As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    10% of Guild Wars downloaded. Yawn.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So, what's the better Farming class for money? I really would rather just farm money/materials for the armor/weapons for the hall. I was looking at 55hp Necro/Monk builds, as well as 55hp Monk/Any, but unsure how effective they are in areas like UW for Ectos and what not.

Quintessin on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm, got an everlasting Gwen, Khamu, Magrid the Sly and Olias tonic, but having trouble selling any of them. Guess I should mark the prices down.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What are you asking for them? Sometimes it's really being patient if you're trying to sell in Kamadan.
    Quintessin wrote: »
    So, what's the better Farming class for money? I really would rather just farm money/materials for the armor/weapons for the hall. I was looking at 55hp Necro/Monk builds, as well as 55hp Monk/Any, but unsure how effective they are in areas like UW for Ectos and what not.

Assassin's used to be the go to class for farming UW for ecto, but I haven't kept up with it so I'm not sure what it is these days. A SoS Rit is still pretty good for farming things.

Geod on
  • Options
    I saw some videos/builds for a Dervish build to do them, but there were a lot of comments about either how difficult it is to do, or it doesn't work anymore. Unsure, I guess I can give it a try, I have a 20 Derv.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    What are you asking for them? Sometimes it's really being patient if you're trying to sell in Kamadan.

20e (gwen), 20k everything else

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Geod wrote: »

20e (gwen), 20k everything else

Give or take a few k, that sounds about right. It took me a week or so of sustained effort to sell my Vekk and Pyre. You can try selling them on GuildWarsGuru forums, but I've never done it before but you might have an easier time selling it there.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    What areas can you actually farm with 55hp monks?

I remember back when they were first conceived and were soloing the Underworld, ANet changed some of the mob skills to be able to peel all the enchantments. Is that still the case or is the Underworld a possibility now?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Just trying to find the best way to either solo, or two-man farm either the ingredients, or straight valuables to sell/trade for the ingredients, for the armor/weapons for the Hall.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So here's a question - for the Elite armor I have a bit of an issue: My main (and only 20) is a Dervish, which means I can only get Vabbian or Obsidian armor for the 'special elite' armors. Both are quite expensive (Vabbian from traders would be > 320k, don't even want to think about Obisidian) and/or hellish to farm (No real farmable source of rubies/sapphires) compared to Kurzick/Luxon. So would it be worth it to just level an alt (perhaps Assassin due to their supposed soloing ability) up in Factions to the point where I can buy the one of the Factions Elite armor?

Another factor is that Dervish's seem to be a PITA to solo farm with, so if I do level up the Assassin it would probably make life easier for farming...except that i'd have to reacquire 80 billion zones and replay each campaign to have the same level of stuff available as on my main.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What's a good second profession for a Mesmer? Was thinking Monk or Necro.

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    What's a good second profession for a Mesmer? Was thinking Monk or Necro.

Ele for Glyphs and Deep Freeze? But mostly you'll just want mesmer skills, as they're awesome.

• Options
    steejee wrote: »
    So here's a question - for the Elite armor I have a bit of an issue: My main (and only 20) is a Dervish, which means I can only get Vabbian or Obsidian armor for the 'special elite' armors. Both are quite expensive (Vabbian from traders would be > 320k, don't even want to think about Obisidian) and/or hellish to farm (No real farmable source of rubies/sapphires) compared to Kurzick/Luxon. So would it be worth it to just level an alt (perhaps Assassin due to their supposed soloing ability) up in Factions to the point where I can buy the one of the Factions Elite armor?

Another factor is that Dervish's seem to be a PITA to solo farm with, so if I do level up the Assassin it would probably make life easier for farming...except that i'd have to reacquire 80 billion zones and replay each campaign to have the same level of stuff available as on my main.

Alternatively, even with the really-high-price fo Vabbian armor, is that conceivable to farm out cash wise? If I have other stuff I can farm that will get me the cash to buy that (and another few sets of Elite armor) then I'd probably be good doing that route, though, again, I haven't had much luck with Dervish solo farming builds.

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    It doesn't really take that long to get a Factions alt up to 20. It's the fastest level of the three.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly the best way of making money in the game is just playing the game. Do missions, dungeons, elite areas, zaishen quests, Wanted quests, Winds of Change, etc.

More to point, if there was anything that was actually easy or reliable to farm, it already would be farmed to death and near worthless.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Speaking of winds of change, does anyone want to get a hard mode group going for that?

I somehow jumped from 30/50 to 37/50 in one day yesterday and now 40 seems super manageable, I just need a bit more dough :p

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Alternatively, even with the really-high-price fo Vabbian armor, is that conceivable to farm out cash wise? If I have other stuff I can farm that will get me the cash to buy that (and another few sets of Elite armor) then I'd probably be good doing that route, though, again, I haven't had much luck with Dervish solo farming builds.

I straight up farmed Vabbian armor. Mostly from Hearts of the North repeatables, with some vanquishes thrown in as well.

Obsidian is the "you're crazy to farm this" territory.

In fact, I'm not sure why it matters what class you play as far as farming goes. I farmed up gold for all my prestige armors and a destroyer weapon and bought them straight up.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Entriech wrote: »
    Honestly the best way of making money in the game is just playing the game. Do missions, dungeons, elite areas, zaishen quests, Wanted quests, Winds of Change, etc.

More to point, if there was anything that was actually easy or reliable to farm, it already would be farmed to death and near worthless.

Yeah, I figured there wasn't a particular option that was *great*, more just one that I can do if I have a small batch of free time and don't want to do something bigger. I may just look for a good solo setup that I can level for the Kurzick/Luxon armor and blow through the game on that for more money from the storyline, which may be faster this time around since I won't feel like I need to watch cutscenes/do bonuses/etc.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Quintessin wrote: »

make any caster class you actually want to play. that is to say, any class that isn't warrior/paragon. run something like this: OACjAyiM5QVT0gXTlT+gfTQTylA the 8th slot is optional, i often run pain inverter there, pain(PVP) is a bug. so farm UW with it, replace summon spirits with shadowsong. it is also a decent idea to run some way to heal spirits, either with spirit boon strike, since you're already specced in channeling, or take some points from communing and put them into restoration (8) for spirit leech aura, but i never do this. this is the easiest, most effective build in the game for farming. not the fastest per se, but you don't have the freak out over keeping your enchants up, and you only need max AL armor for gear. running a 55 necro or monk i found to be too stressful :P

edit: 55 builds can farm the chamber, and maybe smites, but midblades can interrupt, and you'd need to have spell shield up 100% or you'll likely get rended.

Feldorn on
  • Options

I straight up farmed Vabbian armor. Mostly from Hearts of the North repeatables, with some vanquishes thrown in as well.

Obsidian is the "you're crazy to farm this" territory.

In fact, I'm not sure why it matters what class you play as far as farming goes. I farmed up gold for all my prestige armors and a destroyer weapon and bought them straight up.

Well I'm looking more at the common drops farming for when I need something small/specific so go solo, though that'll matter less and less as I go since I'm just about done with my Moa mini and from what I've read of farming code the higher end stuff is unaffected by farming code. Dervish just seems to be a not-so-hot class for solo farming due to its reliance on enhancements - so much stuff can just strip those to hell.

So I think my plan at this point (at 17/30) is to finish off the Moa mini (+1 as I already have minis) and then start up a Factions Assassin to work up to either Luxon or Kurzick (or both) + level 20, buy that set and dedicate it, then go back to my main and continue on the HoM stuff. I'll have to double check prices but for now that seems a lot faster than just saving up for Vabbian.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Geod wrote:
    Overnight, create a GW shortcut and add -image to the target and run it, so it will be all downloaded tomorrow so you won't have to worry about it anymore.
    Z1bRQ.jpg
    Courtesy of Xagar.
    Thanks
    TAikK.jpg

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Hrm

Do I go for 11weapons (I'm at 3.5)
    Or do I go for 5 weapons, 50minipets (at 40) and ten more hero armors

• Options
    5 weapons, 50 minis and 10 hero armours. Hero armour is dirt cheap, and given that another birthday is coming up even 5th year minis are only around 10-15k each these days.

• Options
    Rook wrote: »
    5 weapons, 50 minis and 10 hero armours. Hero armour is dirt cheap, and given that another birthday is coming up even 5th year minis are only around 10-15k each these days.

I'd love to know where 5th year minis are being sold for 10 to 15k. In my experience they sit pretty solidly around 30, and sometimes you can talk someone down to 25. 4th year minis do go for betweeen 10 and 15 k.

Also I don't think another birthday is due for a while. Plus nothing guarantees that it would be more minis. After all, the sixth birthday gifts were everlasting tonics instead.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Also I don't think another birthday is due for a while. Plus nothing guarantees that it would be more minis. After all, the sixth birthday gifts were everlasting tonics instead.
    2 months or thereabout.

Also, it is really hard work to make a warrior put out decent damage. They really got shafted on actual damage-dealing in the years since I've played this. 8(

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    2 months or thereabout.

Also, it is really hard work to make a warrior put out decent damage. They really got shafted on actual damage-dealing in the years since I've played this. 8(
    You can turn a warrior into a decent interrupt machine if you want to, but yes, they've suffered as damage dealers compared to all the armor-ignoring shenanigans of Necros, Mesmers, and Ritualists.

Man, the Elementalist update made enemy elementalists scary as hell. Especially the update to Double Dragon. Man do I hate running into that in Cantha now.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Back when the game came out, I made a dude warrior just because he's the only way to have a guy who wasn't skinny. And all the chicks are creepily skinny. I duo specced him necro, and God did he ever suck. Probably why I quit.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Entriech wrote:
    Rook wrote: »

I'd love to know where 5th year minis are being sold for 10 to 15k. In my experience they sit pretty solidly around 30, and sometimes you can talk someone down to 25. 4th year minis do go for betweeen 10 and 15 k.

Just asking around. A lot of people selling just want to be rid of stuff without spamming for days. If you can avoid the resellers trying to make their 10k profit on each sale than you should do ok. Purples can go for pretty cheap too.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    2 months or thereabout.

You can turn a warrior into a decent interrupt machine if you want to, but yes, they've suffered as damage dealers compared to all the armor-ignoring shenanigans of Necros, Mesmers, and Ritualists.

Man, the Elementalist update made enemy elementalists scary as hell. Especially the update to Double Dragon. Man do I hate running into that in Cantha now.

A Warrior will do the highest sustainable single target DPS in the game.

Also, with the use of PvE skills you can knock-lock a single target for 20 seconds to the point where the target can't even cast 1/4 second skills. The timing is that perfect.

Dragon Slash + For Great Justice + Flail is the highest DPS in the game. 90% Armour ignoring too.

But none of this matters because LOL AOE.

• Options
    @cobalt60 well, why kill 1 person if half the time when you can kill all the persons in whatever unit of time you're measuring in?

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    But none of this matters because LOL AOE.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So I'm thinking about getting the trilogy and dabbling around starting this evening. Any other people (maybe @Echo ?) who are either just getting into Nightfall (going to start there) or looking to do an alt interesting in some grouping?

Also, I notice a PA guild in the OP, but no server. Does this game not have servers (it's been a long, long time since I dabbled in GW)?

Edit: and by tonight I mean "haha, I just looked at another post that had to download and update, haha" and that should be translated to "later this week."

am0n on
  • Options
    @am0n no servers per se, everyone can talk to everyone, for cities there are districts that are broken up by nation.

IGN: dayne the austere, i've got 2 newbish characters in factions, but i would try and get myself up to nightfall and do stuff with you.

• Options
    am0n wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about getting the trilogy and dabbling around starting this evening. Any other people (maybe @Echo ?) who are either just getting into Nightfall (going to start there) or looking to do an alt interesting in some grouping?

Also, I notice a PA guild in the OP, but no server. Does this game not have servers (it's been a long, long time since I dabbled in GW)?

Edit: and by tonight I mean "haha, I just looked at another post that had to download and update, haha" and that should be translated to "later this week."

There's just "American" "European" "International" and I think "Korean". Everyone plays on the american servers, though you can easily jump between them if you desire.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Thanks. Once I get it up and running I'll see if I can find Dayne the Austere...

Also, is there any profession in particular I should avoid like the plague because they are just that bad? I'm not looking to min-max or anything, but I also don't want to feel like I am bottom of the barrel because of a bad profession choice.

am0n on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Back when the game came out, I made a dude warrior just because he's the only way to have a guy who wasn't skinny. And all the chicks are creepily skinny. I duo specced him necro, and God did he ever suck. Probably why I quit.

Of all the GW characters I have made, deleted and remade, my original warrior/necro is my oldest and most favorite. I still play that character to this day.

26904.png
  • Options
    @am0n i usually play after 8pm PST, but i've slowed down a bit recently. i'll focus on getting my assassin finished with the newbie stuff so he can make it to kamadan and unlock a couple heroes.

• Options
    Feldorn wrote: »
    @am0n i usually play after 8pm PST, but i've slowed down a bit recently. i'll focus on getting my assassin finished with the newbie stuff so he can make it to kamadan and unlock a couple heroes.

Ah, yeah, we may not group much, then. =P I am asleep by then. East Coast smuck here, and I get up at 6 AM EST, so I don't stay up past 10 PM EST if I can help it. If I see you around on the weekends, though, I'll definitely say hey.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    am0n wrote:

I just started out on Nightfall, I'm from Europe, though. So i dunno if our play times would overlap.

--

Also: I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I'm just applying basic MMO logic and got to level 5 with only dying once (my henchmen and hero covered my ass). /shrug I feel kinda far removed from my character, everything is so small and there is hardly any sound effects either. I'm just zooming around doing quests with only just skimming the quest texts and haven't found any exciting quests yet either. It's all very basic "Go click on this NPC on that field and then move forward to this other guy" and sometimes there's "retrieve item X from mob Y".

I mean, I'm only level 5, so hopefully I didn't blow my money on something I'm not enjoying much as of yet..

• Options
    I don't find the quests in Guild Wars super compelling (with the exception of the Guild Wars Beyond stuff). For Nightfall, the Missions will be where shit really goes down.

The complexity of Guild Wars doesn't really stem from its quest/adventure system so much as the potential inherent in its class setups and cross profession foolishness. You're not going to get a lot of that off the outset, because you're just starting out. Just keep chugging along, things should get compelling soon.