As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I Hate [Final Fantasy] Thread: Dead like FF XIV's userbase. New thread.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    TDWH is talking about one of the Paradox Endings of XIII-2.

Wow. There are paradox endings? They went all out on this one. I am still working through the first FFXIII.

It's more like FF13-2 is a handcrafted apology for 13.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    IX moogle: Like everywhere. They ran that mail service thing. I'm also pretty sure they were save points in a lot of areas.

Literally every save point is a moogle, even on the overworld (you call a moogle with a whistle to save). That's like, the most moogle heavy game in the series as far as I can remember.

Oooooh, right, I remember that now. I should replay that at some point, but I don't own it.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

Wow. There are paradox endings? They went all out on this one. I am still working through the first FFXIII.

A short, easy handcrafted apology.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

A short, easy handcrafted apology.

Still, a step in the right direction.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What's wrong with shorter games? I mean it's not like you can blow through everything in five hours or something. It's still a substantial amount of time to finish the game, even if it's not a 100+ hour epic or whatever.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The three Graviton Core fragments available are all in regions I don't have.
    (Yaschas Mountains 100AF, Oerba 400, Sunleth 400)

Do I need to go find more Wlid Artefacts or someting?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What's wrong with shorter games? I mean it's not like you can blow through everything in five hours or something. It's still a substantial amount of time to finish the game, even if it's not a 100+ hour epic or whatever.

I agree. One of the best things about FF13-2 is that the main game was only 20-25 hours long.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    yes you need to find a wild artefact and hunt down yaschif. Go look for an area w/a gate you haven't gotten.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shorter games are fine, but I kinda felt that the game was hampered by being too easy. I mean I don't feel like I grinded or anything, but by the end I was nearly maxed out on the crystarium. Absolutely nothing was a challenge in the last 2 chapters. And as thematically awesome as the last boss was, it kinda diffuses things when you spank his ass in 2 minutes flat. The first bit, I got him down to about half life and he did the same to me. I switch to MED/MED/COM to heal up. Just before I'm finished topping up, I'm taken by surprise from the results screen. Said COM was Amodar, who upon using his chain gun in the matter for which it was designed utterly raped face with it and won me the fight. It's why I'm a bit baffled when people talk about how much of a slog they had with the same fights. Like I said, I didn't really grind at all. I was just maxed out via the CP the game just throws at you naturally.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Houn wrote: »
    I remember a dude with a tail. And a princess tomboy. And some weasel with a spear and a red hat. And Vivi. And that the plot was basically the FF movie with the one planet taking over the core of the other.

IX's plot and The Spirits Within couldn't be more different. Moogles were savepoints, man.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    XII and XIII are two of the longer mainline FF games and being an MMO XI and XIV dwarf them in average playtime (well, maybe not XIV) so it was nice to go back to a reasonable amount of time with XIII-2.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

Nothing wrong with them, I just prefer longer ones. The more important word there is easy - when you've taken the time to implement an easy mode, I'd like it if the normal difficulty presented some challenge.

ladi.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So I started up this game and am like 8ish hours in, and I'm wondering about something I hope someone can help me with. I've had a couple areas where it didn't seem like I could do everything the first time there: Bresha( ruins, I opened two gates, but there's a 3rd and near as I could tell I couldn't find it anywhere, and Sunleth Waterscape, there is a giant tomato flan that is seemingly impossible for me to kill at this point.

Is the game just designed to come back later for some of this stuff, and if so, how will I know when I should go back to bresha to find the gate that I couldn't find before? I assume the little gate icon on the historia crux not being gold means there is a gate there you need to open.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    You'll just have to swing by Bresha later to find it. It's not mandatory or anything. As far as giant flan is concerned, well yea you can't kill it now, so go explore Sunleth and find the next gate to move on. The game shouldn't get you lost.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    IX moogle: Like everywhere. They ran that mail service thing. I'm also pretty sure they were save points in a lot of areas.

Literally every save point is a moogle, even on the overworld (you call a moogle with a whistle to save). That's like, the most moogle heavy game in the series as far as I can remember.

Oooooh, right, I remember that now. I should replay that at some point, but I don't own it.

You should, as that's what I'm doing right now after finishing 13. The graphics might be a little jarring at first (especially on a big TV) but I quickly adapted and they really don't bug me at all. I found my copy on Amazon about a month ago for about $15 I think.

Just be sure to set the battle speed to "Fast" in the options. It will still feel a little slow after FF13 (especially in battles with only one party member) but it helps.

Just got to chocobo forest and holy hell, I forgot how addictive the hot and cold game is. I feel like I'm going to blow all my gil before moving on to the next story piece. It is kind of a pain with how exact you need to be while digging, but I'm still going, "Just one more..."

Although I read something interesting in that it is apparently possible to get a gold chocobo too early i.e. before you get a certain airship or something (despite the game supposedly having built-in "safeties" to prevent this). Basically, the game can bug out and break those safeties, and then when you get your gold chocobo the game skips a bunch of plot points somewhere in disc 3 and you're screwed. Glad I read up on that!

Last note is that I really like the boss music.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The battle system in FF13 is straight up stupid. I mean, I get it, I see what they were going for, but mechanically it boils down to "mash x autobattle round 1, mash x autobattle round 2. Decision point: Need healing? If yes, healing paradigm, if no, another damage paradigm. GOTO 1"

Throw in a Sab/Syn if you're on a boss.

Part of what I liked about FF games was the strategy of battle; like, oh, that boss kicked my ass with Fire magic, this time I'll equip some fire res/abs gear, cast Shell, and see if it's weak to water/ice attacks.

You're right about the music, though, it's pretty damn good throughout this game so far.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well, I was talking about FF9 with regard to the battle speed and music, sounds like there might have been some confusion there...

I actually wasn't too impressed with FF13's music. There were a couple tracks that stood out but I found a lot of it forgetful.

I feel like FF9's music is really great so far though. Part of it might be that there's not a lot of other audio going on (especially with no voice acting) so I'm sure that helps the music stand out. This game has the best chocobo music, period. Whenever I start riding a chocobo on the overworld and that ukelele kicks in...yeah, that's the stuff.

I agree regarding FF13's battle system. I really like the idea of what they were going for, I just feel like it could have been executed much better.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    The battle system in FF13 is straight up stupid. I mean, I get it, I see what they were going for, but mechanically it boils down to "mash x autobattle round 1, mash x autobattle round 2. Decision point: Need healing? If yes, healing paradigm, if no, another damage paradigm. GOTO 1"

Part of what I liked about FF games was the strategy of battle; like, oh, that boss kicked my ass with Fire magic, this time I'll equip some fire res/abs gear, cast Shell, and see if it's weak to water/ice attacks.

You're right about the music, though, it's pretty damn good throughout this game so far.

Well you're always free to turn off the auto battle and input the commands yourself if you feel it's too boring.

And I don't know how far you are, but there are enemies and bosses later on that force you to do almost exactly what you're asking. Somethings pounding you with magic attacks and is weak to ice, so you cast Shell and Enfrost on yourself and pound it right back, otherwise the fight is going to take way longer than it should because you're switching to a healing paradigm every 10 seconds.

You don't need that level of strategy for your average random fight, but to be fair no other FF game did either. And you can brute force some fights by just bouncing back and forth between damage and healing if you want to be boring like that and have a 10 minute brawl on your hands. Or you can bust out the brains and smash them in 5.

Like I said, don't know how far you are, but those fights are coming.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Using anything but Auto-Battle seems dumb, though, since the system rewards speed above all else; yes, I can manually select abilities, but there's no time to even learn what an enemy is weak to so far, and every second in the menu over the bar being full is a wasted second when I should be queueing up the next round or powershifting for free attacks.

*Edit* - I'm in chapter 5, in a big crystal forest thing with Lightning and Hope.

Houn on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I know it's the staple excuse for FFXIII, but personally, the battle system only starts to shine in the late game. It's like the whole game comes to life around 30 hours in. Once you reach The Archlyte Steppe, you know things are about to get tasty.

I mean, at their core, they never stop being "so how's this going, time to heal, time to Syn?" but they certainly become more engaging later, if that's the right word for it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular

That's pretty much what you do in every other FF game, mash buttons. I don't get this criticism AT ALL.

• Options
    Yeah, I can't deny how stupid it is that they go so long before finally giving you the full 3 man party. But once they do, the strategy portion starts to shoot up. There's just not much you can do with only 2 people. It never bothered me much personally, even when replaying the game, but I have to acknowledge the complaint.

• Options
    edited March 2012

That's pretty much what you do in every other FF game, mash buttons. I don't get this criticism AT ALL.

Comparing to FF6, my favorite FF, plenty of time is spent navigating menus to select spells/abilities, timing attacks and heals, blitz inputs, target prioritization, etc. But the battles move at a slower, manageable pace, and there's rarely any punishment for taking your time to plan out your moves. FF13, but contrast, doesn't let you control your party, the camera is constantly flying around while people run about the battlefield doing ninjaflips and shit; they're going to do whatever the fuck they want within the paradigm role assigned, and the system rewards you based on finishing a battle in seconds. Granted, I have no idea if it really matters that you get 5 stars vs 3, but everything is set up to instill the idea that you must get through this as fast as possible.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Using anything but Auto-Battle seems dumb, though, since the system rewards speed above all else; yes, I can manually select abilities, but there's no time to even learn what an enemy is weak to so far, and every second in the menu over the bar being full is a wasted second when I should be queueing up the next round or powershifting for free attacks.

*Edit* - I'm in chapter 5, in a big crystal forest thing with Lightning and Hope.

Use Libra on an enemy and all their elemental weaknesses will instantly be available by pressing RB/R1. This doesn't show all their "notes" though i.e. "Weak to slow" etc. If you just fight an enemy a few times, this stuff will get filled out and then your teammates will use the right spells while they are SAB/SYN.

