As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    Danggit. This Eldar Revanant requires sooooooooo much pinning. It's insane!!

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Uuuug, I so want to buy and build a really cool Dark Eldar kill team...

• FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    Eldar corsairs sound cool, but I don't know anything about them. Anyone care to give a quick run down? Are they basically dark eldar pirates, but without the sadomasochism?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm planning about $200au on chitin and claws.
    GW au prices?

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    I'm planning about $200au on chitin and claws.
    GW au prices?

No, US prices from Dicebucket. Two tervigons, a Carnifex, and maybe a few boxes of Termagants.

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    saluksic wrote: »
    Warhammer is a fun game. I may get to play it tomorrow. If so, there will be Vanguard Vets heroically intervening from one side of the board to the other. So cool.

Wait, what?

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Well, it would be cool.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So, did I miss the talk of the Zone Mortalis set from Forgeworld, or did everyone miss it?

Even if you're not a fan of the 'board', the rules are pretty awesome and you can make basically anything to fit the rules. It pretty much scales the game down and makes everything super-lethal.

I might have to make some board peices to match my semi-jungle board. Though I'll probably need an Imperial Sector worth of walls and a few hundred aquarium plants and rocks to make it.

-Loki- on
    We talked for a few pages about it

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I didn't look at the optional rules before, but they are amazing and yes yes yes.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Anything that has the potential to bring 40k into a larger scale version of its current self is a good thing.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I thought Zone Mortalis was making it smaller-scale?

I'm all about it because my first GW experiences were HeroQuest and Space Crusade and this reeks of it at first blush. I haven't read the rules yet though.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    More detail, ie less stuff on the table, means larger scale.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yea, I can see where the confusion comes in, since in everything outside of model stuff, a larger scale means dealing with a larger area.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Okay, took a roadtrip to Atlanta with a couple of friends, to Fayetteville, actually to Treefort Games. It's a real gamestore!

They actually had stuff on the shelves. I bought a Secret Weapons 60mm base for a carnifex that is urban rubble. And I bought a pack of their urban rubble 25 mm bases. Can't wait to see them on some marines.

I got to play two games. In fact, I was able to participate in the first pre-game of a league, they're starting up. And I may be going back to conitnue participating in this. And wow, there are so many rules to keep track of!

I like the bikes. I need to be able to move my troops (I had to borrow two rhinos there.) We were discussing my army lists on the way home, If I were to take a captain on a bike, I could take two bike squads as troops (w/ two meltas and attack bikes w/ multimelta for tank-bustin' goodness,) then a scout squad with missile launcher and 8 sniper rifles, and a chaplain in terminator armor, and terminator squad w/ SS/TH, it wouldn't be so expensive, and I would have some fast troops for scoring, a nice assault unit for counter-attacking, and the swcout squad for sniping, and I could then fit in a devastator squad or some predators. I really need army builder so I can point this stuff out easier.

I lost both games. First game against other vanilla marines, dice did not go my way and I had no idea what to do (and I didn't know meltas rolled two dice for pen in half-range or that land raider would have been toast.) Second game against dark eldar, I made some mistakes, but mostly tore his army up. I just did not move to the objectives after my land raider went up on the first turn. And lost the gaem because of the objectives.

I had a lot of fun, and look forward to losing again. :)

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So I think it's finally time for me to stop thinking about getting into this game and actually make the jump.

I have decided I want to pick my army basing it around my preferred style of play in fighting games. As such I have narrowed my choice down to 4 different armies atm. Space Wolves, Blood Angels are my choices for armies that seem to control space well and play as a sort of counter attack or attack out of position dudes for punishment army. Eldar, Dark Eldar seem to be a high risk, high reward take on the same style of play bigger punishes but bigger chances for 1 mistake to be the end of my army.

I am leaning most towards Space Wolves currently but tend to flip flop opinions on them and Blood Angels. The two Eldar armies interest me because they seem to allow more creative paint ideas but their glassy nature worries me a bit as this will be my first army.

So anyone got some input on my assessment of the armies? I do think I will prefer a mid to short ranged army composition to long range if that helps with advise.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Dark Eldar are just fucking awesome and the codex allows for some really cool and effective variants.

I just hate painting them so I kind of stopped :P

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I like how reading Valhalla's post is like a mini chronological timeline for like 90% of 40k players.

