As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]GuildWarLands 2: 96.5% more wuvwuv PRE-ORDER DETAILS IN OP OMGYES!

• RendRend Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Your name is Chair.

Son of Air Conditioner, Lord of Lava Lamp.

I will be High Engineer Portable Coffee Mug, from Southern Sticky Note

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Chair sounds like a stiff.

I like the idea of the Duke of Hyundai, though.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Baron Best Buy.

488W936.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Marquess Marker, rather

naengwen on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Rolodex the pedant and mostly wrong.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    I have it.

Now to think up of 7 others.

I have it.

Now to think up of 7 others.

you mean 5.

You have Baron von Dinosaur, Prince Wolfhead, and Rex Ready all in there. You're set!

edited March 2012
    I was actually planning on making 10 characters. In no way, shape or form did I forget about the good Baron and Prince.

TolerantZero on
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Have they said how many character slots we get?

Not enough.
    Nothing final so far.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    What kind of masks would you expect from a mesmer? The smiley and sad ones are the kind of that I was expecting from the gates. I think the demon one is kinda stupid. What does a mesmer have to do with demons? Wow, opinions right?
    The mesmer is all about getting into your opponent's head on the battlefield, and the "demon head" is the oldest method of that in the book. You'd find it everywhere from on the kabuto of samurai (yokai) to the shields of the spartans (gorgon).

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The mesmer is theatrical, ergo the smiley/frowney face. Anybody can do that.

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I will say this:

If we can apply the Art of War or, even better, the Thirty-Six Stratagems at all during WvW, then that will be the most epic thing ever. I hope the game's flexible enough to allow for that.

EDIT: Also, it's not "the smiley/frowny face". D: That makes me die a little inside, guys. The masks are comedy/tragedy. That reminds me: I need to make a mesmer named "Sock Buskin" and it will be the best mesmer.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    Caedere wrote: »
    I will say this:

If we can apply the Art of War or, even better, the Thirty-Six Stratagems at all during WvW, then that will be the most epic thing ever. I hope the game's flexible enough to allow for that.

The Art Of War can be applied to, literally, almost anything. If we can't apply it to guild wars, I'll be incredibly surprised.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    You are applying the Art of War every time some one bitches that you rolled them when they were outnumbered, unready, or under-leveled.

1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Wow, the boards posted without me actually hitting Post Reply. That's... weird.

Anyway, I want to apply it in real, non-metaphorical sense. Everyone tries to shoehorn that shit; I want to use it to win. Battles. In PVP.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Guys a bunch of Elementalists just used their elite through my state :( ...

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Arthil wrote: »

You guys okay down there?

Unless there was more than one region suffering elementalist attack today, I have a (non forum) friend out there. Is it bad?

Rend wrote: »

Unless there was more than one region suffering elementalist attack today, I have a (non forum) friend out there. Is it bad?

Here in Louisville we were fine, just rough winds. Henryville, IN got slammed though. One confirmed death.

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular

Anyway, I want to apply it in real, non-metaphorical sense. Everyone tries to shoehorn that shit; I want to use it to win. Battles. In PVP.
    Art of War is written primarily in metaphors... those people aren't shoehorning, you're the one who's being way too specific and inflexible.

Which is probably not something you'd find recommended in Art of War, funnily enough.

World's best janitor
    Art of War is always being showed off in PvP, as in what you want your enemy to do where most people just throw themselves into a blender thinking if they just keep trying they'll eventually succeed.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The Art of War is largely common sense nowadays. Stuff like don't take too long fighting and be unpredictable and take your enemy by surprise. The ability to utilize it in a game isn't that far fetched so if you could use it in GW2 it wouldn't be that surprising.

The awesome thing about the Art of War is that, by finding Sun Tzu's definitions in terms of your situation (ie, find one or more examples of contested ground, find one or more examples of difficult ground), you can apply everything extremely easily.

And then a lot of the lessons just apply everywhere, in everything. One of my favorite quotes is actually from the Art of War, the one which, paraphrased, basically goes: "It is not your job to defeat your opponent, but to make yourself undefeatable."

So basically you're saying we should find a 20-foot wide pass with a 60+ foot cliff face on one side and pull a Spartan on our enemies?

While you were all talking about the Art of War, you ignored the Thirty-Six Stratagems.

