As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: Monday, March 5th - Configuration

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited March 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-dvZsXgB-X2.jpg

Tube on

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    And this is how his fanfic writing career began.

• roguewriterroguewriter Registered User regular
    Where did the Gay Sex go, sir? Same place the Endings went, down the crapper. Way to go Mac Walters...

• AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I love how angry Tycho is in the second panel that he didn't get a graphic depiction of man-sex.

Having seen the video... at least there's more content than any of the non-Miranda scenes from ME2?

I understand that specifically acknowledging gay relationships has a significant social context. I still find it hard to get worked up about a disappointing culmination for the light dating sim is in my sci-fi adventure. Unlike a particularly loud portion of the fan base, given how much emphasis the PR machine puts on the relationship thing.

See: not showing Tali's face in ME2 and the Bioware forums response. Actually, don't see the Bioware forums. No good can come of that.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I like how Tycho is so pleased with his own response in the third panel.

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    The newspost is really damn funny. It managed to top the comic for sure, and that's not easy.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    In Mass Effect 2 I romanced Jacob with my FemShep. I'm a dude in real life. I felt a little bit as though I were having some gay sex, simply because I was seducing a man. It was a weird experience to be sure.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In Mass Effect 2 I romanced Jacob with my FemShep. I'm a dude in real life. I felt a little bit as though I were having some gay sex, simply because I was seducing a man. It was a weird experience to be sure.

I've never considered myself homophobic, but fear of the situation you describe has driven my FemShep to say some real nasty things to potential suitors. Amazing what you can learn about yourself from these fancy Bioware games.

• MegalomaniageekMegalomaniageek Registered User regular
    Anosognos wrote: »
    Having seen the video... at least there's more content than any of the non-Miranda scenes from ME2?

I understand that specifically acknowledging gay relationships has a significant social context. I still find it hard to get worked up about a disappointing culmination for the light dating sim is in my sci-fi adventure. Unlike a particularly loud portion of the fan base, given how much emphasis the PR machine puts on the relationship thing.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I like complaints about clear double standards: there is heterosexual romance but no gay romance, or there is lesbian romance (that can be marketed to straight men) but not male gay romance, and hypothetically here or in actual other cases, there is explicit heterosexual/lesbian romance but only very tame gay romance. I don't see that last argument holding water here based on the scene I saw and what I know of the previous games (I haven't seen the Miranda romance scene though, to be fair - my male Shep goes for Tali and I never had the desire to look Miranda's up on Youtube).
    I also think there's a difference between being pleased with progress and being content with progress. That is, we can pat Mass Effect 3 on the back for being a huge mainstream game that has a main character beloved by lots of straight dudebros who can now canonically have sex with guys and acknowledge that that is something big based on where we are as a society. It does not mean we have to then dust our hands off and decide that's the end of gay rights progress in video games, and that all problematic representation of gay men in games is now fixed forever.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

No man Fem shep is pretty damn agressive w ith Jacob. I don't know if that was on purpose or what but her posture and tone when talking to him especially if you romance him is freaky.
    Where did the Gay Sex go, sir? Same place the Endings went, down the crapper. Way to go Mac Walters...
    Maybe play the game first? Honestly after reading the rants about the endings nobody has actually said how you get any of them leading me to assume nobody knows the context leading up to them. So complaining about them is like saying I saw the ending to the Sixth sense before I watched the movie or even read a summary and decrying it for not making sense.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am outraged at Bioware for putting a male homosexual relationship in this game..... and then NOT showing us the delicious copulation with juices flying about, wild heaving thrusting, the inhumanly loud moans penetrating the walls of the ship, all the crew members standing around awkwardly as they are forced to listen to that hot hot man love.

Black_Heart on
  • roguewriterroguewriter Registered User regular

No man Fem shep is pretty damn agressive w ith Jacob. I don't know if that was on purpose or what but her posture and tone when talking to him especially if you romance him is freaky.
    Maybe play the game first? Honestly after reading the rants about the endings nobody has actually said how you get any of them leading me to assume nobody knows the context leading up to them. So complaining about them is like saying I saw the ending to the Sixth sense before I watched the movie or even read a summary and decrying it for not making sense.

There are a couple of good streams up now of the entire game being played. I've watched a solid Paragon playthrough and if the "Good" ending is terrible and freaking depressing as all hell how bad are the, well, "bad" endings? Normally, most ME hate is Trolling; this time around, though, it's pretty valid. It's just baffling what they did. It *kinda* feels like they abandoned the Action Adventure Science Fiction epic (i.e. Star Wars) angle out of no-where and tried to go for the Oscar with this strange, sudo Art-House would be philosophical ending.

• scyldscyld Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I, too, am outraged at Bioware.

This isn't even enough to get it halfway up, even if I do appreciate the way the shadow-alien being caresses Shepherd's chest.

(Wait, that wasn't a shadow-alien being? That was just a very poorly rendered guy with dark skin?

Well, now I know of one person who would never be recognized by Kinect...)

scyld on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

My FemShep seduced the fuck out of Thane. He was like a scaly green Batman. Who kills people.

• FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    In panel two, Tycho's fingers are their legs.

"That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • scyldscyld Registered User regular
    In panel two, Tycho's fingers are their legs.

That's because he had just pulled his pants up in disappointment and disgust from the lack of p 'n a.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeh this kind of reminded me of something that happened a few months ago. I have been playing Dragon Age on and off for a while, and my friends from seattle were over, so I wanted to show them what DA was like and the character I had built. As usual, my first char was a female redhead, a mage in this case, and she was in the camp hanging out. I walked over to the nun chick, whom I had been quite friendly to in an attempt to extract a backstory out of her, and I was hoping maybe at this point she would open up.

She did, but not in the way I was expecting. She actually started hitting on me, or something. And then I had to awkwardly explain to my friends that this was not my intention.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    The Captain's seat. Nice. :^:

• BrewBrew Registered User regular
    The last panel reminds me of Doonesbury.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

There are a couple of good streams up now of the entire game being played. I've watched a solid Paragon playthrough and if the "Good" ending is terrible and freaking depressing as all hell how bad are the, well, "bad" endings? Normally, most ME hate is Trolling; this time around, though, it's pretty valid. It's just baffling what they did. It *kinda* feels like they abandoned the Action Adventure Science Fiction epic (i.e. Star Wars) angle out of no-where and tried to go for the Oscar with this strange, sudo Art-House would be philosophical ending.

You...have played Bioshock 2 right?

I mean, why are we shocked? I haven't played it yet, but I'm going into this expecting a 100% chance of Big Daddy style death scene at the end.

Look, if you're watching the endings without playing the game, you have no sense of agency over the game, you don't feel like you're the one in charge, like it's your story, and the ending will have no impact on you. So, play the game, then watch the ending you got, and do it the right way. Bioshock 2 had similar endings, but playing through the game, it was the first ending of a game to actually get close to moving me to tears.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I scooched my pants halfway down for this?!?!
    I lol'd at that.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I scooched my pants halfway down for this?!?!
    I lol'd at that.

• holokaustosholokaustos Registered User new member
    I know it's just his shirt, but I did a double-take at Gabe in the last panel: it looks like he has boobies. lol

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I know it's just his shirt, but I did a double-take at Gabe in the last panel: it looks like he has boobies. lol
    Like the Feb 8 comic "Mum's the Word"? Maybe it's becoming a theme. *grin*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    Any gay guy worth his salt is playing Mass Effect as a sassy black lady anyway.

• FCDFCD Registered User regular
    It definitely sounds disappointing that they didn't go as far as they could with the homosexual male romantic encounter, but I imagine if they had made it any more explicit, the game would have been branded with the AO label, given current cultural attitudes. I hate that such socio-economic outside factors can dictate game content like that.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!