As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• Options
    Phoenix SmasherPhoenix Smasher Registered User regular
    Is there any way for the system to automatically connect to wifi connections it's already been connected to? I'm finding it really annoying that every time I fire it up I have to go through a ton of menus in order to connect to a wifi connection.

It does for me.

Are you always at the same connection? I have the 3G model and there are 4 different wifi connections that I'm near in a given week. They're all saved on the system, but I keep having to go through the menus in order to connect to them.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have problems with their battery life? I've been playing my vita off and on all day, never bothering to charge it, and its still at over half battery life even though I've put like 2-3 hours of PSP Gaming in. I have no problems with it, and wondering why so many previews had listed the battery life as problematic. D: Maybe its because I turned off 3g and bluetooth connectivity? If its never searching for the signal does it save battery while in sleep? Either way I love the damn thing.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think I killed mine once after a marathon session of dynasty warriors. But that was like four hours and I couldn't say it was fully charged at the start.

Its not the best battery ever (that would be the gb pocket) but I never really feel like its dead weight. As long as I charge it before I plan to be away from a PC/outlet for a while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It wouldn't surprise me if playing PSP games drained it slower than Vita games.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I have been pleasantly surprised by the battery. I was expecting it to be like the 3ds battery, but it seems to last longer.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Took my 2 year-old for a walk today, and he face-planted on the ground. When he got up, it appeared that when he tripped, he had landed on Gamestop's website, purchased a download code for Disgaea, and installed it on my Vita.

My wife totally bought that story. Totally.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    Oh no, I hope everything is okay! Disgaea didn't get hurt in the fall, did it?

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Does anyone have problems with their battery life? I've been playing my vita off and on all day, never bothering to charge it, and its still at over half battery life even though I've put like 2-3 hours of PSP Gaming in. I have no problems with it, and wondering why so many previews had listed the battery life as problematic. D: Maybe its because I turned off 3g and bluetooth connectivity? If its never searching for the signal does it save battery while in sleep? Either way I love the damn thing.

Yeah, I've played mine all day and I'm still at over half a battery. I have a wifi-only model, but bluetooth is enabled.

I do remember the previews claiming it'd be problematic, though.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Does bluetooth actually have any benefit from being on?

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Does bluetooth actually have any benefit from being on?

Bluetooth headset for voice chat.
    And that's pretty much it unless they unlock more uses down the road.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    It'll undoubtedly be used to communicate with the PS3 eventually as well. So using the Vita as a PS3 controller or to play remote play games. And that might be why they haven't enabled remote play with all games yet, as bluetooth should have a lot less lag than WiFi.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    HOT SHOTS GOLF DIFFICULTY CURVE!

OH MY GOD.

I'm up to the Silver courses and the Bronze was brutal enough. I'm afraid I'll have to start using easy mode.. :cry:

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    It'll undoubtedly be used to communicate with the PS3 eventually as well. So using the Vita as a PS3 controller or to play remote play games. And that might be why they haven't enabled remote play with all games yet, as bluetooth should have a lot less lag than WiFi.

I remember Sony saying that they were interested in exploring the use of a Vita as a controller for the next playstation. This was around the time the WiiU was shown off. With a Vita, the next playstation would be able to do a lot of what the WiiU can do.

• Options
    So getting a vita has made me take a closer look at remote play. Though the amount of PS3 and PSN pickings are slim, there is still a great amount you can do with remote play that makes it worth messing with. Previously, I had paired my PSP with my PS3 and kinda tried connecting to XMB before, marveling at seeing my PS3 screen on my PSP, then turned it off and never came back. Since then, I've picked up a PSP Go and the aforementioned vita.

First, let me explain a bit about my home setup. I have my PS3 in my living room along with my Xbox 360, and both are connected to my HDTV. I have a separate dedicated gaming room where I keep my collection of retro consoles, and in this room there is a 32" SD TV. Connected to this TV is both a PSX and a PS2, along with a PSP Go with a paired dualshock 3. All the game machines in this room run to this SDTV.

Now, the cool thing about remote play is that it works on both the PSP and the PSVita, and thus far, titles that can be played on the Vita, can also be played on the PSP and vice versa. Something I don't see a lot of people talking about is that all the virtual console titles on the PS3, along with the PSX emulation, are remote play compatible. This means I can buy a game on my PS3, and use remote play on the go to play it on my TV, or use remote play on my Vita or PSP to play it on the go.

