As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gears of War IP sold to Microsoft Studios: The End of an Era

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Two more events and I pop War Supporter. Whee.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well, unlocked Instagib melee. Just need 40 more engineer ribbons and I'll be able to convince my brother to try Insane.

Speaking of, does the infinite ammo carry over to Clay's bow and Sam's Longshot in arcade or is it just for the starting rifles/shotguns?

newSig.jpg
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    just starting weapons and all pistols.

• NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    I played boom snipes earlier. Espanta, you started playing just as I was getting off. :(

edited February 2012
    NeuralFizz wrote:
    I played boom snipes earlier. Espanta, you started playing just as I was getting off. :(

Oh sorry man , I only played three games anyway . Now im watching a movie lol. Could of used you since I ended up joining a game in the middle of the first round and had to cary a level 17 15 80 and 60 against a team of green levels. We won but I had to drag them by the fucking hair.

edit-I am 6 executions from my gold execution medal and my batteries are dead.

EspantaPajaro on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Anyone feel like achievement hunting today?

SirUltimos wrote:

Maybe not today, but I'm up for achievementing the new ones soon. Maybe when Forces of Nature comes out and we can knock out a bunch at once?

Willeth wrote:
    SirUltimos wrote:

Maybe not today, but I'm up for achievementing the new ones soon. Maybe when Forces of Nature comes out and we can knock out a bunch at once?

Comes out the 27th of next month man that's a long time to wait.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'll need to wait until after the middle of april before my schedule clears up enough to meet up with you guys, otherwise my late work schedule combined with being on Alaska time kinda runs into issues.

edited February 2012
    Every fucking game tonight I was against a party of 3/4/5 with an entire team of randoms. EVERY FUCKING GAME. Shouldn't you be in fucking ranked if you have a team ? Goddamnit man.

I might as well go into ranked alone if it thats how its going to be.

EspantaPajaro on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Every fucking game tonight I was against a party of 3/4/5 with an entire team of randoms. EVERY FUCKING GAME. Shouldn't you be in fucking ranked if you have a team ? Goddamnit man.

I might as well go into ranked alone if it thats how its going to be.

When I was on Gears 3 MP, I did ranked solo at times. It's pretty much a guaranteed dedicated server to play on.

I have a lot of GoW3 achievements that I'd like to knock out too. Definitely wouldn't mind doing a PA group session if I don't get around to a TA grouper first.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    So my girlfriend, I and @Willeth finished the campaign in co-op last night, only for her to not get any of the achievements for finishing the game. She'd been hosting all the way through, always hitting 'Continue' so we picked up from where we left, and she'd got all the act-completion achievements as we played through. Got to the end and I'm the only one getting any of them. Did some investigating, and it doesn't seem to have logged any of her progress prior to playing Act 5 last night.

Guess which one out of us two really hates Gears of War now?

forumsig.png
    Oh wow I just played with one of the youtube players I like to watch and a friend of his. Sent him a message saying how I liked his videos but didn't try to talk to him lest I appear stalkish. I also have better stats then him on KOTH :bz

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Next time you should ask him if he wants to go to your birthday party.

NibCrom wrote: »

Lol don't like him THAT much. It was just super cool to see a player that I know of in my games. I did pretty well too .

• NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Espanta I plan on being on this weekend, LETS DO THIS BROOOOO

NeuralFizz wrote: »
    Espanta I plan on being on this weekend, LETS DO THIS BROOOOO

Saturday from 8 am - 3pm im at a military event. After that sure just invite me when you see me on.

Lol don't like him THAT much. It was just super cool to see a player that I know of in my games. I did pretty well too .

May I ask who it was?

edited February 2012

May I ask who it was?

Jaieazy , he does some cod videos too. No one too major but I thought it was cool.

EspantaPajaro on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have tons of achievements I would love to get and would be interested in helping others get. I kind of got distracted by Skyrim and other RPGs so haven't played a lot of gears in a while.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    [wrong topic]

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    [wrong topic]

No , you were just subconsciously posting in the superior third person multiplayer game.
    I'm assuming you posted about mass effect , didn't see what you actually posted.

Well played a few hours today , had some fun. The real highlight of the day was learning that MREs don't suck. They gave us some for lunch and they were actually pretty decent . The cookie was AWESOME. At least I know I wont go hungry.