Which is exactly what it would have wanted. 8-)

FWnykYl.jpg
    So basically you're saying we should find a 20-foot wide pass with a 60+ foot cliff face on one side and pull a Spartan on our enemies?

Then we will fight in the shade-form...!

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

Here in Louisville we were fine, just rough winds. Henryville, IN got slammed though. One confirmed death.

I actually grew up in Henryville, IN. My old high school got demolished by that tornado. I live about 20 miles south now near Louisville, and we haven't had anything but hard rain here, thankfully.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Not difficult. Happened all the time in DAoC

fuck gendered marketing
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I will say this:

If we can apply the Art of War or, even better, the Thirty-Six Stratagems at all during WvW, then that will be the most epic thing ever. I hope the game's flexible enough to allow for that

After a quick search on the googles and a few minutes of reading, I can with almost certainty, that WvW will support your thirty-six strategeries. The fact that people WEREN'T doing this during the press beta was one of the most maddening things to me. I mean, all of the video we've seen from that even has come from the point-of-view of the Red Team, which was more-or-less doing everything wrong strategically.

I'm told (but cannot confirm) that someone told them why they were sucking so badly and they managed to pull out of their self-inflicted tailspin before the end of the weekend. I'm pretty sure they did not manage to completely dig themselves out of the grave that they had prepared for themselves though.

Stupid on

26904.png
    Stupid wrote: »
    I will say this:

If we can apply the Art of War or, even better, the Thirty-Six Stratagems at all during WvW, then that will be the most epic thing ever. I hope the game's flexible enough to allow for that

After a quick search on the googles and a few minutes of reading, I can with almost certainty, that WvW will support your thirty-six strategeries. The fact that people WEREN'T doing this during the press beta was one of the most maddening things to me. I mean, all of the video we've seen from that even has come from the point-of-view of the Red Team, which was more-or-less doing everything wrong strategically.

I'm told (but cannot confirm) that someone told them why they were sucking so badly and they managed to pull out of their self-inflicted tailspin before the end of the weekend. I'm pretty sure they did not manage to completely dig themselves out of the grave that they had prepared for themselves though.

A Stratagem is not a strategy.

• MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Based on wikipedia, it seems like the 36 stratagems are vague metaphors of common sense that can be applied to basically anything.

edit:
    "If something must be destroyed, destroy the source." That's about on-par with "Go to the hoop with strength".

"The honey trap" = "Roll a female character"

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
    edited March 2012
    Meister, I have to thank you. In the last GW2 thread, you proved to me that that opinions can indeed be wrong. ;-)

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Meister, I have to thank you. In the last GW2 thread, you proved to me that that opinions can indeed be wrong. ;-)

Pardon? Which of my opinions are you referring to?

Meister on
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    Meister wrote: »
    Based on wikipedia, it seems like the 36 stratagems are vague metaphors of common sense that can be applied to basically anything.

edit:
    "If something must be destroyed, destroy the source." That's about on-par with "Go to the hoop with strength".

"Borrow a corpse to resurrect the soul"= "Necros prefer to take some of these literally."

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I will say this:

A Stratagem is not a strategy.

A strategery is not either. I'm pretty sure it isn't even a real word.

26904.png
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    So glad that luna site updated. Now I can make builds for days and get sad that I can't try them out yet :lol: . Now that we know what all the kits and elixirs do, I think engineer has made itself my first choice. You can throw elixirs that explode! Also this: gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3ek6g0dqe1ngnihf0000uuaakalaravb4b6bf

Zellpher wrote: »
    Meister wrote: »

edit:

"Borrow a corpse to resurrect the soul"= "Necros prefer to take some of these literally."

"Take the opportunity to pilfer a goat" = "Kill those dolyaks"

"Point at the mulberry tree while cursing the locust tree" = "Insult your opponent's mother"

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    So glad that luna site updated. Now I can make builds for days and get sad that I can't try them out yet :lol: . Now that we know what all the kits and elixirs do, I think engineer has made itself my first choice. You can throw elixirs that explode! Also this: gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3ek6g0dqe1ngnihf0000uuaakalaravb4b6bf

They're like FFT chemists!

So awesome

fuck gendered marketing
    Oh sweet jesus they're doing the dungeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG3tEl9FF9s

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "and a lady called Derpasaurus Rex" :v:

Quintessin on
This discussion has been closed.