As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    EDIT EDIT: Crunchbang no longer comes in a xfce flavor, fwiw.

Ah, thanks for the heads up.

I haven't tried Cinnamon yet. I'm waiting for them to fix things and re-implement how the Mint Menu used to be. If this 'bounce' you speak of is anything like E17's, yeah, I get what you mean. Sometimes I think these devs go a bit overboard with their effects, just to show they can. Wobbly windows? Really?

It's kind of too bad that Ubuntu and Mint are getting all experimental on us. I'm not normally a fan of OpenSUSE, but it's almost to the point where that's going to need to be the go-to newb distro.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Okay, my wife said I could dual-boot Ubuntu on her netbook so I put it on there and it's running fine. I also put openbox and fluxbox on there and I'm messing around with them. Openbox's menu at the moment has almost nothing in it, just the terminal, web browser, and the openbox config program. Is there a way to add applications and such to it?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    obmenu in a shell.

I actually found obmenu shortly after posting that, thanks. What's a shell?

JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2012
    The shell is what a terminal / terminal emulator 'connects' to. It runs programs and interprets commands from the command line, basically. Bash (Bourne Again Shell) is the most popular.

Incidentally, you'll also find important Openbox files in ~/.config/openbox. If they're missing, look in /etc/xdg/openbox and copy menu.xml, autostart (it used to be called autostart.sh) and rc.xml to ~/.config/openbox. Assuming there isn't already stuff in there, I mean.

menu.xml is the right-click menu (you can manually add stuff with a text editor if you want, just observe the syntax, you'll figure it out), autostart autostarts stuff, and rc.xml is... well, I just use it for keyboard shortcuts. I don't know what else it does, but it looks like it's got other stuff in there.

If you use autostart, make sure to include an & at the end of all the commands so they don't lock shit up. Here's mine, for example:
    xset mouse 5 2 &
    nitrogen --restore &
    pypanel &

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    If you use openbox and don't use tint2 you are doing it wrong.

tint2 looks pretty neat, I'll mess around with it at some point after I'm done fucking around with openbox's menus.

JtgVX0H.png
    Hmmm. I guess it's time for some news.

KWin (KDE's compositing backend) may drop support for AMD Catalyst drivers. Looks like I picked a good time to switch to NVidia.

Future Flash in Linux goes (effectively) Chrome-only. Meh.

Ubuntu (actual, real Ubuntu) on smart phones. This is pretty neat in theory.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    Seeks wrote: »

I hope this Flash shit dies suddenly. Like, PAFF and it goes away.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Oh Adobe, you magnificent bastards.

Just fucking open source the thing and you'll keep it from relevant on all platforms for years to come.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I finally installed a Linux on my main desktop - Linux Mint 12.

First impressions are, the full Gnome Shell is buggy as hell, but Gnome Classic works just fine.

I'm really not a fan of this tendency to put ridiculous dependencies in for basic functions though - the Gnome "Aero snap" like functionality really shouldn't depend on pulling in a UI which needs a whole OpenGL stack to work. It's just not that complicated.

EDIT: Next up, setting up a ZFS on Linux root filesystem so I can have easy Linux containers.

electricitylikesme on
  • centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    I guess I'll ask this here since I don't want to make a new thread for it. I'm planning on using
    parttool (hdX,Y) boot+

in GRUB2 to mark a partition active. Will this permanently make a change to the MBR? ie. When I restart, will this partition still be marked as the active partition?

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I guess I'll ask this here since I don't want to make a new thread for it. I'm planning on using
    parttool (hdX,Y) boot+

in GRUB2 to mark a partition active. Will this permanently make a change to the MBR? ie. When I restart, will this partition still be marked as the active partition?

Pretty sure you have to tell GRUB to write the config to the MBR, it's not automatic. The call escapes me, but it's something like grubconfig, or configgrub, or something along those lines.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    So I finally installed a Linux on my main desktop - Linux Mint 12.

First impressions are, the full Gnome Shell is buggy as hell, but Gnome Classic works just fine.