EspantaPajaro on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Torque Bows got a lot more useful in 3, I must admit.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I like using them in horde purely for drudges. Pops them in one shot. It's very satisfying.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Im going to be honest I don't see a difference in how the torque bow handles at all. As far as I can tell its the same as its always been.

I'm up for grinding out some ribbons if anyone wants to do that today. We can graduate to achievements if we get a full five.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man, I thought I didn't like Gears multiplayer. Then I spent the whole day playing king of the hill and deathmatch.

Probably gonna be picking up that season pass sometime.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Issue #22 of the comic is out. Not a whole lot revealed in this one
    It basically covers the first two months of the COG being at sea and shows how the effective their "rapid response" idea is (or isn't, rather.) Also it ends with Adam infecting himself (even though last issue implied he had already been infected five months prior) 16 months prior to Gears3.

Overall, the story was pretty blah. Poor showing for a two month wait.

Full announcement of DLC #4 today.

Commando Dom looks to be blue instead of green, and I think Mechanic Baird looks different as well. Not sure how the Loctus are different, I wanna say one of them is a Savage RAAM. (love the pic though with Baird doing his best "Hater's gonna hate" walk.)

7 new weapon skins, 2 of which were voted on by the community and will need to be unlocked.

5 maps (3 new, 2 Old favorites (Jacinto, Raven Down)). And the Triumphant return of Guardian!

Hopefully someone that isn't posting from a phone can give better details.

newSig.jpg
    edited March 2012
    So this weekend's event is "Gnashers 4 Life" Shotguns and Snipers. But you wouldn't know that by looking on the online calander (which hasn't been updated for two weeks, and is no longer linked on the front page), the community page (which just basically talks about people in the community and fan fiction, of all things, now.) or even the IN-GAME calender (Which also hasn't been updated in two weeks it seems.)

Not only that, but it took so long for me to find a match for this new gametype that it just stuck me in a game with all bots. Not sure if it's just my connection or if there really aren't that many people playing.

EDIT: Also, I just realized we now have a complete list of what's in the Season Pass.

For $30 you get
    -3 Hour Long New Campaign Chapter
    -7 New Maps (Academy, Aftermath, Anvil, Artillery, Cove, Depths & The Slab)
    -3 Classic Maps (Escalation, Jacinto & Raven Down)
    -Access to 3 Maps in Horde, Beast and Private Matches (Azure, Blood Drive & Rustlung) (Maps are available to everyone for free in public matches)
    -12 New Multiple Skins (Alicia Valera, Bernie, Big Rig Dizzy, Michael Barrick, Minh Young Kim, Onyx Guard, RAAM, Recruit Clayton, Savage Hunter, Savage Marauder, Tai Kaliso, & Theron Elite)
    -5 Reskinned MP Skins (Commando Dom LE, Mechanic Baird LE. Thrashball Cole LE, Savage Grenadier Elite LE, Savage Kantus LE)
    -9 New Multiplayer Weapon Skin Packs (Chocolate Weapon Set, Jungle Camo Set, Liquid Metal Set, Team Plasma Set, plus five more)
    -5 Unlockable Multiplayer Weapon Skin Packs (Re-Up Plasma, Re-Up Omen, Re-Up Electric, plus two more)
    -Guardian Mode
    -Re-Up Option
    -New Horde Fortifications
    -1000 New Achievement Points spread out among more than 25 achievements

Undead Scottsman on
    Putting it like that, it really seems like a decent price. Especially if you're an achievement whore and 1000 points is basically a new game.
    Just wished the weapons skins weren't nickle and dimed... (unless it actually cost a nickle or dime instead of 2 or 5 dollars or whatever it was).

newSig.jpg
    I'm hoping they'll announce the DLC #4 cheevos soon. I know some involve the elemental cleavers, but I want to know specifics. :D

I'm hoping they'll announce the DLC #4 cheevos soon. I know some involve the elemental cleavers, but I want to know specifics. :D

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/en-US/news/article/2012-03-dlc-4-announce

Here you go.

Force Multiplier 50
    Kill a Lambent Berserker with a team comprised of 5 Forces of Nature characters in Horde.

I think this is the all time lamest achievement "Kill a lambent beserker as a team of cloned Commando Doms and Mechanic Bairds"

Yeah, I like the other achievements, but that one is pretty stupid.

