As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jet Set Radio] is back. I think just peed myself.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    IIRC, the DC version would launch a web browser, so anything online was fair game.

I can't imagine it being hard to just access the Photos section from the XMB.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    i hope that they get Cibo Matto to re-record Birthday Cake specifically for this port

We are now archenemies.

If JSRF ever does get a rerelease, I would be completely fine if they didn't want to license Birthday Cake and Aisle 10 again. A few of the Latch Bothers songs can take a hike, too.

woah woah woah

Birthday Cake...alright, fine. but you don't take anything else away!

JKKaAGp.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    First ALL MY YES! I have been waiting for a Jet Set Radio port on modern hardware for some time now! It's a shame we're not getting a reboot or another sequel (this may be the only franchise in existence that would BENEFIT from motion controls), but a hi-res update of the game with spray-importing capabilities will do just fine.

Second, all you people talking about the JSRF soundtrack be crazy, yo. JSR OST >> JSRF OST. Hideki Naganuma for life. Sweet soul brother!

VuIBhrs.png
  • MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    i hope that they get Cibo Matto to re-record Birthday Cake specifically for this port

We are now archenemies.

If JSRF ever does get a rerelease, I would be completely fine if they didn't want to license Birthday Cake and Aisle 10 again. A few of the Latch Bothers songs can take a hike, too.

woah woah woah

Birthday Cake...alright, fine. but you don't take anything else away!

:whistle: Extra sugar, extra salt, extra oil and MSG! :whistle:

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    It only took looking up a little bit of footage to remind me of how much more I liked JSRF over the original, but oh well. Still can't wait for this.

I keep Birthday Cake on my mp3 player to this day. Every time I listen to music its like a watered down game of Russian roulette. So so terrible.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    It only took looking up a little bit of footage to remind me of how much more I liked JSRF over the original, but oh well. Still can't wait for this.

To each their own, I guess. I felt like JSRF ripped out the core gameplay mechanic, and that the game suffered badly for it in the end.

VuIBhrs.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Just heard about this coming to PC as well.

Excuse me while I nerd the fuck out for a few moments.

steam_sig.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I never got to play the original DC version. How is JSRF different from JSR?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • ConandoConando Registered User regular
    It's good to know the game will come with widescreen support. It was pretty damn disappointing when other Dreamcast ports were barely touched. I do wonder if they'll keep the feature of making graffiti from pictures. I can't imagine it would be that hard to access the 360 and PS3 photo albums through the game.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I can not wait to play as Combo again.

Combo forever.

Or Potts, if you worked hard enough to get him.

And Cube if I was feeling saucy.

But never Zero Beat, because seriously what the fuck are you.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Oh man, I remember Potts the Dog in both versions. That was so amazing due to how ridiculous the whole thing was. He had surprisingly good stats too (save for graffiti capacity).

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Interesting that they're bringing it to PC even though the other Dreamcast games they released on Steam are still broken. You still have to manually create folders to make saving work, and Space Channel 5 Part 2 is missing audio if you switch the vocal language to Japanese. MAYBE THEY'LL GO BACK AND FIX THEM??

hahahaha

I kind of doubt that, considering how poorly the Dreamcast Collection was done. It seems when they actually do individual projects, like Crazy Taxi and this, it ends up better.

finnith wrote: »
    I never got to play the original DC version. How is JSRF different from JSR?

It's mostly the tagging system. In JSRF all you ever had to do to tag something was hold the trigger as you skated past. In JSR that was only possible for small tags. For medium and large tags you were required to stop and input a series of commands on the analog stick. That series of commands would differ in difficulty based on the spraypaint skill of the character you were using.

Because the police would arrive after you completed a certain number of tags, this meant that the game had some tension and strategy involved with spraying. You'd want to knock out the large sprays before the police got there. Or else, instances where you had to tag while the police were around, you had to be quick about it - usually in those cases you'd lure the police to another location on the map, then leave them in the dust to get spraying. But while you were tagging you were a sitting duck, which meant that it was more difficult and exciting.

I believe the execution of tricks was handled differently as well, but both games were very minor in that department. There was just a trick button in JSRF, and JSR you had sparing few analog commands.

I still think JSRF is an enjoyable game. The visuals are delicious, and the soundtrack is mostly solid. I just adore JSR above and beyond it, and feel that removing the analog-input spraypaint mechanic made the game entirely too easy in some places.

VuIBhrs.png
    I don't think the biggest mistake in JSRF was dropping the analog inputs for tags, but rather making tagging and dealing with enemies completely separate modes (not to mention shifting the focus from evasion to confrontation). Even if the inputs were still there, it's not as exciting when you're not worried about the cops busting you down mid-spray.

I really liked how big and open Tokyo-to was in JSRF, as well as how much they sped up your movement, and added some extra goals with the hidden tape challenges. It would have been amazing to see a third game return to the mission structure of JSR but incorporating JSRF's improvements.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    One thing that bummed me out in JSRF.. though I could be misremembering things: In JSR, every district had its own soundtrack that fir the levels. Songs that played in Shibuya would only play in Shibuya, etc. It really helped maintain the atmosphere of each level. But I think JSRF did away with that and any song could play anywhere when you were freely roaming around.

I didn't care for the tagging changes either, but it was still a fantastic game that was worth buying an Xbox for. Even if it was the only Xbox game I ever owned. :P (I Still regret missing out on Panzer Dragoon Orta)

soempty.jpg
    JET SET!
    JET SET!
    J - S - R
    (groooovy!)
    JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So excited for Professor K to return. He's not actually playable in either JSR or JSRF, correct?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »
    JET SET!
    JET SET!
    J - S - R
    (groooovy!)

