As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 3: Drake's GOTY

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there shouldn't be a next time, Naughty Dog should just close down before they can do that again...

Skull, I have no idea what you're going on about. The only difference between the platforming in the first two games is that 1 has a lot more of it and you're not babied through it. Same as the 'gunplay' really, the main difference between the two games is that the AI in the first game is actually pretty smart, often flanking or rushing when you're not prepared.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Well, if history is an indication, Naughty Dog is done and ready to move on.

3 Crash Bandicoot Games.
    3 Jak and Daxter Games.
    3 Uncharted Games.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote:

3 Crash Bandicoot Games.
    3 Jak and Daxter Games.
    3 Uncharted Games.

Still need that Uncharted Kart Racer

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Houn wrote:

3 Crash Bandicoot Games.
    3 Jak and Daxter Games.
    3 Uncharted Games.

I was trying to point out how poorly worded his post was. It's not like Uncharted is the only franchise where they can be rushed to meet a deadline, so saying there's shouldn't necessarily be a next time is basically saying that there shouldn't necessarily be another game from Naughty Dog.

But anyway, the trend you're pointing out is overlooking the fact that Naughty Dog had no say in the fate of Crash Bandicoot. They were on a three game contract with Universal, Sony managed to negotiate with Universal for one last game and they were done, Universal took the series away. A similar thing happened with Spyro (excluding the fourth game bit).

So Jak's the only real example of the trend and I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way. Naughty Dog now have 2 separate development teams, so they no longer have to push aside their old franchises to make new stuff, and seeing as Uncharted is one of Sony's most successful franchises, there's no way it's ending now.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The aiming in Uncharted 1 is incredibly sluggish, and they couple that with enemies that take a hojillion bullets to put down. That's awful. The platforming wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be I suppose, maybe a little clunky. There was apparently a secret number of times you had to swing back and forth when wall-running with a vine though in UC1, or else Drake would never be able to make the jump... no matter how small the jump was.

Uncharted 2 on the other hand is spectacular. Aiming is smooth, and it takes less bullets to kill a guy (still a bit bullet spongey though). I haven't run into any platforming issues either. I'm hoping my brother forgets he loaned me the game so I can keep it, and I'm definitely going to pick up the 3rd one.

I'm up through CH.22 and I think my face was stuck like D: the whole time. So much exciting shit going down all the time. The Tank chase and the chapter titled "Convoy" are my favorite bits so far.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    3 is about on-par with 2 as far as gameplay. The story feels rushed, but it's still super-fun to play and has some amazing, polished setpieces and "holy shit" moments.

• Options
    Just beat Uncharted 2. I think... yes, I think it may be one of my most favorite games ever. So many epic moments, and the bit between Drake and Elena at the end is wonderful.

I cant wait to play the next one

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I read the wiki for the third game, and they went places with the synopsis I wasn't even aware of, vis a vis missing items that show up again near the end.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Arise!

So I'm going through UC3 again with UC2 shooting turned on. Damn the shooting is improved now and godDAMN are there some quality moments in that game.
    Even the second time around, escaping the burning chateau made me do the "huh huh, we were almost in that" laugh.

Also, Syria, I finally managed to stealth the entire courtyard after you're split up from Sully and Chloe. Made that whole sequence a lot more tolerable.

Edit: Also also, Talbots supernatural element is a lot less supernatural second time through. Sure, he disappears without a trace, but in an area where just moments later you find a secret passage. And when Cutter shoots him, it's not some grand blood spatter/back of head disappears thing, it's just a shot and he goes down, nothing a bulletproof vest couldn't explain.

Anyway, just finished Syria. Even on Hard, much much easier to handle than first time through.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Just beat Uncharted 2. I think... yes, I think it may be one of my most favorite games ever. So many epic moments, and the bit between Drake and Elena at the end is wonderful.

I cant wait to play the next one

Uncharted 2 is definitely, in my opinion, the best game I've ever played.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Friend came over the other day, asked me what I thought of Uncharted 3. It became this really long conversation about how a lot of things in that game were ultimately pointless, like starting at X place and then going somewhere and then ending up back in X.

So disappointing when you think about it too hard.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    So $10 for 4 re-mastered maps. Memory could easily be failing me but that seems like a price hike over Uncharted 2 DLC prices. Think I'll be passing on that for now. I would sadly pay to bring back co-op survivor (as opposed to the survivor/seige/idol hunt mix).