Remote play is too laggy to play any live-action game over the internet (although it's possible over a local network connection), but for RPGs this is a damn godsend. Take, for instance, final fantasy VII. I have the PSX discs, and while I could play the game on my actual PSX in full screen on my SD TV, there is incentive to play it on my PS3 instead. Should I pop the game into my PS3 and create a virtual memory card, I can take my save with me to any screen I go to in my house. That means when I play on my SD TV via the go, I can continue the saves I have in the other room on my PS3. The same applies to the Vita. It's like a cloud save.

Additionally, the games run in a smaller window when played through the go on my SDTV. While full screen would be awesome, running in a smaller window creates a much crisper, sharper image, even on the SDTV. The text is entirely readable.

This is really cool. I can see myself playing through my PSX RPG collection again if only because I'll be able to keep them, and my saves, with me at all times. A neat addition to remote play is that I can pick up a game from screen to screen without even stopping the game. That is, I don't have to close the game on the PS3 to take it with me on the vita. I can continue exactly where I am. So say I'm playing a game and for whatever reason, I need to head out and catch a bus. I can pick up my vita, enter remote play, and continue from the exact spot I left off, with my game never turning off in between.

Obviously, this applies to the few true titles which support remote play too. Stuff like Lair (haha) or Bionic Commando Rearmed (neat!). I play my Vita by turning my phone into a mobile wifi hotspot. If I use 3G speed, the controls are too laggy for something like Bionic Commando Rearmed, but if I bump that bitch up to 4g (or if I'm in my home, connected to a local wifi network) then the lag is low enough to play such a game.

This is a neat feature and I hope to see it expanded upon. If nothing else, at least it currently works as a way to get PSX games on your Vita. I'm sure they'll come as fully compatible installs later on, but you don't have to wait right now if you have a PS3.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Is there any way for the system to automatically connect to wifi connections it's already been connected to? I'm finding it really annoying that every time I fire it up I have to go through a ton of menus in order to connect to a wifi connection.

It does for me.

Are you always at the same connection? I have the 3G model and there are 4 different wifi connections that I'm near in a given week. They're all saved on the system, but I keep having to go through the menus in order to connect to them.

I switch between two (home and work) and it always connects to both seamlessly.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Yeah, so after someone pointed out that Gamestop thing, I pretty much bought Z.H.P. and Prinny 2. 30$ for two awesome games when I think the PSN has them both for 30$ individually? Totally worth it. Download faster~

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UmbryUmbry Registered User regular
    After trying to figure it out myself and googling it, I'm surprised it seems that you can't make folders under Music, Photos, or Videos using the Content Manager. It's a mess having all the videos of different shows mixed together.

Edond.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Does anybody in the UK know or have any of the codes for discount off the Namco Vita PSN downloads? I know Ridge Racer Vita is supposed to be crap but £8 discount would make me want to give it a try.

• Options
    Phoenix SmasherPhoenix Smasher Registered User regular

It does for me.

There are a few Google search results that bring up the same problem I have. I'll give Sony a call and see what the deal is.

• Options
    edited March 2012

It does for me.

There are a few Google search results that bring up the same problem I have. I'll give Sony a call and see what the deal is.

Hm, weird. For reference, I also have the 3G model, but with 3G and Bluetooth both disabled. I also never enter or leave a wifi zone with the Vita awake/active. I only wake it from sleep once I'm at home/work and covered in wifi. Oh, and one network is open, while the other is WPA passworded. It connects smoothly to both without being told to.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Hmmmm. ClaDun X2 or Trails in the Sky?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

TitS

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    You know, not having to grind your new arrivals in Tacitcs Ogre would make this experience a bit better. I'm trying to use all my unique characters so I can see as much of their dialogue as possible, but after getting my Blind Swordsman, now also having to grind up 2 White Knights is just ugh.

Considering just saying 'screw it' and pushing through to the end for now. I'll always have the World Tarot to jump around with later.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    You know, not having to grind your new arrivals in Tacitcs Ogre would make this experience a bit better. I'm trying to use all my unique characters so I can see as much of their dialogue as possible, but after getting my Blind Swordsman, now also having to grind up 2 White Knights is just ugh.

