As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FILM] School Generation

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I'll add that watching Inland Empire isn't hugely uncomfortable for me - the movie's freaky but not "dear god I may have to shut this off" freaky.

By comparison, here's two trippy youtube videos I considered shutting off: uno, dos. It doesn't help that the titles are "lsd-trip" and "trippy animation" - I guess I imagined what'd be like if I was on drugs and I was hallucinating these things and I couldn't escape.

I think a big part of it for me is the sheer length of it. You spend a lot of time either in an uncomfortable place, or trying to figure out if you've left an uncomfortable place or don't know you're actually still lost in there, somewhere inside it still. There's an extended feeling of unpleasant dread leaking always leaking under the door.

The first video wasn't too bad, except for the shitty-ass bro-step butchering of 'Knights in White Satin.' I hate any remix/cover/etc of a song where they play part of the piece and then do something pointless, like they're just letting to song do the heavy lifting and then they can interrupt it and take an electronic shit here and there over the melody and call it a day.

Second video I liked, actually. It seemed to do its own thing pretty well. I liked 'I think the wall is on my side,' quite a lot. Felt legitimately honest.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    This is the music video with the original music.

Inland Empire's extreme length is part of why I like it so much - the length lets you get lost in its world.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I saw both Hannah and State of Play yesterday. Both were pretty good. State of Play made for some interesting commentary on the interplay of the media, politics, corruption, and privitization. I think it did a good job showing the interplay between different people as well. Nothing was totally cut and dry between the characters.

While Hannah didn't really have any social commentary, it did have style. The sets were always a treat to see. Music seamlessly flowed right through the narrative, dropping in and out at the right times. Hannah made a great unconventional action hero. The use of a teenage girl as an unstoppable action force was brilliant. A big "piss off" to stereotypes. Much is left unexplained in the narrative, but is instead implied, leaving room for interpretation. Really good overall.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Watched In Time yesterday. It has an intriguing premise that essentially uses a metaphor closer to reality than the metaphor we currently use in real life (fiat dollars). It suffers, however, from a number of issues, including the cheapo way they filmed the future, the weird modulations in tone, the kind-of poorly explained mechanics, the vast number of awful "time" puns, and the weird turn it takes where suddenly it's Bonnie and Clyde and Bonnie and Clyde is suddenly the Occupy movement.

It was watchable, but just barely, and I'm not sure I got anything out of the finished movie other than what was already in the trailer.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    There were so goddamn many time puns

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    And I love puns. But even I can't take that many of them in what is otherwise a serious movie.

"Got a minute?"
    "I don't have time for a girlfriend."
    "High time he left town."
    "I'd say your money or your life, but since your money is your life ... "
    The loan agencies are called "Time Shares", the local charities are often "Out of Time", the local gangsters are "Minute Men"...

What I'm saying is, In Time gives Batman and Robin a run for its punny.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    The worst part is some of those could actually be good ideas if handled a little more carefully.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't have time for this, any good movies coming out this week?

Lh96QHG.png
    John Carter's coming out soon.

I still need to see The Secret World of Arrietty.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I saw Rum Diary last night. I really liked it but the whole time I felt it needed an internal monologue.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited March 2012
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is in the mail. My expectation is that it won't be as good as the series but my secret hope is that since Lynch had more artistic control the movie will actually transcend the series.

I think the fact that it was booed at Cannes is a good sign.

wandering on
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is in the mail. My expectation is that it won't be as good as the series but my secret hope is that since Lynch had more artistic control the movie will actually transcend the series.

It is certainly a harsher, less compromising version of Twin Peaks. Jarring in many ways. If you liked Inland Empire I think you may be all right with it though. You know the drill-dark room, no interruptions. Not a movie that will hold your hand. Definitely recommend seeing the series first, but keep in mind this will not be like the series.

-

Tonight I watched An Englishman in New York, a sort-of biopic with John Hurt starring as Quentin Crisp. It was a fascinating, if short (1 hr 14 minutes) look at who up until now was a rather overlooked individual in the New York scene from the seventies up until relatively recent. A rather beautifully shot movie, with John Hurt looking impossibly fly for much of it in a black jacket and a swoopy black hat. Crisp largely was someone who by and large was his own man, and at times could be viewed as cold. It was a rather interesting examination of a member of gay culture that said culture turned on for having unpopular, perhaps poorly-chosen opinions about the AIDS epidemic of the 80's, although his main point is largely viewed now as being that people should not let themselves be cowed by the disease. It also served well as an example of the individual fighting against conformity, be it from the world at large, or from the culture that formed 'for' people like him.

