As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] The PAX East 2012 International Food Exchange (now with Retsin!)

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    And if anyone can get their hands on some good black licorice I know my fiance would appreciate it and be more than happy to poke me forcefully in the head until I relinquished Tasty Cakes and Ketchup Chips.

Have you tried either of these? Not sure if they're regional or not..?
    Panda Black Licorice
    Kookuburra Black Licorice

I've never seen those around here, I myself enjoy licorice, just no the black licorice.... Her favorite is from this candy shop at the farmers market called "Double Salt" its precisely what it sounds like. Salty Black Licorice.

• damagedselfdamagedself Registered User new member
    I'm flying over from Singapore so if there's anything I can contribute, let me know. As long as it's reasonably within my range. Also, how are we going to meet up and exchange all the foodstuffs? Sorry, it's my first convention so I'm rather unfamiliar with the procedure.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Her favorite is from this candy shop at the farmers market called "Double Salt" its precisely what it sounds like. Salty Black Licorice.

OMG! I love salt licorice!!! It's totally a Swedish thing (saltlakrits). You clearly have good taste in women.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I can bring some of these if anyone is interested: http://googoo.com/products/the-original

I only learned about these when I moved to Nashville, TN recently. They are delicious.

EDIT: They contain peanuts.

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    question, i know we still have a month and i have yet to buy any thing to trade but i mean ... do we have a meet up place to hang out what day time and so on do we expect?

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Generally you just make arrangements with the person/people with whom you're trading.

HI3789R.png
    o i thought this was some sort of group meet up

• vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    I thought this was some sort of group meet up, too. I think it would be fun for us just to have a mountain of regional food and we can go crazy trying stuff, pick favorites, get to know where each other is from, and so on.

If there's interest, let's make it happen! :o

Earlier is probably always better for food. . .Thursday night for maximum freshness? Friday at lunch time?

vicechan wrote: »
    I thought this was some sort of group meet up, too. I think it would be fun for us just to have a mountain of regional food and we can go crazy trying stuff, pick favorites, get to know where each other is from, and so on.

If there's interest, let's make it happen! :o

Earlier is probably always better for food. . .Thursday night for maximum freshness? Friday at lunch time?

yeah i vote for friday i would go to a few shops in my area and buy what i could since my work has some typical britt candy like toffe crisp, aero's , lion bars and such then we have stuff like yan yans and pocky then i know a place that has ramune and chocorooms then i was thinking of bringing some soda oddities like chocolate sodas, i can get one that tastes like a tootsi roll and another that is a chocolate egg cream

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yeah if you guys want to set something up go for it. I'm 1) busy with some other events, and B) kinda shit at planning such things. Just let me know the info and I'll pop it in the OP.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    Yeah if you guys want to set something up go for it. I'm 1) busy with some other events, and B) kinda shit at planning such things. Just let me know the info and I'll pop it in the OP.

yeah ill go to a meet up but last thing i want to do is plan it

I can plan it, but I want a mutually agreeable time/location. No sense planning something that 3 people will go to. ;) I'll take a look at the schedule in the next couple days and see when a dead-ish period is.

Thursday after Pokecrawl almost sounds awesome, too. . .nothing like working off too much to drink with noms. XD

I can plan it, but I want a mutually agreeable time/location. No sense planning something that 3 people will go to. ;) I'll take a look at the schedule in the next couple days and see when a dead-ish period is.

Thursday after Pokecrawl almost sounds awesome, too. . .nothing like working off too much to drink with noms. XD

i would say friday for sure and see what time the least amount of big panels are happening anjd odds are around lunch time ... i know at 1-2 i'll be at the rooster teeth panel

i am local but i dont have a hotel room so i cant travel to boston just for trading since i take a train and a bus to get in

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Ok so... I feel bad for not bringing Tim Bits anymore but I really want to participate.

Punzie: I'll bring you a few Coffee Crisp Bars
    Tycho is said to love Caramilk bars so I'll bring a few as well

Everyone else:
    I'll bring an assortment of Aeros, Smarties, Coffee Crsisps and Canadian version Kit Kats. I'm also adding a box of Maple Dare cookies. I'll just wing it from there and see if anyone has stuff for trade, but as I mentioned earlier I'm a sucker for chips myself. I also verified that I do have access to All Dress Ruffles and various Ketchup type chips (one was "Spicy Ketchup at least") so if that's something I should add to my bag please say so.

Damn I'm going to be the Santa of bad foods.

My plan is to pass these along, not necessary as exchanges, and hopefully while I play games of the table top variety.

There, I said it, internet is go.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Unless you are picking up one of those Nestle multipacks, skip the Kit Kats. I tried one in Seattle and it tasted no different.

If I had the room I would bring some Canadian Oreos, as they are completely different from the US ones.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    If I had the room I would bring some Canadian Oreos, as they are completely different from the US ones.

Why, are they filled with cats?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    Unless you are picking up one of those Nestle multipacks, skip the Kit Kats. I tried one in Seattle and it tasted no different.

That was the plan at first but I can't seem to find that multi pack anymore. I bought one last year and just distributed the contents around, which provided great success. I got some extra swag from the MTG booth after passed some around to all the participants (we were testing Archenemey)

I just read I should be planning for exchanges though... So if anyone is interested in something that I listed just raise your hands and make an offer.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Frugus wrote: »
    Ok so... I feel bad for not bringing Tim Bits anymore but I really want to participate.