Considering just saying 'screw it' and pushing through to the end for now. I'll always have the World Tarot to jump around with later.

Yeah, I just recruited the best character in the game after a fuckoff hard battle, so by all rights I should be thrilled.

But ugh, leveling someone from 1.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

TitS for sure.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, I just recruited the best character in the game after a fuckoff hard battle, so by all rights I should be thrilled.

I don't even see why people seem to be bothered by this so much. I literally let the game level itself for a hour while I watch a TV show and the character is all caught up. If I paid enough attention to reset fights quicker, it'd probably take less then a hour.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I don't even see why people seem to be bothered by this so much. I literally let the game level itself for a hour while I watch a TV show and the character is all caught up. If I paid enough attention to reset fights quicker, it'd probably take less then a hour.

Oh shit. I honestly didn't even think of turning on the AI for everyone.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    PSN is down, which I guess means I can't move content between my PS3 and Vita.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options

Oh shit. I honestly didn't even think of turning on the AI for everyone.

Me either. That's brilliant, @chocobolicious.

• Options
    aoeuiaoeui Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Oops! Please correct the errors below to continue.

Digital products can only be billed to an address in the United States.

Gamestop! I only want to buy numbers from you!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    aoeui wrote: »

ONLY AMERICANS CAN HANDLE THE 12 ALPHA-NUMERIC DIGITS.

USA
    USA
    USA
    ETC

minor incident on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular

I'm running into a similar problem. Australia != my billing address, so it keeps spitting out an error at me. -.-

工事中
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

There's a reason for this.
    The codes that Gamestop sells in the USA are 'standard' system. Canada needs to have 'Metric' codes, so they are incompatible with those on the US site.

• Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    So, my fucking awesome fiancee just told me she bought a Vita and I have a question I can't seem to find a clear answer to.

We bought Chrono Trigger and Harvest Moon on PSN awhile back (the PSmini/PSX games), would we be able to transfer those and play them on the Vita? Also, does the Vita support multiple PSN IDs like the PS3 does?

I'm sure it's a stupid question, but as I said, I can't seem to find a clear answer. Thanks for any help duders.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So, my fucking awesome fiancee just told me she bought a Vita and I have a question I can't seem to find a clear answer to.

We bought Chrono Trigger and Harvest Moon on PSN awhile back (the PSmini/PSX games), would we be able to transfer those and play them on the Vita? Also, does the Vita support multiple PSN IDs like the PS3 does?

I'm sure it's a stupid question, but as I said, I can't seem to find a clear answer. Thanks for any help duders.

First question, no. (YET. They said it will be added down the road)

No idea about the second one though, I only use one ID.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    You cannot play PS1 games directly on the vita. However, you can remote play PS1 games through the PS3 if you'd like that. I like to watch TV while playing PS1 games on the vita through remote play.

You can only support 1 PSN ID per memory card on the vita. You have to reset the vita and switch memory cards to switch IDs. :(

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    So, in Tactics Ogre, is there a way to initiate a battle in a location without having to walk back and forth 50 times?

• Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    First question, no. (YET. They said it will be added down the road)

No idea about the second one though, I only use one ID.
    CorriganX wrote: »
    You cannot play PS1 games directly on the vita. However, you can remote play PS1 games through the PS3 if you'd like that. I like to watch TV while playing PS1 games on the vita through remote play.

You can only support 1 PSN ID per memory card on the vita. You have to reset the vita and switch memory cards to switch IDs. :(

Fantastic, thanks guys.

Kind of sucks that you can only have 1 PSN ID per memory card. For everything they're doing right a few things just seem like very odd choices resulting from a compromise of some sort. Yet, I'm sure there's a good reason why it has to be that way.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    So thanks to a large gift card I'm gonna get a vita. If you could only have one launch game, is uncharted the way to go?

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    So thanks to a large gift card I'm gonna get a vita. If you could only have one launch game, is uncharted the way to go?

Honestly? I've had more fun with Hot Shots Golf and Touch My Katamari. But really it depends on what you want. My first title was Uncharted, but I've barely played it.

Uncharted is great, though!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar