Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

1151618202199

Posts

  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If GW brought back an updated Epic and BFG line, I know I'd be dropping hundreds on armies/fleets. As would many people...I want to know, what is stopping them from making money?
    They addressed this specifically in the 25th anniversary WD article. They heard all these promises before, about Blood Bowl. So they re-released it, and LOST money. Most people that wanted the minis already had them. So they learned their lesson from Blood Bowl, and aren't going to re-release anything that you already have all the minis to play. They do not care about updating the rules set to be better, and don't kid yourself, they don't really care about the "community," they only care about selling you new minis. The only way they would re-release something, like everyone has already said, is if they did it like Space Hulk or Dreadfleet. But honestly? Mordhiem, Epic, and BFG just don't lend themselves to that type of treatment.

    PS if you remember me mentioning the massive BFG update that was supposed to come out a year ago, GW finally got back to the specialist games community that had a finished update all done and said: "No. We have no interest in your updated rules set. Good day."

  • SJSJ Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    Bring back fucking Epic and BFG you sons of bitches

    Amen brother.

    WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN

  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    If GW brought back an updated Epic and BFG line, I know I'd be dropping hundreds on armies/fleets. As would many people...I want to know, what is stopping them from making money?
    They addressed this specifically in the 25th anniversary WD article. They heard all these promises before, about Blood Bowl. So they re-released it, and LOST money. Most people that wanted the minis already had them. So they learned their lesson from Blood Bowl, and aren't going to re-release anything that you already have all the minis to play. They do not care about updating the rules set to be better, and don't kid yourself, they don't really care about the "community," they only care about selling you new minis. The only way they would re-release something, like everyone has already said, is if they did it like Space Hulk or Dreadfleet. But honestly? Mordhiem, Epic, and BFG just don't lend themselves to that type of treatment.

    PS if you remember me mentioning the massive BFG update that was supposed to come out a year ago, GW finally got back to the specialist games community that had a finished update all done and said: "No. We have no interest in your updated rules set. Good day."

    Why you gotta do this. Why you gotta come in here, wrecking up my hopes. You're like some kind of dream crushing bull in my china shop full of hope and optimism.

  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    They addressed this specifically in the 25th anniversary WD article. They heard all these promises before, about Blood Bowl. So they re-released it, and LOST money. Most people that wanted the minis already had them.

    The beauty of giving Epic this treatment is the models everyone has are old and ugly.

    However, I'd prefer to see Epic reimagined as a 15mm game. You'd have models in a scale where it's possible to actually do painting on, and small enough that huge scale games can be played on a regular 6x4 board.

  • SJSJ Registered User regular
    No, fuck that. I want orbiting battle stations, aerospace engagements and full drop pod/thunderhawk marine insertions, and that shit isn't gonna happen at 15mm.

  • McGibsMcGibs Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Selling new rulesets would work if they treated them as selling new books, instead of selling new minis. I'd love to have more alternate rulesets to play with my minis. And not wierd, poorly blanced 'expansions' for 40k, like planetstrike. Shit like mordhiem.

    McGibs on
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    No, fuck that. I want orbiting battle stations, aerospace engagements and full drop pod/thunderhawk marine insertions, and that shit isn't gonna happen at 15mm.

    I think I really want to play Epic.

  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    SJ wrote: »
    Bring back fucking Epic and BFG you sons of bitches

    Amen brother.

    WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN

    COME BACK TO ME

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was working on my assembling my guys back on Sunday, and I had a startling realization. I've actually finished putting together all of my boxes and boxes of troops. I am precariously close to the point where I'll have to paint for the first time since several years ago, which is when I FIRST PAINTED A MODEL.

    (For reference. I weep for the near future.)
    Spoiler:

    EDIT: Then again, I may just buy a squad+vehicle pack and forestall the inevitable.

    FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    saluksic wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Nax wrote: »
    Bring back 6 man las-plas

    5 man. Current BT codex. Only real redeemable quality of that army right now (besides the occasional shut out you can dish out with some good playing).

