As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a chicken in possession of good vegetables, must be in want of slow roasting.

However little known the seasonings or herbs of such a bird may be on it's first entering a kitchen, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding chefs, that it is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their sous.

Burgers are fine, steaks are great, but there is nothing, nothing quite like a slowly roasted piece of meat. Whether your preference takes you to a nicely cut piece of beef, or you lean more towards a whole chicken, roasting it slowly is the best possible way to prepare it.

4752_MEDIUM.jpg

Some amongst you may question this philosophy, some may pour scorn on my ideas, some may mock me, or attack me personally.

That's fine, you're allowed your personal preferences, and I don't mind that you're wrong.

I forgive you.

Recipe #1, roasted chicken.

First, preheat your oven to about 240 C (464 F).

Layer vegetables of your choice on the bottom of a roasting tin, personally I find that 3 sliced medium onions, and a mixture of quartered carrots, quartered parsnips, whole baby button mushrooms, whole cherry tomatoes, seasoning, and a drizzle of olive oil works out really well.

Next, and this is a bit contentious with some people, I prefer to not have my chicken tied up when it is in the oven, letting it rest in a slightly more loose and natural pose, often I will do nothing but season the chicken after I place it on top of the vegetables, but feel free to experiment with putting flavours under the skin of the breast, or in the cavity.

Put the lid on your roasting tin, and put it in the oven, immediately turning it down to 160 C (320 F), and cook until it's done, I find 90 - 120 minutes is generally plenty of time for the chicken sizes I tend to get.

Personally I consider this roast a failure if the meat isn't so tender that the legs of the chicken come loose and fall off when you are lifting the bird from roasting tin to board for carving, and beyond a couple of cuts to help with the large breasts most of the meat should just pull away easily if you want it to, although this doesn't exactly give you the prettiest and neatest pieces of chicken to serve.

So let's get some saliva flowing via the sharing of recipes, and get our group hug on when dinner plans go horribly wrong for a poor soul in our midst.

Fyndir on

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    man i just ate like half a pizza and now you're making me hungry

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    A lid for a roast chicken?

Get out.

• HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    You've made me think of osso bucco. Which is delicious.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:

Get out.

Lids for everything.

Lids are the way and the light.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I baked banana nut bread in a skillet today! It's very good. Here is the recipe, thanks to pooka for linking it to me.

http://www.cookingwithsiri.com/2010/08/skillet-banana-bread.html

tLEc2.jpg

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    mm fud

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Here is a real roast chicken.

Step one Get a fucking chicken.

Preferably two kilos or so. If you don't know what a kilo is leave Syria or whatever third world country you live in.

Get some paper towel. Pat the old girl down. It's like a good blow job. The drier the better. Or something. Then rub some olive oil, cracked black pepper and salt flakes. If you are making this for friends be sure to point out which river your salt flakes came from, case you're a wanker like that. Also loudly exclaim that it's an organic, ethically produced bird. Point out that you can taste the difference and nod sagely.

Stick the chicken in the fridge and leave it the fuck alone for an hour.

Next, turn on an oven 180 degrees using god's units and boil a pot of water.

Shell a head or garlic, cut up some potatoes and yet a lemon. Boil all this for ten minutes. Stick some salt in there too.

Next, drain and seperate half the garlic and the lemon. Stab the lemon a few times and shove it up the bird's arse along with that garlic and some thyme and rosemary.

Then truss the chicken. Ignore fyndir, trussing stops the breasts from drying out, if you don't know how, or are like me, and constantly forget, got to YouTube. Pop he bird in a dish and roast for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes take the bird out, pop it on a plate and throw the potatoes and the rest of garlic in. Maybe a sliced onion too. Stir this all around, pop the chicken on top and roast for another 45 minutes.

Take out, rest for ten and serve.

Blake T on
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Blake T wrote:

Get out.

Lids for everything.

This will steam the skin which will stop the chicken getting a crispy skin.

Which at that stage I ask you what is even the point?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Every once in a while Whole Foods has a 1-day sale on whole chickens and they always say "limit 10 per customer" and I'm like whaaaaaaat

Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Get out.

Lids for everything.

The point is the meat under the skin.

The skin is just the thing that gets in the way.

Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Get out.

Lids for everything.

I will point out what I said previously.

Get Out.

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Are you only wanting roasts and casseroles? I'm not very good at cooking those. I can cook plenty of other things although pasta might be my specialty. I spent two years in Italy, and so I love pasta!

I spent two years in your mother, so I love eating out.

Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Get out.

Lids for everything.

I will point out what I said previously.

Get Out.

I usually just pick the skin off and toss it on the pile of bones and such that I'll use for making soup later. :rotate:

That's because you didn't cook it right!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I followed Blake's instructions for a roast chicken and it was indeed delicious! Also crispy skin mmmmmmmm

Banana bread in a skillet? This I must try!

Fucking rolly face.

Skillet banana bread does look like fun.

I might try coconut sorbet tonight.

<3 blake

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Ok. So we've learned that foreigners can't cook birds for shit. Ignore these fools. Especially fyndir.

Get you a bird, 4-6 pound roaster. Clean it properly. remove the wings. work your fingers under the skin to separate it from the breast. Place it back in the fridge to chill.

Get butter. 2 sticks. Chop up basil, parsley, thyme, fennel. stir these into the butter.

Get the chicken. work the butter uniformly under the skin. work it into the cavity. rub down the thighs and the breasts. Make sure to sprinkle salt and black pepper over the exterior of the bird.

truss the legs.

quarter 2 onions and 3 carrots. Place these in a single layer in the bottom of your roasting pan. add 1/2 cup of water. Lay your chicken on S.S. VegetableRaft.

Roast in a 350 degree oven. How long? I don't know. Funny thing about organic structures, they aren't all the same. Pull your chicken when it's done.

easysig2.jpg
    Yup

easysig2.jpg
    Go back Liberia stale.

How did you even learn English? Isn't it illegal over there.

Are you drunk Blake?

easysig2.jpg
    ARE YOU?

Sadly, no.

easysig2.jpg
    I don't think enough of you are praising my cunning and witty opening paragraphs, in which I altered the text of Pride and Prejudice.

8->

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I have a great sauteed brussels sprouts recipe:

Leaf brussels sprouts (This is easier to do if you blanch them first)
    Sautee sprouts in pan over high heat for 3-5 minutes (basically until you have reached your desired level of char)
    Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan so that the sprouts steam
    Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice

Serve with chopped walnuts or pecans, lemon zest, and parmigiano cheese.

Winter+2011+071.JPG

edited March 2012
    That's because we are men.

The closest we have come to that movie is google searching Keria Knightley's tiny boobs.

Blake T on
    Blake T wrote:

The closest we have come to that movie is google searching Keri's knightley's tiny boobs.

I was gonna make a post about literature, and the joys of reading.

Then I remembered you're Australian and probably don't know how.

I don't think enough of you are praising my cunning and witty opening paragraphs, in which I altered the text of Pride and Prejudice.

8->

I was being nice by pretending it's not there.

Because you must allow me to tell you how ardently I detest and despise that book.

easysig2.jpg
    Stale wrote: »

8->

I was being nice by pretending it's not there.

Because you must allow me to tell you how ardently I detest and despise that book.
    I appreciate this post.

I would also like to try your sweet potato casserole.

edited March 2012
    Blake T wrote:

The closest we have come to that movie is google searching Keri's knightley's tiny boobs.

I was gonna make a post about literature, and the joys of reading.

Then I remembered you're Australian and probably don't know how.

Next time choose an actual classic, god.

Like Bill & Ted's excellent adventure.

Blake T on
    you should make it Janson.

it's packed full of goodness and not overly sweet.

easysig2.jpg
    I shall! Huge fan of sweet potatoes, and definitely need to incorporate more vegetables into my diet.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Get out.

Seriously.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    If you want to cook a chicken though the main keys points are.

Dry that skin to start with then salt it. A dry skin to start with gives you awesome crispy skin.

Vegetables take different times to cook than the chicken. Consider this! (water (preferably stock) bathing in stale's recipe can help control this, or you can parboil and pop them in like mine, the advantage with parboiling is that you get a far nicer finish on the potatoes.

Chicken tits will dry out due to their low fat content. This is stopped in two ways. Trussing the bird and introducing moisture on the inside. The scalding hot lemon does this as it steam in the cavity keeps the breast moist as well as cooking it quicker. Covering the entire thing in butter will also result in the same thing.

Don't cut off the wings, they are delicious.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Get out.

Lids for everything.

You have reprehensible, savage opinions regarding food.
    Stay out of our kitchen. You are not welcome.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh god chicken skin when it's nice and crispy

Be still my heart

Because I ate too much chicken skin

This discussion has been closed.