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    I actually purchased the Gold Chaser pack or whatever it is called since I'm such a UC hoe. I'll be playing MP this week.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Got a PS3! :D

Uncharted Drake's Fortune is surprisingly hard to find in a non-Platinum case (yeah, I do not care for Platinum cases) so I am considering skipping it and jumping in at Uncharted 2. Is this series heavy on the story? Am I gonna be missing out on much if I skip the first?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular

Uncharted Drake's Fortune is surprisingly hard to find in a non-Platinum case (yeah, I do not care for Platinum cases) so I am considering skipping it and jumping in at Uncharted 2. Is this series heavy on the story? Am I gonna be missing out on much if I skip the first?

Not really. You'd just not recognize some characters when they show up, stuff like that.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    So I noticed that there is local coop available in Uncharted 3. I just started (I think) chapter 9 of the story, and my buddy hasn't played any of it. Are we going to ruin the single-player story by playing the coop?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Everything I've seen of the co-op so far is actually about UC2, right? It mentions Lazarevic a lot, even as you are fighting through the train yards from UC3.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    jclast wrote: »
    So I noticed that there is local coop available in Uncharted 3. I just started (I think) chapter 9 of the story, and my buddy hasn't played any of it. Are we going to ruin the single-player story by playing the coop?

You might spoil some of the areas but as far as I'm aware, it's completely unrelated story-wise.

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular

I wouldn't skip the first. Being familiar with the story and characters from the first adds more flavor to the second. It is not necessary but I'd not play them out of order.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'd skip the first. The combat encounters are intolerable, with wave after wave of bulletspongy enemies. I had a great time with the latter two Uncharted games, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish the first.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Arteen wrote: »
    I'd skip the first. The combat encounters are intolerable, with wave after wave of bulletspongy enemies. I had a great time with the latter two Uncharted games, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish the first.

I disagree strongly with this post. I loved the first game, though if you find the combat fatiguing, play on a lower difficulty. The story and environments are so worth it.

One of these days, I'll put in UC3 and see what all the fuss is about.

Houn on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Awesome - thanks, guys!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    If you find the combat in Uncharted 1 bad, you're probably not shooting guys in the head and you're probably not utilizing Iron Fist. Both of these are crucial.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Lovely double post.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    I never really got the chance to play this as much as I wanted. I bought it, then my PS3 started being a bitch and freezing every five seconds. A few months went by and I finally fixed my PS3, so back to uncharted I go!

BUT...

A. I am GODDAMN SICK of multiplayer games insanely unbalanced unlockibles. I'm a very low level, and man, do I feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage cause 85% of the people I play are at least 30 levels high then me. There's gotta be some better way of rewarding those who put allot of time into the game WITHOUT fucking us low levs over.

B. What the hell is up with the price of the map packs. 9.99 each? For old maps? Doesn't seem right.

Oh well, fantastic game. And Doughnut Sully may be the most epic multiplayer character EVER.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Wishpig wrote: »
    I never really got the chance to play this as much as I wanted. I bought it, then my PS3 started being a bitch and freezing every five seconds. A few months went by and I finally fixed my PS3, so back to uncharted I go!

BUT...

A. I am GODDAMN SICK of multiplayer games insanely unbalanced unlockibles. I'm a very low level, and man, do I feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage cause 85% of the people I play are at least 30 levels high then me. There's gotta be some better way of rewarding those who put allot of time into the game WITHOUT fucking us low levs over.

B. What the hell is up with the price of the map packs. 9.99 each? For old maps? Doesn't seem right.

Oh well, fantastic game. And Doughnut Sully may be the most epic multiplayer character EVER.

How did you fix it? My PS3 has the same issue!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's so weird hearing people talk about Uncharted 1 nowadays. It was the best game on the PS3 for a very long time, and now a lot of people actually recommend skipping it. If you ask me, as awesome as Uncharted 2 was, it was missing some of the magic from Drake's Fortune. I'm not saying either of them was better, but in 2, most of the awe-inspiring moments were derived from set-pieces or the QTE sections. Like the train almost landing on your head, or the tank chase. In Uncharted 1, the similar effect came from the locations. Like, turning a corner and stumbling upon the submarine in the waterfall. And then swimming up to it! Or discovering some beautiful ruins and slowly making your way to the top. God, I still remember that island!