I'm really not a fan of this tendency to put ridiculous dependencies in for basic functions though - the Gnome "Aero snap" like functionality really shouldn't depend on pulling in a UI which needs a whole OpenGL stack to work. It's just not that complicated.

EDIT: Next up, setting up a ZFS on Linux root filesystem so I can have easy Linux containers.

Gnome Shell largely works just fine on my wimpy ATi Radeon HD card in Ubuntu. The screensaver has a glitch on multiple monitors where it would paint black over the password box, but that was about it.

Are you sure it's not your drivers? I initially had a lot of issues with the expose feature and switching desktops until I installed an XOrg driver update or two.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think it may have been fixed in the last month or so, but using Raedon proprietary drivers (and the ones that you can install using the latest Ubuntu driver installer) caused Gone Shell to explode for quite a while.

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    parttool (hdX,Y) boot+

Pretty sure you have to tell GRUB to write the config to the MBR, it's not automatic. The call escapes me, but it's something like grubconfig, or configgrub, or something along those lines.

Thanks. That should hopefully work then. I'm going to be doing some crazy chain loading and Windows 8 bootloader seems to be particularly stubborn, so I'm betting it wouldn't be able to tolerate Windows not being the active drive.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
    edited March 2012
    Deleted my Windows partition a few days ago. Let's do this.
    (The fact that most of the Windows games I care about now work under Wine plays a role in this)

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    Two new game-related updates:

1: Wasteland 2 has a kickstarter page, if you didn't know: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Anyone who donates $15+ gets a DRM-free copy of the game. If they make it to $1.5 million, they'll also do Mac and Linux versions, and so far they're at $1.3 million. So uh, you know... go donate.

2: New Humble Indie Bundle is out: http://www.humbledundle.com

Same deal as always. Check out the link to see the games.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    Well, I've been dicking around with Ubuntu off and on for a long time and always wanted to love it, but spent too much time configging stuff that shouldn't be broken out of the box. I just tried Linux Mint and holy wow, this is what I've been looking for. I love it. Everything works!

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I think it may have been fixed in the last month or so, but using Raedon proprietary drivers (and the ones that you can install using the latest Ubuntu driver installer) caused Gone Shell to explode for quite a while.

That's not fixed yet. You still have to download/compile from ATI to get it working, and I didn't have any success with that either. This was with a Radeon HD5450 card. On my other box with an nVidia GPU it was smoove sailing.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    Are any of you guys familiar with a good mp3 player that comes with a radio and is Linux friendly? Because I don't think the crypto that Apple put on the ipod nano 6th gen is ever getting cracked.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I decided to try a linux distro on an old desktop that has been sitting idle since I got my new compy. I put Kubuntu on it first, figuring it would be pretty newb-friendly, but it wasn't running that well. It was kinda slow, and the muon package manager crashed a few times. Then it stopped recognising my network card which made things difficult.

So I cut that shit out and put Xubuntu on it. I'm quite liking it so far, actually. I don't intend to use this box for much than experimenting with a new OS, but I do like the Xubuntu interface. Simple, fast, basic. I'm hunting around for fun programs that I can mess with to help get my GNU-Linux skills in order.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    Solvent wrote: »
    I decided to try a linux distro on an old desktop that has been sitting idle since I got my new compy. I put Kubuntu on it first, figuring it would be pretty newb-friendly, but it wasn't running that well. It was kinda slow, and the muon package manager crashed a few times. Then it stopped recognising my network card which made things difficult.

So I cut that shit out and put Xubuntu on it. I'm quite liking it so far, actually. I don't intend to use this box for much than experimenting with a new OS, but I do like the Xubuntu interface. Simple, fast, basic. I'm hunting around for fun programs that I can mess with to help get my GNU-Linux skills in order.

If you're up for it I also recommend Lubuntu.

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »

If you're up for it I also recommend Lubuntu.

I always hoped that Lubuntu is a Lu Bu branded ubuntu flavor.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    edited April 2012
    I've been trying out Mint 12 on my new-ish laptop; I was running Firefox, Rhythmbox and two terminals. The machine got so hot things started to slow down.

