As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    This year's costumes all sound amazing. I'm glad we're getting such a big variety. Really need to get to work on finishing the text box for mine a fake rose for the Ouran Host Club outfit.

• azimedesazimedes Registered User new member
    Tango wrote: »
    LinkSmash wrote:
    What if...the "weapon" is attached to your costume like it's something that's part of a holster and it can't be removed otherwise, like it's not complete as in it's not a whole piece gun, just made to look as such?

Well, let's see, here:

"A COSTUME WEAPON IS NOT PERMITTED AT PAX IF:
    - It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)"

Note that I don't specify whether it's in or out of a holster, or attached to a holster, or anything like that. ;-) Therefore, I'm sorry, that wouldn't be okay.

@KellyShepard087 - I think a cosplayers' meetup would be a great idea! I always miss all these neat costumes that I only see pics of later. (No, I wouldn't be attending so I could try and throw people out for policy violations! ;) )

I just wanna clarify the whole firearms thing--I've never been to PAX and I'm seeing you guys are really strict about this one. We have a person in our costume group that has two guns that accompany her costume--she's been modding the heck out of them with paperclay and plans to keep the orange on the barrel to show it's a toy gun. After reading through all this I suggested to her she see if she can take apart the toy gun and remove its trigger entirely as well. Would something like this be acceptable or would it be better to just not bring them? And since you mentioned bows--a costume I plan to bring has one. I won't string it, and the arrows I have on me are non-functional--they're literally glued to the inside of the quiver. XD; Is that cool?

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Unless I'm mistaken, (I'm mistaken) it's not really the PA team or the Enforcers you have to worry about; it's the convention center security. PAX East #1 was at the Hynes Convention Center, which seemed to be more lenient on this matter. The BCEC crew is a lot more strict, not just on toy weapons, but on things like scantily-clad costumes.

wonderpug on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, it's not really the PA team or the Enforcers you have to worry about; it's the convention center security. PAX East #1 was at the Hynes Convention Center, which seemed to be more lenient on this matter. The BCEC crew is a lot more strict, not just on toy weapons, but on things like scantily-clad costumes.

The E security team takes it incredibly seriously. I think this statement is extremely misleading.

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Regardless, unfortunately it's not about whether your prop is actually harmful or not, it's about whether it looks like it could possibly be a weapon at a glance from a distance. That's how it was explained to me by an enforcer, anyway. So unless your friend's guns are made of cardboard or foam or something, I doubt it'll get the okay. Even my witch claws (very delicate, made out of paper mache) barely passed. As for the bow, I have no idea. Tango will give you the formal decision, of course.

edited March 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, it's not really the PA team or the Enforcers you have to worry about; it's the convention center security. PAX East #1 was at the Hynes Convention Center, which seemed to be more lenient on this matter. The BCEC crew is a lot more strict, not just on toy weapons, but on things like scantily-clad costumes.

The E security team takes it incredibly seriously. I think this statement is extremely misleading.

I didn't mean it to read that you could brandish toy weapons in front of Enforcers as long as you hide them when the BCEC staff comes along, just that it's not the Enforcers or PA staff setting the policy. They're just extending the enforcement of the rules BCEC sets. (I'm wrong!)

wonderpug on

I didn't mean it to read that you could brandish toy weapons in front of Enforcers as long as you hide them when the BCEC staff comes along, just that it's not the Enforcers or PA staff setting the policy. They're just extending the enforcement of the rules BCEC sets.

That's possible, but I'm not so sure it's correct. I'd love to hear what @Tango has to say on that though.

• azimedesazimedes Registered User new member
    Regardless, unfortunately it's not about whether your prop is actually harmful or not, it's about whether it looks like it could possibly be a weapon at a glance from a distance. That's how it was explained to me by an enforcer, anyway. So unless your friend's guns are made of cardboard or foam or something, I doubt it'll get the okay. Even my witch claws (very delicate, made out of paper mache) barely passed. As for the bow, I have no idea. Tango will give you the formal decision, of course.

