As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX 2012 Apps Thread *Official App is GUIDEBOOK & Devs read the thread!*

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
Official App is GUIDEBOOK!!!

Yay!

You can download it for your phone at http://east.paxsite.com/

Proxima is the developer of the Guidebook app and they are reading this thread! So feel free to post about feedback or bugs!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
SmallLady on

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I've been talking to a friend of mine who is a developer and PAX attendee and we're going to try to build a iOS App in time for PAX East.
    The basic idea of the app is that it would be a huge list of things to do while you're at PAX. When you check an item off the master list, an achievement badge and description are unlocked. You can share your badges via Twitter.

Sample Achievements:

PAXination - Use the Iron Guard position to greet another attendee.
    Arrrrrrrrrrr - Be Parrrrt of Crowd PARrrrrticipation during "The Captain's Wife's Lament" at the Paul & Storm concert.
    [E] - Thank an Enforcer
    Fancy Pants - Get a photo taken with a cosplayer.
    Demolition - Play a game demo in the expo hall.
    Initiative - Play a game in Tabletop Freeplay.
    Opening Band - Throw panties on stage during Paul & Storm's opening song.
    ProtoFan - Attend the ProtoMen concert.
    Strip Tease - Attend a "Make a Strip" panel.
    FAQ - Attend Mike & Jerry's Q&A panel.
    Mystery Machine - Attend the Magical Mystery Tour.
    The Crawl - Attend the Pub Crawl, survive.

Tenative plan:
    PAX East would probably be a soft launch / open beta. Then we would take what we learned and add features before Prime rolls around.
    We want to have 50 or so achievements to begin. (more in future pax'es)
    The app will use Twitter integration to allow the app to post unlocks and achievement lists.
    We're probably going to price it at 99 cents, we will donate all the profit (after apple's cut & server costs) to Child's Play.
    The achievement unlocks would be on an honor system at least for the time being. (validation becomes complex)

What we need to know:
    Is it something you would download and use during PAX?
    If you have an idea for an achievement, post it in this thread, if we like it, we may add it to the master list.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Hopefully that app will work on Windows Phone? :)

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »

Is the past standard iPhone and Android?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular

Is the past standard iPhone and Android?

Both, but don't take my word for it.

Last year there was the Conventionist app for the iPhone but I do not know if they will have a new version for this year (my fake monopoly money says that chances are good). FYI, I made extensive use of this app last year and it was a nice thing to have.

I also know there was some kind of Hitchhiker's guide for the Android but I never saw it myself. I think most of the information was contributed through Rdr's project which also contained my small contribution. Wish I would have seen it myself but I never had access to an android until recently.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    Conventionist is now Guidebook.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    macrogeek wrote: »
    I've been talking to a friend of mine who is a developer and PAX attendee and we're going to try to build a iOS App in time for PAX East.
    The basic idea of the app is that it would be a huge list of things to do while you're at PAX. When you check an item off the master list, an achievement badge and description are unlocked. You can share your badges via Twitter.

Sample Achievements:

PAXination - Use the Iron Guard position to greet another attendee.
    Arrrrrrrrrrr - Be Parrrrt of Crowd PARrrrrticipation during "The Captain's Wife's Lament" at the Paul & Storm concert.
    [E] - Thank an Enforcer
    Fancy Pants - Get a photo taken with a cosplayer.
    Demolition - Play a game demo in the expo hall.
    Initiative - Play a game in Tabletop Freeplay.
    Opening Band - Throw panties on stage during Paul & Storm's opening song.
    ProtoFan - Attend the ProtoMen concert.
    Strip Tease - Attend a "Make a Strip" panel.
    FAQ - Attend Mike & Jerry's Q&A panel.
    Mystery Machine - Attend the Magical Mystery Tour.
    The Crawl - Attend the Pub Crawl, survive.

