As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FLASH DUEL: Are you OK? BUSTAH WOLF!

• mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    mindspork wrote: »
    Hell it looks fun. I'll give it a try.

In like Flynn with General Onimaru, the Wartime Strategist

Excellent choice! Probably my second favorite guy in the game. Of course, I just love samurai in general, so, I might be biased.

Question - the number cards (of which there are 50) - are they evenly distributed between the numbers (10/10/10/10/10)?

Edit : n/m. I see. 25 card deck, 5 of each. Quick freaking rounds then.

mindspork on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hell it looks fun. I'll give it a try.

In like Flynn with General Onimaru, the Wartime Strategist

Excellent choice! Probably my second favorite guy in the game. Of course, I just love samurai in general, so, I might be biased.

Question - the number cards (of which there are 50) - are they evenly distributed between the numbers (10/10/10/10/10)?

There are actually only 25 cards (you only play with 50 in some of the multiplayer variants, like 2v2 and whatnot).

They are evenly distributed between the numbers (5/5/5/5/5).

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Please put me down for Captain Zane, the Blood Guard Anarchist :)

Hensler wrote: »

Done and done my friend!

Just as a bit of rules clarification in advance for Zane and his Landmine, a player only 'lands' on the spaces they stop on.

So, for example, if you pushed someone back five spaces, they would only count as landing on the fifth space and no other.

mindspork: Yeah, the rounds are super quick.

• mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    Oh, for colors, it's :

Brown : Move
    Orange : Push
    Purple : Dashing Attack
    Blue : Block
    Green : Retreat

right?

And Red: Attack

Yes.

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh, for colors, it's :

Brown : Move
    DarkOrange : Push
    MediumOrchid : Dashing Attack
    DodgerBlue : Block
    LimeGreen : Retreat

and
    Red: Attack

right?

Fixed for colors that are easier to read.

Darian on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This made me look up Yomi again and reminded me that I want to get it.

Which in turn made me angry that it is $100 and I will probably never buy it.

Also, I wish I had seen this earlier because I want to play I'm just not sure I want to play with any of the remaining duelists.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »

Done and done my friend!

Just as a bit of rules clarification in advance for Zane and his Landmine, a player only 'lands' on the spaces they stop on.

So, for example, if you pushed someone back five spaces, they would only count as landing on the fifth space and no other.

Disappointing, but understandable :)

ObiFett wrote: »
    This made me look up Yomi again and reminded me that I want to get it.

Which in turn made me angry that it is $100 and I will probably never buy it.

Also, I wish I had seen this earlier because I want to play I'm just not sure I want to play with any of the remaining duelists.

All of the remaining duelists are quite strong but, I can understand if their style doesn't appeal to you.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I need to really get a handle on the rules, that was the real problem keeping me from just straight out picking the dude who I now am locked in.

Like you said Inquis, I realized that his last power can be "solved" for a victory, but I didn't think I knew enough about the mechanics to chance it.

Now, I will learn! To the internet!

• HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    If she's not taken, I would be very interested in playing as Valerie Rose.

3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
    Harlon wrote: »
    If she's not taken, I would be very interested in playing as Valerie Rose.

She's all yours!

Arch: Yes, go forth and learn!

I think I'll leave sign ups for one more day and either we will hit 20 or if not we will just get started with whatever we have. Currently 4 spots left.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Okay, I definitely get how to play now

Liking my choice a lot. That rocket punch is going to be handy

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    welp, every single player I want to play as is taken, so SIGNUP ARGARGARGARGAGAGARAGARAGARGARGARAAGARGARGA GARGAGARG

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • towndrunk34towndrunk34 Registered User regular
    Am I allowed to play as Deathstrike Dragon?

Ok, fine. I'll do this. Looks too fun.

Persephone, Nox Oracle please

Master Menelker, the human form of the Deathstrike Dragon, is allowed to be played in 1v1 play (VH is currently signed up as him). Deathstrike Dragon, the dragon form of Master Menelker, can only be played in the raid version of the game (scales up to five players, 4v1). After this whole tournament shakes out, depending on interest I may run a game of the raid mode. I might give priority sign ups to those who get eliminated from this tournament first, but, we shall see.

Sign ups have been updated, everything should be correct. I'm surprised Gloria has held out this long, maybe it's just because she's my friends favorite character but I think she's quite strong.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll take Gloria.

Good man :D

Master Menelker, the human form of the Deathstrike Dragon, is allowed to be played in 1v1 play (VH is currently signed up as him). Deathstrike Dragon, the dragon form of Master Menelker, can only be played in the raid version of the game (scales up to five players, 4v1). After this whole tournament shakes out, depending on interest I may run a game of the raid mode. I might give priority sign ups to those who get eliminated from this tournament first, but, we shall see.

This is digital, we could mod the shit out of this to have, say, every single person in the tournament play against the champion as the Deathstrike Dragon. I'm thinking unlimited ability usage and 4 main actions a turn.

