As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's that time of year!

12346»

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm back at college at 28 and all of my new friends here are in the 19-22 range and they call me old. :(

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I'm back at college at 28 and all of my new friends here are in the 19-22 range and they call me old. :(

I am 28 and back at uni and people seem to think I am there for the first time.

Whenever I tell someone my age they're like whoa

If someone asks me my secret I tell them I play video games all day and never go in the sun ever.

broken image link
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Taya this is a totally random question but what do you do for insurance? I am looking at applying to programs in the States but I am literally terrified at the prospect of living there without coverage. Do you work as well, or...?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Mr Fuzzbutt, I don't have any idea what you look like!

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    when youre 30 you can bother your OWN kids, its gonna rule

It is possible that you and I have very different life plans.

its ok to have kids at 31,32, or even 70 if you want : )

Keith wrote: »

big, white, and hairy, reflecting my polar ancestry

broken image link
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

big, white, and hairy, reflecting my polar ancestry

yes

yes this is what I want

Taya this is a totally random question but what do you do for insurance? I am looking at applying to programs in the States but I am literally terrified at the prospect of living there without coverage. Do you work as well, or...?

If you don't have coverage somewhere else you are required to buy the school's health and dental insurance. I have no idea if this sort of thing is standard.

• BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    I'm 24, and I still feel alright. People I knew were saying I was old when I was 20, which is weird to me because I'd argue that at 20 your life has barely even begun.

I'm not exactly sure why 30 is considered "old" now. I mean, at that age most people are still usually in pretty good shape and whatnot, and while you're still expected to act grown-up and all by some people it's not like you have to start a family by then.

I don't know, I guess I just don't like the idea that 30 years old is too old to go have fun or something. I also kinda don't like the idea that growing old is a bad thing. I mean, what's so bad about not dying too early?

• GafotoGafoto Registered User regular

I live in the US, have no health insurance and I climb. I'm like forty seven kinds of unsafe.

sierracrest.jpg
    Gafoto wrote: »

I live in the US, have no health insurance and I climb. I'm like forty seven kinds of unsafe.

Wrap it up, Gafoto

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

If you don't have coverage somewhere else you are required to buy the school's health and dental insurance. I have no idea if this sort of thing is standard.

my grad program has the same requirement.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Okay buying it through the school is a thing I can do.

I just was worried I'd have nothing, and with my state of health I'd be dead in a year.

Also I don't think that 30 is considered old these days. If you pay attention to character age trends in pop media, things like TV shows and pop fiction, the majority of protagonists are single and if not 30 then very close. Culturally we are much less likely to be married and settled with children at 30, or to think of that as the norm, than previous generations.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    The time to remember when our lord and saviour jesus christ appeared from the cave, and if he went immediately back into the cave we would have three more months of winter. It was different, that year. The christ child arose, and he parted the crowds with a wave of his hand. He looked at the meager congregation and said unto them "nntch nntch, what's up doc?"

They looked upon the lord of lords and asked him why he had taken such an unfamiliar form. He outstretched his white gloved paws as his pale ears hung casting piercing shadows upon the crowd.

He said unto them "look at your brother, your sister and hide my offering of eggs, a symbol of the fruit of my cock. Let them find them and feast, doc. Offer your brother the sweet twix bars, as it represents my caramel skin, my crunchy ability of public speaking, my chocolatey love of social advocacy, and my nougaty soul. I returned as the rabbit, as returning as lion would satisfy my bloodlust but not my libido. Go forth and eat of my egg and twix."

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

no having kids at 70 is horrible for a lot of reasons

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular

I just was worried I'd have nothing, and with my state of health I'd be dead in a year.

Also I don't think that 30 is considered old these days. If you pay attention to character age trends in pop media, things like TV shows and pop fiction, the majority of protagonists are single and if not 30 then very close. Culturally we are much less likely to be married and settled with children at 30, or to think of that as the norm, than previous generations.

Very true.
    It's crazy to think that at my age, my mom and dad already had me and I think one of my other sisters.
    (I'm 26, believe she had me when 24 or 25)

My mom got married at 19. D:

parents are weird, what with the early babies and everything

when they were my age, i was like 7 and had three siblings

that's fucked up

broken image link
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    my parents were 34 and 36 when I was born (married at 29 and 31), so I've got another 10 years before I can freak out about being the same age as my mom when she had me!

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    My parents had my oldest sister around my age (26). Actually my dad was 26 and my mom was 29. That being said, I'm the furthest thing from settled down so it's really weird to me. It does explain why they are on my case to get engaged.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote:

not for a man!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    parents are weird, what with the early babies and everything

when they were my age, i was like 7 and had three siblings

that's fucked up

My mom has been pretty understanding of the different lifestyles.
    Dad has been having a bit of trouble. Mostly the whole not spending majority of my free time with my family.
    But they did that because of the kids. I don't have kids. I also live more than 5 minutes away sooo ya.

skettios on
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Mysst wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote:

not for a man!

adopting at 70 is just as cool as it always is

but then you're legally required to raise the kid on a strict diet of werthers and warm milk

Atheraal on
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I have seen pictures of my grandfather at 19, before he had my dad, and 22, a year or so after he was born

went from the world's dapperest man to someone slightly disheveled and about 15 years

don't have kids, kids!

thenews.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Gafoto wrote:

Why don't you have health insurance?

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

I'm not sure what your state of health is, but if you have problems getting insurance due to pre-existing conditions, there's a government program for that now: PCIP

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i dunno if i'll ever want kids. i love my niece and my myriad of little cousins, but i cannot imagine being around a little child 24/7 without losing my shit at some point. i am not a very patient person.

i dunno if i'll ever want kids. i love my niece and my myriad of little cousins, but i cannot imagine being around a little child 24/7 without losing my shit at some point. i am not a very patient person.

I'm pretty patient but sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with kids' bullshit

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

I'm pretty patient but sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with kids' bullshit

FOR.

REAL.

JoeUser wrote: »

I'm not sure what your state of health is, but if you have problems getting insurance due to pre-existing conditions, there's a government program for that now: PCIP

Thanks Joe! I don't have any pre-existing conditions, I just am really prone to chronic sinus infections that don't get better without treatment. Also when I was in college I had a scare with infection and a mysterious autoimmune complication that nearly had me lose a foot, and I'm just not willing to live somewhere where I'm not assured treatment if something of any kind came up.

RUVCwyu.jpg