Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[East] Concerts Discussion Thread

13

Posts

  • repeterepete Registered User regular
    does anyone have an estimate of when the protomen will start and end playing

  • KiashienKiashien Registered User regular
    repete wrote: »
    does anyone have an estimate of when the protomen will start and end playing

    While I can't predict when they start, I can tell you when they stop:
    Between 1:45 and 2 am. Why? Because that's when the place closes, and they're the last band.

    They PROBABLY start at 12:30-1:00 AM.. however I can tell you that is fuzzy as hell, AND that if you try to just show up then, you're likely to have an issue getting in. Protomen are hella popular with the PAX East crowd.. and everyone will want in.

    Estimates:
    8:30: Doors open
    8:45: Supercommuter
    9:45: Supercommuter leaves stage
    10:00: Minibosses
    11:00: Minibosses leave stage
    11:15: Metroid Metal
    12:15: Metroid metal leaves stage
    12:30: Protomen

    This is based on experience, however any 15-minute gap between bands is really a 15-30 minute gap.

    This is NOT official in anyway- this is just me guesstimating based on previous concerts.

    If you really just want to see Protomen, I'd suggest showing up at midnight. It is very likely that people who have to take the T home will start leaving then. However, if you want to make SURE you see Protomen, and see as little of every other band (I dunno why.. Metroid metal is awesome, and Minibosses are pretty cool too.) then I'd say show up at 11 or so. Some people won't like Metroid metal who like Minibosses, and will likely leave.

    BTW, I'm not saying any band sucks. I'm going to show up at 8:30 or so, and deal if I can't see all of Supercommuter, but I won't be sad if I get in at 8:30 :P

    Anyway, that's the best guess I can give you, but it might not be perfect- it's possible that metroid metal is scheduled to play a little longer, and that Protomen don't take stage until 1, or something.

    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

    Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • zombiechronzombiechron Registered User regular
    Supercommuter is amazingly good on record, I wouldn't miss them. Actually, I'm pretty excited for everyone besides Coulton and Paul and Storm, but that's only because I know them the least. Does anyone know if Armcannon will be around in the jamspace?

    ZILTOID
  • ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Does anyone know if Armcannon will be around in the jamspace?

    JamSpace thread will give you the details on when Armcannon and the other bands/musicians/artists will be playing.

    Coldbrew on
    ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Glad to see people are excited for the concerts!

    I am sorry to disappoint those who will be disappointing, but moshing is not allowed at PAX concerts. Anyone moshing will be asked to stop and if they chose not to stop will be asked to leave the convention for the night.

    Thanks all!

  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    So are you still aloud into the concerts after the first band starts playing? I really want to see the Protomen but do not really want to see any of the other bands on Friday. Would it be possible to just show up when the protomen start playing? I'm already going to be getting in line extremely early on Saturday to get a great spot at the front for Paul and Storm and Joco and I really don't want to have to show up really early just to see the Protomen.

  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Access is only restricted if the room hits capacity. If it does then you have to wait for some people to leave. At East last year capacity wasn't hit at all the first night and was hit the second night, meaning some people did have to wait till the last act to get in. It didn't hit capacity immediately, only after the first hour. If you don't care about being up front then you should be ok, no promises though.

  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I'm in the same boat - I really only want to see the Protomen on Friday. Last year they played early (first?) so waiting in line was a-okay with me! But this time I want to be up in the front but not hang out all night either. But it'll work out, I'm sure.

    PAX East 2014: Four year PAXiversary! <3

    Mode: Dammit, gotta bake cookies!
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I don't really care so much for being up front as long as I get to see the protomen. I might be by myself though for the Protomen so I might try to worm my way to the front. I do however want to be in the very front for Paul and Storm and Joco as I was last year.

  • KiashienKiashien Registered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    repete wrote: »
    does anyone have an estimate of when the protomen will start and end playing
    If you really just want to see Protomen, I'd suggest showing up at midnight. It is very likely that people who have to take the T home will start leaving then. However, if you want to make SURE you see Protomen, and see as little of every other band (I dunno why.. Metroid metal is awesome, and Minibosses are pretty cool too.) then I'd say show up at 11 or so. Some people won't like Metroid metal who like Minibosses, and will likely leave.

