As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twenty thousand posts under the SE(++), or, Emergent group dynamics in online communities

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    Actually, that's the other thing that really bugs me: the use of the word meme to describe shitty image macros and one-liners.
    The original definition, as per Richard Dawkins (though my favorite discussion on meme theory is still Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, which was actually written a couple years before the coining of the term), is one of the coolest words ever because it covers the idea that cultural ideas are transferred and evolved, which covers language and religion, along with things like Bart Simpson t-shirts and Kilroy Was Here, not to mention the cornucopia of shit that is the internet. The more vulgar definition didn't really catch on outside of 4chan until really only about two or three years ago.

the term meme was used all over the place to describe stupid cat macros way before 2009/2010

Meh, my general point remains. Internet history kinda blurs together for me, to the point where I actually forgot lolcats were five fucking years ago already. And lolcats were (besides ORLY/YARLY) kinda the first phase of popular image macros to follow the current archetype of "take picture, plug shit in, profit" that everyone got in on and made their own versions of.

Harry_Whittier_Frees_-_What%27s_Delaying_My_Dinner.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harry_Whittier_Frees_-_What's_Delaying_My_Dinner.jpg

circa 1905

:rotate:

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I just retired my Leet liek Jeff K mousepad.

Sad day.

(it was really dirty)

I accidentally found one of those articles while googling for something the other day. I was kinda weirded out that it'd show up on the first page of a search.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Actually, that's the other thing that really bugs me: the use of the word meme to describe shitty image macros and one-liners.
    The original definition, as per Richard Dawkins (though my favorite discussion on meme theory is still Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, which was actually written a couple years before the coining of the term), is one of the coolest words ever because it covers the idea that cultural ideas are transferred and evolved, which covers language and religion, along with things like Bart Simpson t-shirts and Kilroy Was Here, not to mention the cornucopia of shit that is the internet. The more vulgar definition didn't really catch on outside of 4chan until really only about two or three years ago.

the term meme was used all over the place to describe stupid cat macros way before 2009/2010

Meh, my general point remains. Internet history kinda blurs together for me, to the point where I actually forgot lolcats were five fucking years ago already. And lolcats were (besides ORLY/YARLY) kinda the first phase of popular image macros to follow the current archetype of "take picture, plug shit in, profit" that everyone got in on and made their own versions of.

Harry_Whittier_Frees_-_What%27s_Delaying_My_Dinner.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harry_Whittier_Frees_-_What's_Delaying_My_Dinner.jpg

circa 1905

:rotate:

Well played.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Memeis Vulgaris.

Memeis Nobilis.

????

edited February 2012
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Memeis Vulgaris.

Memeis Nobilis.

????

Valar Dohaeris.

Brolo on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Memeis Vulgaris.

Memeis Nobilis.

????

Valar Dohaeris.

In Flam Grav

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Memeis Vulgaris.

Memeis Nobilis.

????

Valar Dohaeris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOLeLX0Q9U&feature=player_embedded#!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Memetic engineering

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Memeis Vulgaris.

Memeis Nobilis.

????

Valar Dohaeris.

In Flam Grav

Appreciatin' this post, Weaver.

:^:

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Corp por

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote:
    Memetic engineering

Nope.avi

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    'plug shit in pre-made comic' memes are just more officially derivative than photoshopping a laser into someone's mouth

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Oh wait that was a memetic engineer

'plug shit in pre-made comic' memes are just more officially derivative than photoshopping a laser into someone's mouth

i admit that I may have shooped a whoop back in my youth

but i didn't inhale

Didn't there used to be an SE UO server?

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

keep_your_fork_theres_pie_cat3.jpg

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't think so

There are buttloads of free shards out there though

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    “Am I ugly?” Teens turn to YouTube trolls for the answer
    A batch of YouTube videos shows teenage and adolescent girls sitting expectantly in front of their computer monitors and asking Internet trolls for their “honest opinion,” a modern day version of “mirror, mirror on the wall.”

JoeUser wrote: »
    A batch of YouTube videos shows teenage and adolescent girls sitting expectantly in front of their computer monitors and asking Internet trolls for their “honest opinion,” a modern day version of “mirror, mirror on the wall.”

teenage girls are just the dumbest

nearly as dumb as grown-ass men who spend their spare time posting comments on the internet

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    how did

how would it come to be that a human being could decide

what if

teenage girls are just the dumbest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cwjSoj0qSw&t=33s

Just go to :33

Everyone on the internet is terrible

What are you talking abo

http://kotaku.com/5888677/how-i-achieved-greatness-on-a-sonic-the-hedgehog+themed-bed
    This article is part of a series where I try to get hired at Kotaku as a gaming columnist.
    “Beep, beep, beep.” My Pikachu alarm clock goes off on my nightstand, but I’m already awake. I feel just like Nathan Hale in Resistance. (Or at least Joe Capelli.)