    BT so OP right now, man

    Yeah, BT are stupid right now. Machine Spirit on Vindicators makes them better than BA Vindicators, and BA Vindicators are OP.

    That also makes it quite expensive in the points area. Don't get me wrong, I still run it (and it is OP if it can start shooting and not get popped right away), but it is a pretty sizable point suck. I mean...+30 points to a vindicator is only 20 points away from running another one of BT's absurdly OP Tornado Speeder. It's really cool, but it's still a vindicator, and still a huge target. That PotMS does not stop it from exploding super fast.

    If we're going to talk about BT being OP, I vote for their Ven Dreads. For 143 points (BTW, a PotMS Vindicator is 158 points) you get an assault cannon dread, with venerable, preferred enemy on the CCW, and tank hunter. It's a fucking joke to see that thing troll face his way through a mechanized army. Drop pod in and just start wrecking shit.

    In fact, if I ever make a second dread for my BT army, I am actually going to model an optional "Troll Face" head for him. Last game I played (2 months ago, been focusing on painting and Orks), my Ven dread killed 3 Rhino's, a land raider, and a rifleman dread...all before he took any real damage. I run him with Extra Armor and Smoke, so I can venerable the damaging hits, and hopefully shrug them off with extra armor. It's 5 points that usually pays for itself.

    Black Templar sound awesome. How are their terminators? They are not getting a rules update soon, correct?

    There was a bunch of rumor stuff that BT was getting update soon, but that sort of fell off the radar. So...the codex is done, but it's been :GW:'d

    IIRC, the models are done, and have been for about 18 months. Whether the book is done or not, I haven't heard much. But it seems Black Templars were pushed back by Dark Angels and Chaos.

    Which still means it was :GW:'d. If you have a finished product, sell me that product before it's made obsolete because you made game changes but didn't change the codex because "eh, it's already done".

    I have no doubts that will/would happen.

    Alternatively, the rumours were not correct and the BT were not being worked on at all?

    Annnnnyway. Epic and BFG were both awesome and great fun, but that scale doesn't have the same visual kick as 40k, so it's a tougher sell to people who are in it for the "wow, cool" factor (which is the majority)

  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Ghostbuster Hook & Ladder 8Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    SJ wrote: »
    Bring back fucking Epic and BFG you sons of bitches

    Amen brother.

    WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN

    COME BACK TO ME

    Still student teaching. :( I'm graduating soon though :P

    3a6d8230-e44a-450d-989b-b8c17c4043da_zpsf1979ceb.jpg
    (3DS Friend Code) 5472-6198-4568 (PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork
  • mugginnsmugginns Registered User regular
    You can't use the internets if you student teach?

    E26cO.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    The trouble is that "student teaching" means "be a student and a teacher in parallel, with no allowance for schedule conflicts" or "you have no free time, ever" but at least it's better than being a junior doctor, in which case you have negative free time and spend the first three years of your actual career catching up on the sleep you missed while you were working three full-time jobs and paying for the privilege.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    skarsol wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    And what's up with the troop+transport packages? Are they being sold anywhere, because they're not on the GW site. *grumble, grumble, GW sales strategy, grumble*
    As an update on this, the store I got my bundles from is saying the Chaos bundle is already sold out at GW.
    Wasn't it an indie store only deal? From what I read, these weren't going to GW stores.
    Those indie stores have to get the boxes from somewhere.

    why are you smelling it?
  • mugginnsmugginns Registered User regular
    Ah yeah

    I worked full time at my internship in my senior year of college, wasn't the easiest but I made it

    E26cO.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 Od's blood Sailing a longshipRegistered User regular
    Now you've gone to far the other direction. You have 10 melta/multi-melta's in your army. That's way over kill for a marine army. Especially since they also have power fists.

    Things I would change if I were making this list:

    Drop the stupid searchlight from the dread.
    Buy the dread a drop pod (your entire army is moving at light speed, except that dude. Even the predators have the ability to move quickly if they need to.) so he doesn't just trundle up the field and die since he's unsupported.
    Pick one of your bike squads, switch it over from ALL MELTA ALL THE TIME to 2x plasma and a heavy bolter. Leave the power fist because that still gives the squad the fail-safe ability to rip open a tank if needed.
    Pick one of your attack bike squads and switch it over to 2x heavy bolters. These bikes will be really good at shredding infantry.

