As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Jante [Chat]

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I wish it was easier to do things like center stuff with html and css.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Id love to have guns and shoot things, because shooting things is fun. However, I am really fucking glad that the douchebags around me in the high population density area I live in aren't allowed to carry.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    retro future art style, tom boy girl with a past, indiana jones archetype

cutsey anime style jokes

pass

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Man, to have a school shooting so close to where I live, it's chilling.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/27/justice/ohio-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    oh hey, looks like all sorts of employee info spreadsheets are open to me.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Vincent *Phlegm*

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The moment Dresden Codak commits to telling any story in a reasonable amount of time and with panels designed to help instead of hinder that storytelling, I will be right on board. Right now I feel his attractive art masks a lot of significant flaws.

I only read it for the art and setting.

Man the waiterbots are great.

But like, I am pretty sure there's only one turtle underneath, you know? If the art wasn't so cool, I wouldn't give it the time of day, because the underlying story is resting on a cardboard foundation.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Ludious wrote: »
    retro future art style, tom boy girl with a past, indiana jones archetype

cutsey anime style jokes

pass

Where.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    spool32 wrote:
    The Law and the Constitution are not equal.

I don't give a shit. The Constitution is used as it's own justification, exactly the same way religious zealots use the bible.

It's just a piece of paper and proves nothing.

The right to bear arms should be justified with reason and logic, not "It. Was. Written."

No,no, no,no, a thousand times no. We should not have to constantly justify our inherent rights, rights described in the Constitution but not granted to us by it. Those who wish to restrict those rights should have to justify their wish, at each and every step.

The people have the right to defend themselves, their families, their communities, their nation, and their freedom. bearing I arms to this end is inherent, and does not need to be constantly justified. It is restrictions on this right that bear the burden of proof.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    oh hey, looks like all sorts of employee info spreadsheets are open to me.

I had access to the HR databases at my old company. It was really depressing knowing what everyone made. Like super depressing. In the office I had like the red terminator vision with a HUD overly that displayed people's salaries as I passed by.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »

The center tag is gone for good reason. It's logically incompatible with the way CSS operates, which is way more powerful. It's a shame but it's nesessary. Just think a little more carfully and make auto-expanding margins.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    They say of the Acropolis, where the Parthenon is...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The moment Dresden Codak commits to telling any story in a reasonable amount of time and with panels designed to help instead of hinder that storytelling, I will be right on board. Right now I feel his attractive art masks a lot of significant flaws.

I only read it for the art and setting.

Man the waiterbots are great.

But like, I am pretty sure there's only one turtle underneath, you know? If the art wasn't so cool, I wouldn't give it the time of day, because the underlying story is resting on a cardboard foundation.

Well if the art wasn't so cool it would go a lot faster and we'd remember where the story was going :P

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Everybody knows what everyone makes in the government within a few thousand anyway.

Jobs are posted by GS level so it's easy to guess how much they make. Even if they get a few steps.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the terrible part is japan thats how i pronounce it because i was traumatised by my polyglot parents

obF2Wuw.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote:

I don't give a shit. The Constitution is used as it's own justification, exactly the same way religious zealots use the bible.

The right to bear arms should be justified with reason and logic, not "It. Was. Written."

No,no, no,no, a thousand times no. We should not have to constantly justify our inherent rights, rights described in the Constitution but not granted to us by it. Those who wish to restrict those rights should have to justify their wish, at each and every step.

The people have the right to defend themselves, their families, their communities, their nation, and their freedom. bearing I arms to this end is inherent, and does not need to be constantly justified. It is restrictions on this right that bear the burden of proof.

your country opened the door to having to constantly justify the Constitution the moment it came up with judicial review

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    the terrible part is japan thats how i pronounce it because i was traumatised by my polyglot parents

The pain of being correct but nobody knowing who the hell you're talking about.

Everybody knows what everyone makes in the government within a few thousand anyway.

Jobs are posted by GS level so it's easy to guess how much they make. Even if they get a few steps.

I thought that was straight up public information. It should be.

I went to a state school and there was a lot of upper middle class townie WRBL GRBL about members of the cafeteria staff making the princely sum of >$40,000 a year.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    since this is an election year

how horrified should I be of things going terribly wrong with the whole iran + israel + america stew that's boiling?

Human life is just one indefinitely prolonged experience of horror.
    japan wrote: »

i love saying van gogghghghhghghghgh instead of van gogh

steam_sig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hmm, four weeks since I pressed my manager on a raise and/or promotion. Time to return to the issue.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    the worst part about school shootings (apart from the people hurt, of course) is that it opens up the floor for talking heads to yell about gun control on evening editorial shows and somehow we completely bypass the discussion as to why all this happened.

919UOwT.png
    I don't know that their Step is public (without a FOIA request anymore)

GS-12 is the start of the scale but there's also 10 steps, plus locality pay.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Post that comic, dick.

Post it in SE++!

Also good recent SF was Hyperion, actually. More like a few short stories, but all decently interesting. Hewed a bit too close to Canterbury Tales but fuck it not like I paid attention when I was reading Canterbury Tales.

I liked Hyperion a lot but I'll be honest, Fall of Hyperion was more my speed. What with the high political tension and the mysteries and the massive space battles.

That initial story about the Crucifix really got me interested. It's got hope and loss and hubris and sacrifice and all very nicely executed and creepy.

But yeah I should grab Fall of Hyperion.

I liked all four books, but a not insignificant number of people didn't like Endymion or Rise of Endymion, so YMMV.

Endymion is fun but it's very much reaching into space opera territory. I'm working through it right now.

One thing that bothered me in Fall and again in Endymion is the obsession with unique storytelling devices. The device was integral to the story maybe once or twice in Fall. The rest of the time, it just kind of got in the way and drew me out of the world.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Gooey wrote: »
    the worst part about school shootings (apart from the people hurt, of course) is that it opens up the floor for talking heads to yell about gun control on evening editorial shows and somehow we completely bypass the discussion as to why all this happened.

rock and roll music and violent video games, of course

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    they also incessantly corrected every other aspect of grammar. we kept the dictionaries (about 20), fowler, the king's english, etc all by the dining table

the worst part is it makes me wince hearing bad usage of "less" and "fewer"... their program of indoctrination and conditioning succeeded

so i make up for it by typing like a dribbling 6 year old

obF2Wuw.png
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »

The center tag is gone for good reason. It's logically incompatible with the way CSS operates, which is way more powerful. It's a shame but it's nesessary. Just think a little more carfully and make auto-expanding margins.

Something else must be going on because the stuff that everybody says should work doesn't.

I hate dicking around with CSS. I just want the page to work! This is ridiculous.

Teenagers are terrible.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

and banning prayer in schools.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

not enough prayer in schools, obvi

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

I think dubstep is this generation's rock and roll music

919UOwT.png
    loser got beat like a read headed step child who deals with his emotions through violence

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote:

Be honest - is there a justification for restriction you would accept or have you already made up your mind?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Yep. Or I guess in the political climate, "Is this just the kind of tragedy that Obama has been waiting for to use as an excuse to take away your guns?"

Because telling parents that they're doing things wrong and telling society it's dysfunctional doesn't make people watch your commercials, I guess.

I think dubstep is this generation's rock and roll music

He did it for the drop

I eated chips tonight and they gave me a yummy!

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Man, to have a school shooting so close to where I live, it's chilling.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/27/justice/ohio-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

is lining up the middle schools, high schools, and elementary schools an Ohio thing?

steam_sig.png
    So the Sequelitis guy got into a game-testing "Apprentice" style reality show, did really well then got kicked out? Lame.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If we're going to use the Constitution as a justification for a right to bear arms, then that's fine, as long as you're okay with the arms in question being single-shot black powder muskets.

Stupidest fucking amendment.

Thanatos on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm a tad freaked out by that lockdown business in the article. An administrator pushed a button and all exits closed and locked themselves? Am I reading that right?

This discussion has been closed.