As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So I just spent the past few hours and got 120 clan rats cleaned and nearly fully assembled. I just have to glue on the weapons and hit em with primer. I like that out of the blue, I just dig up my very much in-progress army and move quite a number of them up a few stages.

Just curious, but I don't suppose anyone happens to have a spare of those Games Day Skaven Warlord minis, would they? They sell for way too fucking high and I was screwed out of my mini from the Chicago Games Day last year and its a hole that I need filled.

• Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    So it sounds like Empire are getting 6 new plastic kits. And more finecasts. Madness.

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    I may need to dust off my Empire army.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    That reminds me, I need to pick up more Skaven Lords and Heroes before they go failcast.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So, rumours going around that the new Fenrisian wolves are GW's new standard wolf model. Everything GW and FW do with wolves will use these. FW is apparently dropping Hobgoblin wolf riders soon for their Chaos Dwarf list, which will fit on the new wolves, and any new golbin wolf riders will use them too.

Pretty good idea. The old wolves are, well, old. And they didn't age well. The Fenrisian wolves are awesome, have a nice, dynamic but random look to their poses, and would fit golbin and hobgoblin wolf riders perfectly.

Also, that FW will be doing a Dogs of War list, which will explain why Tilea, Estalia, Araby and Kislev are never featured as main armies (Estalia is in a 1000 year long civil war, Kislev is constantly fighting off Chaos, Tilea is made up of constantly changing border princes and Araby is in a perpetual war with the Undead), and explain that these regions use mercenary forces for the most part.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    That reminds me, I need to pick up more Skaven Lords and Heroes before they go failcast.

Man what? Are you going all Warseer on us?

Also, I'd love to see GW redo their wolves. All the old ones are terrible.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fuck I hate all the failecast, finecost, etc shit. It's not clever.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I prefer shitcast.

Though I am of the understanding that if you're not buying flimsy stuff (Dark Eldar, Necrons, etc) then it's actually pretty good.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Venomthrope tentacles are flimsy as shit. Finecast Venomthrope is still better than metal Venomthrope.

Flimsy isn't the word you're looking for. Spikey is. And for all the spikes on plastic Tyranids, the metals are surprisingly spike free.

• Options
    I can now deploy my Jezzails on a hill and my newest ones have straight barrels. 100% worth the price of admission there. Also the couple monsters I've gotten are excellent. They took half the time to put together. And can also be used on hills.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    There's something to a sturdy metal hero and the weight they bear in your hand.

I can understand some models being a royal pain in the dick with metal. Chaos Dragon looks like disaster to try and build. Also price hike- whoops!

• Options
    edited February 2012
    There's something to a sturdy metal hero and the weight they bear in your hand.

And there's something to not needing a lump of steel sitting on a Zoanthropes base so it can stand up on a flat surface and not needing to run half a dozen pins through a Venomthrope or Hive Guard so they stay together when picked up. There's something to say about not needing a razorsaw to do minor conversions.

One of the things that made me quit the hobby 6 years ago was metal models. All of the cool stuff I wanted were metals, and I despise working with it. I'll put up with it now if I have to - like my Avatars of War vampire, or the Gamezone Mournful Knights I want, and to play infinity. But these are small volumes of models. But I avoided buying any Tyranid elites for a year while I built the start of my army, and looked at various alternative solutions like Troll Forged 'alien brains', and converting Hive Guard out of Tyranid Warriors. When they announced Finecast, I swore I'd give them all the time they need to iron out issues, simply because I won't have to deal with large numbers of metal models in my Tyranid army.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I'm getting to the point where I'm annoyed by having metal characters in my units. Stuff like the Island of Blood metal warlord are always falling out of movement trays because they're too heavy.

I really wish they'd release Globadiers in finecast. Those bastards don't even stand up on gentle slopes. Or, perhaps, a plastic set that isn't so static and weirdly out of proportion.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Both materials have their pros and cons. My experience with finecast has been entirely Dark Eldar and it has been less-than-stellar.

Honestly, I just want them to go all in on plastics. The plastic kits are just awesome.

• Options
    I woudn't complain about plastic at all.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is the problem with going to all plastics lack of detail or just the cost of small runs for models they don't sell much of?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Is the problem with going to all plastics lack of detail or just the cost of small runs for models they don't sell much of?

Likely option two.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Definitely option two.

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Plastic has a much higher initial cost because of the price of the molds.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Finished four minotaurs, five more are drying.
    %255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    oh god they're naked

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Plastic has a much higher initial cost because of the price of the molds.

Doesn't GW do all their own molding in house? Plastic molding machines are definitely on the High Capital Investment list.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yes, they do.

• Options
    Pretty sure they tool their molds in house as well. So a new plastic kit is a pretty big investment.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Pretty sure they tool their molds in house as well. So a new plastic kit is a pretty big investment.

Yes and no. If they are constantly employing x number of moldmakers in house then any time not spent on maintenance of the existing molds is a sunk cost to GW. They only have to pay for steel and perishables in relation to the new mold construction. They are not nothing by any means but raw materials are not a majority of the total cost of a mold.

If, as I suspect, most of the molds GW uses have a common carrier frame then you're talking about two few inch by few inch by couple inch blocks of steel and the perishables to 'cut' it.

Of course, this means that they will be able to produce a very limited number of plastic molds in a given year without the large cost of added more, relatively rare, skilled workers.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    really dig that banner muggins.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I just won the GnT Blood Bowl speed league with Ogres. Yesyesyesyes.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Of course, this means that they will be able to produce a very limited number of plastic molds in a given year without the large cost of added more, relatively rare, skilled workers.

And this would likely explain their current situation. According to the rumour guys, GW have a shitton kicking around just for 40k. Like, Tyranids have had the Harpy done for at least a year, waiting for a mold. Black Templars have apparently had their kits finalised and ready for molds for about 18 months. They're probably churning out far more than they have the capacity to create molds for.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Draeven wrote: »
    really dig that banner muggins.

Thanks dude!
    oh god they're naked

butts
    %255BUNSET%255D.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    The one on the left. I can't unsee it.

D:

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    muddy butts?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So before I go and mutilate my model even more, does finecast pin well? I had a bad primer coat on my Queek model, and proceeded to bust the sword off the hilt while trying to clean the model with a toothbrush after a Simple Green bath.

• Options
    csheurucsheuru Normal, ILRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    muddy butts?

That's not mud.

If we would be great, we must first learn to be good.
  • Options
    D:

I haven't tried pinning Finecast yet. Even small joins seem to be strong enough with just superglue.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    I think I may be coming down with the mini bug again. I've got about 2000 points of mostly unassembled dwarfs and maybe 1500 of O&G. I've always had a bit of a thing for Beastmen too, although I've never gotten any. They've gotten a new army book since I last was into Warhammer though, so that's tempting.

How are dwarfs doing these days? I haven't heard much about their most recent army book.

• Options
    They haven't had a new book for... a while. IIRC the newest is from late 7th edition. 8th is very kind to elite, slow troops and war machines, so dwarfs fared *very* well (alongside Empire and Lizardmen, I'd say).

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote:
    They haven't had a new book for... a while. IIRC the newest is from late 7th edition. 8th is very kind to elite, slow troops and war machines, so dwarfs fared *very* well (alongside Empire and Lizardmen, I'd say).

Actually I think it was the last book released for 6th? It's really old. On the other hand, it's still pretty solid considering. Just wish it was a bit more exciting.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So I've worked out a 3000pt army for my Orcs. It seems that there aren't too many O&G players in here to give advice but I'm not that interested in signing up somewhere else so here it goes.

The basic plan is that there is
    Team stay next to the general (Big Uns Night Goblins Trolls) to head up the middle
    Team imune to psychology (Squigs and Black Orcs and Pump wagon) to take on a strong flank
    Team flank attack (Chariots and Wolves) to try and clear a weak flank then do flanking charges to the center
    Team random (war machines manglers and spiders) shoot, attack enemy war machines and distract the enemy as they are able)

Super secret Orcy plans include giving the wolf riders some magical firepower for when they can't/don't want to charge or to deal with etherials and the warboss' anti-ward save build.

There is also 30 pts left for some magical banners on the orc units.

Details
    Selections:

+ Lords + (410pts)

* Orc Great Shaman (220pts)
    Extra level (35pts), Power Stone (20pts)

* Orc Warboss (190pts)
    Seed of Rebirth (10pts), The Other Trickster's Shard (15pts), Trickersters Helm (50pts)

+ Heroes + (412pts)

* Goblin Big Boss (86pts)
    Giant Wolf (12pts), Light Armour (2pts), Ruby Ring of Ruin (25pts), Shield (2pts), Sword of Striking (10pts)

* Goblin Shaman (102pts)
    Extra Level (35pts), Giant Wolf (12pts)

* Night Goblin Big Boss (34pts)
    Great Weapon (4pts)

* Night Goblin Big Boss (80pts)
    Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Glittering Scales (25pts)

* Night Goblin Shaman (110pts)
    Dispel Scroll (25pts), Extra Level (35pts)

+ Core + (834pts)

* Forest Goblin Spider Riders (65pts)
    5x Forest Goblin Spider Riders (65pts)

* Goblin Wolf Rider Unit (164pts)
    Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)
    * 12x Goblin Wolf Riders (144pts)
    12x Shields (12pts), 12x Spears (12pts)

* Night Goblin Unit (210pts)
    Fanatic (25pts), Musician (10pts), Netters (45pts), 40x Night Goblins (120pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)

* Orc Boyz Unit (395pts)
    Musician (10pts), Orc Boss (15pts)
    * 40x Orc Boy (360pts)
    40x Additional Hand Weapon (40pts), 40x Big 'Un (80pts)
    * Standard Bearer (10pts)
    Magic Standard (only if Big 'Un)

+ Special + (970pts)

* Black Orc Unit (380pts)
    30x Black Orcs (360pts), Musician (10pts)
    * Standard Bearer (10pts)
    Magic Standard

* Goblin Spear Chukka (35pts)

* Goblin Spear Chukka (35pts)

* Goblin Wolf Chariot Unit (50pts)
    Wolf Chariot (50pts)

* Goblin Wolf Chariot Unit (50pts)
    Wolf Chariot (50pts)

* Night Goblin Squig Herd Unit (210pts)
    15 sqigs 30 herders

* Troll Unit (210pts)
    6x Troll (210pts)

+ Rare + (340pts)

* Doom Diver Catapult (80pts)

* Goblin Rock Lobber (85pts)

* Mangler Squigs (65pts)

* Mangler Squigs (65pts)

* Snotling Pump Wagon (45pts)

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    So let's talk Empire.

I know they're getting new kits in April ish, but what does that mean if I'm considering starting them? Should I hold off on the battalion or get it asap, before they crap it up like tomb kings? New book inbound?

• Options
    Lezta wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:

Actually I think it was the last book released for 6th? It's really old. On the other hand, it's still pretty solid considering. Just wish it was a bit more exciting.

It is a really solid book and there are some great units in there. I have heard rumblings that they will be getting an 8th ed book and it will allow them to actually participate in the magic phase in some manner other and arcane cock-blocking.

But take that with a generous amount of salt.

This discussion has been closed.