    I'd also make both predators TWL-Lascannons with Heavy Bolter sponsons, simply because I like them in that set up. I've rarely been able to fire everything on a predator, so moving 6" every turn and having some flexibility is pretty rad.

    First, I didn't add a searchlight to the dread. I don't know what you're talking about.

    Second, I kept getting told I didn't have enough anti-tank. And that my preds should be in one position, not moving, and firing all the time.

    Third, I was also told I was "naive" for wanting a flexible list that could have anti-troop and anti-tank.

    Geez. I'm about to do what I want and stop listening to you guys.

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    Geez. I'm about to do what I want and stop listening to you guys.

    Smartest thing I've heard.

    Trying to build the perfect list is the road to insanity. Also stomach ulcers.

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean
    Dr_Keenbean42.png
  • valhalla130valhalla130 Od's blood Sailing a longshipRegistered User regular
    Geez. I'm about to do what I want and stop listening to you guys.

    Smartest thing I've heard.

    Trying to build the perfect list is the road to insanity. Also stomach ulcers.

    That certainly seems to be the feeling here. I'm changing my list back to the autocannon/HB setup and trying to work that sniper squad back in.

  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    First, I didn't add a searchlight to the dread. I don't know what you're talking about.

    Second, I kept getting told I didn't have enough anti-tank. And that my preds should be in one position, not moving, and firing all the time.

    Third, I was also told I was "naive" for wanting a flexible list that could have anti-troop and anti-tank.

    Geez. I'm about to do what I want and stop listening to you guys.

    I don't think you have too much anti-tank. Especially considering melta is great against Terminators, Paladins, Chacters, MC, and vehicles.

    I think your list is actually really good. The only thing I'd consider is fitting in a few flamers someplace in the off chance you fight horde orks/tyranids. Then again, bikes are pretty good at dealing with infantry anyways.

    The only thing I've seen a bike player use that was unusual to me was 4 plasma cannon devastators, and he said he took them for when he popped transports and fought deathstars.

    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    Buy my 40k shit.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    If I ever run a predator I want to go autocannon/HB because all the dice.

    I'm not ashamed to admit my fondness for heavy bolters. They're easily my favorite-looking heavy weapon.

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean
    Dr_Keenbean42.png
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    Valhalla we've been waiting for you to do what you want since you started. That's the idea behind the whole hobby.
    Worst comes to worst you drop $50 to patch up the area you find your list lacking after some trial play. Constantly throwing yourself out there for a constant source of corrections just ain't fun.

    sig-1.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Geez. I'm about to do what I want and stop listening to you guys.

    It would be nice to think this was some kind of Mr Miyagi style setup all along and that all the other contributers to your list in its various forms now wink back at you with a knowing smile.

    Jam Warrior on
    TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Geez. I'm about to do what I want and stop listening to you guys.

    Our job here is done. :P

    why are you smelling it?
  • NaxNax Registered User regular
    Your list needs more priests

    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Nax wrote:
    Your list needs more priests

    Like the movie Priest?

    Because that shit was bad and I only saw the trailers.

    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    Buy my 40k shit.
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Valhalla,

    I'm going to do the right thing here and just invoke the internet dickwad theory on myself and get a little harsh:

    You need to play the fucking game. You cannot get mad at what we're saying. When I post a list, or nax posts a list or anyone else here, we've played and played these armies to death. We want input from other people that we can use and that might cause us to think differently about something. We're in a box, because we've been playing this game and we need someone else to punch us in the face and be like "Psyker battle squads are fucking good and you should use them moron!" or "hey, maybe you should stop putting all your apples into a landraider deathstar and build a balanced list moron".

    I can't help but get annoyed at you when you have played 2 games, then post 30 fucking lists and then get angry when we start to go into those lists.

    You can really do this 2 ways: You can play whatever the fuck you want and be happy with it. That is awesome and probably better than what most people do. OR you can do way B which is: I want to win this game, where are the weaknesses in my list. I have played it and i lose to X but I can't figure out how to tweak it to find Y what the fuck.

    Frankly I probably need to put you on ignore because you're trying to do A and B and you're not playing the game. You just need to play. Take a list that you made and play it. I don't give one shit that it has 20 meltas. I don't care if you put a searchlight on your dread. Because if you came back and was like "this list was fun but I had trouble dealing with assault" then we might be like, well your problem is you're too AT and you need balance.

    But you don't. You make lists. You don't play the game. Sorry dude, I love this hobby and I love people talking about it but you need to play the game and just do it. Nike style. Go in with a fucking retarded list and die over and over again. When I first started my lists looked something made by rainman. But I played them and I learned that no, it's not a good idea to take a 3 man squad of wolf guard with jump packs.

    So you need to pick a style of play and go with it. I don't really know what else to say dude. Sorry. Don't get angry at us for telling you what you're doing wrong when you haven't even played the game to know what right is.

    Why did I spend all this time typing this I don't know. Your excitement for the hobby is clear, but just go somewhere with it. You can't play 40k on a message board.

    My Flickr. My Fruitfucker computer and my Annarchy computer. See my PAX 2006/07/08 Flickr sets

    "Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it... Oh my God, it even has a watermark."
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    altmann wrote: »
    Frankly I probably need to put you on ignore

    Good news! We have no ignore function!

  • NaxNax Registered User regular
    @Traceoftoxin: Sure


    @altmann: Amen

    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Third, I was also told I was "naive" for wanting a flexible list that could have anti-troop and anti-tank.

    I believe we said that concerning a single squad. 1 squad should do 1 thing (anti-troop/anti-tank), than anther squad does the other. A list can be flexible, a squad should have a purpose.

  • DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, for the length of time I had been creeping this thread and not posting I learned a lot. But it was nothing compared to finally sitting down and playing a few games with people. And even still, months later, I know shit all about 40k tactics, and I'm constantly being introduced to rules that I had managed to overlook.

    All the threads in the world wont save you; I brought a solid Grey Knights list that the internet would be proud of and placed terribly in our recent tournament. Just play, you will honestly drive yourself crazy trying to build a perfect army, and that perfect list might be boring as hell (I'm looking at you, Crowe).

  • NaxNax Registered User regular
    Every single list I have ever taken with my Blood Angels has had the exact same weakness: Not enough anti-tank. For awhile I was worried about it. I tried to adjust my lists to compensate... but, I hated those lists. In the end, I would revert back to the style I liked to play, and I just learned and figured out ways to deal with tanks within my style of play. I do just fine, though tt helps that I can blow up a land raider with an assault cannon 97% of the time :)

    On the flip side, there are BA units that the internet will tell you that are the best in the game, and you should never have a list without as many priests as you can fit in it. I hate priests and I only ever use them in thematic jump lists. My standard mech mobility lists don't have a single priest in them, and I don't miss them at all.

    Moral of the story: What works for everyone else, often won't work for you. Figure out what you like, how you like, and you will learn so much more about the game and your personal style

    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    The two biggest things I learned in my first two games:

    1. If there are objectives, don't get so excited about killing things that your forget them.
    2. Don't be afraid to ask your opponent what a model they are using is and more importantly what it can do.

    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    More melta bombs
    take nothing but guys with bolters and melta bombs
    Spoiler:

  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yea, you can definitely have a flexible army... in fact it's what you need to have to win consistently!

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Registered User regular
    I can't believe that nobody is discussing whether or not Rainman would have been good at Warhammer.

  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I can't believe that nobody is discussing whether or not Rainman would have been good at Warhammer.

    I thought he only shopped at K-mart.

    Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    altmann wrote:
    But I played them and I learned that no, it's not a good idea to take a 3 man squad of wolf guard with jump packs.

    Holy fuck that's a great idea why didn't I think of that.