So the ad copy for Issue #24 of the comic is out, and it's being touted as a "series finale." But whether it's the entire comic series or just this most recent storyline, I'm not sure. It's not due out until the end of June, but there's a good chance this'll be the last bit of Gears story for a long while, unless Exile turns out to be not canceled.

edited March 2012
    Welp, Gears is sliding even further off the radar with apparently no weekend event this week (there's leprechaun heads, but no event. Well, Snipers and Shotguns is still there but doesn't give you any credit for the War Supporter medal.)

Still no update for any of the calenders, as the Digger event from the end of February is still listed. Can't believe how hands off Epic is being considering we're just a little over a week away from a DLC release. That said, we can probably expect Title Update 4 next week, or in the very least the patch notes. Also, apparently that "Max out your fotifications" achievement is for retail fortifications only, so that means I've already gotten it :P Shame, I was hoping for some motivation to get Level 5 Silverback. Ah well.

Also, there was some rumors floating around about Gears of War 4 for the Xbox 720, but they vague to the point where I'm comfortable ignoring them as unfounded speculation.

Finally, there's a small preview of the fifth book, The Slab, up on Amazon.
    “Adam, you knew this day would come.”

It was a familiar voice: silky, imperial, polished, and utterly human.

“Hello, Myrrah.” Adam Fenix found himself thinking of the terrible Locust food again. “You got my message, then.”

“And how right you were. We do need you. And we shall take you. I hope you’re not planning anything foolish. You have responsibilities, Adam.”

It would be a living death. The Locust Queen would never release him, even if he developed a countermeasure. But he didn’t deserve any better.

“I also have my service pistol.”

“And I can take your son at any time.”

He had the measure of her, then, and she had his. “You leave Marcus out of this. It’s a condition.” He opened the desk drawer and took out the handgun, a 9mm officer’s weapon. It made a distinctive clunk on the wooden desktop as he slammed it down. “If anything happens to him, I don’t care what happens to the rest of Sera.”

Undead Scottsman on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I could have sworn I got War Supporter progress during my customary "single game of Gears on the weekend" that I played on Saturday. I don't remember Leprechaun heads, though.

edited March 2012
    Did you play the weekend before last? I think it was till technically the same event. Anywho, real news!

Title Update 4 tomorrow, patch notes in the spoiler
    IMPROVEMENTS

Savage Drone and Savage Grenadier can now “swat” turn in Beast mode
    Spectator mode now starts viewing a player instead of a battle camera
    Alternate control users in multiplayer will no longer look at DBNO characters when pressing R3
    The crosshair for the Longshot and Hammerburst will now show an X if a shot is obstructed.
    KOTH – ring locators are now visible in spectator mode
    KOTH – some hill locations have been adjusted

BUG FIXES

The Onyx Guard decoy in Horde will not drop his rifle after exhausting the Vulcan ammo
    Clients will no longer be stuck with a “Waiting For Players” message up if the host quits Horde during the progression screen
    Chainsaw audio loop will now persist for listeners who leave the audible range and re-enter it
    Fixed some instances where special event ribbons would not be properly awarded
    COG pistol firing rate has been adjusted to be equal on host and clients
    The Flaming Retro Lancer is now available for attendees of the first special event
    Fixed some issues fixed related to the destruction of meatbags
    The Slab start up screen no longer has debug text
    After a host migration in Horde, the waves will no longer go past 50
    Cover near the elevator on Hotel no longer allows players to lean outside of the visible area
    Grenade throwers that are killed mid-throw will receive credit for any kills that grenade causes
    Silverback will be disabled if hit by a smoke grenade when the driver is in the middle of the exit animation
    Team Deathmatch time limit no longer resets to 3 minutes when both teams are out of respawns

Pretty meh, aside from the Flaming Retro finally being available to everyone. The manner in which it's being given out makes me think Epic is wrapping up it's work on Gears and just wanted to push all remaining content out in some fashion.

There's going to be a live stream from Rod on Wednesday. I'm fully expecting it to be full of already known information and useless answers to misunderstood questions. Should be fun.

Undead Scottsman on
    Oh thats this week? thought that was next week. Unless the dlc does not come with the update for whatever bizarre reason. I havent played gears in forever been replaying dead space one and two and trying to get achievements.