As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Walking Dead] RIP Season Two

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I thought it was one of the better episodes. People were actually talking about things that matter as opposed to manufactured bullshit "drama of the week" and there was a handful of good character moments. Daryl being smarter than people give him credit for and Herschel's little chat with Glenn were my favourite moments.
    I don't know what to think about Carl. He's dumb, as kids tend to be... but he also comes off as bit of a psycho. I was expecting him to knife the prisoner, he was so damn creepy.

Ninja zombie sneaking up on Dale was stupid. Ninja zombie ripping Dale's stomach open was goresome. Ninja zombie being the same zombie Carl saw in the forest could potentially lead to awesome things.

I liked it that Andrea sided with Dale during the meeting. Maybe now that he's gone, she'll start shaping up.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Zombie is stuck. In ankle deep mud. There for who knows how long. Cannot get free of mud. Even with a meal right in front of him. Super weak zombie. Poor zombie.

End of episode? SUPER ZOMBIE.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    He probably got stuck in the mud in the first place because he was walking real slow and trying out his ninja zombie stealth skills. And it paid off!

Also, Carl throws rocks like a little girl.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Yeah I thought that was a pretty great episode.

My absolute favourite thing ever was its treatment of T-Dogg though. So token it was incredible.
    Even in the scene where everybody is having their say on the important ethical issue, T-Dogg is just leaning on a wall looking pissed that doesn't have any lines.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey now, don't forget, he also got yelled at to go get the shotgun. I mean, who else could've gotten it?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The best facet of T-dogg is that his lone interrupted line is about burying Randall. Because you KNOW T-dogg is going to get stuck with that duty.

Although he's also good for a laugh whenever a tense situation comes up and someone has to say his name like tonight. I have to imagine the actors flubbed their lines from laughing so hard at trying to keep that serious.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I don't understand how anyone can say this was a great or even good episode. It was nonsense. Even for Season 2's low standard it was maddeningly stupid. I won't harp any more on it after this, but it's just such a shame to see how lousy the show has become.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It was a great episode because it had a lot of well-written character interactions.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Hey now, don't forget, he also got yelled at to go get the shotgun. I mean, who else could've gotten it?

Maybe I was projecting this onto him but I thought he looked so excited to finally get to do something. Like a puppy.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Did T-Dog say anything this episode? I remember seeing him, standing next to the fireplace.

Maybe his vocal chords have been severed.
    I'm beginning to wonder if he's been downgraded to extra status.

He's Irone Singleton, right? He's not in the fancy ass credits, just the plain ones during the ep, so...

To chime in on this being the worst. Show. Ever. I think it's absolutely fair to saw TWD doesn't live up to expectations, but c'mon. Those were pretty high. After that first trailer we got, years ago? I was fucking hyped. I was expecting gritty realistic zombie action with believable characters, and I thought that'd be the best thing ever made. This ain't that, but I find it entertaining, and it's the only one we've got, so it'll have to do, right? :P

Flip side, The Road ended up exactly like some people's vision of TWD, and I did not enjoy watching that. Not that it was bad, but if TWD was weekly doses of The Road, I would end up super depressed (way worse than regular depressed)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Sadness shouldn't stand in the way of a good show. Look at Game of Thrones.

• Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    I watch the show and laugh at the donald-duck level of stupidity and rotten luck.
    I cheer for the zombies.
    I love some characters, absolutely hate others.
    But man, watching an episode and THEN bitching about it on the intardnet is the best.
    Really, bitching about this is half the fun.

seriously for a second: I can't wrap my head around how this show swings so much from awesome to stupid.
    Some episodes are so good, they make the really bad ones stand out.
    Some characters so well written (Shane, Daryl, Andrea, Glenn), others seem to have been done by another team.
    How can quality change so much form an episode to another one?
    Now that the writers acknowledged that Lori is supposed to be a dumb bitch, I have Carl to hate with the heat of a million suns.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just when you thought T-Dog couldn't get any more token, the preview for the next ep has him yelling "Aw hell no!"