Tenative plan:
    PAX East would probably be a soft launch / open beta. Then we would take what we learned and add features before Prime rolls around.
    We want to have 50 or so achievements to begin. (more in future pax'es)
    The app will use Twitter integration to allow the app to post unlocks and achievement lists.
    We're probably going to price it at 99 cents, we will donate all the profit (after apple's cut & server costs) to Child's Play.
    The achievement unlocks would be on an honor system at least for the time being. (validation becomes complex)

What we need to know:
    Is it something you would download and use during PAX?
    If you have an idea for an achievement, post it in this thread, if we like it, we may add it to the master list.

this is the same general idea as the scavenger hunt, but i haven't really heard anything about that for this year, and i really like the idea of having all the functions contained in an app. if only it were for android, i'd be down.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    PhoenixP3KPhoenixP3K CanadaRegistered User regular
    Last year's Conventionist was useful. There was also an unofficial app.
    Can't wait for the announcement. PAX EAST(er) is so close!

Was Guidebook used at 2011's PRIME?

• Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    i made an app thread a week ago just for it to be moved into the help thread lol then this was made

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    PhoenixP3K wrote: »
    Was Guidebook used at 2011's PRIME?

There was a Guidebook in addition to the official app. IMO,Guidebook was the better solution.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Quoting myself from the FAQ.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Whether unofficial or official, the best PAX App over the past couple of years has been Guidebook (previously known as Conventionist).

Nick Swar does a great Android PAX App called "PAX Assistant" which has some advantages over Guidebook like some additional built in twitter support and an intuitive schedule highlighter. I'm not sure if he will be doing PAX Assistant for East 2012, but if he does I'll be picking it up.

There's a "myBCEC" app that is awesome for navigating the BCEC, and it also has local nearby attractions, parking info, and other info about the convention center.

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular

I would love for anything PAX-related to work on my Windows phone! They ran out of programs before I arrived at Prime last year and I couldn't use any of the apps (or get the giant program PDF to load on my phone).

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I hope the official app is for Android too. If not, Guidebook is and it's awesome!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    BlurgitBlurgit Registered User regular
    Hey in addition to Guidebook or an achievement app, what do you guys think about an app made specifically for helping you find new people to play games with at PAX East?

Basically people would create posts stating what game they'd like to play, and a general time frame - then other users could sort posts by genre, or search on specific titles to find people to play against. It would function a little bit like a forum, but with sorting options. You'd comment if you were interested and set up a time to play, place to meet, etc.

What do you think? When you guys go to PAX, do you look for new people to game with? My friend and I are trying to create this as a free app (iOS only, sorry) in time for PAX East. Does it sound like it would be helpful to your overall PAX experience? Are there any additional features you think would be helpful?

• Options
    Blurgit wrote: »
    Hey in addition to Guidebook or an achievement app, what do you guys think about an app made specifically for helping you find new people to play games with at PAX East?

Basically people would create posts stating what game they'd like to play, and a general time frame - then other users could sort posts by genre, or search on specific titles to find people to play against. It would function a little bit like a forum, but with sorting options. You'd comment if you were interested and set up a time to play, place to meet, etc.

What do you think? When you guys go to PAX, do you look for new people to game with? My friend and I are trying to create this as a free app (iOS only, sorry) in time for PAX East. Does it sound like it would be helpful to your overall PAX experience? Are there any additional features you think would be helpful?

I think it would be pretty amazing to have a convention LFG feature inside of a scheduling app like guidebook.

A standalone app would be pretty cool, as well, but not quite as convenient unless it could somehow suck in the schedule made in a scheduling app.

The big turnoff, to me, would be being single platform for an interactive social app. Immediately cutting off a giant percentage of potential game partners makes it less appealing.

• Options
    StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    adastra wrote: »

I would love for anything PAX-related to work on my Windows phone! They ran out of programs before I arrived at Prime last year and I couldn't use any of the apps (or get the giant program PDF to load on my phone).

This^

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • Options
    lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    adastra wrote: »

There was actually a WP7 PAX East app last year. Nothing too fancy, but had the maps of the convention floor and a very good day-by-day schedule of panels.

Shame. Programming for WP7 is *way* easier than iOS or Android.

PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • Options
    any one know of just handy apps to have for an android whether it be for a convention or not

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    any one know of just handy apps to have for an android whether it be for a convention or not

I've said this before and I'm going to say it again, Google+ (Android and iOS). Specifically for the Messenger (Huddle) portion of the app. Add your group of friends to a huddle, and it's group texting for everybody. This takes away from having to relay texts from person to person and makes life so much easier. You can also set up multiple huddles to stay in contact with different groups of friends.