I don’t know why I love video games as much as I do, but I do. Oh sure, I got the lectures from my dad about how they were a waste of life. “You know what’s a waste of life is when you realize you’ve been trying to beat the Dragon God from Demon’s Souls the wrong way,” I would always retort. That quieted him down. Whether it was gaming, anime or collectible card games, I wonder if my dad worried exactly which fandom rabbit-hole I’d be lost down forever, like poor Alice.

But not Lewis Carroll’s Alice. American McGee’s Alice.

Even though I phonetically memorized the lyrics to the Neon Genesis Evangelion theme song (true story!), it wasn’t anime that would punch my geek card. It was video games. Each day, I put on my Ex Officio underwear (Give-N-Go Aztecs, $30 a pair — the only underwear I will allow to cradle my family jewels), my RVCA jeans, my beat-to-hell Chucks, a silk vintage bowling shirt and a pair of taped-up Oakleys I punched the lenses out of.

Shirt? No need.

Today is Video Game Day… and a shirt would only get in the way.

I approach the obsidian altar that is my PS3 and mount up. (My bedroom has seen a fair amount of mounting, in its day — I’ve bedded at least four different women in my life, but that’s a different kind of game. U MAD BRO?) Today’s gaming sesh: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. All day. Until it’s done.

When you’re me, it’s that easy.

My HTC Amaze 4G is crazy-ringing off the hook. (No weak Apple “sauce” here, bro.) It’s one of my friends from my college group of bangers. We called ourselves the Hard Boys. I’m a hard boy for life and I’d love a night out of buds and suds. But not today. Not today. Because it’s Video Game Day.

Guess I’m the best.

Kris Straub is a hard boy who’s down to get rude. He is a writer, actor, musician, chef, and will teabag the living f out of you in Killzone 3.

I hope I got all the elements right. I know authenticity is crucial, and I’m worried I didn’t mention enough games and brands.

http://chainsawsuit.com/2012/02/28/guess-im-the-best-how-games-made-me-sexy-and-great/

I love Kris Straub.

edited February 2012
    Everyone on the internet is terrible

What are you talking abo

http://kotaku.com/5888677/how-i-achieved-greatness-on-a-sonic-the-hedgehog+themed-bed
    This article is part of a series where I try to get hired at Kotaku as a gaming columnist.
    Kris Straub is a hard boy who’s down to get rude. He is a writer, actor, musician, chef, and will teabag the living f out of you in Killzone 3.

I hope I got all the elements right. I know authenticity is crucial, and I’m worried I didn’t mention enough games and brands.

http://chainsawsuit.com/2012/02/28/guess-im-the-best-how-games-made-me-sexy-and-great/

I love Kris Straub.

This is fucking golden.

Mortal Sky on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Wow, I also love Kris Straub apparantly

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Have we had a thread dedicated to bashing Gawker media yet? Because that would be a truly great thread.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I love 5secondfilms

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    man i don't really have anything to add to them but, as an outsider, i find the discussions currently happening in the MLP and FG communities fascinating

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What's FG?

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    fighting games

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

ohhhh

what's going on with fighting games?

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    there was an article on the new Penny Arcade Report thing about it, apparently they're super sexist and unpleasant and now the community is split between people who think being super sexist and unpleasant is part of the community and those who think it's a bad thing

sig.png
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Something to do with that fan-made pony fighting game then?

Edit: Or maybe you meant seperately, not like MLP + FG, whoops.

Marshmallow on
    oh, Chris Sims wrote a piece about that today. I didn't know it was a thing outside of that though.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    ah ha is that actually getting made

I don't know why I'm surprised

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    sometimes I wish we didn't ban people who are freaking out, as opposed to being regular terrible

like I get that it'd be a nearly impossible distinction to enforce but like

I worry that it's like man this guy is having a really rough day/week! gonna cut em off from one of their primary social networks for like a month

I know that's why we have infractions obviously but still

and I know the system ain't really broken but still

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

nearly as dumb as grown-ass men who spend their spare time posting comments on the internet

I think I'm just gonna close

this window

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    SE++ still has a few really good ones, like Ain't no cure for baby dick, Langly thumbs up, and Sendkeithamessage.jpg

Those are all pretty recent and the funny one isn't SE++ specific (ain't no cure for baby dick is a 3 Word Phrase thing)

Older SE++ memes would be like... even Megatokyo, Nads is missing, Cronyx, etc

Oh, so I'm not funny, Tossrock??!

yeah i meant the discussion in the MLP community about Derpy and the separate discussion in the FGC about sexism/harassment

l8e1peic77w3.jpg