As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Official I Hate [Final Fantasy] Thread: Dead like FF XIV's userbase. New thread.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Houn wrote: »
    You don't actually start out with three for each character. When they are first introduced, I believe Lightning has 2, Snow has 3, Vanille has 2, Sahz has 1, and Hope has 1. Not long after, they throw on some SYN/SAB roles to a few characters, though, so you can see my confusion about what defines a "main". Is it only the ones they started with, or does it include the ones I just got?

Each character has three main roles and three secondary roles. The three main roles are the three each character is first introduced to, so yes, those newly unlocked SYN/SAB roles are main roles.

I believe you don't unlock secondary roles until Chapter 10, so it'll be pretty clear by then what their three main roles are. Like others have said though, the secondary roles give you really crappy bonuses for high amounts of CP so for the main game, I would just focus on primary roles.

House of Paincakes on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fang: Com/Sab/Sen
    Hope: Rav/Syn/Med
    Vanille: Rav/Sab/Med
    Sazh: Com/Rav/Syn
    Light: Com/Rav/Med
    Snow: Com/Rav/Sen

Basically don't put any points into trees other than these until they're maxed, then don't bother putting any points into any of the others apart from to get Com, Rav and Sen to Rank 1 :P

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Here is a picture of my Gunblades. I just had the second one painted recently. Thought you guys might enjoy.

104lnw8.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    How did you make them?

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular

I just hope they don't stick with that Thetrhythm style. Having several tiles of those ._. faces would be nightmare inducing.

That's funny. I would way prefer an srpg with that style over dissidia.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I'm a huge fan of the tactics sprites, especially the playstation ones.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that they should have one DLC battle that just shows up as "???". You go into the pre-battle cutscene wondering who you're going to face...

...and then One Winged Angel starts playing and you think back to the exact same situation in the first Kingdom Hearts game.

Yep, you're screwed.

Only trouble with that is how overpowered Heartless Angel would be, since in all likelyhood it wouldn't be blockable by SEN/SEN/SEN. I guess with some warning they could make it so you're able to switch to any paradigm with enough MED to survive the aftermath.

Except every gaming site and forum poster would ruin the surprise in big, bolded letters that is stickied to the top. With a neon glow border.

It's very hard to keep secrets in videogames a secret in this day and age.

Anyway, there's a rumor that the next FF crossover is going to be a SRPG for the Vita. Grains of salt here, but I have been expressing how much I would like the next Dissidia-style game to be an RPG, so this would fit perfectly.

I just hope they don't stick with that Thetrhythm style. Having several tiles of those ._. faces would be nightmare inducing.

I'm going to start a world exclusive I Hate [Final Fantasy] (Insert Number) thread rumor about the series that is exactly as credible.

The next FF game is going to be...An AR dating sim on the 3DS, with the big selling feature being online Triple Triad.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Question regarding the post-ending. Not looking for specific spoilers.

Can I skip the credits? Or do I need to sit through them to the end for another scene? I'm talking specifically about the base ending, although I guess the question applies to the 160 shards ending as well. Please no spoilers tho. Just looking to find out if I can skip 10 minutes of japanese names.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Question regarding the post-ending. Not looking for specific spoilers.

Can I skip the credits? Or do I need to sit through them to the end for another scene? I'm talking specifically about the base ending, although I guess the question applies to the 160 shards ending as well. Please no spoilers tho. Just looking to find out if I can skip 10 minutes of japanese names.

You can skip the credits.

• ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    How did you make them?

I bought them from some liquidation store. They are wood and were $8 each.

Had a friend paint them.

steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    FF13.

So far, I'm in chapter 4 or 5, and I'm liking the story. All of the characters are believable enough (Hope whines a bit much, but he's getting better), and Vanille's accent is atrocious, but otherwise, I'm enjoying it.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You seen much of Sazh yet? I think he's got the most interesting story in FFXIII, and I remember thinking he was criminally underused compared to Hope.

Also Vanille gets a whole lot better later on in the game, story wise. I think her accent even improves!

FFXIII-2 SPOILERS;
    Man. That ending was quite something. Noel has some terrible timing on his reassurances though - "I'm sure Lightning's fine, death doesn't exist in Valhalla" followed by a close up of Caius' dead body.

Oh brilliant
    Nah, Sazh is a pimp. Straight up representing for the Danny Glover school of adventuring.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    You seen much of Sazh yet? I think he's got the most interesting story in FFXIII, and I remember thinking he was criminally underused compared to Hope.
    Ironic, since Sazh has the most lines in the game.

Sadly, 90% of them are ridiculously unfunny "jokes" and him going "I'm too old for all this crazy shit you crazy kids are crazily doing because you're crazy."

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Anyone grab the Sazh DLC yet? Any good?

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Anyone grab the Sazh DLC yet? Any good?

It is covered pretty extensively in the last few pages.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

Sadly, 90% of them are ridiculously unfunny "jokes" and him going "I'm too old for all this crazy shit you crazy kids are crazily doing because you're crazy."

