As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Show off your [Screenshots] thread [NSF56k]

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That depth of field is sexy as hell.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Is that bokeh DOF? Looks nasty hot.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Is that bokeh DOF? Looks nasty hot.

Yep! It makes for some cool screenshots, but it does cost a few frames.

ksH6BjbQ6wBcj.jpg

And I just found this lone, grizzled Imperial soldier standing stoically in the middle of nowhere. I thought to myself, this guy has a story.

kbq2WwIxywDLid.jpgklXM81tGcUjrh.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    Dashui, those pics are great, but I really like those with the Imperial soldier. The one with you behind him, as he gives those mountains the thousand yard stare, sends chills down my spine.

steam_sig.png
    Duke Nukem 3d time. Whoever said earlier that DooM looks better was right, I think, but Duke wins in terms of character, hands down.

duke0004.jpg
    When you use the "quick kick" hotkey it says "MIGHTY FOOD ENGAGED" which is quite endearing.

duke0006.jpg
    Evil cat aliens are in our prison showers. DUKE IS THE MAN FOR THE JOB.

duke0001.jpg
    If you squish an enemy under a door, this little stringy thing of alien goo sticks around.

duke0014.jpg
    This is a character from Rise of the Triad or something. Can't really remember.

duke0007e.jpg
    Remember those showers? This lightswitch turns the light in that room on and off. That's more interactivity than most first person shooters that are released these days. Can you turn the lights off in Half-Life 2 or Halo 3? No.

duke0008.jpg
    The face of innovation: when you use a keycard Duke actually uses the keycard.

duke0010.jpg
    Dunno what I was going for with this screenshot.

duke0011.jpg
    A prisoner (all the prisoners are aliens for some reason, you'd think that having just invaded Earth they'd be keeping some humans or whatever) has a poster of a sexy lady!

duke0012.jpg
    But really the poster is just hiding a hole, Shawshank Redemption style. Down at the bottom of this cave I found some pipebombs!

duke0013.jpg
    A pointless map of the prison complex.

So really I just posted 10 screenshots and at most 2 of them are of combat, and I think part of that is because Duke Nukem 3d has so much fun interactive stuff that it's hard not to get hung up on pressing buttons and flipping switches and stuff. Unfortunately screenshots can't capture the magic of Duke's voice. "Hail to the king, baby!" doesn't come through in pixels.

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Haha, great stuff. I can remember being utterly amazed the first time I came across the pool table and realised I could actually move the balls around. Also, I never did find the final secret area on the very first level despite trying to for ages... I'm gonna have to Google that now.

steam_sig.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    "What's wrong, did someone steal your sweet roll?" emot-smug.gif

Yes.

FQWsX.jpg

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Hahaha, love the one on his nose!

Dude has a habit!

fragglefart.jpg
    edited March 2012
    I bet killing him would allow you to get one of the dungeon words in the shout chain "Diah Bee Tus".

I hear that it's not that good of a shout though. From what I heard tier 3 makes your feet fall off if you use it too much.

Archonex on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »
    I bet killing him would allow you to get one of the dungeon words in the shout chain "Diah Bee Tus".

I hear that it's not that good of a shout though. From what I heard tier 3 makes your feet fall off if you use it too much.

Haha this needs to be a mod. Using the shout spews out a powerful stream of sugar rolls, knocking the enemy for a six.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    that's the coolest screenshot ever.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    that's the sweetest screenshot ever.

steam_sig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm re-posting this here, because they're pretty great screenshots, as well as an epic tale of bravery, horror, and great dance moves:

kBDUzPLjzmFUL.jpg kyDcGETmQe6Af.jpg kJnz7jEsNyHCA.jpg kbscgunVkZf4AU.jpg
    kjtHkjAkyUGZG.jpg kzdg4VvzreY3k.jpg kbtFIvnPs7k2rX.jpg kb1AwW6k4xzGPw.jpg
    k9I5Lj23rwqNT.jpg kbgMzDPL9Ugv7v.jpg kWIfCodWoOLs.jpg kbjqlPLBCAYzdN.jpg

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    More Duke 3d:

duke0015.jpg
    This is the submarine I will use to escape the prison. What is a submarine doing here? I don't know.

duke0018.jpg
    The sub takes me to some sort of... place... which does stuff. See that claw? It picks up barrels. Or...

duke0017.jpg
    It picks up Duke! This is where Half-Life 2 got the idea for that ride in the end part of the game, probably. This factory also has a layout suspiciously similar to a factory-esque part of Xen from the original Half-Life.

