberg on
    OK, is there any way to make the mouse not horrendously floaty as shit in this game

like this is such bad mouse input it makes me want to gouge my own eyes out

any way to force raw input using inis?

disable vsync

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    hit vsync immediately

still floating

im guessing its to do with some post processing that this laptops graphics card cant handle, but sadly my desktop has died so thats not an option

ill just wait until i get a new pc together before doing anything i guess

obF2Wuw.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Rolo wrote:

Ouch. "Not kind" is a bit of an understatement.

Reading his point 2 practically broke my brain. RPS have been among the biggest apologists on the internet about the FPS "reboot" of XCOM you can imagine. That he turns around and makes that complaint about Syndicate, which unequivocally has a LOT to do with the original game (especially in coop) is just so brain meltingly dumb I have no idea what to say. It does make them look like complete hypocrites when they vehmently defend how XCOM is basically nothing like the original and then turn around to accuse Syndicate of might as well being "My little pony".

Personally, when this game comes out here in Australia and is a bit cheaper I'll definitely be buying Syndicate. Especially based on giantbombs quicklook that I've just watched - Jeff really sold me on the game. I just hope I can find someone to play it coop with here in Aussie (because I'm sure all of you posting right now will have moved well on by the time Australia unbans it or I get the time/effort to import it).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    My favorite RPS article is the one in which John Walker comes to the conclusion that Curse of Monkey Island isn't quite as stupid and ugly as he's thought all these years.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So anyone else having trouble with (Chapter 8 achievement)
    the Wetware Integrity Policy achievement?

I can't seem to get it, despite the fact I can't remember hitting any civilians with the minigun.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Do you guys have it on PC? I'm reading that the bloom is ridiculous to the point of blinding you. Anyone confirm this?

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Bought this on PC yesterday, will try it out after work.
    Hope it's good in co-op!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Someone out there conjure up a way to turn the bloom down/off. I'm going blind.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Do you guys have it on PC? I'm reading that the bloom is ridiculous to the point of blinding you. Anyone confirm this?

The lighting is ridiculous and pretty annoying.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Did anyone else go out of their way to keep civilians alive in the gun battles? Would have been awesome if there was a cheevo for that

I like how the civvies are more or less non entities to the Syndicates, they're completely indifferent to them unless they're in the way, in which they're a liability

override367 on
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else go out of their way to keep civilians alive in the gun battles? Would have been awesome if there was a cheevo for that

I like how the civvies are more or less non entities to the Syndicates, they're completely indifferent to them unless they're in the way, in which they're a liability

One of the core elements of the 1993 original.

bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    So yep the last boss can go fuck itself.

Been playing on hard but even after bumping the difficulty down to normal I just can't get past the second stage.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Regarding that last fight
    You can raise those pillars as they are being lowered. You don't have to wait for them to go all the way down. Realizing that helped me quite a bit.

Also, keep breaching his armor, even if you know you don't have time to start shooting. Every time someone is breached, they are stunned briefly. You can use that time to get to a better position and heal.

see my post above

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited February 2012

Been playing on hard but even after bumping the difficulty down to normal I just can't get past the second stage.

Do you have the 7 second invulnerability at near-death? Without that I don't think I could have beaten him on hard.

Heisenberg on
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Do you have the 7 second invulnerability at near-death? Without that I don't think I could have beaten him on hard.

Nope, went for the increased regen speed/activation because I never found myself that hurt.

But now it would help a lot, especially
    in the stage where he starts to move a bunch faster and is all "woop shotgun fuck you I've invulnerable and my armour recharges at the speed of light."

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If anyone is playing PC co-op, add me.

Bad_Haggis88

Do we have a syndicate?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

Bad_Haggis88

Do we have a syndicate?

We do, but there are like... 3 people in it. I think Gerbil is CEO. I'll add you, but I don't think I can invite you to the CEO itself.

Are you the magic man?
    Woo finally finished the campaign. I was running all over when staying round the middle seemed to be the best strategy.

Played a bunch of co op. People on 360 are surprisingly competant and the last mission is no joke.

edited February 2012
    Frei wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »

Bad_Haggis88

Do we have a syndicate?

We do, but there are like... 3 people in it. I think Gerbil is CEO. I'll add you, but I don't think I can invite you to the CEO itself.

@TheKoolEagle is the CEO. He made me like an executive or something though.

TheGerbil on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Soloed the first mission on Normal after refining my tactics on the last guy. Got about 21k points out of it so nice to know I can just grind out some stuff if I am ever in the mood.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    okay seriously: Is Wetware Integrity Policy unlocking for you guys?

I cannot unlock it no matter how many times I run the level without killing civilians

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Do you ever get new guns for your loadouts or are the upgrades just for the ones you pick up in a mission?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Played through half the campaign probably then went and did a bunch of co-op. Going back to campaign, Co-op teaches me some bad lessons about how many bullets I need to put into guys before they stop shooting me that are very hard to unlearn

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
  • PeteRoseHairPeteRoseHair Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I'll be looking for some PS3 folk to try out the co-op when I get home in a couple hours if anyone's interested

I usually get in a few rounds after work, and it'd be nice to play with someone who won't invite me to join the "Marijuana Death Kill" syndicate. Thanks but no thanks, xXxFallenSkullxXx.

I'm WildVulture312 on PSN.

PeteRoseHair on
    steam_sig.png
    Lanz wrote: »
    okay seriously: Is Wetware Integrity Policy unlocking for you guys?

I cannot unlock it no matter how many times I run the level without killing civilians

PC version doesn't have cheevos that I can see so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Got it on my first run.

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Finished up the co-op with Klyka this evening on Normal.

Now to do it all again on Hard.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    So I was super pumped to unlock the grenade launcher for the TAR39, though you apparently don't get more ammo for it at all the ammo checkpoints. Anyone know if there any drops for more in the co-ops missions or if this is a bug or what.

PSN SeGaTai
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I just found out that Rosario Dawson is in this. Interest increased. It would have been neat if they gave her character a Mohawk.

It will be interesting to see how the media reacts to the low morality storyline.

Indie sellers on Amazon are selling the PC version in the $30 range. What is up with that?

Krathoon on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    So I was super pumped to unlock the grenade launcher for the TAR39, though you apparently don't get more ammo for it at all the ammo checkpoints. Anyone know if there any drops for more in the co-ops missions or if this is a bug or what.

It is weird. You have to pick other TAR rifles to replenish the grenades.

Select the GL (even if you have 0 grenades) and pick other rifles found in the floor as if you were collecting ammo. For example, pick those in a check point in Gabron's mission and you will replenish one grenade for each.

I need to pick up this game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA