As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Jante [Chat]

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'd all be in favour of a Secondish Amendment that requires we all have longbows.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    but then wed all have to train to use them

and im not sure i want to get bone spurs from a 200 pound pull bow

obF2Wuw.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If we're going to use the Constitution as a justification for a right to bear arms, then that's fine, as long as you're okay with the arms in question being single-shot black powder muskets.

Stupidest fucking amendment.

Every gun is single shot.

nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The only difference is the reloading time.

nibXTE7.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    If we're going to use the Constitution as a justification for a right to bear arms, then that's fine, as long as you're okay with the arms in question being single-shot black powder muskets.

Ha! Maybe your guns.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I want my Contra Spread-gun dangit.
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm a tad freaked out by that lockdown business in the article. An administrator pushed a button and all exits closed and locked themselves? Am I reading that right?

If it's using a mag-lock security system like the ones we have at work, it's not that the exits locked themselves, it's that they stop responding to unlock requests/REXs.

mindspork on
    but then wed all have to train to use them

and im not sure i want to get bone spurs from a 200 pound pull bow

If we're obligated to have a weapon, might as well get some exercise out of it.

Ha! Maybe your guns.

moe5guns.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Also Dark Souls: So good.

So good! It's a bit silly hard, and I'm slightly annoyed that everything can't definitely be parried/rolled out of all the time, but it's so cool. I killed a Drake! Then got pounded to paste over and over by some giant knights.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    no, mr oceanic! we are obliged, not obligated

OH GOD WHY DID IT HAPPEN TO MEEEEEEEEE

obF2Wuw.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    the worst part about school shootings (apart from the people hurt, of course) is that it opens up the floor for talking heads to yell about gun control on evening editorial shows and somehow we completely bypass the discussion as to why all this happened.

Yep. Or I guess in the political climate, "Is this just the kind of tragedy that Obama has been waiting for to use as an excuse to take away your guns?"

Because telling parents that they're doing things wrong and telling society it's dysfunctional doesn't make people watch your commercials, I guess.

Well I think there are politicians on either side of the gun control debate who try to use every tragedy as a political football to advance their position.

But yeah, telling people "shit like this happens because you are terrible parents to your children or because your children are terrible people to other children" doesn't resonate with viewers

I started thinking about this again the other day - the case of that poor kid who killed himself after his room mate outed him was in the news - I think the room mate was either sentenced or it's gone to trial? I dunno. I thought about it though, and it made me so god damn mad. Like, what is it that seperates that kid from killing himself and another from getting a gun and hurting others? It all seems steeped in the same problem that there are plenty of people in the world like the room mate that are absolute miserable shitheels and deserve no sympathy

919UOwT.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I'm a tad freaked out by that lockdown business in the article. An administrator pushed a button and all exits closed and locked themselves? Am I reading that right?

Usually it means the teachers secure the doors via lock. It's possible to rig an access control system to do that but it would be expensive and out of most schools budgets. You'd need a ton of door controllers, electronic strikes and work on the doors themselves. There are a couple of alternate ways to wire that but they are on a sliding scale of acceptability to a Fire Marshal.

The theory behind it is that by getting all of the students into classrooms you reduce confusion. And it provides a degree of protection. Shooting out a lock doesn't work in real life like it does in the movies. Shooting a lock just means you're likely to jam it. So you make it harder for a shooter to get at the majority of the students. But it does suck to be you if you were in the bathroom when the lockdown happens.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    The recent rash of teenagers engaging in violent, anti-social, and uncooperative behavior that is not at all like we were when we were their age can best be explained by that damn music they are listening to. One teen we spoke with said that popular artists like SkullX urge listeners to 'drop' one another - a reference to murdering ones peers.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    So the Sequelitis guy got into a game-testing "Apprentice" style reality show, did really well then got kicked out? Lame.

But I like that guy!

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

Not so much, no.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If a person is determined to hurt people they will hurt people.

Taking from law abiding citizens does not fix this problem.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png

Not so much, no.

There's no difference between that and a magazine fed weapon, aside from how and how fast it's reloaded. Every gun is single shot.

nibXTE7.png
    edited February 2012
    we have one of those breech loading elephant guns downstairs somewhere

shits hilarious, takes like a 0.6 cartridge

doesnt work any more tho

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    no, mr oceanic! we are obliged, not obligated

OH GOD WHY DID IT HAPPEN TO MEEEEEEEEE

Do I have to whip out the Stephen Fry Typokinetic?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    the worst part about school shootings (apart from the people hurt, of course) is that it opens up the floor for talking heads to yell about gun control on evening editorial shows and somehow we completely bypass the discussion as to why all this happened.

Yep. Or I guess in the political climate, "Is this just the kind of tragedy that Obama has been waiting for to use as an excuse to take away your guns?"

Because telling parents that they're doing things wrong and telling society it's dysfunctional doesn't make people watch your commercials, I guess.

Well I think there are politicians on either side of the gun control debate who try to use every tragedy as a political football to advance their position.

But yeah, telling people "shit like this happens because you are terrible parents to your children or because your children are terrible people to other children" doesn't resonate with viewers

I started thinking about this again the other day - the case of that poor kid who killed himself after his room mate outed him was in the news - I think the room mate was either sentenced or it's gone to trial? I dunno. I thought about it though, and it made me so god damn mad. Like, what is it that seperates that kid from killing himself and another from getting a gun and hurting others? It all seems steeped in the same problem that there are plenty of people in the world like the room mate that are absolute miserable shitheels and deserve no sympathy

The unfortunate thing is that people like the shitheel roommate are themselves a product of their environment and what needs to happen is coming together as a society to help such individuals become more mindful of their fellow human beings.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Also Dark Souls: So good.

So good! It's a bit silly hard, and I'm slightly annoyed that everything can't definitely be parried/rolled out of all the time, but it's so cool. I killed a Drake! Then got pounded to paste over and over by some giant knights.

anything that doesn't look like you can parry it can't be parried, and everything can be rolled out of - unless you're too close, and it's got a long reach. in that case, your only recourse is to block, and everything can be blocked (though its effectiveness of course varies depending on your shield's stats).

blocking sometimes doesn't work if the attack is so long that it in fact strikes you at such an angle that it's more behind you than in front. this doesn't mean it's unblockable, it just means that you would have to turn to face the attack (which means releasing lock on), I'm pretty sure. very rare though.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Usually it means the teachers secure the doors via lock. It's possible to rig an access control system to do that but it would be expensive and out of most schools budgets. You'd need a ton of door controllers, electronic strikes and work on the doors themselves. There are a couple of alternate ways to wire that but they are on a sliding scale of acceptability to a Fire Marshal.

The theory behind it is that by getting all of the students into classrooms you reduce confusion. And it provides a degree of protection. Shooting out a lock doesn't work in real life like it does in the movies. Shooting a lock just means you're likely to jam it. So you make it harder for a shooter to get at the majority of the students. But it does suck to be you if you were in the bathroom when the lockdown happens.

That makes more sense. The incident happened at 7:38 in the morning, before classes but I guess teachers would still be in their classrooms.

Now I want to play Contra.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shooting a bow is no easy matter. Unless you're a wimp and use a compound bow like a little wimpy wimp.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    dont panic rms its the legacy of my parents

it doesnt matter... but im judging you

JUDGING YOU

obF2Wuw.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

Not so much, no.
    There's no difference between that and a magazine fed weapon, aside from how and how fast it's reloaded. Every gun is single shot.
    A single-shot weapon requires manual intervention to reload. A magazine-fed weapon does not.

That would be what we call "a difference."

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If a person is determined to hurt people they will hurt people.

Taking from law abiding citizens does not fix this problem.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22309595#Comment_22309595

i used to be able to do contra with the regular 9 lives

it was 3 lives and 3 continues, right?

919UOwT.png

Not so much, no.
    A single-shot weapon requires manual intervention to reload. A magazine-fed weapon does not.

Magazine-fed bolt-action rifles require manual intervention to reload. Single-action revolvers require manual intervention to reload. Every gun is single shot.

nibXTE7.png

I watched James Rolfe (Angry Video Game Nerd)'s memories of Contra video. He literally beat Contra before breakfast. That was awesome.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Metalstorm disagrees!
    mindspork wrote: »

If it's using a mag-lock security system like the ones we have at work, it's not that the exits locked themselves, it's that they stop responding to unlock requests/REXs.

Um, kinda. First you'd never see a school deploy maglocks for every classroom door. That's way too fucking expensive. And a maglock system doesn't need to be configured for that. For a school, you'd likely have the maglocks off during the day and simply turn them on a scheduled at night. Or you set up a pair of REXs, one tied to a push button and one to a motion detector. And the big problem with an access control based locked down is that pulling the fire alarm will disable it.

dudes if you want to debate gun control, make a thread

we're due for another one anyway

919UOwT.png
  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular

That would be 12 lives.

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular

Not so much, no.

Magazine-fed bolt-action rifles require manual intervention to reload. Single-action revolvers require manual intervention to reload. Every gun is single shot.

You are just going to continue to say a term means what you think it means instead of the definition that was posted in this very quote tree?

Why?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    spool32 wrote:
    The Law and the Constitution are not equal.

I don't give a shit. The Constitution is used as it's own justification, exactly the same way religious zealots use the bible.

It's just a piece of paper and proves nothing.

The right to bear arms should be justified with reason and logic, not "It. Was. Written."

No,no, no,no, a thousand times no. We should not have to constantly justify our inherent rights, rights described in the Constitution but not granted to us by it. Those who wish to restrict those rights should have to justify their wish, at each and every step.

The people have the right to defend themselves, their families, their communities, their nation, and their freedom. bearing I arms to this end is inherent, and does not need to be constantly justified. It is restrictions on this right that bear the burden of proof.

Be honest - is there a justification for restriction you would accept or have you already made up your mind?

Absolutely. I think I've spent this whole vignette saying that every sensible 2nd Amendment scholar and lawyer says there should be some restriction on the 2nd, just as there is with all the freedoms listed in the 1st. I even offered to dig up a paper describing exactly the sort of restrictions a supporter of Heller and the incorporation of the 2nd thinks is reasonable.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

Not so much, no.

You are just going to continue to say a term means what you think it means instead of the definition that was posted in this very quote tree?

Why?

"Every gun is single shot" is just avant garde punctuation.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Not so much, no.

"single shot" means that you can only load one shot at a time. you can only put one bullet or ball or what have you in the weapon. like, the term exists for a reason. it's not a made up term, or a fiction.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

The unfortunate thing is that people like the shitheel roommate are themselves a product of their environment and what needs to happen is coming together as a society to help such individuals become more mindful of their fellow human beings.

You say so many intelligent and well informed things that I completely agree with.

so many.

steam_sig.png
    Thomamelas wrote: »

That makes more sense. The incident happened at 7:38 in the morning, before classes but I guess teachers would still be in their classrooms.

I deal with lockdown stuff regularly. Most of the systems I work with are based in schools and lockdown doesn't make me super comfortable. But no one has come up with a better solution and lockdown provides some protection.

This discussion has been closed.