Frankly though, your opponent should have TOLD you your melta rolled 2d6 i mean, that's basically the most well-known gun rule in the game so... that's kinda odd unless he was new as well.

UNSANE: Blood angels are a really fun army, you can play it mech-heavy, or dread-heavy, or all jump troops or sorta balanced. I like them, but I don't see them as much. I'm a space wolf player, and frankly, they have some amazing options. The plain grey hunter is the best troop choice in the game with the rules and equipment they have. Thunderwolf Cavalry are fucking amazing and fun as hell, and the ability to take 4 HQ choices makes the army a very fun one to play around with. Either one is a good choice.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited February 2012
    So, I found out my friend is starting his Black Templars back up. He's basing it around mechanizing in Land Raiders, and was very interested in where I order from in the US (since he doesn't want to spend $330au on three land raiders, which is understandable).

So, question time. It's great I'll finally have a Tyrannofex to rupture cannon those Raiders, but a bit more anti tank power would be welcome. I want to built my Zoanthropes up to a trio and pod them. Do Black Templars have any psychic defense? I seem to remember (though I might be wrong) that they don't have psykers, since they hate, well, psykers. Is that correct? I won't have to worry about psychic hoods?

edit - @Valhalla130, watch out for Dark Eldar when you get your Tyranids up and running. You'll need those Hive Guard to shoot raiders out of the sky, and as few monstrous creatures as possible. Fighting Dark Eldar actually makes playing Tyranids boring, since the really cool stuff (monstrous creatures) is so extremely vunnerable to their massed poison that running them is a liability. I'm lucky that my friend runs a semi-mechanised Wych army, so the only poison ranged weapon I need to worry about are Scourges and, to a lesser extent, Hellions.

-Loki- on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So, question time. It's great I'll finally have a Tyrannofex to rupture cannon those Raiders, but a bit more anti tank power would be welcome. I want to built my Zoanthropes up to a trio and pod them. Do Black Templars have any psychic defense? I seem to remember (though I might be wrong) that they don't have psykers, since they hate, well, psykers. Is that correct? I won't have to worry about psychic hoods?

Correct. For an army that hates and burns psykers....as a theme...they have zero psyker defense. There is an oath that can be taken which gives a 6+ save against psychic abilities, but doesn't effect vehicles.

Good to know. Seems my next port of call after my Dicebucket order is another Zoanthrope and seeing if my FLGS can order a maxmini pod or two.

edited February 2012
    double pasta.

Matrias on
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    So I think it's finally time for me to stop thinking about getting into this game and actually make the jump.

I have decided I want to pick my army basing it around my preferred style of play in fighting games. As such I have narrowed my choice down to 4 different armies atm. Space Wolves, Blood Angels are my choices for armies that seem to control space well and play as a sort of counter attack or attack out of position dudes for punishment army. Eldar, Dark Eldar seem to be a high risk, high reward take on the same style of play bigger punishes but bigger chances for 1 mistake to be the end of my army.

I am leaning most towards Space Wolves currently but tend to flip flop opinions on them and Blood Angels. The two Eldar armies interest me because they seem to allow more creative paint ideas but their glassy nature worries me a bit as this will be my first army.

So anyone got some input on my assessment of the armies? I do think I will prefer a mid to short ranged army composition to long range if that helps with advise.
    I am completely biased on the matter, but I love my Space Wolves.

Blood Angelos are okay. I guess. If you like that sort of thing.

Woa. Wait. Valhalla has played a game? Oh man, I don't wanna know what this is going to do to his post count

I honestly wouldn't worry about picking a glass cannon army as your first. it's nothing to sweat over. you're going to get pasted the first few (dozen) games you play, even as Space Marines, so use those games learning the army you actually want to play most.

• karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    If I were starting today I would probably go DE GK Necrons or Orks. Plenty of good or fun things in those lists and they don't have too many worthless units.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Why do you guys shit on everything? Drop pods are really useful.

Not as useful as a las/plas Razorback, unfortunately, unless you put 300pts worth of Sternguard in it. I have seen shenanigans with Death Company Dreads with Magna Grapples dropping in abreast of a Hammerhead and fucking up the entire Tau castle via proxy tank shock, though, which is hilarious.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    Warhammer is a fun game. I may get to play it tomorrow. If so, there will be Vanguard Vets heroically intervening from one side of the board to the other. So cool.