    BTW, I'm not saying any band sucks. I'm going to show up at 8:30 or so, and deal if I can't see all of Supercommuter, but I won't be sad if I get in at 8:30 :P

    Anyway, that's the best guess I can give you, but it might not be perfect- it's possible that metroid metal is scheduled to play a little longer, and that Protomen don't take stage until 1, or something.

    I just want to reiterate for the people saying they just want to see Protomen, this is probably the best you're going to get for guidance on when to show up in line.

    I don't believe you should limit yourself to the awesome that is Protomen, but I can't stop you, and I will aide in your war based on the information at hand.
    AaronC wrote: »
    Access is only restricted if the room hits capacity. If it does then you have to wait for some people to leave. At East last year capacity wasn't hit at all the first night and was hit the second night, meaning some people did have to wait till the last act to get in. It didn't hit capacity immediately, only after the first hour. If you don't care about being up front then you should be ok, no promises though.

    As AaronC said, you can not be promised entry ever, but it's pretty realistic that if you show up at least one band early, and wait in that line, you will get in.

    I am predicting due to the schedule reorganization that a LOT of people will want in to Protomen. If you want to be safe, come early. If you want to risk it, come a band or so early If you REALLY want to risk it, show up for Protomen and pray- I do not suggest that approach.

    Anyway, your mileage will vary, and I for one will sit through every other rather awesome band, and one band that isn't my style but I could possibly dig, to see the Protomen again on a PAX stage. (As a side note, the Protomen were more awesome at Hynes, just due to the stage layout :P)

    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

    Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Oh man I don't know how I'm going to sleep Friday night after being pumped by Protomen. I saw them at the club at PAX Prime last year and it was the most amazing thing ever.

    If you don't feel like jumping up, punching a shark/bear hybrid in the face, all for the sake of freedom after one of their concerts then I don't know what can save you.

  • zombiechronzombiechron Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest, I'm new to The Protomen. I listened to the first album three times and I love it! The second one, however, I don't know how I feel about it. It really does just sound like Meatloaf. Maybe I'll give it another try after I see it live.

    ZILTOID
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest, I'm new to The Protomen. I listened to the first album three times and I love it! The second one, however, I don't know how I feel about it. It really does just sound like Meatloaf. Maybe I'll give it another try after I see it live.
    You try checking out the plot summary and liner notes? It helped me get an appreciation for act two since I originally liked act one better also. Now I love them both. I read that because act 2's story takes place before act 1's they went for a cleaner sound to illustrate the city hadn't been turned into a dirty, industrial Orwellian nightmare yet. That might be the Meat Loaf sound you're talking about.

  • zombiechronzombiechron Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest, I'm new to The Protomen. I listened to the first album three times and I love it! The second one, however, I don't know how I feel about it. It really does just sound like Meatloaf. Maybe I'll give it another try after I see it live.
    You try checking out the plot summary and liner notes? It helped me get an appreciation for act two since I originally liked act one better also. Now I love them both. I read that because act 2's story takes place before act 1's they went for a cleaner sound to illustrate the city hadn't been turned into a dirty, industrial Orwellian nightmare yet. That might be the Meat Loaf sound you're talking about.

    I definitely get where they were going with it, but that doesn't mean I have to love it. I'm talking from a purely musical standpoint. The first album had all the makings of a classic and great first album, and the second has that "second album syndrome" sound. I love the Spaghetti Western thing they got going on though.

    ZILTOID
  • MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User
    I gotta be honest, I'm new to The Protomen. I listened to the first album three times and I love it! The second one, however, I don't know how I feel about it. It really does just sound like Meatloaf. Maybe I'll give it another try after I see it live.

    this is going a little off-topic I think (this isn't the "lets figure out the protomen together" thread), but I wanted to second what dalaamprince was saying while simultaneously agreeing with you. the second record took me a much longer time to side with. The first one is just so unusual with an amazing, scrappy sound, it really sounds like nothing else. the second one wears the influences of the band much stronger, and is more musically refined. So I dig where you're coming from.

    that being said, I reiterate my point about seeing them live. I have a feeling that seeing Act II "performed" for you as a theatrical experience will get you maaaaad open. I really think those songs just expand in the live experience, and the story they tell will probably grab you more. Not trying to change your mind, but I think the band will do that for you on April 6th!

  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I kind of liked how Metroid Metal went on last, last year. The non-metal fans left and just a smaller, intimate group of metal-heads were left to get their minds blown.

  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I kind of liked how Metroid Metal went on last, last year. The non-metal fans left and just a smaller, intimate group of metal-heads were left to get their minds blown.
    agreed! that was something special for sure.

  • zombiechronzombiechron Registered User regular
    Yea I'm into metal the most, and Metroid Metal the most-ist (just look at my avatar!) I do have to say I am excited for The Protomen to take me away and make me love them!

    ZILTOID
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I gotta be honest, I'm new to The Protomen. I listened to the first album three times and I love it! The second one, however, I don't know how I feel about it. It really does just sound like Meatloaf. Maybe I'll give it another try after I see it live.

    I flip flop between my favorite album all the time, they're so different but they're both incredible.

    Breaking Out is easily their best song though.

  • ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'll just leave this here... :P

    Posted by Freezepop minutes ago:
    Boston, mark your calendars: April 7! Details very soon...

    I'm excited, but there's already so many concerts going on, there's going to be some difficult decisions here it seems. :/

    Coldbrew on
    ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter Registered User regular
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here... :P

    Posted by Freezepop minutes ago:
    Boston, mark your calendars: April 7! Details very soon...

    I'm excited, but there's already so many concerts going on, there's going to be some difficult decisions here it seems. :/

    Oh god.... oh god oh god.

    Is this going to be like... a non-Pax concert? Because... my wallet... it burns...

    archer2.png
  • Blade FusionBlade Fusion Registered User regular
    Supercommuter is amazingly good on record, I wouldn't miss them. Actually, I'm pretty excited for everyone besides Coulton and Paul and Storm, but that's only because I know them the least. Does anyone know if Armcannon will be around in the jamspace?

    I will tell you right now, you will love Paul and Storm. The first PAX they played in '09 was the first I had ever heard of them. I have loved them ever since. Amazing performers. JoCo is great as well, although I am not a huge fan. He needs to go back to acoustic sets.

  • KiashienKiashien Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here... :P

    Posted by Freezepop minutes ago:
    Boston, mark your calendars: April 7! Details very soon...

    I'm excited, but there's already so many concerts going on, there's going to be some difficult decisions here it seems. :/

    Oh god.... oh god oh god.

    Is this going to be like... a non-Pax concert? Because... my wallet... it burns...

    Freezepop tries to schedule a non-pax concert in boston near pax basically every year. They did the first year, I believe they didn't manage it last year, but it sounds like they did this year.

    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

    Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • RealGoneRealGone Registered User
    For those who aren't aware and will still be in Boston the Monday night after PAX (April 9), MC Frontalot and The Protomen are playing a PAX East encore show at the Middle East downstairs in Cambridge.

    I might have set some sort of land speed record for buying tickets when I saw that one announced.

  • KiashienKiashien Registered User regular
    RealGone wrote: »
    For those who aren't aware and will still be in Boston the Monday night after PAX (April 9), MC Frontalot and The Protomen are playing a PAX East encore show at the Middle East downstairs in Cambridge.

    I might have set some sort of land speed record for buying tickets when I saw that one announced.

    You had to show me that. I was unable to resist, now that I know that it exists. :(

    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

    Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Supercommuter is amazingly good on record, I wouldn't miss them. Actually, I'm pretty excited for everyone besides Coulton and Paul and Storm, but that's only because I know them the least. Does anyone know if Armcannon will be around in the jamspace?

    I will tell you right now, you will love Paul and Storm. The first PAX they played in '09 was the first I had ever heard of them. I have loved them ever since. Amazing performers. JoCo is great as well, although I am not a huge fan. He needs to go back to acoustic sets.

    Agree 100% with the sentiment regarding Paul and Storm. I had never heard of them when I stopped in the Saturday concerts at '10 early so I would be there to see Coulton. They ended up being a huge pleasant surprise and unlike anything else I heard before or since. I personally enjoy Coulton both acoustic and non, but I would suggest trying to listen to his stuff ahead of time. Thing a Week podcast is free on iTunes and has 52 songs (one for each week for a year).

  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Just found out I can't afford to attend the con, so I'm REALLY glad the Protomen are having a concert the Monday after. But I'm going to miss JoCo and Paul and Storm. :,(

    PAX East 2014: Four year PAXiversary! <3

    Mode: Dammit, gotta bake cookies!
  • Chaotic IgnoranceChaotic Ignorance Registered User
    As much as I love the bands on schedule this year, I really think we should be shouting for Freezepop during PAX East. It's their hometown after all and even though they're able to get their own show going elsewhere in the city, I would love to see them switch it up and appear in the East rather than at Prime for once. Who's with me!? :D

  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I saw JoCo last summer when he did a gig in England and Paul and Storm supported, I hadn't really heard them before but they were awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing them and JoCo again. I am super excited to see all of the others for the first time too. Also, can't wait for the jamspace times to be announced I really want to see brentalfoss too!

    PAX EAST 2014
    3-Day [X]
    Plane [X] MAN-BOS
    Hotel [X] Intercontinental

    My blog:
    http://mixedmediaadventure.blogspot.co.uk/
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    As much as I love the bands on schedule this year, I really think we should be shouting for Freezepop during PAX East. It's their hometown after all and even though they're able to get their own show going elsewhere in the city, I would love to see them switch it up and appear in the East rather than at Prime for once. Who's with me!? :D

    Sounds like something for the post-pax suggestions thread. Shouting for a different band whilst in a concert seems... contrary to Wheaton's Law.

  • creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    As much as I love the bands on schedule this year, I really think we should be shouting for Freezepop during PAX East. It's their hometown after all and even though they're able to get their own show going elsewhere in the city, I would love to see them switch it up and appear in the East rather than at Prime for once. Who's with me!? :D

    Sounds like something for the post-pax suggestions thread. Shouting for a different band whilst in a concert seems... contrary to Wheaton's Law.
    I don't think they literally intended to shout for them. I think they meant to make their voices heard that Freezepop should be there.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    creid8 wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    As much as I love the bands on schedule this year, I really think we should be shouting for Freezepop during PAX East. It's their hometown after all and even though they're able to get their own show going elsewhere in the city, I would love to see them switch it up and appear in the East rather than at Prime for once. Who's with me!? :D

    Sounds like something for the post-pax suggestions thread. Shouting for a different band whilst in a concert seems... contrary to Wheaton's Law.
    I don't think they literally intended to shout for them. I think they meant to make their voices heard that Freezepop should be there.

    The sarcasm doesn't come through well on the forums.

  • Chaotic IgnoranceChaotic Ignorance Registered User
    Yeah, I was more just curious if anyone agreed with me that Freezepop should be playing at the PAX that's in their home state for once. I didn't expect anything to change for this years line up.

  • ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    If anyone can stand missing the Saturday night main stage concerts, Freezepop has announced their show in-town.

    https://www.facebook.com/events/346093998762718/
    Brighton Music Hall
    8:00pm

    ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Damnit I love freezepop but I love Joco etc more..

    PurpleBek on
    PAX EAST 2014
    3-Day [X]
    Plane [X] MAN-BOS
    Hotel [X] Intercontinental

    My blog:
    http://mixedmediaadventure.blogspot.co.uk/
  • creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    creid8 wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    As much as I love the bands on schedule this year, I really think we should be shouting for Freezepop during PAX East. It's their hometown after all and even though they're able to get their own show going elsewhere in the city, I would love to see them switch it up and appear in the East rather than at Prime for once. Who's with me!? :D

    Sounds like something for the post-pax suggestions thread. Shouting for a different band whilst in a concert seems... contrary to Wheaton's Law.
    I don't think they literally intended to shout for them. I think they meant to make their voices heard that Freezepop should be there.

    The sarcasm doesn't come through well on the forums.
    :oops:

  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Just wanted to add that the Official PAX twitter stated that the concert lineups (order) is TBD, so don't plan around your favorite band playing in the slot they're currently listed.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    Just wanted to add that the Official PAX twitter stated that the concert lineups (order) is TBD, so don't plan around your favorite band playing in the slot they're currently listed.

    That was awhile ago wasn't it? I thought it was less fluid at this point (although I suppose it could always still change).

  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I just checked it was actually only 2 days ago that they said it. I'm hoping it stays the way it is though. It probably will.

  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    Just wanted to add that the Official PAX twitter stated that the concert lineups (order) is TBD, so don't plan around your favorite band playing in the slot they're currently listed.

    That was awhile ago wasn't it? I thought it was less fluid at this point (although I suppose it could always still change).

    This is from the other night:

Sign In or Register to comment.