On that note, I'm not a fan of the giant 50+ person huddles people start. It's nice to see what everybody's up to, but big huddles are a lot of noise. If you do join a large huddle, be sure to mute it so you don't get notifications for updates every 30 seconds.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    I wrote the PAX app for WP7 last year (it actually debuted at East) and I will be updating it v. soon with the schedule for East 2012.

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I've said this before and I'm going to say it again, Google+ (Android and iOS). Specifically for the Messenger (Huddle) portion of the app. Add your group of friends to a huddle, and it's group texting for everybody. This takes away from having to relay texts from person to person and makes life so much easier. You can also set up multiple huddles to stay in contact with different groups of friends.

On that note, I'm not a fan of the giant 50+ person huddles people start. It's nice to see what everybody's up to, but big huddles are a lot of noise. If you do join a large huddle, be sure to mute it so you don't get notifications for updates every 30 seconds.
    I'm an advocate for Group Me. My D&D group uses this for communication (there are 6 of us). There is an app you can download but it works through text messages as well.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys,

I'm not sure if the creator of PAX Digital Assistant or GuideBook(looks like it's web only) will be updated for 2012. So I've decided to put an app together. I've been to PAX East since they started 3 years ago and have been doing Windows Phone dev in my spare time since the platform launched. Last year I found the data connections were bad at the convention and really wanted a locally stored copy of the schedule, and I blew through my data I bought when I crossed the border.

Long story short, I made the decision tonight so the apps not ready yet :). I wrote a perl script to scrape the sites schedule and convert it to xml for the app. All I have going so far is listing of the events per day. Next steps will be to display the panel info, then be able to favourite panels to create your own schedule, also would like to add notification for when a panel is getting close to starting. My intention is to keep refining this for the next week then cut a release to the Marketplace. I'll try to keep adding features to it leading up to PAX East 2012.

If any of you are interested I have 2 apps in the Marketplace (both free). You can read about them and get the download links from my site (http://www.ironicname.ca/).

wildbohr on
  • Options
    @wildbohr @jacalata Good to see the WP7 love for some PAX apps - it looks like I will be a happy camper with my Trophy this PAX -- thanks for the work on these apps...

• Options
    Made great progress today. Look of it is still rough but focusing on the functionality right now. Things are looking good for getting everything done this week. Can't wait to get this in other peoples hands. Tomorrow night I will be focusing on the favoriting feature.

• Options
    StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    Good, I was afraid there wouldnt be an app for WP7. I will download this, thanks @Wildbohr & @jacalata

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hey thought I'd break my app off into it's own thread so I don't pollute the other thread with updates.

Again tonight was another good effort of getting things together. I thought I'd share a couple of screencaps, please keep in mind these are still very rough and I haven't begun working on the "pretty" yet. Finished getting the Panel Details page working, got some pin-able live tiles working, have some of the favoriting code in place and began laying out the main page of the app.

Start_Screen.png
    Schedule.png

wildbohr on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    There is one thread for all mobile apps. No exception will be made for this. Please respect this.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    wildbohr wrote: »
    Hey thought I'd break my app off into it's own thread so I don't pollute the other thread with updates.

Again tonight was another good effort of getting things together. I thought I'd share a couple of screencaps, please keep in mind these are still very rough and I haven't begun working on the "pretty" yet. Finished getting the Panel Details page working, got some pin-able live tiles working, have some of the favoriting code in place and began laying out the main page of the app.

Start_Screen.png
    Schedule.png

what device will this be for?

• Options

Start_Screen.png
    Schedule.png
    what device will this be for?

He mentioned it will be for WP7 in an earlier post.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm an advocate for Group Me. My D&D group uses this for communication (there are 6 of us). There is an app you can download but it works through text messages as well.

Tried GroupMe a few times for work groups, and I can only say good things about it. Or rather, I shold say: the first time I unilaterally created a group and sent "this is a test, let me know if you're receiving this", the replies were all "wow, this is awesome". I was expecting "I hate you so much for getting me on this"

Start_Screen.png
    Schedule.png

Looking forward to it!

lucazzo on
  • Options

Start_Screen.png
    Schedule.png

Looking sexy, @wildbohr .. nice job keeping things Metro.. if you need testers, let me know.

• Options
    I had another awesome night putting things together. I have everything working off of a local database now, and favoriting is code complete.