Well. At least he's saying something.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Just when you thought T-Dog couldn't get any more token, the preview for the next ep has him yelling "Aw hell no!"

Well. At least he's saying something.
    but did he ball his eyes, wiggle his index finger and move his head from side to side?
    tumblr_lbtpeuewLX1qeaje0o1_500.jpg

the_Frollo on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Carl is painfully stupid.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Actually T-dog's character has a very interesting and deep past. This will be explored in detail in the next season of the Walking Dead, making up the main subplot of the new season. For now, let it just be said that he wasn't always the taciturn, pensive man he is now.
    His medical care background, difficult life-changing choices and long journey of self discovery brought him to to a new sense of self, a profound affirmation of identity.
    He chose to reflect all of this in the name he chose for himself, Trans-Dog, shortened to T-Dog because niggas be hip.
    (this also explains a lot of his clumsiness)
    52_3_full.jpgno try to unsee it

the_Frollo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Watch your fucking spoilers.

• Options
    people have a right to know!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Seriously guys. Aw hell no? SERIOUSLY? Jesus. That's embarrassing.

That said, I sure didn't see that episode coming.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I actually tried watching The Talking Dead tonight for the first time.

Had to switch channels pretty shortly after.

Having a show about another show just seems so dumb.

"Hi, I'm Chris Hardwick, and what we just saw was awesome! Let's talk about how awesome it was!"

I've never seen such a vapid, self-serving TV vehicle whose only purpose is to do a victory lap. The talk show is also bad.

• Options
    seriously, it's weird, right?
    The same writing team gives us a Shane and then they have the only black character in the show, "T-Dog", go "Aw hell no"!?

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I actually tried watching The Talking Dead tonight for the first time.

Had to switch channels pretty shortly after.

Having a show about another show just seems so dumb.

"Hi, I'm Chris Hardwick, and what we just saw was awesome! Let's talk about how awesome it was!"

I've never seen such a vapid, self-serving TV vehicle whose only purpose is to do a victory lap. The talk show is also bad.

100% agreed

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I thought it was one of the better episodes. People were actually talking about things that matter as opposed to manufactured bullshit "drama of the week" and there was a handful of good character moments. Daryl being smarter than people give him credit for and Herschel's little chat with Glenn were my favourite moments.
    I don't know what to think about Carl. He's dumb, as kids tend to be... but he also comes off as bit of a psycho. I was expecting him to knife the prisoner, he was so damn creepy.

Ninja zombie sneaking up on Dale was stupid. Ninja zombie ripping Dale's stomach open was goresome. Ninja zombie being the same zombie Carl saw in the forest could potentially lead to awesome things.

I liked it that Andrea sided with Dale during the meeting. Maybe now that he's gone, she'll start shaping up.

Hershel was mind bogglingly annoying at first but hes grown to be one of the only characters i like

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for stupid bullshit, but these past 3 episodes are trying even my patience. I'm going to watch to the end of the season because I'm already invested this far into it, but after that, it's reevaluation time.

But you know what the worst part is? You just know the last episode is going to be balls to the walls amazing, which will convince me to keep watching. When the show is good, it's fuckin' good.

Basically this show is a textbook example of an abusive relationship. It's constantly coming home drunk and smacking me, only to bring me flowers and chocolate and convince me to stay with him.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I've stopped watching the show. Occasionally I feel like I might be missing out, but then I just come to this thread and my decision is validated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Man that was disappointing that Dale died.

I hope I get to see Daryl beat the shit out of that stupid kid again, that was about the only redeeming quality. You could tell he was just telling him shit though.
    "Oh yeah there's 30 of us."
    "Come on let me go, you can have some women to rape."
    "etc..."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    Wow someone involved with making last night's episode thought "Carl slowly walks towards death with a blank stare in his eyes" was pretty damned compelling

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    It was a great episode because it had a lot of well-written character interactions.