So excited for Professor K to return. He's not actually playable in either JSR or JSRF, correct?

You are sadly correct. He's not playable in either game. However, his pirate broadcasts will still give you an ooki-ooki waku-waku feeling! Better brush your teeth!

VuIBhrs.png
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    I never got to spend as much time with JSR as I did with JSRF, so I am looking forward to this.

Also, people keep expressing interest in a JSRF port. I'm pretty sure its backwards compatible with the 360.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Didn't they change it so dashing in JSRF took paint cans for whatever reason? I recall that really annoying the crap out of me.

steam_sig.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    JET SET!
    JET SET!
    J - S - R
    (groooovy!)

He's playable in the GBA game.

Also, people keep expressing interest in a JSRF port. I'm pretty sure its backwards compatible with the 360.

Yes it is. However, that doesn't help people that want it a) on PC/PS3; b) in HD/widescreen; and c) without slowdown and other graphical glitches.

Didn't they change it so dashing in JSRF took paint cans for whatever reason? I recall that really annoying the crap out of me.

Dashing in JSRF costs 10 cans, however your normal skating speed in JSRF is noticeably faster than JSR.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i've been using the JSR soundtrack on my SSX tricky runs, it's pretty much got me all pumped for this game. i might even bust out my dreamcast and play some later.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    i've been using the JSR soundtrack on my SSX tricky runs, it's pretty much got me all pumped for this game. i might even bust out my dreamcast and play some later.

Both JSR and JSRF have such wonderful soundtracks. They feel so stylish.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    I'm glad this is coming to the XBLA. That way I can use custom soundtracks to also listen to the JSRFuture soundtrack (and maybe chuck in Naganuma's tracks from Ollie Kings as well!)

SUMMER?

But I wanted it tomorrow.

Some of us have been hyped for this for nearly two years. I think you can wait a few months.

Oh Ive been one of those people too.

I just thought this time it was reeeeeeally close, instead of a lot closer.

• ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    I'm so stoked that it's having a PC digital d-load version too since I do not own a Ps3 or 360 at this time...mmmmmm. :D

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Ok I'm looking forward to this release as much as anyone, but for something that's been brewing for 2 years it doesn't really look that HDi-fied.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    JSR have one of the most fitting soundtrack in history. The only other game I can think of that rivals it is the soundtrack for The World Ends with You.

Ok I'm looking forward to this release as much as anyone, but for something that's been brewing for 2 years it doesn't really look that HDi-fied.

This game has been rumored for 2 years. Doesn't mean it's been worked on that long. And aside from widescreen and a bump up in resolution, what were you expecting?

Dirty wrote:

This game has been rumored for 2 years. Doesn't mean it's been worked on that long. And aside from widescreen and a bump up in resolution, what were you expecting?

I dunno, bump in textures or whatever weird thing they use for cel shading, maybe some upgraded models.

I mean Sega's track record with their ports is fine, they have the original game which I guess is what you want but nothing much more.

Just when you look at something like Stranger's Wrath they could be so much more.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Stranger's Wrath is really more of an exception than a rule. If you look at all the HD collections they're putting out on the PS3, they're all using the existing assets. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more done, but with something this niche, the only way it's going to make a profit is if they take the cheaper route (ie: just use existing assets).

Also, more detail isn't always better. Sometimes you get something that's techinically superior but aesthetically inferior. Just look at what Neversoft's artists did to Harmonix's characters when they took Guitar Hero to the HD consoles. Imagine if someone pulled that shit on JSR trying to make it "look better".

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote:

I dunno, bump in textures or whatever weird thing they use for cel shading, maybe some upgraded models.

I mean Sega's track record with their ports is fine, they have the original game which I guess is what you want but nothing much more.

Just when you look at something like Stranger's Wrath they could be so much more.

But if you look at Sega's previous digital re-releases you see that they're all just straight ports with a resolution increase and widescreen added on. (Lol at SADX though)

I don't want them making changes, to be honest. The game was perfect as is, and if they go in and start mucking around with too many things it just won't feel the same.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited March 2012
    Oh I'm aware of the state of re releases, I guess it's more of an issue with them as a whole. I mean I played Space Channel 5 when it came out on a compilation disc and enjoyed it, but that's because the game is great.

It is convenient to have them on a current console, but look at Wii stuff running on Dolphin. Keeps the art and style but just looks super sharp. Obviously this would be different with older games than stuff released in the past few years, but that kind of jump in fidelity would be great.

mere_immortal on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Oh I'm aware of the state of re releases, I guess it's more of an issue with them as a whole. I mean I played Space Channel 5 when it came out on a compilation disc and enjoyed it, but that's because the game is great.

It is convenient to have them on a current console, but look at Wii stuff running on Dolphin. Keeps the art and style but just looks super sharp. Obviously this would be different with older games than stuff released in the past few years, but that kind of jump in fidelity would be great.

Except that's exactly what this is, so I don't understand the issue...

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    It is convenient to have them on a current console, but look at Wii stuff running on Dolphin. Keeps the art and style but just looks super sharp.

Okay, now we're getting into stuff that's not really allowed on this forum, but I will say that you should at least wait for the PC version to come out. Maybe you'll be able to run that version at a really high resolution with 16xAA.

edited March 2012

Except that's exactly what this is, so I don't understand the issue...

I guess it's a difference of opinion then. I mean the game looks great anyway but not really much better than the DC version. As dirty said maybe I need to pick up the Steam release and see that.

Also yeah not pimping emulation or piracy at all, just the most apt comparison I could think of.

mere_immortal on