He's the only one I cared at all about! :P
    Possibly dead son makes for more justifiable drama than "you didn't risk your life trying to save my mom hard enough"

And that scene after he got his Eidolon was pretty shocking.

Plus him being older than everyone else makes him seem less angsty. He's got a good reason to be mopey, but keeps on telling stupid jokes instead.

Oh brilliant
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

He's the only one I cared at all about! :P
    Possibly dead son makes for more justifiable drama than "you didn't risk your life trying to save my mom hard enough"

And that scene after he got his Eidolon was pretty shocking.

Plus him being older than everyone else makes him seem less angsty. He's got a good reason to be mopey, but keeps on telling stupid jokes instead.

That bit was pretty great thematically, but they fucked the entire thing right up.
    My son just turned to crystal, and I'm about to kill the person who did it to him.
    Woo! I'm driving a hot rod! This is awesome!
    Oh wait, back to super serious moment. That's it, I'm going to kill myself.
    *bang*
    Me: Oh please, I know full well you're not going to actually go through with it.
    One chapter later... yup, he's alive and didn't do it.

The whole thing was just completely mishandled and robbed of any serious emotion they were trying to go for.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Sazh wasn't my least favorite character, but he was definitely the character I cared the least about, if that makes any sense. And I had the same reaction to that spoiler as Wolfman.

camo_sig2.png

Yeah, I also thought that part wasn't handled well.
    It seems like the better route would have been to have him put the gun to his head, start to pull the trigger, and then have his brand freak out and have Brynhilder come. The eidolons are supposed to appear at a l'cie's "weakest moment," right? Clearly he is at his weakest when he has the gun to his head, but that happens after you fight the eidolon.

That, and like you said WOOO HOT RODDING just seemed especially silly given everything that's happening in that moment.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Haha, it's so much fun to go back and watch the FFXIII trailers knowing what the game is like now. So much misdirection!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shen wrote: »
    Haha, it's so much fun to go back and watch the FFXIII trailers knowing what the game is like now. So much misdirection!

When the game first started getting in gamer's hands in Japan, 2ch basically went "Holy shit this is BAD." I tried to warn everyone over here about the gamer reviews coming out. Got told off for my troubles, if I recall correctly, heh.

But hey, the reviews for it were coming up aces, so obviously it was just a bunch of pissed off 2channers, right?

KiTA on
    Yeah, now that I've finally played it, I'm surprised the game reviewers didn't bash it a little more. Reading those quick blurbs on metacritic makes it sound like a lot of them appreciated the streamlined nature of the game. Obviously those are not regular RPG players.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the biggest surprise to me about the 13 reactions was that apparently lots of people liked wandering around towns full of developmentally damaged NPCs

which isn't to say that 13 does a great job of worldbuilding necessarily, but most of the elements it removed were never anything but semi-mindless padding

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • blakeblake Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    After playing Lost Odyssey, with all its towns' sidequests, I was kind of sad about FF13's lack of them because a town usually meant there would be a breather in the pacing of the story. You get to just sit back and talk to said developmentally damaged NPCs, do vendoring, pick up a quest, and have a brief emotional respite from the world falling apart/villain ruining peoples' lives. In this sense, I guess the decision to make FFXIII like it is worked the way it was supposed to, by constantly keeping me seated in the plot, not letting any of the emotional punch of story beats (which feed back into appreciation of the story) fade away, and not coming out of a town and being like "Wait, I forgot there's a lot of shit going on in this story. What's going on again?" and potentially not finishing it.

That said, I'm enjoying FFXIII-2's towns. Many NPC's are pretty one dimensional, but at least they each have like 4 different lines that will inform you of their individual motivations, current events, tension, or whatever. The fragment NPC's are believable and make the quests fun. These description are all relative to standard JRPG NPC's though.

blake on
    What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
    edited March 2012
    Not having any towns made the game feel very empty to me. The brief time at Nautilus with Vanille and Sazh was kind of neat in that it broke up the pacing, but that was over quick.

Also, having an overworld and towns gives somewhat of an illusion of choice even if there is no real choice in the grand scheme of things, i.e. I know I'm supposed to go to this cave to the east, but there's all this land to the west...let's go see what's over there! There's some mystery there. It's also nice to come to a new town and get a little excited to see what kind of new weapons and armor they have, instead of getting a message after a boss fight that says, "New items in stock at XXXXX!" or "New store available!" a la FF13.

However, that said I really would not have minded at all that FF13 was so streamlined if the story, characters, and gameplay pacing were better. I thought FF10 felt pretty streamlined as well, but it didn't bother me in that game.

My three biggest complaints with 13 actually have nothing to do with the fact there are no towns:

-You only play with two characters in your party for almost half the game when it is 10x more fun to have a full party of three.
    -You don't really get to appreciate the battle system until 3/4 of the way through because of how slow they introduce things to you.
    -Half of the game is you just running away from the authorities with no real purpose or goal in sight. The story just kind of stops and you're just running, running, running...yeah, there's some character development going on during this part but it's not nearly interesting enough to make up for it. When I got to the part where you board the airship to save Vanille and Sazh, I was SO much more pumped up because now there was an actual purpose and goal. Unfortunately after that, it's more running around without much direction. There's some vague ideas being thrown around about saving Cocoon but there's no real plan.