    Seriously though, I agree with everything you said.
    Third, I was also told I was "naive" for wanting a flexible list that could have anti-troop and anti-tank.

    I believe we said that concerning a single squad. 1 squad should do 1 thing (anti-troop/anti-tank), than anther squad does the other. A list can be flexible, a squad should have a purpose.

    I'm pretty sure we also said a flexible list is a good thing to have. I definitely have gone into the difference between 'strong' and 'flexible' lists several times as well, praising the merits of both and doing my best to make the weaknesses known.
    Nax wrote:
    Moral of the story: What works for everyone else, often won't work for you. Figure out what you like, how you like, and you will learn so much more about the game and your personal style

    This. Nax and I disagree on Predator loadouts and scout squads. We both have numerous games of evidence to back up our decisions. In the end, he just makes his work his way and I make mine work my way. There's always a statistically best way, but that's only really useful when trying to judge something in a vacuum or comparing two things at a specific facet of a task - I.E. comparing how much damage two different assault units can do to the Paladin unit your best friend keeps kicking your ass with.
    Yea, you can definitely have a flexible army... in fact it's what you need to have to win consistently!

    Look at all the tournament winners who didn't have 'strong' lists!
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I can't believe that nobody is discussing whether or not Rainman would have been good at Warhammer.

    SJ plays and he's pretty average.

    TraceofToxin on
    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    Buy my 40k shit.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I remember my first game. A couple Tau crisis suits, some fire warriors, a devilfish, and some gun drones. By the time I played my last game as Tau, I was running three XV8s, two broadsides, a hammerhead, two kroot squads, one fire warrior squad, and two pathfinder squads with rail rifles. This evolution came from three things:

    1) Learning the rules better through playing.
    2) Responding to how my friend ran his blood angels.
    3) Soliciting advice from this thread.
    Bonus) Ignoring some of that advice because I either didn't like it or didn't have the models for it.

    By the end I figured out that I needed lots of high AP shots to punch through space marines saves and feel no pain, kroot to keep his assault marines occupied so that I could take out his heavier units, and fire warriors for objective capping. In a straight up kill points fight I would still probably lose because Tau kind of suck, but I had enough mobility and lockdown ability to win an objective game as long as I deployed right.

    Anyway, now I've moved on to building my own army with models that I actually own. I chose Dark Angels because I've always liked them, and I chose a Deathwing/Ravenwing army because I think terminators and bikes are rad, and they work pretty well together for DA.

    So, yeah. I don't know what my point was. I like warhams?

  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys, Codex Space Marine Dreadnoughts come with Searchlights for free.

    @valhalla130 I think the last list you posted was great, I would run that list. For my local meta-game that list would do well. I say you take that list and go try it out. I think that the general criticisms that got you to this list were mostly universal: ever since the change to rapid fire weapons, shotgun scouts are worthless; You really want to make sure that a single squad does one thing really well, with maybe one backup like meltabombs or a power fist(not both); In general you should strive for max size squads because there is a lot of versatility offered by combat squads and survivability if you keep the squad big. AND as you pointed out Tac Squads really don't work well unless they are 10 man.

    Just to explain a specific criticism of the list: a power fist is almost always better than meltabombs, because you get at least 3 hits with a PF on the charge, with meltabombs you get 1. Always 1. In addition the power fist also gives you the ability to assault non vehicle units effectively. The only time a meltabomb is better is if you are assaulting a stationary vehicle. IMO only take meltabombs if you don't have the points for a power fist.

    The problem with getting super specific advice on what to do with the last 150 points or so is that everyone is giving you advice for their own local meta-game. We cannot know how well it will work where you play because we don't know all of the other lists where you play. If you local meta-game is just for funsies then this might be a terrible list that doesn't have enough shots to deal with say, an all-foot ork list. There is someone in this thread that is taking what many of us think is a terrible list, and kicking ass in his local area. So, you really need to play the list and get some feedback on how it works where you play.

    Edit: just to be clear I am suggesting you take the list with max size bike squads and autocannon/HB preds.

    ElderCat on
This discussion has been closed.