I was really surprised with how much the enfire, enfrost, enthunder, etc. spells boosted damage if a monster is weak to an element. That can definitely speed up some of the longer battles.

One of the stupider things about FF13 that I haven't seen many complaints about is not getting gil from battles. Having to sell shit to get money is such a bad design choice.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Using auto battle never bothered me because 9 times out of 10 it's just picking what I would have anyways. In fact it's giving me more variety and putting on a better show by picking different attacks, whereas I'd just spam Fire over and over. But even then there were plenty of times where I'd step in and pick a better attack. During my replay, I found myself actually taking control of the synergist duties. The AI is smart, but it's not clever enough to be efficient. Many fights ended so much faster by controlling Hope and casting Bravery/En-XXX on Fang and Lightning, versus just brute force attacking. Especially if you weren't overleveled at the time.

In fact, if you bother to go for them, getting 5 stars on all the mission marks essentially requires you to think smart in order to beat the target time. If you don't, you'll still win but you only get 3 stars for your trouble.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I ended picking up AoE attacks on the latter half of the games too. The AI will try to prioritize single targets attacks most of the time (btw, one of the best changes in FF13-2!).
    Granted, I have no idea if it really matters that you get 5 stars vs 3

You have a higher chance to get rare drops if you finish a fight with a 5 star ranking.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    You get gil from monsters in 13-2, and I agree having to sell one of a handful of items for gil was stupid beyond belief. They did that in 12 as well, and it sucked there too.

Spamming Fire (or whatever) doesn't build the chain gauge as much as alternating different spells, I believe.

• Options
    Alternating elements builds chain faster against enemies with no one elemental weakness, but if an enemy is weak to fire chaining either Fire or Flamestrike is faster than autobattle which will instead alternate between the two.

ladi.png
  • Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/05/final-fantasy-xiii-2-has-two-guest-monsters-from-final-fantasy-vi/

Typhon (aka Chupon in the Super Nintendo version) will appear in Final Fantasy XIII-2′s coliseum if you purchase DLC to add him into the game. In Final Fantasy VI, players could fight Typhon in the Dragon’s Neck Coliseum to win an elixir. The real challenge was dodging snort, which blows an a character out of the encounter. Typhon also appeared in Final Fantasy VII as a summon which hit enemies with four elemental attributes.

Ultros is the other. I'm calling it now. Also, didn't someone else call this one like 3 pages back?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    A few people did. I think XoB was first. I could go check, but, eh.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, as soon as they said "FFVI" and "Coliseum", I'm pretty sure everyone knew it was going to be Typhon and Ultros

• Options
    edited March 2012
    See, it's DLC like this that I can get behind. I hope they continue adding stuff until they have literally every boss from every FF game in that damned Coliseum. Although, at that point they had better start selling bundles at a discount. ;)

Edit: Not sure if this was discussed, but Gilgamesh is also confirmed: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/29/gilgamesh-and-other-final-fantasy-villains-are-coming-to-final-fantasy-xiii-2-as-dlc/ I can't imagine it wasn't, but at this point about the only thing I can keep straight in my head are Differential Equations and Vector Calculus problems.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Also: Thought: Typhon starts the fight using Snort, blowing your monster companion away from the fight, requiring Serah and Noel to solo the fight.

• Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    Went back to my local Play'NTrade and got the FF8 disks finally.

I'm on the last part of disk 1 and so far it's been a bit of a chore

how do I make it even easier?

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    Went back to my local Play'NTrade and got the FF8 disks finally.

I'm on the last part of disk 1 and so far it's been a bit of a chore

how do I make it even easier?

Play the card game. Don't level up if you can. Grind Diablos's encounter none.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Let me expand that a bit. If you level your starting GF you'll notice you can learn abilities that let you refine magic from items. Also, Quetzacoatl lets you refine items from cards. Therefore, playing the card game (especially in Balamb were there aren't any exotic rules) can net you some high level magic with little effort.

Also, that Lamp thingie Cid gave you? If you use it as an item you trigger an encounter with a GF. It's quite handy during Disc 1 so I advise you to get it after you've done some leveling.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Mog:
    So when Mog turns out to be Etro in about 5-6 DLCs, we're allowed to toss shit at the screen, right?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    That's....that isn't even funny man.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2012
    That's....that isn't even funny man.

But you can totally see it now that I've mentioned it, can't you? It's one of those plot twists that are absurd... but the exact kind of absurd that Square Enix would just eat right the fuck on up.
    Besides, why else would he be voiced by a woman? And why else would he just keel over and die in the ending when Etro dies?

I shall iterate it:

I am calling it: Mog is either Etro, or some fragment of Etro's spirit taken form. (Etro's Will, Etro's Hope, Etro's Innocence, etc) This is going to make them tossing Mog around like a toy even more hilarious.

KiTA on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This slot machine fragment is the worst. Good thing I won a ton of coins from high stakes chronobind.

This discussion has been closed.