Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[FILM] School Generation

1798082848599

Posts

  • Linespider5Linespider5 Eat at Jobe's Registered User regular
    *blinks*
    Drive? Um...I think you're missing the point. Or stretching it. Or maybe somehow both.

    Uh the director himself has said that Drive was sorta his take on the superhero genre.

    Well, that's fine I guess, but I don't think he's right about it. I understand that might be his intent, but...no.

    apwf9ourrtfs.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    It felt like a version of a superhero story to me when I watched it. Guy has a secret identity, helps people with almost superhuman skill, mentor character, strict moral code - shit, he even had a costume/emblem.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    A pretty big theme in the movie is the incongruity of "heroes" in media and reality.

    Quire.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    *blinks*
    Drive? Um...I think you're missing the point. Or stretching it. Or maybe somehow both.

    Uh the director himself has said that Drive was sorta his take on the superhero genre.

    Haven't seen Drive yet but from what I've gathered it's closer an action movie or noir then a super-hero film. Then again, this is the guy who is obsessed with casting Christina Hendricks for Wonder Woman on nothing more than she's Christina Hendricks.

  • TexiKenTexiKen don't put too many onions in the sauce Registered User regular
    And a real hero

    real human being

    *synthesizer*

    gfp1_zpskbps8agi.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    *blinks*
    Drive? Um...I think you're missing the point. Or stretching it. Or maybe somehow both.

    Uh the director himself has said that Drive was sorta his take on the superhero genre.

    Haven't seen Drive yet but from what I've gathered it's closer an action movie or noir then a super-hero film. Then again, this is the guy who is obsessed with casting Christina Hendricks for Wonder Woman on nothing more than she's Christina Hendricks.

    There is frankly a lot of stuff in there. I would object to naming it any of those things.

    Quire.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Captain America was totally decent, but flubbed the character arc by finishing it way too soon. Spoiler'd for that:
    Once the Cap runs that first mission, he's achieved everything he wanted: to win the admiration of his fellows by serving his country in the war. Unfortunately, there's still a whole villain and plot to get through, and the ensuing montage/scenes were completely devoid of drama or interest, despite lots of whizzbang explosions, guns, trains, etc. Because Captain America is fucking invincible, dipshits--if you want me to care about him punching something, I have to care about how it makes him feel, not whether or not he'll succeed or how "cool" he looks throwing the punch.

    Luckily for the Avengers, Captain America gets a new character at the end of the movie and then suddenly things are interesting again.
    Cap wasn't invincible in the film. Sure, he was a major badass but he didn't waltz through the movie without a scratch. He almost got killed in the finale by a Hydra mook until Peggy saved his ass at the last minute in Red Skull's base. He almost got killed in his battle on the train, as well. IIRC he needed Bucky's help to kill the Hydra flame-throwing mook. Neither were easy fights for him.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Captain America was totally decent, but flubbed the character arc by finishing it way too soon. Spoiler'd for that:
    Once the Cap runs that first mission, he's achieved everything he wanted: to win the admiration of his fellows by serving his country in the war. Unfortunately, there's still a whole villain and plot to get through, and the ensuing montage/scenes were completely devoid of drama or interest, despite lots of whizzbang explosions, guns, trains, etc. Because Captain America is fucking invincible, dipshits--if you want me to care about him punching something, I have to care about how it makes him feel, not whether or not he'll succeed or how "cool" he looks throwing the punch.

    Luckily for the Avengers, Captain America gets a new character at the end of the movie and then suddenly things are interesting again.
    Cap wasn't invincible in the film. Sure, he was a major badass but he didn't waltz through the movie without a scratch. He almost got killed in the finale by a Hydra mook until Peggy saved his ass at the last minute in Red Skull's base. He almost got killed in his battle on the train, as well. IIRC he needed Bucky's help to kill the Hydra flame-throwing mook. Neither were easy fights for him.

    While I disagree with the overall statement of quality(and especially putting FC above it. Its a fine picture but just as flawed) that is a problem with the movie. I would have dug an extra half hour of movie to increase the personal rivalry between Steve and the Skull.

    On the other hand the most likely plot lines would have been "Steve becomes arrogant and an asshole after getting his powers, learns humility" or "Steve's friend becomes jealousy of Steves success: which would be terrible.