All said, I do have to mention it lacked a coherent story arc, and I couldn't help but feel that this particular man had more than enough of an interesting life to support a larger, more fleshed-out story. But what was there certainly wasn't poor by any means, and John Hurt gives an excellent performance. I can't say I'd be willing to trade one for the other, given what is there is actually quite good.

• Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular

I think in some ways it's better than the series; it's certainly more full on. I jsut wish he'd had the opportunity to continue with Twin Peaks, cause there's a bunch of stuff that's started but never goes anywhere.
    I love that movie though.

2LmjIWB.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I think in some ways it's better than the series; it's certainly more full on. I jsut wish he'd had the opportunity to continue with Twin Peaks, cause there's a bunch of stuff that's started but never goes anywhere.
    I love that movie though.

He could have done that in novel form since another tv series isn't an option.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    The worst part is some of those could actually be good ideas if handled a little more carefully.

that really was the worst part! a lot of the movie had awesome concepts, even those puns show some decent ideas but man did that movie fucking blow.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    oops, I meant to post a movie quote in the chat thread and posted it in the movie thread instead!

Office Space, so good

So It Goes on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Johnny English Reborn was decent, when it comes up on one of the cable channels or HBO ad nauseum it's worth one look. It's rather standard but does some new things with the spy spoof genre, like a nice take on how to beat a parkour guy you're chasing, and how the spy game has become less masculine. McNulty is in the film, who I didn't suspect, and Gillian Anderson looks better here than she did in X Files. There's worse comedies out there.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

that really was the worst part! a lot of the movie had awesome concepts, even those puns show some decent ideas but man did that movie fucking blow.

I wouldn't say it blew but it was a disappointment. Especially because it could've been so awesome. Instead it was just all "kinda". kinda fun. kinda interesting. kinda sweet. None of it really sucked, it just flat out didn't engage me. every time I got to the point where I would think "yeah I think this is something I want to see" the fucking film switches the style up and it's a completely new thing I'm now supposed to be interested in.

It had all the things I like. Awesome actors, cool idea but it somehow failed to really be anything. It brought up interesting topics and issues and then ignored them to chase a very basic love-story that they still somehow failed to make interesting because they can't fucking commit to it.. I am a fucking sucker for love-stories, if it had done that correctly I would've still liked it, but they didn't even manage that.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rum Diary just felt like it had so little to tell. It seemed to be mostly 'crazy acting Depp meets crazy people, pulls a crazy face' which was sort of amusing but I just didn't feel any urgency or message.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Watched Hanna & Your Highness this week. They're both fantastic movies.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd call Your Highness a fantastic movie.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2012
    "Eh the movie wasn't the best but hey it's worth a rental" is not really a sentiment I understand. There are lots of movies out there! There's David Lynch movies I haven't seen. It's like saying "eh Danny DeVito is worth making out with I guess" when Warren Beatty circa 1980 is standing right there and he wants to make out with you.

wandering on
    edited March 2012
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd call Your Highness a fantastic movie.

It was hilarious. Considering how many parts were improv material it could have been much, much worse.

Harry Dresden on
    Watched Grizzly Man. I think I'm finding Werner Herzog to be a pretty solid guy when it comes to making damn near anything into a compelling narrative, but all the same...feel kind of weird about it. It's essentially about a somewhat broken man who went into the Alaskan wilderness in an attempt to heal himself, but it became an exercise in desperation where he began to feel if he could just love nature enough, somehow everything would be able to be okay for him.

I've kind of known people like that, so it's left me feeling quite odd. Plus I talk to my pet fish all the time, and for good or ill, Grizzly Man is one of those movies where if you see anything in yourself that reminds you of the subject, it's easy to worry you're on the safe part of the path that can lead you to the madness onscreen.

Oh, hey, Ghost Dog's on Netflix now. I'm gonna watch me some Ghost Dog.

Watched Grizzly Man. I think I'm finding Werner Herzog to be a pretty solid guy when it comes to making damn near anything into a compelling narrative, but all the same...feel kind of weird about it. It's essentially about a somewhat broken man who went into the Alaskan wilderness in an attempt to heal himself, but it became an exercise in desperation where he began to feel if he could just love nature enough, somehow everything would be able to be okay for him.

I've kind of known people like that, so it's left me feeling quite odd. Plus I talk to my pet fish all the time, and for good or ill, Grizzly Man is one of those movies where if you see anything in yourself that reminds you of the subject, it's easy to worry you're on the safe part of the path that can lead you to the madness onscreen.

Grizzly Man just made me very upset with the guy. He got himself killed, sure, but he got his girlfriend killed too. It was an interesting insight into what disrespecting nature means, and how it can happen even with the best intentions.

also I totally talk to my fish and cats

edited March 2012

Talking to a pet fish and a grizzly bear are completely different things. Unless your pet fish is a Great White and you think it won't eat you when you get in the water. Then it's dinner time.

Harry Dresden on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    "Eh the movie wasn't the best but hey it's worth a rental" is not really a sentiment I understand. There are lots of movies out there! There's David Lynch movies I haven't seen. It's like saying "eh Danny DeVito is worth making out with I guess" when Warren Beatty circa 1980 is standing right there and he wants to make out with you.

This is kind of how I feel (not really the Devito-Beatty thing, the other thing).

"It wasn't a great movie but it was worth spending your money on to waste several hours of your life!"

What kind of recommendation is that? That's like suggesting a terrible restaurant to someone because, hey, it didn't poison you and at least you put food in your mouth. Fuck people who would do such a thing.

Have you seen The Godfather? Or Casablanca? Or Blue Velvet? No? Then step away from the Redbox before you do something dumb like pay good money to sit through Burlesque or Season of the Witch. Or don't. I don't care. But if you think you're the kind of person who likes good movies, try to be the kind of person that actually seeks out good movies, even if they're old or artsy or "not your thing." Because whatever your "thing" is, if it got you to rent Abduction, your thing is broken.

So It Goes wrote: »

Grizzly Man just made me very upset with the guy. He got himself killed, sure, but he got his girlfriend killed too. It was an interesting insight into what disrespecting nature means, and how it can happen even with the best intentions.

Yeah, there wasn't anything right about that. Especially the whole bit on how he KNEW it was the wrong time of year to go back and he KNEW the bears that he'd basically trained to tolerate him were away to hibernate. No one even knows what they would've had to live on out there. They'd completed the annual summer thing without incident and then one freakout at the airport and he wants to go back to the wilderness in a time of year he's never been out in without any supplies to see him through it...

I doubt it occurred to him, but he basically put his girlfriend in a position where if she had let him go on his own she would've ended up feeling responsible for his death. And that's a horrible, horrible thing.

I doubt it occurred to him, but he basically put his girlfriend in a position where if she had let him go on his own she would've ended up feeling responsible for his death. And that's a horrible, horrible thing.

This will likely expose me as a horrible person, shocking everyone here, but I have to legitimately wonder about a person who would consciously choose to be in a relationship with and actively enable the behavior of an obvious psychopath.

Not that hardly anyone, save maybe Hitler, Pol Pot, and Santorum, should be eaten alive by bears, but at what point does your objectivity stop working? When your animal-nut boyfriend freaks the fuck out over wanting to live with the apex predator of the North American continent, you have the option to:
    A) say, "Sure, honey, let me get my tent," or
    B) realize that your significant other is deranged as a motherfucker
    B.2) see about getting them some help

Option A almost always ends with becoming bear food.

edited March 2012

This will likely expose me as a horrible person, shocking everyone here, but I have to legitimately wonder about a person who would consciously choose to be in a relationship with and actively enable the behavior of an obvious psychopath.

Not that hardly anyone, save maybe Hitler, Pol Pot, and Santorum, should be eaten alive by bears, but at what point does your objectivity stop working? When your animal-nut boyfriend freaks the fuck out over wanting to live with the apex predator of the North American continent, you have the option to:

it's not that simple, and I would definitely not call him an "obvious psychopath." maybe viewed through the lens of the documentary, sure, it's easily laid out for all of us to see. but for the people in his life, who loved him and wanted him to be happy, it would be much harder to see that and do what you say.

so go ahead and judge if you want I guess, I don't see the point of it nor do I think we are really in the best position to judge her actions, either.

So It Goes on
    I think if a movie tries something new or is effective in certain ways, saying 'it's not great but worth your time' can be valid

but it's probably much more rare than how often you hear the phrase.

and even then, it would only apply to someone who has seen lots of movies and shouldn't just go and see something of higher quality (because, theoretically, they have)

"It's entertaining but not the best movie you could see" is a statement I could agree with

that phrase might also kinda be subconscious code for "it's not great but someone else might like it more?"