Objectively, Uncharted 2 plays better than 1, no doubt. But the magic of UC2 lies in its events, while UC1's magic is in its places and locations. And honestly, I love them both equally.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    carmofin wrote: »
    Wishpig wrote: »

BUT...

How did you fix it? My PS3 has the same issue!

I just deleted a bunch of game data + saved files I doubt I'd ever use again, and then deleted Uncharted 3's data and saved data (something I tried before but which didn't solve the problem). Then my PS3 started working just fine. Before I couldn't play Uncharted 3 or Arkham City anymore... now no freezes!

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    QUESTION ABOUT AN UNCHARTED 3 GLITCH!

My buddy is in the level Abducted. One of the jumps is glitched to all hell and whenever Drake goes to to jump from the rail he plummets STRAIGHT DOWN and died. My friend has even reset the level once and had the same thing happen... is there any better way to fix this kind of thing or does he just have to keep resetting and hoping it works?

Thanks!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Is that chapter 12? Yeah, I just went to the main menu and started the whole level again when it wouldn't render the boats

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finally got my hands on Uncharted 3. Snagged it from Gamefly for $23!

I think I've almost beaten it, just got to chapter 21 last night. This is one incredible video game! I dunno... I think it may be better than 2. Its like they've completely improved every aspect of the game from 2 to 3. I guess the gunplay is similar, but the melee combat is bananas. The way Drake interacts with the environments, the visuals, the animations are all superb. Its probably all very similar to Uncharted 2, but this one's fresher in my mind since im currently playing it :P

So many butt clenchingly tense action bits. France, the cruise ship, the fucking plane! Hot damn...

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    3 is about on-par with 2 as far as gameplay. The story feels rushed, but it's still super-fun to play and has some amazing, polished setpieces and "holy shit" moments.

I didn't find that at all, I thought the aiming was SO SLOW in 3. Did they ever patch that? I had the sensitivity jacked to the max and it was still really slow. And the AI was GOD AWFUL!! I can't count how many times I'd be in cover and an enemy would run through a hail of bullets to take cover next to me and just peek out towards his enemies.

Three's graphics were great, the story was meh, and I thought combat was TERRIBLE!

But, like you said, some great holy shit moments and they didn't do the
    The god-like end boss that comes out of no where with super powers. They had enemies like that when Nate was tripping, but at least the last guy was grounded in reality.

• Options
    THREAD NECROMANCY! ARISE!

Finally dropped UC3 into my PS3, and man, I am in love all over again. I would gay marry Drake. Srsly.

Though, I couldn't help but laugh that every single brit thug in the intro was bald/shaved. Hilarious. Also, how many times are Drake and Elena going to get together at the end of a game only to be broken up for unknown reasons at the beginning of the next?

• Options
    This thread is dead, but I beat Uncharted 3. Was good times; I think 2 was the tighter game overall, but I had fun, and that's what matters.

• Options
    Yeah, Uncharted 3 was by no means....bad. It just wasn't as good as 2. Or maybe even 1, at points.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Uncharted 3 was by no means....bad. It just wasn't as good as 2. Or maybe even 1, at points.

That's always going to happen when a game follows what's considered by many to be one of the finest games made. You're going to have to do something magical to one up it.

That said, I don't think they even tried to one up it. They shrank the story down for 3 into a more personal one between Drake and Sully, and while they had some good set peices, nothing felt as grand as UC2, which I think was completely deliberate.

What resulted was a really good game, but one that wasn't as good as its predecessor. Not bad at all (aside from the thankfully patched aiming), though they just didn't aim for that same grand experience, but a smaller, personal one.

• Options
    Also the whole non-thing with Charlie.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Though I'm still not sure on the title.
    I kept waiting for Drake to either pull off some huge Machiavellian plan, or to have one pulled on him. It's the Shyamalan Effect: Waitin' for that twist, yo.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Though I'm still not sure on the title.
    I kept waiting for Drake to either pull off some huge Machiavellian plan, or to have one pulled on him. It's the Shyamalan Effect: Waitin' for that twist, yo.

Well, it was Francis Drake's deception.

• Options
    His whole life was a deception.

steam_sig.png