    Quire.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 Eat at Jobe's Registered User regular
    Yeah, Captain America and the Red Skull didn't really get a chance to develop their enmity towards one another. They really deserved to clash a few times without either being able to declare a satisfying victory over the other, so they can become more and more irritated by eachother and how their separate motivations keep throwing them in eachothers' way.

    Up until the end on the plane, Red Skull was almost more, "Hello Captain, I'm awesome and you're not and I have better things to do right now excuse me."

    apwf9ourrtfs.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah, Captain America and the Red Skull didn't really get a chance to develop their enmity towards one another. They really deserved to clash a few times without either being able to declare a satisfying victory over the other, so they can become more and more irritated by eachother and how their separate motivations keep throwing them in eachothers' way.

    Up until the end on the plane, Red Skull was almost more, "Hello Captain, I'm awesome and you're not and I have better things to do right now excuse me."

    Well The Skull had that whole "How stupid you wear a flag the two of use has outgrown" thing. It was cool but came out of no where.

    Quire.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Captain America bored the hell out of me. The lack of any rivalry whatsoever between Cap and Red Skull was lame.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Captain America was totally decent, but flubbed the character arc by finishing it way too soon. Spoiler'd for that:
    Once the Cap runs that first mission, he's achieved everything he wanted: to win the admiration of his fellows by serving his country in the war. Unfortunately, there's still a whole villain and plot to get through, and the ensuing montage/scenes were completely devoid of drama or interest, despite lots of whizzbang explosions, guns, trains, etc. Because Captain America is fucking invincible, dipshits--if you want me to care about him punching something, I have to care about how it makes him feel, not whether or not he'll succeed or how "cool" he looks throwing the punch.

    Luckily for the Avengers, Captain America gets a new character at the end of the movie and then suddenly things are interesting again.
    Cap wasn't invincible in the film. Sure, he was a major badass but he didn't waltz through the movie without a scratch. He almost got killed in the finale by a Hydra mook until Peggy saved his ass at the last minute in Red Skull's base. He almost got killed in his battle on the train, as well. IIRC he needed Bucky's help to kill the Hydra flame-throwing mook. Neither were easy fights for him.

    While I disagree with the overall statement of quality(and especially putting FC above it. Its a fine picture but just as flawed) that is a problem with the movie. I would have dug an extra half hour of movie to increase the personal rivalry between Steve and the Skull.

    On the other hand the most likely plot lines would have been "Steve becomes arrogant and an asshole after getting his powers, learns humility" or "Steve's friend becomes jealousy of Steves success: which would be terrible.

    I agree. A longer rivalry between Red Skull and Cap is a good idea. That said, I don't think it hurts the film too much without it.

    They were coming close to treading on Bucky getting jealous with Cap when Peggy ignored him IMO. I'm glad they dropped that and power corrupting him, too.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Captain America was totally decent, but flubbed the character arc by finishing it way too soon. Spoiler'd for that:
    Once the Cap runs that first mission, he's achieved everything he wanted: to win the admiration of his fellows by serving his country in the war. Unfortunately, there's still a whole villain and plot to get through, and the ensuing montage/scenes were completely devoid of drama or interest, despite lots of whizzbang explosions, guns, trains, etc. Because Captain America is fucking invincible, dipshits--if you want me to care about him punching something, I have to care about how it makes him feel, not whether or not he'll succeed or how "cool" he looks throwing the punch.

    Luckily for the Avengers, Captain America gets a new character at the end of the movie and then suddenly things are interesting again.
    Cap wasn't invincible in the film. Sure, he was a major badass but he didn't waltz through the movie without a scratch. He almost got killed in the finale by a Hydra mook until Peggy saved his ass at the last minute in Red Skull's base. He almost got killed in his battle on the train, as well. IIRC he needed Bucky's help to kill the Hydra flame-throwing mook. Neither were easy fights for him.

    While I disagree with the overall statement of quality(and especially putting FC above it. Its a fine picture but just as flawed) that is a problem with the movie. I would have dug an extra half hour of movie to increase the personal rivalry between Steve and the Skull.

    On the other hand the most likely plot lines would have been "Steve becomes arrogant and an asshole after getting his powers, learns humility" or "Steve's friend becomes jealousy of Steves success: which would be terrible.

    I agree. A longer rivalry between Red Skull and Cap is a good idea. That said, I don't think it hurts the film too much without it.

    They were coming close to treading on Bucky getting jealous with Cap when Peggy ignored him IMO. I'm glad they dropped that and power corrupting him, too.

    Actually I really liked that moment because Bucky ends up backing him completely. He's no longer the top dog in there relationship but Steve is his friend so he's happy for him. Steve ability doesn't diminish him.

    Quire.jpg
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Captain America was totally decent, but flubbed the character arc by finishing it way too soon. Spoiler'd for that:
    Once the Cap runs that first mission, he's achieved everything he wanted: to win the admiration of his fellows by serving his country in the war. Unfortunately, there's still a whole villain and plot to get through, and the ensuing montage/scenes were completely devoid of drama or interest, despite lots of whizzbang explosions, guns, trains, etc. Because Captain America is fucking invincible, dipshits--if you want me to care about him punching something, I have to care about how it makes him feel, not whether or not he'll succeed or how "cool" he looks throwing the punch.

    Luckily for the Avengers, Captain America gets a new character at the end of the movie and then suddenly things are interesting again.
    Cap wasn't invincible in the film. Sure, he was a major badass but he didn't waltz through the movie without a scratch. He almost got killed in the finale by a Hydra mook until Peggy saved his ass at the last minute in Red Skull's base. He almost got killed in his battle on the train, as well. IIRC he needed Bucky's help to kill the Hydra flame-throwing mook. Neither were easy fights for him.
    I had typed up a response to this before I realized that, like you, I was missing the point, which is not that the Captain is literally invincible (although I don't recall the movie proving otherwise) or that his fights weren't ever in doubt (although I think the worst thing that happens to him there is being slightly delayed, other than Bucky taking a header off the train). The point is that the story tells us Captain America must fight Red Skull because it is so--because Good must triumph over Evil and all that ideal crap that's the thematic equivalent of Harry Potter wizards throwing CG lasers at each other--and for no other reason. As far as I can tell, during those sequences, Cap fights so that the movie will end when he's done. There's nothing personal to hold onto--he literally has no personal stake in what's going on, merely a box marked "Good Guys" he's been told by the script to inhabit.

    These are all ways of saying the same thing, something people pick up on when they complain that the hero and the villain have no personal enmity beyond "you work for this side, and I work for that side": up until this point in the film it is a story about a guy, and after that point in the film it is a video game about abstractions. They might as well be fighting over the high score.

    Captain America doesn't become a movie again until he's forced to sacrifice his life and any possibility of losing his virginity--an interesting and dramatic decision that is made by a character, not an action-figure. Not because he's no longer winning, but because he once again remembers that he has a goal, something he has a personal stake in. A character without drive is not a character, and a movie without a character is boring as fuck.

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dear MPAA: Would you kindly go fuck yourselves:
    http://www.salon.com/2012/02/29/the_mpaas_bully_outrage/

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Dear MPAA: Would you kindly go fuck yourselves:
    http://www.salon.com/2012/02/29/the_mpaas_bully_outrage/

    yeah the "one fuck" rule is just getting more ridiculous every day.

  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Captain America bored the hell out of me. The lack of any rivalry whatsoever between Cap and Red Skull was lame.

    I didn't like that the movie just kind of assumes you will like CA just because he was a little weenie with a heart of gold. We all knew he was going to get steroids and get huge, and that's really what everyone was waiting for. It would be interesting to see what a more unconventional (though it's the norm now) narrative would've looked like, where we got to see things through flashback. Not saying it's better, but it could be.

    I'm also genuinely surprised that people in this thread know the names of the other characters in this movie. Were they in the comics or something?

  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Opinions follow, etc,

    I thought Captain America was absolutely dreadful, far worse than Thor. Cap had

    Period drama gone wrong,
    Every WW2 cliche unrelentingly shoved in,
    Creepy CG at the beginning, lazy use of CG later (windows, a tank, simple stuff),
    Bad pacing,
    and near the end it looked like all the members of Hydra were playing with GI Joe and Halo weapons.