Punzie: I'll bring you a few Coffee Crisp Bars
    Tycho is said to love Caramilk bars so I'll bring a few as well

Everyone else:
    I'll bring an assortment of Aeros, Smarties, Coffee Crsisps and Canadian version Kit Kats. I'm also adding a box of Maple Dare cookies. I'll just wing it from there and see if anyone has stuff for trade, but as I mentioned earlier I'm a sucker for chips myself. I also verified that I do have access to All Dress Ruffles and various Ketchup type chips (one was "Spicy Ketchup at least") so if that's something I should add to my bag please say so.

Damn I'm going to be the Santa of bad foods.

My plan is to pass these along, not necessary as exchanges, and hopefully while I play games of the table top variety.

There, I said it, internet is go.

i want to try the Canadian smarties ... also if you coming from Canada BRING POUTINE

O i was at the store and grabed 2 ramune, 2 botan rice candies and 2 chocorooms ... but ate one of each lol

also if you coming from Canada BRING POUTINE

It doesn't really travel well.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth

You beat me to it.

Heck, it barely survives take out within 10 minutes distance.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • THE NINESTHE NINES Registered User regular
    Coming from New Brunswick, home of the maple tree (they're literally everywhere its a problem), and its maple season.

Fresh maple syrup, fresh maple fudge or our local microbrewery's seasonal favorite Maple Cream Ale by Picaroons? http://eastcoastliving.ca/2011/03/picaroons-maple-cream-ale/

"Edamame?! You know, Soy BEANS?! Well if you dont have it why is it ON THE BOARD?! TAKE IT OFF THE BOARD!!" -Edamame Enforcer

lol i know i had to say it though, ever since i started watching epic meal time and all gen gamers pod cast i have been having the biggest urge to get poutine, but i would settle on finding just the gravy, buying my own curds and buying some good french fries and making my own

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    THE NINES wrote: »
    Coming from New Brunswick, home of the maple tree (they're literally everywhere its a problem), and its maple season.

Fresh maple syrup, fresh maple fudge or our local microbrewery's seasonal favorite Maple Cream Ale by Picaroons? http://eastcoastliving.ca/2011/03/picaroons-maple-cream-ale/
    That Maple Cream Ale sounds delish.

edited March 2012

Forget the Americans, I want some maple fudge.

Oh wait I can buy that here.

Nevermind...

Edit: They don't ship Maple Cream Ale outside NB :(

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    That Maple Cream Ale does sound amazing. And what are Canadian Oreos like? *.*

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    So, is there anything from the US that you outlanders would like to receive? Have we no snackable noms that you have yet to experience? I'd like to get my hands on some Irn Bru.

So I picked up a box of Coffee Crisps for @punzie. I thought I'd stop there, since I need room for things like clothes. However Costco just brought these out.

124.jpg

I think I may have to pick up a box of these for Easter.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    So I picked up a box of Coffee Crisps for @punzie. I thought I'd stop there, since I need room for things like clothes.

Clothes are overrated ;)

HI3789R.png
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Nines, by Uttering "Maple Fudge and Maple Ale" You have summoned me. For I enjoy all things Maple. Especially Maple Candy.

Are you going to bring some of that random flavored candy you brought to prime the one year that snifit wouldnt shut up about?

ZeroHourHero on

O.O
    Oh how I wish you could get these to me in time to bake them into my cookies! I think I'll be requesting some of these from you. I'm also trying to decide if I'm brave enough to try Japancakes with "durian cream" (man, that sounds nasty).

HI3789R.png
  • AtallaAtalla Registered User regular
    @chaosisorder Okay grape/peach, Orange/mango oreos....can I request some of them from u??? I would love to try them. Anything from Hawaii I could interest u in?

So I picked up a box of Coffee Crisps for @punzie. I thought I'd stop there, since I need room for things like clothes. However Costco just brought these out.

124.jpg

I think I may have to pick up a box of these for Easter.

They Look yummy...u know its Easter weekend too.

edited March 2012

Those Oreos and Japan Pancakes look amazing. Please to be bringing. :D

-

OKAY EVERYONE. How does 2:00 PM on Friday at the Queue/Food Court, sound for anyone who wants to meet up and share a massive pile of international food?

vicechan on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    O.O
    Oh how I wish you could get these to me in time to bake them into my cookies! I think I'll be requesting some of these from you. I'm also trying to decide if I'm brave enough to try Japancakes with "durian cream" (man, that sounds nasty).

I will admit the Chocolate Japancakes were kind of gross. Take that to mean the durian ones might actually kill you.

I'll grab extra oreos tomorrow :)

A Friday 2:00 meeting would be peachy-grape-oreo for me!

• rascalrascal Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out what to bring -- we're from Boston, so I've got nothing exotic to offer. I could make matzoh brittle...

I will admit the Chocolate Japancakes were kind of gross. Take that to mean the durian ones might actually kill you.

I'll grab extra oreos tomorrow :)

A Friday 2:00 meeting would be peachy-grape-oreo for me!

I like not death.

Durian is never my first choice. . .

More takers for Friday at 2:00? Let's make this happen! :)

Friday at 2pm...anyone want anything from Hawaii????

Coffee Crisp sounds amazing. So do these All Dressed Up Chips. I'm so excited about this. :D Thanks for bringing the Berger, adastra!
    Frugus wrote: »

For everyone else - what is the most insane chip like thing that you think is exclusive to the US? Do want.

The most insane chip that I can think of that is probably US exclusive are these Herr's Baby Back Ribs chips. They taste like ribs. *_* I'm not even a big rib fan, but these are pretty fantastic. I can see if I can track some down. . .

Late to the party I know, but would that exchange offer still be on the table? Aside from the obvious Poutine and Tim Bits, what would I be able to offer in return?

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png