That last point is my biggest complaint. The game party just runs around with little to no direction. Who knows, maybe this is analogous to the what the development team went through while making the game.

I still enjoyed FF13 despite what I've said, but now that I'm playing through FF9 a lot of this stuff becomes much more apparent.

House of Paincakes on
    edited March 2012
    Oh god, the sequel hook is right there in our faces and we missed it.
    From FF13-1:

X. The Menace Beyond
    Obtain: Clear Mission 56: A Toothy Grin
    They say the fal'Cie made the Arks in preparation for battle against the menace that lurks beyond. Where is this "beyond" of which they speak? Do they mean Cocoon, and the demons that dwells within? If so, they are mistaken. The legends of the Arks date far before that sphere was even crafted; whispers even hint at Arks displaced around the time of Cocoon's creation, spirited away to be hidden in its shell.
    What, then, is the "menace"? What distant threat confronts us, and to what purpose? The gods vanished from this place. Are they now residents of the "beyond"?

-- On the Nature of Fal'Cie

From FF13-2:

Mirror of Atropos - The Book of Haerii

The is the prophecy as told by Atropos,
    messenger of the heavens.

The Thirteenth Ark is the fortress that
    protects the heavenly vault. When the heroes
    gather unto mighty Pulse to do battle in the
    war that must be fought, this shall be the
    stronghold. Know now and remember that
    the Ark shall by the salvation of all Pulse's
    children.

The 13th Ark shows up and is completely ignored outside of a plot hook to set up the Neo-Cocoon project? Yeah, right.

Final Fantasy XIII-3 confirmed. :P

KiTA on
    Yeah, now that I've finally played it, I'm surprised the game reviewers didn't bash it a little more. Reading those quick blurbs on metacritic makes it sound like a lot of them appreciated the streamlined nature of the game. Obviously those are not regular RPG players.

Square Enix pays a LOT of money in advertising. It's not surprising it got rave reviews.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

Square Enix pays a LOT of money in advertising. It's not surprising it got rave reviews.

Or, you know, it's a genuinely good game.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    No, kime, that can't be it they bought those reviews because if one person doesn't like a thing they did, then no one can like that thing.

camo_sig2.png

I like it so far. *shrug*

• JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    -Half of the game is you just running away from the authorities with no real purpose or goal in sight. The story just kind of stops and you're just running, running, running...yeah, there's some character development going on during this part but it's not nearly interesting enough to make up for it. When I got to the part where you board the airship to save Vanille and Sazh, I was SO much more pumped up because now there was an actual purpose and goal. Unfortunately after that, it's more running around without much direction. There's some vague ideas being thrown around about saving Cocoon but there's no real plan.

That last point is my biggest complaint. The game party just runs around with little to no direction. Who knows, maybe this is analogous to the what the development team went through while making the game.

I don't give a hoot about towns or NPCs, but I wholeheartedly agree. I actually have a similar complaint about FFXIII-2. These Cocoon folk aren't very goal-oriented. There's some vague idea about saving the future and saving Lightning, but for the most part, they're also just running around without a plan.

That being said, I still enjoyed FFXIII's linearity and I don't think all the sidequests and towns make FFXIII-2 more enjoyable for me. It all seemed very fetch questy to me.

What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    the biggest surprise to me about the 13 reactions was that apparently lots of people liked wandering around towns full of developmentally damaged NPCs

which isn't to say that 13 does a great job of worldbuilding necessarily, but most of the elements it removed were never anything but semi-mindless padding

You and me, hating pointless town excursions together!

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    Hahaha
    qEGPY.jpg

camo_sig2.png

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Best thing in XIII-2. I love it.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hate that song...so much.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    LOVE that song...so much.

Fixed. It's my default choco theme.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yep, I'm in the awesome camp.

wVEsyIc.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Arkady wrote: »

You and me, hating pointless town excursions together!
    Lack of towns wasn't really a big deal as it was made out, it was more of a symptom of a larger problem, but that's the part that stood out on the surface for a lot of people. It's an easy dot point problem that's really the tip of the iceberg of larger world building, storytelling and art direction issues. FF13's setting felt hollow, very gamey rather than creating a world you could lose yourself in.

It's not that towns are all that important or useful for gameplay purposes so much as they can do a good job of helping ground a setting or giving it a sense of place. Making it seem like a real environment that people live in and has an internal logic to it. Plus they can be good beats for pacing, or hubs for stories.

If the world and it's inhabitants were shown better in the game (instead of explained in a datalog), if the pacing was better, if the environment design was smarter then the town thing probably wouldn't have even been noticed.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Example of a game (and series) that perfects rpg towns? Trails in the Sky.

Houses and living quarters (above shops) for everyone fully furnished. Restaurants, general stores, and the like. Believable economies and modes of transportation (which aren't instant). NPCs that talk about current events both local and elsewhere in the world, with complete dialog changes after every event. In-world readable newspapers.

Most believable rpg world ever.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.