    !
  • Linespider5Linespider5 Eat at Jobe's Registered User regular
    I do hate the 'secret army that's from fucking nowhere' but it kind of makes sense. Red Skull was all about out-Nazi-ing the Nazis and being the supervillain of the Third Reich. As in, the Third Reich considers him a danger to the public at large. That's my reading of the movie, anyway. He supered up his troops and gave them cooler toys and all that.

    Would've been cooler to see some buildup on Red Skull, but, then again, this is a movie about Captain America.

    apwf9ourrtfs.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I felt the same way about Hydra.

    I would've rather them just be Nazis, honestly.

    Still liked the film though.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I felt the same way about Hydra.

    I would've rather them just be Nazis, honestly.

    Still liked the film though.

    They originally were Nazis. When Red Skull got the
    Tesseract
    he had enough power and influence to make Hydra independent.

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I felt the same way about Hydra.

    I would've rather them just be Nazis, honestly.

    Still liked the film though.

    They originally were Nazis. When Red Skull got the
    Tesseract
    he had enough power and influence to make Hydra independent.

    True, I think I just would've preferred it to be more concrete or something. I think instead of the montage we should've gotten a couple scenes of Hydra starting to do Hydray things. Or both, cause I liked the montage and the song.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I felt the same way about Hydra.

    I would've rather them just be Nazis, honestly.

    Still liked the film though.

    They originally were Nazis. When Red Skull got the
    Tesseract
    he had enough power and influence to make Hydra independent.

    True, I think I just would've preferred it to be more concrete or something. I think instead of the montage we should've gotten a couple scenes of Hydra starting to do Hydray things. Or both, cause I liked the montage and the song.

    That's a good criticism. The movie would have been better had they focussed on the inner workings of Hydra to contrast it with the SSR. Except for Red Skull and Zola Hydra being only faceless, nameless thugs was a misstep IMO.

    Harry Dresden on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Indeed, it made you not care about the movie's EPIC BATTLE until you get to the plane. Which was mentioned up above somewhere.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

    I didn't notice these timejumps at all!

    Edit: The person who uploaded the video points out: "...everything [is] green. The clothes, walls, olive's poop, olive's name." I didn't notice that either!

    wandering on
    vaGCYcc.jpg?2
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    reposting this from the chat thread because I think it's both unfortunate and true:

    BBaN8.jpg

    Jacobkosh on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's taken so long to get John Carter made. I really hope it's an exciting and enjoyable film. But at the same time, I look at how they handled Prince of Persia...

    optimusmegs-winter.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    John Carter is basically a Pixar movie so I am excited about it even though the trailers do nothing for me.

    vaGCYcc.jpg?2
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Opinions follow, etc,

    I thought Captain America was absolutely dreadful, far worse than Thor. Cap had

    Period drama gone wrong,
    Every WW2 cliche unrelentingly shoved in,
    Creepy CG at the beginning, lazy use of CG later (windows, a tank, simple stuff),
    Bad pacing,
    and near the end it looked like all the members of Hydra were playing with GI Joe and Halo weapons.

    The general consensus on Captain America was that it was great for comic book fans, mediocre/boring for everyone else. Thor got a much better reaction/reception from what I saw and experienced.

    The Internet community represents such a small percentage when it comes to the average moviegoer.

    0WBv0.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    reposting this from the chat thread because I think it's both unfortunate and true:

    BBaN8.jpg

    But John Carter ISN'T new. He's based on a book.

    There's a third thing that I've heard a lot of people complain about: Adaptations of existing IP.

    Come find me when you wake up

    Hex TCG tradelist: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/tradelist=22167
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    ut John Carter ISN'T new. He's based on a book.

    There's a third thing that I've heard a lot of people complain about: Adaptations of existing IP.

    [/quote]
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    reposting this from the chat thread because I think it's both unfortunate and true:

    BBaN8.jpg

    I don't know if I can blame the press that much when its own studio doesn't know what the hell to do with it, but I dig his annoyance.



  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    reposting this from the chat thread because I think it's both unfortunate and true:

    BBaN8.jpg

    It's not that simple. Disney has done nothing to set up the brand for the public to latch on to before the film is released. They should have spent years having a tv show based on the books on the air, live action or cartoon, to educate people on its premise and build up its fanbase. They have the resources to do this. It's also an obscure property very few people know or cared about. It doesn't have any A-listers, either.

    Harry Dresden on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 Eat at Jobe's Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    reposting this from the chat thread because I think it's both unfortunate and true:

    BBaN8.jpg

    It's not that simple. Disney has done nothing to set up the brand for the public to latch on to before the film is released. They should have spent years having a tv show based on the books on the air, live action or cartoon, to educate people on its premise and build up its fanbase. They have the resources to do this. It's also an obscure property very few people know or cared about. It doesn't have any A-listers, either.

    Well, maybe it'll become this beloved thing fifteen years from now and enjoy some kind of renaissance.

    Eh, who am I kidding. Nobody makes discoveries anymore.

    apwf9ourrtfs.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    reposting this from the chat thread because I think it's both unfortunate and true:

    BBaN8.jpg

    It's not that simple. Disney has done nothing to set up the brand for the public to latch on to before the film is released. They should have spent years having a tv show based on the books on the air, live action or cartoon, to educate people on its premise and build up its fanbase. They have the resources to do this. It's also an obscure property very few people know or cared about. It doesn't have any A-listers, either.

    So you can't just release a new property for film?

    Quire.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh cool, Indiana Jones is finally making it to blu-ray. the collection comes out in the fall.

    steam_sig.png
    My Portfolio | Behance Portfolio I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle) | FFXIV: Phyla Zuul
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    The old IP/sequel/remake distinction is a bit weird in this case, since most of the time sequels/remakes/old IP films are made as a safe bet during a weak economy and the studios can rely on a ready-made audience.

    But with John Carter, even though he is pre-existing IP, they aren't treating him like one - not a hint of "Remember John Carter? HE'S BACK! ON THE BIG SCREEN!" Heck they won't even call him "John Carter of Mars" in the title. Essentially they're forfeiting any of the boost they could get from JC being an existing IP, but they're also not giving it the marketing promotion that they would give a fully-fledged original IP.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    reposting this from the chat thread because I think it's both unfortunate and true:

    BBaN8.jpg

    It's not that simple. Disney has done nothing to set up the brand for the public to latch on to before the film is released. They should have spent years having a tv show based on the books on the air, live action or cartoon, to educate people on its premise and build up its fanbase. They have the resources to do this. It's also an obscure property very few people know or cared about. It doesn't have any A-listers, either.

    So you can't just release a new property for film?

    You can, but if you're risking a huge budget like they have it's better to lower the chances of it failing in any way they can. Marvel figured this out by having a cartoon released years before the film is released, not just tying it into the other films.

  • TexiKenTexiKen don't put too many onions in the sauce Registered User regular
    oh cool, Indiana Jones is finally making it to blu-ray. the collection comes out in the fall.

    Hopefully not in the same crappy packaging that Back to the Future came in.

    gfp1_zpskbps8agi.jpg
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    The old IP/sequel/remake distinction is a bit weird in this case, since most of the time sequels/remakes/old IP films are made as a safe bet during a weak economy and the studios can rely on a ready-made audience.

    But with John Carter, even though he is pre-existing IP, they aren't treating him like one - not a hint of "Remember John Carter? HE'S BACK! ON THE BIG SCREEN!" Heck they won't even call him "John Carter of Mars" in the title. Essentially they're forfeiting any of the boost they could get from JC being an existing IP, but they're also not giving it the marketing promotion that they would give a fully-fledged original IP.

    It's certainly better than Pirates 8, Still Don't Let Me In, Transformers: Red Side of Mars, or Girl with the Draconic Skin Art. I'm mostly just objecting to him claiming it's something NEW.

    That said, I agree that the way they're marketing it now makes it seems like it's just an Avatar rip-off. If I hadn't previously heard of John Carter of Mars, I'd think that too.

    Come find me when you wake up

    Hex TCG tradelist: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/tradelist=22167
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    oh cool, Indiana Jones is finally making it to blu-ray. the collection comes out in the fall.

    Hopefully not in the same crappy packaging that Back to the Future came in.

    Ugh, I think I complain about that packaging every chance I get. My packaging design class my junior year went on a trip to target and the professor had us find examples of good packaging and bad packaging. the back to the future box set was the first thing I thought of as bad.

    initiatefailure on
    steam_sig.png
    My Portfolio | Behance Portfolio I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle) | FFXIV: Phyla Zuul
This discussion has been closed.