Hamlet had well-written character interactions. This had contrived bullshit and people acting like retards for no justifiable reason.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So, having had a full nights sleep, I've been able to judge the merits of this show and the "theres nothing else like it on TV" bit.

The art direction in this show is wonderful. all the deserted cities, the state of the zombies, and the general appearance of the characters tells me a lot about how lovingly this aspect was crafted, and I give them full credit for this.

Conceptually, I can see a lot of these characters being strong; rick undergoing the difficult transition of addapting to this new world. Dale being the voice of reason. Shane addopting a might makes right mentatllity.

Problem is, the script just falls apart, and most of the episodes are full of nothing happening. It's like watching a guy spinning his wheels in the mud for 45 minutes every sunday night.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    I enjoyed last nights episode much more than previous episodes this season. Namely episode 1-5 of this season(back in the fall).

Full episode spoilers contained within
    The episode starts with Daryl beating information out of Randall. He finds out there are a lot of people in the group he was with, they are nomadic, and the men are sadistic.

Rick decides he should be killed. Dale disagrees and begs him to hold off on it till he talks to everyone and they have a meeting. Rick agrees.

Then we get full day with Dale going around trying to convince people, with other characters also interacting. All conversations were pretty good. Dale's talk with Andrea helps keep her from turning into fem-shane.

In the mean-time the kid finds a gun in Daryl's bags, and goes of into the woods. Likely thinking he can shoot it without anyone hearing it, because he is a little kid. Stumbles into a zombie and freaks out, until he sees it is stuck and can't move. He tests it out with a couple rocks, then thinks "I wonder what it's like to kill one" and so gets into position. Naturally he fucks this up and runs home. Doesn't tell anyone because he is a little kid that was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. Multiple things he wasn't supposed to be doing.

They have the meeting. Most everyone begrudgingly decides the kid should be executed. Dale gets pissed off, scolds everyone and instills an idea within them that they are turning into the very group they are trying to hide from. Goes for a walk alone to clear his head and let off some steam. Walks into a Zombie Trap.

While that is happening Rick, Shane and Daryl go to execute the prisoner. Just as rick is about to do it, his kid shows up and tells him to pull the trigger like a psychopath. Rick decides not to do it because of this. Then they hear Dale getting killed by a zombie.

The only thing I didn't like was how Rick went back to Lori like a little bitch. Trying to explain to her why he couldn't do it right then, like he needs her approval or something. He's supposed to be the leader of the group, he should fucking have his balls drop already and just straight up tell her "I'm not executing a guy in front of my son. It'll have to happen later. And you need to fucking keep control of him when I'm doing some important shit, god damnit. Be a Mother for 2 fucking hours."

It was a good episode, with good pacing, with decent dialogue. What fucking episode did all you neck-beards watch last night?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I think thats a side effect of them stretching their season length and budget further.

The 1st season was much more tightly put together

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    It was a good episode, with good pacing, with decent dialogue. What fucking episode did all you neck-beards watch last night?

I watched the one where everyone stood around doing nothing and acted like heart-struck idiots the entire time. Which episode did you watch?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It seems like they're trying to milk the IP rights of this show. People love zombie media, so, let's make this last 7 seasons.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I actually liked:
    Many of Dale's conversations with people. I felt like he finally had some great scenes, and people acted semi-realistically.

Herschel and Glenn.

I really hated:
    -Carl. Truly his mothers son. Just shit writing for him this week.
    -writers seemed to want the make the kid come from an impossibly evil group, while simultaneously wanting us to care what happens to him for some reason. When people are debating whether or not they can trust you, maybe leave the rape-fest stories for another time.
    -Ninja zombie was dumb. All you had to do to provide some sound cover is make the half-eaten cow do some suffering moo. Instead it's dead silent when the zombie attacks.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I watched the one where everyone stood around doing nothing and acted like heart-struck idiots the entire time. Which episode did you watch?

I watched an episode where a member of their group tries to keep a young man from being executed. we get more, and better, conversations than episodes prior combined. We find out a little more about Daryl, Carol and Andrea and what makes them who they are and how they think. We see how bad of a mother lori is again, and get to see a kid being a kid. And finally a group meeting where one person pleads to keep a piece of what makes them a good group to be apart of in-tact, standing up to a bunch of people that either just want murder someone or stick their heads in the ground and try to ignore it.

I guess you're a hard-ass robotic thinking machine that has read every post-apocalyptic strategy guide written, and therefore are immune to human empathy and know exactly what should be done in any given situation.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    What fucking episode did all you neck-beards watch last night?
    I watched one where an issue that's been floating around for 3 weeks wasn't resolved.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Really hoping Herschel giving Glenn his watch isn't forshadowing Herschel's demise. The old guy has grown on me. Seems like a good Dale replacement too.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My speculation for what happens to Randall:
    He dies without the group having to do anything. Maybe zombies attack or his group attacks the farm and he gets killed by the them.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Okay. Just because you don't like the show (and if not, why the fuck are you on the internet wasting your precious time posting about it?), it still is not okay to spoil major plot events. I don't care if you don't understand why someone doesn't hate the show as much as you do. Seriously. Be cool. Don't spoil it.

I actually liked several parts of this episode a lot.
    Carl's actions actually made sense to me. You might not have been paying attention to his character for the duration of the series, but the entirety of his actions have involved him growing up fast in ways that terrified Rick. He's learning about the world in a completely fucked up way, and throwing rocks at a zombie is completely in-character with a kid trying to push past the artificial, unrealistic cocoon that his parents are trying to weave around him.

People suggesting that they could have cut out Dale's conversations... no. Just no. The entire point was to send Dale off in a manner befitting his character. He represented humanity and civility. The fact that he swayed Andrea at the end was important. His conversation with Shane was actually kinda great; Shane admitted that Dale had guts and wouldn't go rogue on Randall's execution if the group decided against it (which... well, it's not a guarantee that he wouldn't [or won't]).

Glenn and Herschell's scene was totally awesome. Not only did Herschell expunge the stain of his Old Guy Racism, but he gave Glenn an heirloom pocket watch, along with his blessing. Pocket watches are neat.

I didn't like how Dale's death was handled. The swamp zombie's ninja skills were a little implausible, especially how incompetant most zombies are presented as being.

T-Dog is just getting embarassing. One line. One, about gravedigging no less, and he's interrupted to boot. I hope the writers realize this and have something awesome for him to do soon.

The slower pace of this episode actually befits its place in the season. There was a huge action sequence last week, and there are only two episodes left in the season. If they were to take a breath and have a more character-based episode, now was the time (as opposed to the first half of the season, which were practicallly hyperventilating with the number of breaths they took between action sequences).

Anyway, a little less hyperbole on this forum might be nice.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I was actually happy
    to see Dale bite it. All his morality speaches were getting old. Especially the "If we do this then the world we knew is gone forever!" bullshit. You live in a post-apocolyptic world infested with the walking flesh eating dead. Your world is already gone, shape up for the new one or die horribly. Dale may have been the moral compass of the group, yet that moral compass was an albetross in the new reality they are faced with. He would have been long dead without the very people he hated, the Shanes and the Daryls, whose ruthlessness allowed him to keep his idealistic bullshit. He didn't want to live in their world, and now he won't.

So I cheered at that part. But the constant inconsistancy of characters really is grating on me, making previously cool things pointless. Rick is stone cold when taking down Sofia, but in the last episode had to yeild the floor to Daryl when he lost his balls again. I really wisht he writers would get their shit together and have character progression stay progressed, instead of flip flopping the characters all over the place.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.