As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    A lid for a roast chicken?

Get out.

Lids for everything.

Lids are the way and the light.

This will steam the skin which will stop the chicken getting a crispy skin.

Which at that stage I ask you what is even the point?

The point is the meat under the skin.

The skin is just the thing that gets in the way.

You have reprehensible, savage opinions regarding food.
    Stay out of our kitchen. You are not welcome.

To be fair, I wouldn't eat the chicken skin he makes either.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Goddammit I want a good roast chicken now

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I find it's quite easy to keep the breasts on a roast chicken from drying out by just not cooking it too long. 400-425 degrees and about 60-75 min tops and the chicken is done. Breasts are still juicy (but still bland, so we save them for putting in other stuff and eat the hindquarters).

And I always get the chicken butt, wings, and oysters. Fortunately Jess doesn't really care about them. Mmmm, chicken oysters.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Viv and I usually have one person eat the thigh and drumstick and the other gets the breast and wing.

Then the next day we swap.

As I carve I just eat the butt and oyster as I carve.

I call those chef's treats.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I use the wings elsewhere, never on a roast.

Far better fried, or used in stock.

easysig2.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I was once eating dinner with two friends, and one of their boyfriends.

The boyfriend offered to carve the chicken with the most deliciously crispy golden skin my friend had just roasted.

When he brought the meat over to the table, all the skin had disappeared. We all asked in horror as to where the skin was.

He was like, 'oh, pfft, no one likes the skin! I ate it all.' He had eaten every last scrap of skin while carving.

It was the first clue as to what a selfish bastard he was.

No one likes it.

So he ate it.

Real hero that one, it's like he jumped on a grenade for you.

• izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My dad ate all the crackling on a roast pork once. When he was so sick afterwards he won no sympathy.

izzyb on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Crispy chicken skin is ace. Bad for you but ace.

Soggy chicken skin is terrible though. I doubt I'm saying anything controversial here but still.

Y'know what's weird? Putting lemon in the roast chicken. My mind tells me "Karl you fool, this will make your chicken taste bad".

But my mind is wrong and all roast chicken should be cooked with lemon. Tastes so good

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i have this amazing recipe for roast chicken finished in a lemon, nectarine and verjuice bath. The skin stays incredibly crisp which always surprises me because i always freak out that it's going to get soggy.

i think i'm just going to start putting photos of my food in here. I always want to take shots but i suspect nobody else will find it interesting.

tumblr_m00jt4Bcvu1qffewio1_500.png

anyway the other day i made this salad. It was almost completely awesome; the chorizo was just a bit too salty. i might try it again with padano or something instead.

If you cook it right most of the fat comes off and renders down.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i make a beef casserole in the slow cooker every week

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    that is my contribution to this thread

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Say it with me people, SPATCHCOCK.
    Step one, get that bird.
    Step 2, dry him off
    Step 3, cut out his spine, kitchen shears are good for this, or you can use a dedicated bitch knife like a man who does not value his fingers. (Save the spine for stock later)
    Step 4, flip him over, press the fuck down, some things might pop, WHO CARES?!
    Step 5 salt, pepper, season him, whatever man, smoked paprika is good, maybe you are a thyme kinda man, maybe herbs de provence like a little french fairy. Just make sure he gets a good rubdown with that and some oil, outside and inside the skin.
    Step 6 Set him down skin side up on a bed of sliced onions and carrots in a cast iron skillet
    Step 7 get your broiler screaming hot
    Step 8 Shove that bitch in, and flip it when it looks delicious
    Step 9 Flip it after the other side has got some good browning, back to skin side up
    Step 10 Roast at 450 till your thermometer says you won't die. If you let that thing read over 160, you dun fucked up.

Step 11 Take it out, let it rest, maybe make some sauce with all the drippings, I dunno, it's your damn bird.

Dive in to crispy skin and succulent legs and thighs, and the most tolerable breast meat ever. Honestly, no matter how you cooked it, pass the breast meat off on your "diet" friends, or save it for sammiches.

chicken breast is only served to my least favorite people.

easysig2.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Time to post that video that I always post in every cooking thread I've ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrw5FkLutWk

This is fucking delicious in every way.

For a little variance, swap two of the lemons for limes. Other than that, follow the recipe TO THE LETTER for best results. Even the habeneros. Don't be a wuss.

You can also let this go for about 6-8 hours in the crock pot on low instead of the oven. Perfect for cooking it while you're at work and holy shit that wonderful blast of smell when you first open your door when you get home.

Protip: there is nothing wrong at all about letting the meat stay in the bag with the sauce overnight before cooking. In fact, I would recommend doing just that.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah that Rodriguez pork is damn tasty. Also a big fan of his breakfast tacos video; those homemade tortillas have ruined me for storebought ones.

Chicken breast is alright.

But I mean thigh tastes so much better. And fucking hell, even I can debone a chicken thigh if people are weird about eating meat off the bone.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    on the bone is best
    and if someone's too sissy to eat it off the bone? more for me

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I actually know a few people who don't eat meat off the bone. I used to find it weird. Then I realized what Dru just said. It means there is more for me.
    This is why I have a belly

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Two ingredient mousse last night.

8 ounces good dark chocolate
    6 ounces water

Melt together and stir like the dickens over low heat. When melted, pour into a chilled bowl that is sitting in an ice bath. Begin whisking like your life depends on it. When you begin to hit the consistency of mousse...stop. Pour it into your serving vessel. Toss it into the fridge for 10-15 minutes.

Take it out. Eat it. Enjoy the holy shit this is pure chocolate deliciousness that is this mousse. Consider adding fresh whipped cream or fruit to it to help cut back on the chocolate because it's going to be too X-treme for you.

Next time I'm going to go with 4 ounces of water and 2 ounces of Grand Marnier or something like that.

It's like drinking Mt Dew while watching Road House

easysig2.jpg
    Chocolate and alcohol reminds me of amaretto truffles

I may post the recipe when I get home

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    A lid for a roast chicken?

Get out.

Lids for everything.

Lids are the way and the light.

This will steam the skin which will stop the chicken getting a crispy skin.

Which at that stage I ask you what is even the point?

The point is the meat under the skin.

The skin is just the thing that gets in the way.

What kind of fucking beast are you

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh god, that mousse recipe. WANT SO BAD BUT I CAN'T HAVE

Damn you, pre-diabetes.

I'd post my chili recipe, but is there really such a thing? It's never so much as an ingredients list with some measurements to use as a baseline. After that, chili is free form jazz or, more appropriately, blackjack. Get it simmering, come back in twenty minutes, sample. From there, you either hit, double down or stay. Try not to go over on heat, salt or powder.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Sheri doesn't like egg yolks.

I should start baking so I have a use for them.

At all? I mean, I don't eat them if I have a hardboiled egg and I tend to stay away from sunny side up.

But scrambling things up is delicious as is the occasional fried or poached egg on top of something else that is delicious.

People don't like egg yolk? How come?

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I asked this in the last thread before it got locked but does anyone have a good Shepard's pie recipe?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    I'd respond, but I feel that we have enough Brits around here that this should really be their bailiwick.

Bedigunz wrote: »
    I asked this in the last thread before it got locked but does anyone have a good Shepard's pie recipe?

I always follow this one, more or less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwiMEAxfCx8

easysig2.jpg
    I thought about responding but then ewwww Shepherd's Pie

DrZiplock wrote: »
    At all? I mean, I don't eat them if I have a hardboiled egg and I tend to stay away from sunny side up.

But scrambling things up is delicious as is the occasional fried or poached egg on top of something else that is delicious.

She doesn't like scrambled either! Or omelettes! As far as I can tell all she likes is fried egg whites

I love egg yolk but am not a fan at all of egg white! The texture of white is all slimy. :x I have to either scramble an egg, or eat it on toast (and hold my breath), or eat it with something with a lot of flavour (I can do deviled eggs if I stuff the whole egg in my mouth at once).

Shame that you have to break up with her. It was a good run while it lasted.

Egg white on its own is not great. But egg yolk + white is ace.

So on my fried eggs, the yolk is runny and i spread the goodness all over the egg.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Say it with me people, SPATCHCOCK.
    Step one, get that bird.
    Step 2, dry him off
    Step 3, cut out his spine, kitchen shears are good for this, or you can use a dedicated bitch knife like a man who does not value his fingers. (Save the spine for stock later)
    Step 4, flip him over, press the fuck down, some things might pop, WHO CARES?!
    Step 5 salt, pepper, season him, whatever man, smoked paprika is good, maybe you are a thyme kinda man, maybe herbs de provence like a little french fairy. Just make sure he gets a good rubdown with that and some oil, outside and inside the skin.
    Step 6 Set him down skin side up on a bed of sliced onions and carrots in a cast iron skillet
    Step 7 get your broiler screaming hot
    Step 8 Shove that bitch in, and flip it when it looks delicious
    Step 9 Flip it after the other side has got some good browning, back to skin side up
    Step 10 Roast at 450 till your thermometer says you won't die. If you let that thing read over 160, you dun fucked up.

Someone should put this to a beat.

Prolegomena on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    ugh, cooking with eggs is groooosssss (it doesn't help that I cracked an egg open when I was a kid and saw a partially developed fetus). I just started eating omelettes again like 3 years ago.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    I'm shocked that nobody mentioned soaking their chicken in a brine.

For a long time, I scoffed, until I tried it. Full convert ever since.

The key, I found, is that after you brine the chicken, you let it air dry for at least an hour, then pat the skin dry itself. Then, salt + high heat = crispy skin, delicious flesh.

Oh so delicious flesh.

If people aren't opposed to the brine, I'll post the recipe I used for basically the best roasted chicken I've ever eaten. Even the breasts had flavor.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
This discussion has been closed.