Are newer of the kernel getting better about power management?

august on
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    Nope.

Just managed to get the latest ATI drivers installed to see if that helps with temps. This is the first time I've had them work successfully with Gnome Shell. Seems to be working great so far.

And by "works great" I apparently mean that the framerate is way worse but it doesn't heat up as much. The drivers outright didn't break gnome though, so that's an improvement.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Are newer of the kernel getting better about power management?

There was a fix a few months back that fixed a serious power usage regression (in sandy bridge chipsets I think?). It was fixed in the 3.3 kernel maybe?

I'm not sure what version of the kernel mint 12 uses.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Just put a beefy new server in at our parent company's data-center. It's running a VM for backup services we provide, and VM for web/db stuff. Both VM's are running Arch and I could not be happier.

I feel like a happy little clam with my Box of Powerful Hardware and a lightweight yet versatile OS. I kinda feel guilty, because we're not going to be able to come close to maxing out the power that box has (and it's not even a top-of-the-line box).

edited April 2012
    So I installed Mint Debian with gnome and a liquorix kernel from repo.

I accidentally installed linux-image-3.3.0-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64. Can someone explain what "dmz" means in this context? Should I just go with the vanilla one?

august on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    So, my lovely Ubunti 10 LTS web server (apache, mysql, php etc) recently had a bit of a problem with being hacked. Anyway, so I've managed to scrape it back to health, but our 1337 friend, in his haste to cover his tracks, deleted everything with the word log in it. Across the entire drive.

Any ideas how I can fix things like logrotate and /var/log/ being completely missing?

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't understand the design changes in GRUB2. Before there was just a textfile to change the boot entries. Now each entry has basicaly an config file itself I am not allowed to edit. Where can I rearrange the menu entries?

This change would make sense if there are hundreds of complex entries. But most users have 3 OSes at most on a actual machine.

Dratatoo on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I actually have a legitimate use for linux finally

I need to run a redis server locally

so I put ubuntu on my old laptop

runs like a champ

except I am paranoid about leaving my laptop plugged in 24/7

ben0207 wrote: »
    So, my lovely Ubunti 10 LTS web server (apache, mysql, php etc) recently had a bit of a problem with being hacked. Anyway, so I've managed to scrape it back to health, but our 1337 friend, in his haste to cover his tracks, deleted everything with the word log in it. Across the entire drive.

Any ideas how I can fix things like logrotate and /var/log/ being completely missing?

Uh...wipe everything?

If you've been compromised that badly, then you have no way of ensuring the box is safe. Strict procedure is a bare-metal restore from a fresh BIOS. That's probably going too far, but the easiest thing to do is going to be to backup the configuration files you customized, data, and then wipe the machine and reinstall.

Otherwise you're going to be fixing little broken things for a while, and you'll never know if it's secure.

What was the entry point, incidentally?

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    Accidentally left the root account enabled over the weekend, got bruteforced by some pwned box in spain.

Going to do a wipe and restore to 12.04 LTS this weekend. Balls.

ben0207 wrote: »
    Accidentally left the root account enabled over the weekend, got bruteforced by some pwned box in spain.

Going to do a wipe and restore to 12.04 LTS this weekend. Balls.

Yikes.

On another topic:

Does anyone know why pppd seems to be utterly useless at running the ip-up.d scripts?

I'm using my Ubuntu Linux box as a firewall/router, but I just cannot get DynDNS to reliably update. My ISP renumbers my address on a 12 - 24 hour cycle, but pppd doesn't seem to fire the ddclient script in the directory.

If I login manually and run it from the command line it works fine, but it never seems to fire when the IP address actually changes.

Am I missing something? Does something different happen if my IP address changes as opposed to I get disconnected/reconnected.

How reliable is the source?

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    How reliable is the source?
    Reported on finding Linux-specific stuff in the OSX version of Steam (and there was related bits on the Steam depot), but Valve denied that.

This time he took a trip to Valve's offices, they're primarily testing L4D2 as the first port, and then there is stuff like this job position which lists one of the responsibilities of "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." And they are supposed to be hiring for that stuff.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru