As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hookup: Comics Deals, Sales, Giveaways, Etc.

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    I tried to resist, but I finally caved and ordered the first Captain America Omnibus.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Hey @Herojoe, if I buy more than one of your comics, is there any chance the shipping could be reduced? Just asking.

I can combine shipping.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    sweet!

• Options
    I have a funny story concerning your package. I couldn't find one of the books anywhere. I recently unloaded a bunch of stuff to a used book place so I got scared that I had already gotten rid of it. As a last resort I checked another package that I had just made and sure enough it was in there! :-p

Also you should have waited for me to send you an invoice so I could have combined the shipping. Now I get to keep the extra money WAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!

(Just kidding I'm refunding it.)

Anydangways I've still got some stuff left so check it:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/edwardwilfred/m.html?item=250959793106&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Thanks, dude! Both of the books I got are stories I'm really looking forward to reading.

• Options
    And you will be getting them soon!

Got something else you guys might be interested in, mislabeled toys:

snapshot-1.png

snapshot-2.png

For sale now!

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Amazon.com Goldbox deal on the Batman Beyond Complete Series Set.

62% Discount, $38 total.

Only available for one more hour, though.

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular

Yeah, I had to search hard to find a $2 comic to buy that I couldn't just read on DCU. Still, I'm stumped as to what I'm gonna buy with that $5. I'm not looking forward to buying any singles, so maybe I'll put it towards an all ages book I can read to my daughter.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Best all ages book I've read recently was The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Comixology's Marvel Monday sale this week features Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy for .99 an issue!

http://www.comixology.com/comics-collection/23?utm_source=comiXology+Digital+Comics+Newsletters&utm_campaign=834144dd55-Marvel+Monday+Sale+2/6

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    damn that made me look up the nova trades and annihilation only to find out they're out of print

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    damn that made me look up the nova trades and annihilation only to find out they're out of print

Yep!

It super sucks. At the same time, that means digital is really the easiest way to get them all now, so you may as well pick them up.

But the problem is that only issues 1-18 of each are on sale, when GotG ran to 25 issues and I think Nova ran to 30something.

• Options
    This may not be the best place for it, but

-Thwipster went down a few weeks ago to reorganize the site
    -Their facebook and twitter haven't been updated in over a week

None of this is a problem for a site really going through a big overhaul, buuuuuuut

-Thwipster.com domain expired two days ago

Is this the end of thwipster?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    When you say "Thwipster.com domain expired two days ago", what does that mean? The site is still up (although it's just a pretty page with a message saying "hay dudes we're all re-orging it up in here".

As an alternative/supplement to Thwipster, I've been looking at http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com. They really do have some very cheap graphic novels. I haven't bought anything from them yet, so can't vouch. I noticed that they buy used trades, so now I'm wondering if they can sell things for cheap because they're selling used (I'm don't like buying used; it weirds me out). I keep meaning to look into it more, but keep forgetting to.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote:
    When you say "Thwipster.com domain expired two days ago", what does that mean? The site is still up (although it's just a pretty page with a message saying "hay dudes we're all re-orging it up in here".

As an alternative/supplement to Thwipster, I've been looking at http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com. They really do have some very cheap graphic novels. I haven't bought anything from them yet, so can't vouch. I noticed that they buy used trades, so now I'm wondering if they can sell things for cheap because they're selling used (I'm don't like buying used; it weirds me out). I keep meaning to look into it more, but keep forgetting to.

They must have renewed it shortly after I posted.

When I tried to go there I just got a domain expired godaddy page.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Ah!

Well then, with our efforts combined, we are Captain Planet!

Also, with our efforts combined, we've proven that the Thwipster folks are keeping an active eye on their affairs. That's good. I started out pretty neutral on Thwipster (their regular sales are usually on par with Amazon's standard ~30% discount on trades/graphic novels), but they've won me over with their occasional crazy-ass sales and their professionalism. I hope they keep on truckin'.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The collected King City (424 pages) is currently 47% off ($10.52), if you pre-order it.

I've talked about this before, but it's pretty much my favorite comic. Like, ever. It's one of the few books that I'll wholeheartedly stand behind, and recommend to anyone.

The main reason for that, is that the plot is fairly archetypal; the hero returns to his old home, and finds it's moved on without him, with the once-familiar suddenly strange and unwelcoming. Now he must gather his resources, and figure out how he fits into things.

It's a story I think is universal, and is loaded with humor, action, drama, the absurd, and the mundane. There's something for everyone, and everything for someone. There's a thief who wields a cat like it's a Green Lantern ring, a Zombie War veteran who's addicted to the same drug he's slowly turning into, an emotionally conflicted crook in a luchador mask, and a femme fatale who leads a gang of owl-themed ninjas.

It's a profoundly difficult book to explain, but I promise, it's good. And for less than a dollar per issue, along with a bunch of bonus content, it's a steal.

sjLrn.png

Munch on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I am getting antsy about Thwipster myself. Thanks for linking to CheapGraphicNovels, though @Delduwath, haven't had a chance to look at it much yet but their prices look competitive and $5.99 flat rate shipping is pretty nice as well, although of course not quite as nice as free two-day from Amazon Prime.

Pity the site itself is so ugly...

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Amazon has the trade of Flashpoint for only $7.88 right now which is insane. The website says it comes out March 13 but DC's official site says March 7 so you might get it early if you pre-order now.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I realllllly want that trade, but I wish I knew some other stuff to toss in there for free shipping. Hmm.

Any other deals there?

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I realllllly want that trade, but I wish I knew some other stuff to toss in there for free shipping. Hmm.

Any other deals there?

X-men Schism hardcover is only 13 bucks at 25 retail. And it's a great looking HC as well, similiar to the Grant Morrison Batman and Robin HCs.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Any other deals there?

X-men Schism hardcover is only 13 bucks at 25 retail. And it's a great looking HC as well, similiar to the Grant Morrison Batman and Robin HCs.

Already have it!

It's my curse! I already have a lot of the trades I wanted, and I'm intentionally buying less and less in trade.

I guess I will pick up the next volume of Slott's Spider-Man in Softcover then. Maybe some Ghost Rider stuff if I can get some more cash by the end of the week.

Thanks for the tip, wirehead26.

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Buy Essex County!

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Buy Essex County!

Fair warning: It's not a comic about an entire county full of nothing but Mr. Sinister clones. Unfortunately.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Buy Essex County!

Fair warning: It's not a comic about an entire county full of nothing but Mr. Sinister clones. Unfortunately.

I honestly spent a good thirty seconds thinking that it was.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options

Holy shit that's a great deal. I might just not get the remaining issues on comixology and pre-order it.

• Options
    Marvel is doing another deal where if you buy a digital comic, you get a $5 coupon to use at your comics store.

Here's the list of qualifying titles

I haven't read basically any of these titles. Any recommendations?

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I've heard a lot of people praise Avengers Forever.

Damn. SA #23 (which I can't seem to find anywhere) AND I can get five bucks off my comics purchase? Well ... I think I'm sold.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Note: I am 99% sure the purchase has to be done through the marvel iOS/android apps, not on plain comixology.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    You should have the Marvel app anyway, they give away free comics every week!

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    You should have the Marvel app anyway, they give away free comics every week!

I do sir!, I just believe that there some web only people on the forums.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Amazon is having a big sale on trades. Things are close to half off cover price. I ordered Shield and King City the other day. :)

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    is there a big sale page for it, or should I just start browsing for trades I'm interested in? It's kind of hard to tell because most trades on amazon are drastic cuts of cover price normally.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Just look for whatever you are interested in, it will probably be on sale.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have a wishlist on Amazon of like 50 trades just for keeping track of stuff I'm interested in and not one of them appears to be on sale. Shitsnacks.