duke0020.jpg
    Two other little touches that Duke does better than most contemporary games: sometimes when you kill an enemy, they take a little while to die (although you can finish them off), and if you step in blood, you leave some footprints.

duke0021.jpg
    Hmm, what does this device do?

duke0019.jpg
    Oh, it shrinks me down until I'm 4 inches tall so I can explore hidden places. If you run into an enemy while you're shrunk, they try to step on you. If they do, you're instantly crushed.

duke0022.jpg
    "What did you do in Duke Nukem 3d?" "Oh, you know just your average stuff, like fighting floating levitating octabrains underwater with a shotgun while dodging nautical mines and keeping an eye on my scuba equipment..."

duke0025.jpg
    "...then I fought some jetpack-equipped cat aliens in a ravine..."

duke0026.jpg
    When you read this sign, an earthquake happens, half the level collapses, and Duke says "holy shit!"

duke0027j.jpg
    Why is a nearly naked lady dancing around a fire in the San Andreas fault? BECAUSE DUKE NUKEM.

• HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    Mass Effect 3

masseffect32012-03-11ayu1k.png

masseffect32012-03-11egugn.png

masseffect32012-03-10naupm.png

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    it probably has something to do with my age, but ill always see doom/duke/decent/quake as the golden era of fps

farbekrieg wrote: »
    it probably has something to do with my age, but ill always see doom/duke/decent/quake as the golden era of fps

Everyone agrees with you. Not just old people.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular

Everyone that matters anyway. :P

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    I definately agree too.

But multiplayer FPS is something I considedr as seperate so I feel comfortable saying BF3 is on par with Final Doom (my REAL favourite old-school fps) in terms of pure fun.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »

I think after that golden age came some of the worst single player fps ever made. Blood 2, Sin, Unreal, anything that came out in that era up until Half-Life kind of sucked.

This does not include the Thief games, because I don't consider those to be shooters.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I dunno, last generation gave us Half Life 2, Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Metroid Prime. Those are preeeeety good.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This generation gave us Red Faction: We forgot to write a plot, also aliens in tunnels.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    This generation gave us Red Faction: We forgot to write a plot, also aliens in tunnels.

I'm pretty sure rf2 was last gen

steam_sig.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, Mass Effect 3

?.jpg

?.jpg

?.jpg

?.jpg

?.jpg

?.jpg

Spoilers probably. (dlc and character events.)
    ?.jpg

?.jpg

?.jpg

?.jpg

?.jpg

Deaderinred on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The retardedly narrow FoV on Darkness II has slowed my progress (headaches+motion sickness), but still a great game.

?.png

?.png

?.png

?.png

?.png

edited March 2012

I think after that golden age came some of the worst single player fps ever made. Blood 2, Sin, Unreal, anything that came out in that era up until Half-Life kind of sucked.

This does not include the Thief games, because I don't consider those to be shooters.

You shut your goddamn filthy mouth.

Unreal is one of the big FPS series out there. The Tournament series in particular is legendary amongst many gamers, especially tournament types. With the exception of the last one, that is. 2004 is also right up there as one my most played games ever. The second to the last tournament game also has AI that stands up to todays AI, and will gleefully kill you if you screw around with it.

Of course, then they looked at everything the last few games did right, stripped the features out of them, then made bland, boring, "grey is the new real" maps in the newest one instead of maps like that giant tree map you could fight in. Or a death world where everyone goes insane in 24 hours because of solar radiation. Or the arctic factory assault map. Or the giant robot factory. Or convoy, which i've not seen replicated ever in any FPS of that scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cjRX_FwYYQ

Or the Skaarj Assault map. Which was basically what happens when Unreal impacts violently with the Death Star scene. It even had you fight the enemy in space first in space interceptors and bombers (Letting the defenders pilot turrets, too.) before you could board the Skaarjstar to try and blow it up from within.

And then there's maps like this, which were fan made/extras that were in later editions of the game, and are utterly hilarious:
    (Video because you can't show it off really, with just screenshots due to the nature of the map.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9up4HrAXWn4&feature=relmfu

You don't see games like that anymore. It's all "modern warfare grim gritty realism, die in a few hits" affairs nowadays. :(

On a more related note, the X series came out with an expansion to Terran Conflict. It adds in hard-coded warfare, which mods can then amp up and give more depth too, amongst other things.

Took some screenshots of a few fleet battles with XRM and Improved Races enabled in their alpha state for Albion Prelude. The results were pretty amazing, though they'd probably fry a lesser CPU.

The screenshots with what appears to be a sector map overlaid over the image is showing just how many ships are fighting in my immediate area. Often I can't even get the list of them all on one or two pages. The screenshots in question detail a major Terran offensive to push out past the chokepoint set up by the Argon Federation, out past Circle of Labour. Which is the only route to and out of Terran space in-game unless you have a jump drive and a lot of balls.

None of the screenshots were generated by a "story" either, the game just built the ships and decided to go wreck another empires space and take it over on its own.

GkWcq.jpg

z5Rvk.jpg

dDWcI.jpg

l0Y01.jpg

xqbZm.jpg

TW3V6.jpg

Archonex on
    He said "single player," although to be fair Unreal's single player was pretty neat.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Those assault maps were fucking great, no question about it.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Unreal is one of the big FPS series out there. The Tournament series in particular is fucking legendary. With the exception of the last one, that is. 2004 is right up there as one my most played games ever. The second to the last tournament game also has AI that stands up to todays AI, and will gleefully kill you if you screw around with it.

Of course, then they looked at everything the last few games did right, stripped the features out of them, then made bland, boring, "grey is the new real" maps in the newest one instead of maps like that giant tree map you could fight in. Or a death world where everyone goes insane in 24 hours because of solar radiation. Or the arctic factory assault map. Or the giant robot factory. Or convoy, which i've not seen replicated ever in any FPS of that scale.

Or the Skaarj Assault map. Which was basically what happens when Unreal impacts violently with the Death Star scene. It even had you fight the enemy in space first in space interceptors and bombers (Letting the defenders pilot turrets, too.) before you could board the Skaarjstar to try and blow it up from within.

I said single player fps. It was actually a golden age for multiplayer shooters, we had the godfather of classic deathmatch Quake 1, followed shortly after by the pretty damn neat Quake 2. Unreal Tourney as you pointed out came out along with it's superior contemporary Quake 3. There was also weird mod stuff going like Action Quake and Rocket Area. Then towards the ends of the era we got the Counterstrike beta.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)

Unreal is one of the big FPS series out there. The Tournament series in particular is fucking legendary. With the exception of the last one, that is. 2004 is right up there as one my most played games ever. The second to the last tournament game also has AI that stands up to todays AI, and will gleefully kill you if you screw around with it.

I said single player fps. It was actually a golden age for multiplayer shooters, we had the godfather of classic deathmatch Quake 1, followed shortly after by the pretty damn neat Quake 2. Unreal Tourney as you pointed out came out along with it's superior contemporary Quake 3. There was also weird mod stuff going like Action Quake and Rocket Area. Then towards the ends of the era we got the Counterstrike beta.

Fair enough. Though i'd argue that Unreal Tournament is a SFPS. You can certainly play it that way with no problems. The AI is smart enough to give you a challenge. Especially on some maps like Skaarj Assault, where if your team isn't fast enough they'll set up choke points in hallways and at that one stair-well and block you for the rest of the match in a meat-grinder.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Some screenshots from Amnesia, which I've been (trying) to finish lately. Spoilered in case you don't want to see what the monster looks like.
    ?.jpg

And

?.jpg

Both of those are "OH SHIT" moments.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    I just gave up playing amnesia and watched a let play of it on youtube... overall it was a more entertaining experience that way ;),

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I swear the monster could have been a rainbow pony and I still would have shit myself

steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Dungeon Defenders!

?.jpg

My countess, rocking her pink coat of arms and giant green plant sword thingy

?.jpg

My Traptress sporting her witches outfit and my huge Blasticus machine gun

?.jpg

Barbarians aren't that menacing lookit their cute lil freckles

?.jpg

My apprentice, who I've shown off here before.

?.jpg

An actiony SS from our campaign marathon earlier

?.jpg

And a wyvern, being an asshole.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    wait wait WAIT

Are characters customisable in that game?

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular

Unreal was a game, though apparently no one else remembers. Quake single player was really fun. Jedi Knight? Goldeneye?

1208768734831.jpg
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    wait wait WAIT

Are characters customisable in that game?

Their color scheme is, and most of them have at least one outfit you can unlock for them.

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I love playing The Hidden when the person who is actually playing the hidden leaves bodies hanging around. Just a real sick fucker, ya know?
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559785036038444752/7DBAED83251CDDC4EAB9ACA327181C0A482D5568/
    klyka will tear you limb from limb. dude'll make it slowwwww

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    If I were to get one of the Unreal Tournament games at this point, are there still people playing online? If so, are they all burly men, if so how burly, and would they use lube?

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    As long as you bring your own bowl of nails I'm sure you'll be fine.

But gee wiz, I do wonder how that community is doing nowdays. Damn you, 3.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
This discussion has been closed.