Posting between classes to say that things will be getting started when I get home from class today. One lucky guy will get a buy for the first round. However, sign ups will remain open so if someone snatches up the final character before the first round of the tournament concludes they will be matched up against whoever got the buy.

Its a "bye" when someone gets to skip a round of a tourney, not a "buy" (don't wanna be one of those guys but figured you would want to know, I know I would)

I am excited for this to start!

As an English major my face is rather red right now!

Hahaha thanks though, it's only a word I've heard spoken before, and I always enjoy a chance to learn. <3

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I just want to say, thank you in advance for taking the effort to run this.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    If nobody else wants it I will Signup as lucky number 13. Facing me will be pretty similar to getting a bye! But with slightly more effort!

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I just realized that my internet access is going to be limited this weekend because I'll be traveling. I'll do my best not to hold things up too badly, although it might be best if I'm the last to go in the first round, since it's possible (likely?) that we won't finish the whole first round this weekend.

vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2012
    Bedlam: Awesome! Much love for you mister, we are now at 20 people!

Acid: Likewise, let me thank you all in advance for giving me the opportunity to run this.

VH: The order that the matches are played in don't really matter so I will try to delay your match for as long as you need me to if that is what you'd like.

Okay, time to get this show on the road! Tournament bracket and first matches will be up shortly.

After some waffling I decided that all the matches are going to be best of 5. While I would have liked to have some of the earlier matches be shorter (best of 3 for example) to help speed things up some characters are simply balanced around the game being best of 5 and I don't want to disrupt that.

Edit: I am full of derp and didn't actually think about how a 20 man single elimination bracket actually works. Some of you are just going to end up playing 1 more match than others, sorry about that.

Inquisitor on
    edited March 2012
    Bracket is up!

http://challonge.com/paflashduel

First match is Egos - Vendetta, the Undead Assassin vs. towndrunk34 - Lum Bam-foo, the Gambling Panda!

Edit: For the sake of things moving at a brisk pace, if your only available option for a turn is to recover (because you retreated from a dashing strike or whatever, and you have no powers that trigger on recovering) I'm just going to basically take your turn for you, say you recover, refresh your hand, and then return play to the next player. I mean, no reason to wait on someone's decision if they only have one legal decision.

Inquisitor on
    edited March 2012
    Turn 1, Vendetta (Egos) vs. Lum Bam-foo (towndrunk34)

Current Turn: Lum Bam-foo

Vendetta's Position: 1, dark
    Lum Bam-foo's Position: 18, dark

Cards in Vendetta's Hand: 5
    Cards in Lum Bam-foo's Hand: 5

Cards Remaining in Deck: 15
    Cards in Discard:
    1s: 0
    2s: 0
    3s: 0
    4s: 0
    5s: 0

Vendetta's unused powers: Stunlock, Surgical Strike, Acrobatics
    Lum Bam-foo's unused powers: Raise the Stakes, Roll the Dice, Poker Flourish

(I RNGd to see who got the first turn, technical you get to decide if you want the first turn or not towndrunk34, but, it's pretty much advantageous to go first, however, if you don't want to take the first turn of the game, instead of posting a move or whatever, just post that you want Egos to take the first turn of the game, PMing out hands now).

Inquisitor on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Let's go, Egos!

*Egos proceeds to have his super full parried into a combo for the loss*

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    I use POKER FLOURISH
    ....No, of course not. How lucky would that be?
    I guess I just say a number to move? I'll move with a 2.

I use POKER FLOURISH
    ....No, of course not. How lucky would that be?
    I guess I just say a number to move? I'll move with a 2.

Well you also start on a DARK space so it'd be pretty lucky for it to suddenly turn into a light space for Poker Flourish :P

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    That is one ugly bracket :S

Wait, how many rounds are we playing? 2 out of 3?
    Because if it is, Raise the Stakes, than Rolling the Dice and getting what I need for a Poker Flourish would make for an amusing round.

edited March 2012
    Best 3 of 5 rounds.

Your powers reset each round, right?

edit: ah, but you can only use one power per turn

ObiFett on
    Wait, how many rounds are we playing? 2 out of 3?
    Because if it is, Raise the Stakes, than Rolling the Dice and getting what I need for a Poker Flourish would make for an amusing round.

It's first to 3 rounds.

K, so towndrunk34 already made his move. I guess he has to refill his hand which would come from Inq.

So after a turn is posted, Inq is going to post an update and PM the refilled hand so the next person can take their turn?

edited March 2012
    ObiFett wrote: »
    K, so towndrunk34 already made his move. I guess he has to refill his hand which would come from Inq.

So after a turn is posted, Inq is going to post an update and PM the refilled hand so the next person can take their turn?

Yes. Sending me a PM that you have taken your turn would also be appreciated.

Also color coding your entire action (ie, I move with a two) would be appreciated.

Edit: Obi, that works just as well. As long as I am getting some kind of notification it will help me be more responsive and prompt.

Inquisitor on
    What if we just did a turn like this:

@Inquisitor
    [Move goes here with appropriate color coding]

That way you get notified that a turn was made, without killing your PM inbox?