Wait, what?

My first thought was "Librarian w/Gate," but then they can't Heroicly Intervene becasue of the libby. So I don't know.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    Eldar corsairs sound cool, but I don't know anything about them. Anyone care to give a quick run down? Are they basically dark eldar pirates, but without the sadomasochism?

I'll write up what they have in a bit. I've made up a couple mock lists and what I feel on everything. I was hoping to hear others' thoughts on them as a whole as well.

makosig.jpg
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

I'll write up what they have in a bit. I've made up a couple mock lists and what I feel on everything. I was hoping to hear others' thoughts on them as a whole as well.

Sounds like a plan. Also, did you see my message? Where I was asking what the name of that gaming convention that's down in Mission Valley is called?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Sounds like a plan. Also, did you see my message? Where I was asking what the name of that gaming convention that's down in Mission Valley is called?

Kingdom-con! Pre registration is now open. :)

http://www.kingdom-con.com/ I implore everyone to go if possible.

makosig.jpg
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote:

Corsairs give the biggest Space Elf Boner, and I was really considering them for a bit. Sadly, Phantom won. Their list is interesting.
    HQs: Kinda weak. The Prince has plenty of tricks, but is expensive, especially if you kit him out for combat. The Void Dreamer can carry a Webway portal, but has psychic powers that range from awful to "OK I Guess".

Troops: The Basic Corsairs are what Guardians should be even before you give them Jetpacks. They can be kitted out for any role, can take BS4 Falcons as Dedicated transports and can have Jetpacks to let them fire Heavy Weapons on the move. Also BS4 Wasps as Troops. They are P good, but plenty expensive over regular walkers. The Jetbikes seem a lot better, being BS4 and more assaulty but again are more expensive.

Elites: Craftworld outcasts let you take an Elite or Fast Attack or Ranger unit from the Eldar De, so you can bring over Fire Dragons or whatever. The Voidstorm squad seems like a pretty capable assault unit, but S3 really restricts their utility. You can also take Kabalite Warriors if you are feeling a bit Goth.

Fast Attack: Nightwing seems cool, Hornets are amazing, basically Vypers but not shit. Nightspinners are gold in the Normal Eldar Dex and here they aren't fighting for a HS slot!

Heavy Support: Phoenix Bomber seems cool, but is pretty pricey. The Warp Hunter is awesome, at least on par with a Fire Prism. The Firestorm is pretty bad (and Ugly)

I think there is a heap you can do with the list and I think it would be fun to play with. I feel it would play about half way between Dark Eldar and Eldar.

Matrias wrote:
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

I am completely biased on the matter, but I love my Space Wolves.

Blood Angelos are okay. I guess. If you like that sort of thing.

Space Wolves over Blood Angels because Space Vikings are awesome. Also I feel that they are a bit more flexible than Blood Angels. Also they don't have Mephiston. Space Wolves do excel at short to mid range shooting and counter attacking while Blangels are more assault focused, so I think they fit what you are looking for more.

Eldar can be pretty resilient and you can tool them for any range. Dire Avengers and Warp Spiders are both great short ranged shooty units. You can do plenty of movement shenanigans with Eldar as well. Dark and Craftworld Eldar are both really good and movement and control, it really depends on which one appeals more to you in terms of background and aesthetics. Be aware that Dark Eldar are a new Codex with lots of great viable options, while Eldar are an older book with more issues. Dark Eldar are also much much more fragile, while you can make Eldar quite resilient.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »

Wait, what?

My first thought was "Librarian w/Gate," but then they can't Heroicly Intervene becasue of the libby. So I don't know.

I love me some librarian with Gate, but what I meant was an observer would see, as his eye traversed the field, Vanguard Veterans deepstriking onto all parts of the map.

That all… didn't work out so well. Deathwing doesn't play nice with Honor Guard, and the Vets didn't make it until everyone else was dead. I had each squad of five with a Relic blade, Thunderhammer, and two storm shields. I'll take more lightning claws next time, I think. I am a lot more confident of HI's chances of going off, though.

What I really need to do is put 400 points of VV in a 2000 point list, not a 1500 point list.