Ack I was afraid of that! I'm definitely not used to this level of security--NYCC and a lot of big anime cons are pretty lax about this sort of thing. The more you know I guess!

• SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    Too my knowledge as long as the weapon is not so big its invading my space. I have seen some large weapons in the past though. Just make sure you read the weapon policy and follow those guidelines and you should be fine.
    azimedes wrote:
    Hey guys--this'll be my first year at PAX and my friends and I have been working on a DMC4 group. :D I just wanted to ask about weapons though since I see the weapons guy floating around--is there some kind of size restriction? A couple of the weapons are large but I'm working to make them not too unweildy. Nothing over five feet long. Any clarification would be awesome. I can't wait to see everyone's costumes! <3

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular

I didn't mean it to read that you could brandish toy weapons in front of Enforcers as long as you hide them when the BCEC staff comes along, just that it's not the Enforcers or PA staff setting the policy. They're just extending the enforcement of the rules BCEC sets.

That's possible, but I'm not so sure it's correct. I'd love to hear what @Tango has to say on that though.

As far as I know, this is very much a Penny-Arcade PAX Security Policy.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    SmallLady wrote: »

As far as I know, this is very much a Penny-Arcade PAX Security Policy.

That was my understanding as well.

• ZandiieZandiie Registered User new member
    im so sad, my Annie dress came in today from China and its HUGE and im soo not crafty enough to make one in time :( oh well might be costumeless this year.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    So we changed things up and we're committed to LOL stuff. Making armor once done with crafting foam swords :P

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • JWhiteJWhite Registered User regular
    I have no idea what day I will wear this on (looking at Saturday afternoon or all day Sunday, perhaps both) but I am going to wear my Tanooki Suit from Super Mario Bros/3D Land...

6339357578_e7cce95983_z.jpg

6943193407_855156285d_m.jpg
  • KikkaKikka New YorkRegistered User regular
    I was so wanting to cosplay this time around but i don't have the time/funds. :x but I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone, be prepared for pictures. ;p

• deadmeatdeadmeat Registered User regular
    Last year after cosplaying all weekend long i returned home to watch G4's coverage only to see ALL the other cosplayers gathered for the taping. Somehow i apparently missed the memo. Needless to say, i was pants-shittingly-angry. I saw on the schedule they are doing another live taping Pax Sunday and didn't want anyone else missing out like i did. Here is a link to last years clip.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51787/pax-east-2011-cosplay-video/

• TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sorry this took me a few, I've been busy with other PAX related stuff of late. I knew making the PAX costume weapons policy a sticky in its own right would have been a good idea ;)

First off, to respond to this:
    wonderpug wrote:
    it's not the Enforcers or PA staff setting the policy. They're just extending the enforcement of the rules BCEC sets.

This is incorrect. The weapons policy that's been quoted in this thread applies to both PAXes, not just PAX East, and is authorized by the PAX org team itself. It is therefore 100% official PAX policy - and not tied to any given venue, although the various PAX venues' staff do give us a hand to enforce it.

The current policy was initially drafted by me; it was designed to clarify PAX's original, much vaguer, policy (which led to uncertainty about what was and wasn't okay), while taking into account the sorts of things we'd seen over the previous few PAXes. After I drafted it, it was submitted to PAHQ for approval, after which it become official PAX policy (go to paxsite.com and look in the FAQ!).

The BCEC and other PAX venues do have ground-level "no real guns no real swords" type weapons policies of their own, but the PAX weapons policy is 100% set by the PAX organizers and security management team, and applies across any and all venues for any and all PAXes. I hope this clears things up. :)

Oh, and @azimedes - the bow is fine! You might get the quiver checked if it's not obvious they're glued in, but if in doubt, pull out your smartphone and show 'em this thread ;) The airsoft with its trigger etc. removed, however, is not fine, I'm afraid. And finally, large foam weapons are fine - we've had a few Clouds with huge foam swords that are super fun. Big =/= dangerous. :)

Tango on
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    With an actual list there I should probably post just to say unfortunately I don't think I'll be cosplaying this year. I do plan to eventually do a CTS cosplay but due to other circumstances it will have to wait at least a year.

• girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Posting a picture of my completed prop weapon to see if it's ok. I will note that the string is super glued in place.
    12+-+1

I will not be making any bolts for it, thus it has no projectiles. I'll be bringing a quiver but it will be empty and mainly functioning as a swag carrier since I won't have a backpack and that'll be the closest alternative.

girlgamer88 on
    8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Really nice work GG88

GG88, that's fine (and nice work! I love the 'brass' bits).

Tango wrote:
    wonderpug wrote:
    it's not the Enforcers or PA staff setting the policy. They're just extending the enforcement of the rules BCEC sets.

This is incorrect. The weapons policy that's been quoted in this thread applies to both PAXes, not just PAX East, and is authorized by the PAX org team itself. It is therefore 100% official PAX policy - and not tied to any given venue, although the various PAX venues' staff do give us a hand to enforce it.

My mistake; thanks for the official word! The cosplay enforcement seemed markedly different between Hynes and BCEC, hence my assumption. I'll cross out earlier mentions.

• girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote: »
    Really nice work GG88
    Tango wrote: »
    GG88, that's fine (and nice work! I love the 'brass' bits).

Yay! Thank you! :D

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Very cool looking prop GG88 Good luck with the whole thing!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • SharkBiscuitsSharkBiscuits Registered User new member
    I want to go as a Team Rocket Grunt but I am fairly young (12) so I was wondering what you think of younger cosplayers?

COSPLAY 2012: Team Rocket Grunt (Pokémon)
    HALLOWEEN 2012: Assassin's Creed Ardon (Custom Character)
    COSPLAY 2013: TBA
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    I want to go as a Team Rocket Grunt but I am fairly young (12) so I was wondering what you think of younger cosplayers?

It doesn't matter how old you are! If you want to dress up, go for it. A Team Rocket Grunt would look fantastic.

• Cosplayer NationCosplayer Nation Registered User regular
    BONJOUR from COSPLAYER NATION (The Documentary):

We were at PAX East 2011 last year and will attempt to make it again to PAX East 2012, to document as many of you cosplayers possible for our youtube : CosplayerNationTV

We are also proud to announce that ANIME NEWS NETWORK HAS PROMOTED COSPLAYER NATION AND PAX EAST (see article below). Hope to see you guys on our youtube channel soon :P

animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-03-01/cosplayer-nation-documentary-on-american-cosplay-announced

Cosplayer Nation: A Nationwide Documentarian project on American Cosplayers

CRUSADE THE NATION: http://www.youtube.com/CosplayerNationTV
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cosplay.nation
    Email: cosplayernation (at) gmail.com

It doesn't matter how old you are! If you want to dress up, go for it. A Team Rocket Grunt would look fantastic.

Thanks! I am totally going for it! Expect to see me on Saturday!

• AredubyaAredubya Registered User regular
    Would anyone recognize cosplay based around this character? (SFW)

Aredubya wrote: »
    Would anyone recognize cosplay based around this character? (SFW)

I would now!

• StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    I cant wait to see everyones Costumes this year. I took so many pictures last year of people.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • BetaMasturBetaMastur Registered User regular
    I'll be cosplaying as Poison from Street Fighter X Tekken. Think security will hassle me about a pink riding crop?

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    hi costumers. I am debating the best way to do my mirror's edge tattoo and I'd love some second opinions. Originally I was thinking sharpie because it will last the longest, be the darkest, and not smudge. But then I thought about how huge the tattoo is, and just how much sharpie would be seeping into my skin (granted, in microscopic amounts, but still) and decided that was probably not the best choice. My next thought was eyeliner, but it could rub off VERY easily if a bunch of people bump into me or slide past me (an inevitability in the expo hall). I can't really afford to get it done in henna, plus that'd be the total wrong color. Can you think of any other materials I could use to do the tattoo? Ideally, it would be something easy to apply to myself, as I am pretty sure I'm going to be doing it to myself.

For reference, here's a link to an image of the tattoo for size/complexity: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/2009/01/custom_1232301813964_faiths_tattoo_01.jpg

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    body paint?

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    hi costumers. I am debating the best way to do my mirror's edge tattoo and I'd love some second opinions. Originally I was thinking sharpie because it will last the longest, be the darkest, and not smudge. But then I thought about how huge the tattoo is, and just how much sharpie would be seeping into my skin (granted, in microscopic amounts, but still) and decided that was probably not the best choice. My next thought was eyeliner, but it could rub off VERY easily if a bunch of people bump into me or slide past me (an inevitability in the expo hall). I can't really afford to get it done in henna, plus that'd be the total wrong color. Can you think of any other materials I could use to do the tattoo? Ideally, it would be something easy to apply to myself, as I am pretty sure I'm going to be doing it to myself.

For reference, here's a link to an image of the tattoo for size/complexity: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/2009/01/custom_1232301813964_faiths_tattoo_01.jpg

<3 Mirror's Edge <3

You've got a few options that I can think of (and I'd be more concerned with the Sharpie smudging and rubbing off than skin contact dangers - it's not actually that "permanent" on skin).

- Not all eyeliner is built the same. You can get stuff that's pretty amazingly waterproof and smudgeproof - MAC's basic liquid liner is tenacious, to say the least. Almost too hard to get off, seriously - I don't use it regularly because it's such a pain to get off. A few other high-end brands make really ridiculously budgeproof liners.

- There are pro makeup products that will do the trick - body paints, multi-purpose liners (gel/pencil/liquid), etc. I'd be glad to talk about these some more, sometimes they're tricky to get ahold of because they are just sold at pro makeup stores. They can also be $$$ for something you'll barely use.

- If you have access to an inkjet printer, you can make inkjet temporary tattoos. I wouldn't make Faith's whole piece in one go, but rather assemble it in pieces so it flexes with you. This is probably the most secure way to go, but a little fiddly.

Whatever you go with, test it out well before you go, so you know how to apply and how it'll last.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    from the pax parties thread:
    Krissta wrote: »
    WHOAAAA! Holy awesomeness. Just announced:

Cosplay meet-up. "Irrational Games's staff will be ealking the show floor all day Saturday in search of Bioshock- and Bioshock: Infinite-themed cosplayers. If we spot you--and we think your costume is awesome--you'll be given a wristband with instructions on how to attend the meet-up. This is your chance to become immortalized in our costume hall of fame. As an added bonus, G4's X-Play will be there with their cameras to capture the festivities so make sure you're TV ready!"

irrationalgames.com/insider/pax-east-2012-cosplay-meet-up/

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    wonderpug wrote:
    The cosplay enforcement seemed markedly different between Hynes and BCEC, hence my assumption.

That's not a difference in venue, but a difference in time: East '10 at the Hynes was one of the motivators to have a clearer policy, and then, after some more data-gathering and thought, the new policy was implemented in 2011. :)

Ah, those wild and crazy days of yore.

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    Hi everyone, with Irrational doing a Bioshock-themed cosplay meetup, I figured I'd try my hand at developing a costume for PAX East. I have a couple items that would go great with a Vox Populi-style attire, but one of them happens to be the toy gun (photo below). Would this pass under the rules of costume weaponry, and if not, are they any ways for me to work on the gun to make it better appear as a prop gun and nothing else? Though it's not essential to the costume, it would certainly be a big plus with the pilot goggles and helmet I've already got.

6WrG7l.jpg

All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I could see it being a problem, even with the orange tip at a glance it looks real enough for someone to freak out, but I'm not an enforcer.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09