As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    All this stuff is based on an actual war that happened about 70 years ago

I call bullshit. What was the name of this supposed conflict?

• OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Nah, pretty sure it was a video game. A sequel, even.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Nah, pretty sure it was a video game. A sequel, even.

You guys are talking about Super War 2, right?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Brothers in Arms is funderful. It's like I'm a rifleman/ranger/paratrooper from Company of Heroes, where I command my own guys. There's even 6 or 7 people in my full squad, almost the same number.
    I liked how they mentioned Cherbourg in the second level because my CoH army in single player captured that place. It's not a reference, because BIA was made before CoH but it's still nice to hear.
    Uh even if CoH was made before it, that wouldn't be a reference. All this stuff is based on an actual war that happened about 70 years ago, so when they say things like "Cherbourg" they're referencing actual battles, not other video games.

Nah, ya tink' George? I just thought World War 2 was fucking Star Wars or something.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    All this stuff is based on an actual war that happened about 70 years ago

I call bullshit. What was the name of this supposed conflict?

This had me laughing hysterically for 10 minutes.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, on Friday @Ashe gifted me a copy of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines... which I've never played.

In honor of this incredibly classy gift, which I've heard tell is one of the great games of all time, and after about a long experimental while trying to get the game to work, this shall be my character for my first playthrough.

2012-03-04_00002.jpg

Let the blood-sucking begin. I tried to make it look similar to Ashe's avatar, but didn't know the origin of it so I just kind of winged it.

Taramoor on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    World War 2 Episode 3: Poland Strikes Back.

Are you the magic man?
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, a while back I got NightSky as part of one of the humble bundles I think. I always thought it was a fun little game (although I hate what it does when you set it to fullscreen), but probably not something I'd ever sink a significant amount of time into.

Turns out, there's something called Alternative mode. Yeah. It's basically hardmode a.k.a. "you may as well just bang a nail through the head of your dick right now" mode.

But I didn't bang a nail through the head of my dick. I was going to. I had the hammer in my hand. Instead I pressed on and after much effort (though I still haven't 100%'d the game), I did indeed complete Alternative mode.

NightSky is a game where you roll a ball around. And I am more proud of this accomplishment than 90% of the games I've beaten in recent memory.

80B9410DDB5973B5FFF456982FB0F2D5F6DA10FB

Edit: "Slightly Nonsense" is kind of a bonus level that you can't actually do unless you find a bunch of hidden things. Man, I was just happy to finish Alternative mode.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I have NightSky too, but have never played it.

It might be awhile too since I just bought the D&D bundle from GG.

Steam: offday
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Haha, @Taramoor, that's ace, thanks. Glad you got it to work in the end.

steam_sig.png
  • irespriteiresprite Registered User regular
    Hey, so I picked up L4D2 this past week, and was wondering if any classy gentlemen would enjoy playing it with me. I've played L4D1, but would love to do The Sacrifice and do the bridge into L4D2. Any interest for today or tomorrow night?

steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Backlog progress. This week I finished The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. What a weird ending btw, hope they don't screw it up in the 3rd game.
    But I bought Saints Row 2. So I completed a couple dozen hours of gameplay just to add several more to the backlog. But hey... two games down, one up, that's a step in the right direction. And by right direction I mean beating the backl... hah yeah, we all know that's not gonna happen. Damn you Newell.

camo_sig2.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Backlog progress. This week I finished The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. What a weird ending btw, hope they don't screw it up in the 3rd game.

Third game. Heh. Don't hold your breath. I don't know of any actual development of a new installment. Funcom seems to have decided to make shitty MMOs instead.

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

hahahahahahehephdphoohohohjehehehehahah.

Oh, man. I hate to break this to you...

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    ErSFQ.jpg
    If it runs well, and is reasonably priced, I might buy this "steam box".
    That's a nice sized box. You'd be able to use it like a normal PC also, right?

---
    Triple B wrote: »
    So, a while back I got NightSky as part of one of the humble bundles I think. I always thought it was a fun little game (although I hate what it does when you set it to fullscreen), but probably not something I'd ever sink a significant amount of time into.