Asher pretty much sums it up. The big thing here is that almost everyone has Jetpacks. Jetpacks. The Wasps are pretty awesome, IMO. They're a good support platform and they have their own jump jets too. I can see myself taking Jetpack-wearing Corsair squads armed with a Fusion Gun and Missile Launcher, and just rely on the Wasps for anti-infantry support, backed up by Hornets and Warp Hunters.

makosig.jpg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Hey any aussies here? Im looking to strip my old models of paint (both plastic and metal) and im wondering how people do it, someone mentioned using a product called Super Green or Simple Green or something, but im not sure if that product exists in australia? Im looking for the cheapest thing I can get too.

Here's an example of a 1500 point list I'd start with for the Eldar Corsairs:
    Unnamed1500 Pts - Eldar Corsairs Army

1 Corsair Prince (HQ) @ 435 Pts
    Fleet; Independent Character; Sky Raiders; Void Strike; Shadow Field; CC
    Weapon; Fusion Pistol (x1); Melta Bombs; Plasma Grenades

5 Corsair Blade Sworn Retinue @ [290] Pts
    Fleet; Shuriken Pistol; CC Weapon; Fusion Pistol; Plasma Grenades

1 Corsair Falcon @ [170] Pts
    #Capacity: 6; Spirit Stones; TL Shuriken Catapults; Bright
    Lance; Pulse Laser

5 Eldar Corsair Squad (Troops) @ 91 Pts
    Jump Infantry (Jetpacks); Fleet; Deep Strike; Relentless; CC Weapon (x5);
    Lasblaster (x3); Missile Launcher (x1); Fusion Gun (x1); Plasma Grenades;
    Corsair Jet Pack

5 Eldar Corsair Squad (Troops) @ 91 Pts
    Jump Infantry (Jetpacks); Fleet; Deep Strike; Relentless; CC Weapon (x5);
    Lasblaster (x3); Missile Launcher (x1); Fusion Gun (x1); Plasma Grenades;
    Corsair Jet Pack

3 Corsair Wasp Assault Walker Squadron (Troops) @ 285 Pts
    Walker; Deep Strike; Wasp Jump Jets; Left Scatter Laser (x3); Right
    Starcannon (x3)

0 Eldar Craftworld Outcast (Elites) @ 212 Pts
    Uncertain Allies

9 Striking Scorpions @ [212] Pts
    Scorpion Chainsword; Shuriken Pistol; Plasma Grenades; Mandiblasters

1 Exarch @ [68] Pts
    Shadowstrike; Stalker; Scorpion Chainsword; Scorpion's Claw;
    Plasma Grenades; Mandiblasters

1 Corsair Hornet Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 250 Pts
    Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer); Scouts; Aerial Assault; #Star Engines; Pulse
    Laser (x2)

1 Hornet #1 @ [125] Pts
    #Star Engines; Pulse Laser (x2)

1 Corsair Warp Hunter (Heavy Support) @ 135 Pts
    Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Tank); Spirit Stones; D-Cannon (Warp Hunter); TL
    Shuriken Catapults

Models in Army: 33

Total Army Cost: 1499

makosig.jpg
    Prohass wrote:
    Hey any aussies here? Im looking to strip my old models of paint (both plastic and metal) and im wondering how people do it, someone mentioned using a product called Super Green or Simple Green or something, but im not sure if that product exists in australia? Im looking for the cheapest thing I can get too.

Simple Green!

You can get it in big bottles for about $20 bucks from Bunnings in the industrial cleaners isles.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Asher wrote: »
    Prohass wrote:

Simple Green!

You can get it in big bottles for about $20 bucks from Bunnings in the industrial cleaners isles.

Awesome thanks!

Also I just checked out your 'nids (im already starting with the lingo) and holy shit they are awesome! Thats the army im restarting (its been about 12 years since I played or painted, so like, when I was 12), so I will be bombarding you with painting and strategy questions.

Im thinking of maybe documenting the process so I dont lose patience and keep at it, we allowed to do that in this thread or is there a separate thread for it?

Prohass on
    No worries!

Glad to hear you like the Nids, I havn't done anything on them for a while as I've been working on My Eldar at the moment, but with the imminent release of more bugs I'm sure I'll resurrect them. Go right ahead with the bombarding and I'll do all I can do to help.

We have a Painting Thread here to show off our dude mans and if you want to start a painting diary or even jsut get in touch with the Aussie wargaming community, register for WargamerAU. We aren't too feral.

Awesome, another Nid player. Where abouts in Australia are you?

This discussion has been closed.