As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Frank's Concept Colosseum

F87F87 So Say We AllRegistered User regular
edited September 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hey AC!
I'm working on a lot of new stuff lately and rather than continue spamming the doodle thread, I decided to compile any future stuff here.

I could use some feedback on this to begin with.

homecoming1.png

I like the idea but I'm not sure if the perspective is believable. I think I've been staring at it for too long and I only thought about the tilted horizon type composition in the beginning...I'm not sure, something is screwy though.

My new current goal is to finish 1 piece each week and this will be the first. Thanks for looking!

F87 on

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This is pretty great.

I'd suggest that the big ship is kind of divorced from the greater perspective the rest of the scene is acknowledging. It might look better with the end on the right that's closer to us being larger, and the opposite end being a bit smaller to be more indicative of its presence and relationship with the land below.

Good stuff so far. Keep it up!

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I think it looks fantastic so far, but that ship looks way to big to be as close to the ground as it is. It makes me think of BSG when they dropped the Galactica from FTL onto the planet, let it free fall, then did another jump.

I think making it a little smaller or further off in a corner would fix it though.

I LOVE the people waving, and the color choices.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Are you serious?! You punk!! I'm only on season 2 of BSG right now! That sounds like a big spoiler!!

You are right about the ship though, I will try pushing it back some or moving it completely.

Edit:
    Here is a creature design I'm working on. It started out as my daily resolution thing, but I may try to finish it.

cr4.png

F87 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Holy Shit I feel horrible now.

Although you should have seen that episode 3 years ago, so shame on you.

are YOU on the beer list?
    You're right! I know. I'm catching up now and it's awesome.

Update on the Fleet image, done working on it today.
    homecoming2.png

• KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • SaintElmosWireSaintElmosWire Registered User regular
    I really don't know why, but I much preferred it before you flipped it. But it's looking great, love the shadows and lighting variation. Nice loose brushwork too :D

MvViV.jpg
    @Kendeathwalker, you are right. I've just left them as silhouettes right now because I keep putting them off.

I think they need to be worked on a lot, bring in some cultural flavor through their clothing and tools.

@SaintElmosWire - Thank you! :)

Update! A minor one on this image but I've started a new project as well.

homecoming3.png

Kind of unsure with the direction on these soldier and sergeant thumbs:

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

Some simple village type environment sketches:

r3.jpg

More remnant concepts:

r4.jpg

r5.jpg

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I'm very fond of your little hut thing there frank, that's some really classy work.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    i love your choice of subject matter

edited March 2012
    @Mustang - Thanks. Turns out those kind of designs are really fun to do.
    @farbekrieg - I'm on a big sci-fi kick lately.

Here is another set of doodles for remnant:
    r6.jpg

Edit: A speedpaint
    snowfall1.jpg

F87 on
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    i am a fan of your stuff.

that is all.

edited June 2012
    Thank you : )

edit: snip, broken images

F87 on
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    i really like how you make characters, its got a perfect balance of cartoon elements and realism. really clean also everything is so easy to read.

i thought that first guy was jim raynor at first, heh.

edited March 2012

I've been doing some 3d stuff lately!
    monster_3d.jpg

An axe concept I'm working on:
    conceptaxe1.jpg

Edit:
    weirches.jpg

F87 on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I like those last two, Frank.

I have nothing helpful to add.

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lol, the dude at the end is awesome.

Nice 3d and ax, too!

.....I need to learn 3d.

: D thank you guys.

Character sketches!
    fantasy_swordsman_concept1.jpg

scifi_assassin_concept1.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    love this guy
    weirches.jpg

If you can be as playful everywhere as you are with this drawing, I think you'll have some great stuff. In general, though, there is progress in this thread that is great. There aren't really any human characters that jump out to me as unique, right now. I do like that swords man, though.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You are paying attention to how cloth wraps around form and breaks silhouette! Frank levels up! Hooray!

Wassermelone on
    Ah yeah, ding! Level 2 Artist! : D Gotta keep on art grinding!

Iruka - Thanks! I'll try to be more playful with my designs/characters. None of them stand out as unique to me either!

---

New creature concept:

Rhinok_concept1.jpg

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    the only real issue I have with ALL of this, is the name of the last creature. Rhinok? why not just Rhinocero, or Rinoceronte, or Umber Hulk, or Michael ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    I have slight issue with the torso and arms on the rhinok, the shapes aren't very dynamic, I would almost push the forms so that the arms slender out toward the shoulder. Maybe narrow it at the waist a tad as well. These would help the silhouette tremendously, because if I squint at it now, I really can't read the form very well. I love the face and retracting claw though.

I'd be really interested in seeing your process for constructing figures, that's a big sticking point for me.

edited April 2012
    Damnit, Fantomas! I need to consult you when naming these :)

Nic - Very good points about the silhouette, I got too caught up in the rest of the design and forgot the most important part! What do you mean by "a big sticking point" ? I construct my figures in a very haphazard borderline retarded way, haha. I am slowing down and focusing more on the construction steps.

---

OK! I've been trying to beef up my environments lately. I found some good resources concerning the actual process and I've decided to do a couple thumbs so you could all help me pick a good shot!

environment_concept1.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

F87 on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    Nice thumbnails! They're all pretty easy to read, my favourites are 1 2 and 4.

And by 'sticking point' I mean I'm not very good at figure construction, especially when making up a character.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    1 and 6 are my favorites. They are the most compositionally dynamic.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, ding! Level 2 Artist!

Damn, the level cap is 80? Shit...

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    love this guy
    weirches.jpg

If you can be as playful everywhere as you are with this drawing, I think you'll have some great stuff. In general, though, there is progress in this thread that is great. There aren't really any human characters that jump out to me as unique, right now. I do like that swords man, though.

Im a fan of your stuff F, but I agree with Iruka here. Almost all your humans are very idealized versions of the human form, i think throwing in some variety from short/tall fat/thin would allow for your style to come through on your humans.

Thanks guys! I will probably be taking thumb number 1 and fleshing it out.

---

So, I'm trying to take to heart what Iruka and you guys are saying about my characters. I guess in general for this new character sketch, I just tried to have more fun with it and think about what would stand out more.

dwarven_bomber1.jpg

Hopefully I can start drawing a larger variety of characters and zero-in on what makes something stand out or unique.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Hey there, love all the art in here, I think I said it before, or at least I should have, and regarding the names, its an issue I have with most naming in fantasy tales and comics. If the creature is, for example, of alien nature, why would it have a name that resembles an earth animal, is that the name of the alien species, is that the name that earthlings gave the alien species? Do aliens, or creatures that come from outside our human society and are aware of their existence simply accept being renamed as a species?... I... need to meditate.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    @F87 The bomb guy is great! A lot of personality there to work with. Personality is what draws me to a character, personally. I love it when everything about a character communicates what and who that person is, even when in uniform, etc.

@FANTOMAS It really depends on how hard the setting is. For a soft setting, where socio-linguistically history isn't particularly relevant I wouldn't say it matters one bit if the bug aliens are called insectoids or whatever. In a hard setting, where detail of the universe is almost as important as the characters, I could see your point. Usually, though, it's not a huge problem even then as there is no guarantee that an alien would even communicate in the same way a human would, or even through sound at all.

I mean, if I saw that beast in the wilds of some world, I'd probably call it Rhino-something. It has characteristics of something we know, which makes it easy to convey meaning to fellow creatures with a similar background.

edited April 2012
    Names are an interesting topic, one I haven't given much thought.

Here is some stuff from today:

A "Grubbin" creature
    grubbin.jpg

Guardian Familiar
    trakkaton1.jpg

F87 on
    edited April 2012
    Some random environment ideas. I was trying to do these fast and make them each really different. I'm not particularly happy with them, but I think I learned something? Maybe?

environment_concepts2.jpg

environment_concepts3.jpg

Edit: New creature dude: Blister Berserker!
    blisterberserker1.jpg

F87 on
    I wish I had a scanner to show you guys all my recent sketches. I mean, I used to, but who knows where it is now?

Here are some value studies I did this morning:

value_study1.jpg

Update on the Blistered Berskerker:

bb2.jpg

He still needs some refinement here and there. I'm also working on finishing a slightly older Magma Succubus I started:

magmacuss.jpg

That is hot.

:winky: