As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote:
    spring break is the week after next, but if I say a few days it makes me think it's coming sooner

and then I am less stressed proven fact

seriously when are your finals then :S

mine are the beginning of april

should be end of april/early may

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Finally was able to submit the FAFSA. Turns out my parent's estimates were way off.

I still think we did something wrong, oh well.

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Fucking done

My head hurts

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Fucking done

My head hurts

:D

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Go pour yourself a drink.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'd honestly study what interests you and give little thought to the job market.

But I am fairly averse to such forward planning.

Well see, my plan is to work as a diplomat. I feel that both history and economics will prepare me for that kind of job analytically, but economics will prepare me for a deeper analysis than history can in terms of economic situations, math, etc. I enjoy both really at the same level, and given that I'd only need 18 credit hours for a history major going first for the economics then bringing in history seems like a wiser choice.

Who knows though, when a year rolls around and I'll be transferring off to UT Austin and picking out my major maybe my mind will have changed. Hard to say really.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Also @George Fornby Grill you give me some specifics

I want (need) to know!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Today someone lost points on their essay because they ended a sentence with a preposition. I busted out webster's ask the editor and they got the points back 8-)

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Go pour yourself a drink.

for real, bud, you deserve it

lfYVHTd.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote:
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'd honestly study what interests you and give little thought to the job market.

But I am fairly averse to such forward planning.

Well see, my plan is to work as a diplomat. I feel that both history and economics will prepare me for that kind of job analytically, but economics will prepare me for a deeper analysis than history can in terms of economic situations, math, etc. I enjoy both really at the same level, and given that I'd only need 18 credit hours for a history major going first for the economics then bringing in history seems like a wiser choice.

Who knows though, when a year rolls around and I'll be transferring off to UT Austin and picking out my major maybe my mind will have changed. Hard to say really.

Oh I don't think it'll be a problem for you. It sounds like you are aligning your education with a dream.

Which is awesome.

I just hate the idea of people majoring/studying something in college primarily to get money coming out of it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Aw man I stained my hands in chem lab today

But on the bright side I found out I got 99% on a calculus test

So if you ain't the Flash, what do we call you?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    was it silver nitrate?

so many smiley faces on my hands with silver nitrate

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    spring finals are always the week of my birthday

it, how you say, "sucks dick"

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Fucking done

My head hurts

Well done, dude. Drink all of the drinks; you deserve it.

Also, I got an A- on my IP licensing (contract writing) mid-term. I thought my contract would get at least an A, but whatever, I'm not going to complain about the second fucking A I've received in 3 years.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    i'm currently taking 19 credits with 8 hours of additional reheasal a week for seperate ensembles, and I work.

no 4.0 though, 3.8

This term has been very very hard.

If you ever become a teacher make sure you constantly remind your students of that, just like every teacher I've ever had who has done something similar did. Then rant on about how they should all have As in your mandatory intro to whatever that no one cares about.

Education is one of my majors, but I don't want to be a teacher that thinks an A is the only sign of a student working their ass off

• KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    So this semester I learned that taking 18 credit hours and working 35-40 hours a week isn't so cool.

I'm basically socially neutered, as I work basically 4pm-12am Wed-Sun.

Neat.

goomyisall400.jpg

• AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    Klendy wrote: »
    So this semester I learned that taking 18 credit hours and working 35-40 hours a week isn't so cool.

I'm basically socially neutered, as I work basically 4pm-12am Wed-Sun.

Neat.

I did that my first semester. It sucks, but at least you'll have money and a good chunk of credits done.

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TheStig wrote: »
    Today someone lost points on their essay because they ended a sentence with a preposition. I busted out webster's ask the editor and they got the points back 8-)

I'm glad I haven't had any professors who care about these types of things (even when they're actually wrong or at least heavily discouraged) as long as the writing flows well enough. I start way too many sentences with "But" and "And."

Brian Krakow on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i have to take a bus for the first time and i am really nervous about it

lfYVHTd.png
    how do i get off

do i just start screaming

lfYVHTd.png
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    how do i get off

well that'll get me off at least.

zkHcp.jpg
    Sit by an emergency exit window and bail out that once you reach your destination.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    woo spring break

time to start working on my Tax outline

how do i get off

kill the bus driver
    you are the new bus driver

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    how do i get off

kill the bus driver
    you are the new bus driver

what if raneados is the bus driver

edited March 2012
    Then he deserved to die for stealing money from Hunter.

Baidol on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    yeah but then he'll end up with all his stealing superpowers

not a good trade

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    heh being nervous about riding the bus
    that takes me back

0BnD8l3.gif
    to yesterday, when there was an unhinged-looking shoeless man sitting near the front and I had to walk past him

0BnD8l3.gif
    edited March 2012
    Dichotomy wrote:
    to yesterday, when there was an unhinged-looking shoeless man sitting near the front and I had to walk past him

there's a sixty year old guy who is constantly having spasms that waits at my bus stop sometimes

sometimes he thrusts at 20 year old girls and licks his lips

sometimes he screams

unintentional on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I was on a bus today

forgot what stop I needed and got off early

if you're not careful, you will share my fate swordfights

having to walk 4 extra blocks or so

it was Sisyphean.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TheStig wrote:

Two semesters ago I had the memorable experience of arguing with a professor who docked points off of everyone's exam because she thought that when it came to measuring temperatures in Celsius, a higher number meant a colder temperature.

Lawndart on
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    originally it did!

and then for the last 250 years it didn't!

thenews.jpg
    ugh ugh

I hate submitting assignments electronically

always with the doubt

0BnD8l3.gif
    Unplug your ethernet cord and see if the assignment is stuck in it.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    TheStig wrote:

Two semesters ago I had the memorable experience of arguing with a professor who docked points off of everyone's exam because she thought that when it came to measuring temperatures in Celsius, a higher number meant a colder temperature.

How does that even happen? The preposition thing I can understand because a lot of people are taught that way..

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    for a japanese oral test the situation is i'm at a japanese party and have to get to know some girl i meet

and all i can think to do

is neg her shoes

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I was on a bus today

forgot what stop I needed and got off early

if you're not careful, you will share my fate swordfights

having to walk 4 extra blocks or so

it was Sisyphean.

When I went for my first university interview I rode the bus allll the way from the station back to the station.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dichotomy wrote: »

When I used to work in Purdue's Engineering Library, there used to an old guy who would walk around the library all day and mumble to himself. One day he started yelling at someone indiscriminately so I threw him out.

Twenty minutes later, he came back with the Dean of Students.

He was a tenured professor.

Almost lost my damn job over that.

tl;dr - Tenure drives men mad with power.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    for a japanese oral test the situation is i'm at a japanese party and have to get to know some girl i meet

and all i can think to do

is neg her shoes

You need to do this.

On a completely unrelated note, it took about half a midterm exam worth of marking for me to completely lose faith in the critical thinking abilities of undergrad students and the education system that supports these kids. WHY THE HELL IS BECOMING A PROF A LIFE GOAL OF MINE?

This discussion has been closed.