Turns out, there's something called Alternative mode. Yeah. It's basically hardmode a.k.a. "you may as well just bang a nail through the head of your dick right now" mode.

Edit: "Slightly Nonsense" is kind of a bonus level that you can't actually do unless you find a bunch of hidden things. Man, I was just happy to finish Alternative mode.
    Wait, there's an alternative mode? I thought I'd seen everything.

Anyway, unlocking all the doors in Slightly Nonsense is actually pretty easy if you've already beaten the game. When you go back to old levels, you'll get a slideshow of checkpoints. Some of them have a star next to them. Go there, look for hidden things. Most of the hidden things are a lot more obvious the second time around; two or three of them had me stumped for a little bit, but it's not too bad.

---
    Also, since nobody is talking about Rayman.

w7Oqg.jpg
    Double rainbow all the way!

Guys I just watched Serenity and I can't wait to see what Mal and the crew get up to next!

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    So I don't want to tell anyone not to get Recettear, because it makes up for the price of admission within the first couple of minutes, but... it got boring pretty fast. I think adding the dungeon crawling bits might have hurt, because it ends up with two half-games instead of one complete one. The characters, writing and everything were great, and I definitely recommend everybody buys it, but I think I played for around 5 hours, and I doubt I'll ever play it again.

Even at five hours, that's a better value than a movie ticket. But yeah, "know what you're getting into" always applies.

• oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Guys I just watched Serenity and I can't wait to see what Mal and the crew get up to next!

Many years later, and this still makes me sad :(

...man, they should totally make a Firefly game.

steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So is anyone else playing the Natural Selection 2 Beta? (If you preorder from their site they mail you a steam code.) I LOVED the original NS, but I haven't played it in so many years. I'm kind of scared to just join a random server and noob it up. D:

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I watched Serenity before watching Firefly (and I still haven't seen all the episodes).

Now that I got Magnetis to run (I had some error before), it's pretty fun.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    So I don't want to tell anyone not to get Recettear, because it makes up for the price of admission within the first couple of minutes, but... it got boring pretty fast. I think adding the dungeon crawling bits might have hurt, because it ends up with two half-games instead of one complete one. The characters, writing and everything were great, and I definitely recommend everybody buys it, but I think I played for around 5 hours, and I doubt I'll ever play it again.

I played the demo of Reccetear and decided I didn't need any more. I totally agree with your take on it - if I wanted a dungeon crawl game, I would go buy/play one. And if your shop management conceit is so boring that you feel the need to graft an action game on to it, maybe you should reconsider what kind of game you're making in the first place! I would much rather have had a fully-fleshed-out shop management/economics sim game than the hodgepodge they came up with.

I know the game is generally beloved in this thread, which is fine. It's great that it found an audience. It's just not for me!

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Vegan wrote: »

Third game. Heh. Don't hold your breath. I don't know of any actual development of a new installment. Funcom seems to have decided to make shitty MMOs instead.

Yeah I know about that but I believe there will still be some kind of closure. Even if not in the form of a game, something, anything will do.
    The creator posted earlier this year that he won't leave fans in the dark. Here's the link: http://www.ragnartornquist.com/journal/2012/1/1/twentytwelve.html
    So there is a reason why I still have some hope, you meanies!! :P

Here's the quote for the lazy:
    And what's ahead? That's too early to say, but rest assured that I haven't, and will not, leave The Longest Journey and Dreamfall fans in the dark forever. Chapters is going to happen, and hopefully this year you'll know when and how.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
    oakke wrote: »

Sort of like this? I mean, it's not the same thing, but parts of it are close.
    CorriganX wrote: »
    So is anyone else playing the Natural Selection 2 Beta? (If you preorder from their site they mail you a steam code.) I LOVED the original NS, but I haven't played it in so many years. I'm kind of scared to just join a random server and noob it up. D:
    My video card died, so no, but until then I was playing this. It's getting really good lately.

• IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    iresprite wrote: »
    Hey, so I picked up L4D2 this past week, and was wondering if any classy gentlemen would enjoy playing it with me. I've played L4D1, but would love to do The Sacrifice and do the bridge into L4D2. Any interest for today or tomorrow night?

I will join if you are interested. (still haven't finished the sacrifice myself)

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    If anyone else picked up that BeMine Bundle (groupees.com/bemine ) , it seems it now includes P.A.M as a bonus. Or some sort of aquarium...simulator...thingy.

Also may finally get some Payday on tomorrow, if Borderlands doesn't strike first.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    On the topic of the wonderful Night Sky's horrible fullscreen mode. I'm beta testing an HD version of the game. It's not a problem any more. It looks great.

I don't know if it's going to be a separate product or an update to existing copies of the game. But yeah, figured I'd put that out there.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Renegade Ops is pretty cool, great if you love old school overhead shooters but only 4 unlock slots is bullshit.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Renegade Ops is pretty cool, great if you love old school overhead shooters but only 4 unlock slots is bullshit.

I didn't realize I could only have four upgrades until the last mission. That was aggravating.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    since i probably have like an hour tops left in ME1 i figured i would attempt to finish it. hoy crap, so much talking. just get to the point already

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    since i probably have like an hour tops left in ME1 i figured i would attempt to finish it. hoy crap, so much talking. just get to the point already

I view Mass Effect as a conversation simulator that occasionally lets me punch people in the face.

• oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I was thinking more of a proper Firefly game with the licensed characters and such, but damn that looks fantastic.

oakke on
    steam_sig.png
    Hmm, when is the next sale? I want to snatch up Red Orchestra 2 then.

• rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    oakke wrote:

I was thinking more of a proper Firefly game with the licensed characters and such, but damn that looks fantastic.

you mean something like this cancelled firefly mmo?

rRootagea on
  • striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    iresprite wrote: »

I will join if you are interested. (still haven't finished the sacrifice myself)

If you need another I'd play. I've only played a little l4d2 (never anywhere near finished it) and probably suck at it.

steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Renegade Ops looks really cool, but I always thought it was a FPS for some reason. Hearing it's an overhead shooter makes me a little more interested in it. What are these unlock slots for? Weapons or something?

Steam: offday
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Many thanks to a classy @Partizanka who gifted me Vampire Bloodlines. Gonna fire it up after dinner since I got my studying done.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I didn't realize I could only have four upgrades until the last mission. That was aggravating.

Yeah I only realised that once I hit lvl 30 on a character.

"Wait, why did it just... oooooohhh"

But still, ROps (to give it its cool shortened name that I totally didn't make up just now) is awesome. Everything about it is such a glorious throwback to those ancient arcade machines I used to play back when I was a kid. Extremely cheesy set up with ridiculous eeeeevil villains, rugged TOUGH TALKIN' heroes. Straight up blasting action with a focus on the pyrotechnics. And heck, even limited lives.

I had a ridiculous amount of nostalgia playing that game for the first time. It's like if the Capcom of the early 90's made an arcade machine with today's graphics, that would be it. Of course, what's played for cheese would've been played completely straight back then, but it's not like there would have been any difference. :P

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Yeah I only realised that once I hit lvl 30 on a character.

"Wait, why did it just... oooooohhh"

But still, ROps (to give it its cool shortened name that I totally didn't make up just now) is awesome. Everything about it is such a glorious throwback to those ancient arcade machines I used to play back when I was a kid. Extremely cheesy set up with ridiculous eeeeevil villains, rugged TOUGH TALKIN' heroes. Straight up blasting action with a focus on the pyrotechnics. And heck, even limited lives.

I had a ridiculous amount of nostalgia playing that game for the first time. It's like if the Capcom of the early 90's made an arcade machine with today's graphics, that would be it. Of course, what's played for cheese would've been played completely straight back then, but it's not like there would have been any difference. :P

ROps is good fun, and I've only played it as a single player experience but I think it would be great in multiplayer. So, anyone that would like to romp through it with me in MP lemme know!

p.s. I only got so far in Single player and ran into a bit of a problem trying to finish one of the maps, and for the life of me, I can't remember if it was just due to me running out of time and not figuring a quicker route or what, but I DO remember thinking, if I had a partner this would be easier.

50433.png?1708759015
This discussion has been closed.