Tomorrow I am hoping to get the layout complete. Then I'll be working on finishing up the remaining functionality I want in place for v1.0. Then testing,testing,testing .. clean up those bugs. Release to marketplace is still looking good for Saturday. I am open to having testers, the requirement would be that you would need an unlocked phone to upload the app, I don't want to use the beta marketplace for this because it could stall getting it published.I have some ideas for additional updates before PAX, if possible, but this release I am focusing on what I think is the priority functionality for the app (Schedule and Favoriting) with some mango (7.5) flare.

• Options
    jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    yea, I found when I started working on my app for wp7 (PAX Digital Assistant, as mentioned above) that I had a lot of great ideas to start with, but it got scoped down to just schedules and favouriting :) My latest update containing the PAX East schedule should be on the marketplace in a day or so - besides the new schedule, the main benefit is that I've implemented the ability to update the schedule directly from the web for when edits are required, rather than needing an app update like I did before.
    The app details are here, for those who are interested - the page has a link to download it directly if viewed on a phone, and you can check out how it behaves with last year's PAX Prime schedule until the update arrives.
    http://www.appsfuze.com/applications/windowsphone.planning/pax-digital-assistant,7995

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • Options
    Wow. I can't believe WP7 is getting so much love =D

I know time is pressing, but idea for a feature: interactive floor map. You zoom into the map, press a theater on it, and it displays the schedule for that theater. Or, perhaps easier, if you access the schedule and press the theater name, it takes you to a map showing you where it is. One of my biggest problems is making sense where each theater is, as "First floor, at the end of the hall in room XYZ" says way more than "Manticore".

• Options
    Agree, Lucazzo --

If we're throwing features out there, being able to add friends who also have the app, and coordinate schedules would be awesome. sometimes people hit stuff that I miss because I didn't pay close enough attention. GPS tracking (optional) of where said friends are could also be cool (unless you're playing Assassin's ball :) )

Easy for me to say, I'm not the one coding all this ;)

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Since we're all throwing out ideas for our wonderful WP7 app creators, how about an embedded "live" twitter feed of companies that will be attending (once the list is announced)?

• Options
    @lucazzo, @vttym, @traitorious - thanks for the feature suggestions! Though I likely will not have time to implement them.

@lucazzo - I love this idea an overlay of your current gps on the map would be awesome too, even though they tend to be off.
    @vttym - I really like the social aspect, this would require an online service to manage. Could do something using Azure, but would be a full weeks work to get a first pass, dedicated time aka not after work coding ;) .
    @traitorious - doable, and probably pretty quickly, probably best implemented using twitter lists in someway, I've got a fast way to put twitter feeds in the app. Would likely only need a list curated.

Report for tonight, I didn't end up doing layout/cleanup. Went to a local user group tonight and since I've got back I added in some more framework to help with the initial roll out when it gets published. Also did begin some polish on some sections of the app from a usability point of view. Current build is very close to what you would consider beta quality.

• Options
    UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    Add me as another person anxiously looking forward to a PAX East app for Windows Phone. :)

If I weren't already making a different WP app, I'd probably get in on this action too.

• Options
    Another leap into the right direction for marketplace submission. Fixed a lot of ugly layout problems tonight. Also refined some of the functionality to get rid of 'little' things I noticed when testing last nights build throughout the day. One tiny piece of functionality I want to finish and then some more graphical polish and testing. Saturday will be the day of submission to the marketplace, if approved then I would think it should be available in the market wed/thurs.

• Options
    KwoodKwood Registered User new member
    Just wanted to chime in to confirm that there will be a guide on Guidebook for East, and it will be awesome. Sorry, no native WP7 app for East, but you can either use our mobile site at http://m.guidebook.com/, or try out one of the other apps in this thread.

Source: I'm the CTO at Guidebook and a 3-time PAX attendee.

• Options
    avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    Kwood wrote: »
    Just wanted to chime in to confirm that there will be a guide on Guidebook for East, and it will be awesome. Sorry, no native WP7 app for East, but you can either use our mobile site at http://m.guidebook.com/, or try out one of the other apps in this thread.

Source: I'm the CTO at Guidebook and a 3-time PAX attendee.

Awesome News man any ETA on it if i may ask?