I dunno

This is kind of how I feel (not really the Devito-Beatty thing, the other thing).

"It wasn't a great movie but it was worth spending your money on to waste several hours of your life!"

What kind of recommendation is that? That's like suggesting a terrible restaurant to someone because, hey, it didn't poison you and at least you put food in your mouth. Fuck people who would do such a thing.

Have you seen The Godfather? Or Casablanca? Or Blue Velvet? No? Then step away from the Redbox before you do something dumb like pay good money to sit through Burlesque or Season of the Witch. Or don't. I don't care. But if you think you're the kind of person who likes good movies, try to be the kind of person that actually seeks out good movies, even if they're old or artsy or "not your thing." Because whatever your "thing" is, if it got you to rent Abduction, your thing is broken.

While I agree with this in general, I do think it needs qualifications; specifically, I'm not always in the mood for a "great" movie. Sometimes I do just want something solid and low-energy, or I have a specific reason for watching that makes the movie worth it. I don't necessarily regret watching In Time, for instance, because the premise was interesting and I got to see some actors I really like get some work (Matt Bomer, Vincent Kartheiser, and Cilian Murphy).

That said, most people's "deserves a rental" standard is waaaaay too fucking low. And unlike most people I've already seen The Godfather, Casablanca, and Blue Velvet. So it's still good advice generally (and advice I've given before) to slap the DVD of Pirates of the Caribbean 4 out of a person's hand and say "There are so many better movies you could be watching right now."

ACsTqqK.jpg

The poor girl was screwed no matter what she did. It's clear she was unable to control him enough to keep him safe, but it was far too late to stop caring about him by that point.

He seriously needed a good therapist, not a girlfriend to solve his problems.

"It's entertaining but not the best movie you could see" is a statement I could agree with

that phrase might also kinda be subconscious code for "it's not great but someone else might like it more?"

I dunno

yeah that makes sense

can I get some opinions on the themes/message of Ides of March

I have some ideas but I'd love to hear what others think (and sorry if it's been previously discussed, I don't keep up with every page). I enjoyed it and thought it was engaging, also I am stupid obsessed with Ryan Gosling so there's that, but I haven't gotten all my thoughts straight about the themes.

Astaereth wrote: »

While I agree with this in general, I do think it needs qualifications; specifically, I'm not always in the mood for a "great" movie. Sometimes I do just want something solid and low-energy, or I have a specific reason for watching that makes the movie worth it. I don't necessarily regret watching In Time, for instance, because the premise was interesting and I got to see some actors I really like get some work (Matt Bomer, Vincent Kartheiser, and Cilian Murphy).

That said, most people's "deserves a rental" standard is waaaaay too fucking low. And unlike most people I've already seen The Godfather, Casablanca, and Blue Velvet. So it's still good advice generally (and advice I've given before) to slap the DVD of Pirates of the Caribbean 4 out of a person's hand and say "There are so many better movies you could be watching right now."

No, but I don't know if I've ever given someone a recommendation using the phrase, "Meh, it's good enough for a rental." There are some very interesting movies that aren't great, probably greater in volume than movies that are actually great. But I would say something like, "Oh, you should definitely check out Tarsem Singh's The Fall. The narrative is a little shaky, but the cinematography is astounding."

I think my thing is, if I want "low energy" entertainment, I'm probably going to watch something funny, not a serious drama. But I'll still require it to be good.

I have told people to wait for rental instead of seeing things in the theater. Comedies, for example, that aren't screamingly funny and don't really gain anything by being on a big screen. I guess it's me saying "it's not worth the extra expense of going to the theater to see it but still worth the lower price to rent it"

it's not that simple, and I would definitely not call him an "obvious psychopath." maybe viewed through the lens of the documentary, sure, it's easily laid out for all of us to see. but for the people in his life, who loved him and wanted him to be happy, it would be much harder to see that and do what you say.

so go ahead and judge if you want I guess, I don't see the point of it nor do I think we are really in the best position to judge her actions, either.

I guess I'm probably more walled off than that, and I'm honestly a very guarded and discerning person, probably to a fault at times.

The moment someone I loved started talking about living with bears, I'm asking my doctor to hook him up with a good therapist.

This discussion has been closed.