As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Dragant wrote: »
    I had no idea what Hotel was connected to the BCEC, so its too late to book their now. Going with my GF, we live about half an hour away but contemplating getting a hotel close enough to walk. Closest one is Boston Marriott Long Wharf, would take about half an hour walking. Worth it?

At the end of a full day of PAX, you will not want to do a half hour walk. If you only live half an hour away, the additional cost of cab fare will probably be less than the cost of the hotel, so I would say "not worth it."

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    Dragant wrote: »
    I had no idea what Hotel was connected to the BCEC, so its too late to book their now. Going with my GF, we live about half an hour away but contemplating getting a hotel close enough to walk. Closest one is Boston Marriott Long Wharf, would take about half an hour walking. Worth it?

At the end of a full day of PAX, you will not want to do a half hour walk. If you only live half an hour away, the additional cost of cab fare will probably be less than the cost of the hotel, so I would say "not worth it."

When I lived near PAX in Seattle, I would often times take the bus to PAX in the morning and take a cab home late at night after the buses stopped running.

• JohanMcDougalJohanMcDougal Registered User regular
    Not entirely sure if this has been answered, but does the Westin allow for consoles or laptops to be hooked up to the room TVs? I'd like to bring some consoles/games, but I'd rather not drag them around for naught. Thanks!

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I'm curious to know a bit more about the lobby scene. Can one expect to see a game happen at any time of the day or night? I know there should be a lot of activity on Thursday but what about Friday or Saturday after PAX closes?

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    hey Johan, I'm totally down for gaming in the hotel room as a PAX come-down. If I remember correctly all the rooms had LCD TV's with ample inputs, but I could be wrong.

I'm rooming with a bunch of people I've never met so I don't think I can just decide to turn the room into game-central at 2:00AM, but I'm happy to bring some stuff to lighten the load for anyone who wants to do this.

Down to bring a DC, 4 controllers & PowerStone 2 for sure!

And @Frugus, I think I read in a post somewhere that the Westin staff was not happy about people tabletop gaming at all hours of the night in the lobby, but I could be wrong...

• MalkaraMalkara Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    MrGone1980 wrote: »
    hey Johan, I'm totally down for gaming in the hotel room as a PAX come-down. If I remember correctly all the rooms had LCD TV's with ample inputs, but I could be wrong.

I'm rooming with a bunch of people I've never met so I don't think I can just decide to turn the room into game-central at 2:00AM, but I'm happy to bring some stuff to lighten the load for anyone who wants to do this.

And @Frugus, I think I read in a post somewhere that the Westin staff was not happy about people tabletop gaming at all hours of the night in the lobby, but I could be wrong...

You probably read that in the other thread, for the Thursday night Westin gaming thing. The real problem wasn't that people were tabletop gaming at all hours of the night- it's that they were hogging bar tables, and effectively killing their money-making since they weren't ordering anything. I believe the Westin's going to set up an area for people to game, though I haven't been paying too close of attention to that thread.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Malkara wrote: »
    MrGone1980 wrote: »

You probably read that in the other thread, for the Thursday night Westin gaming thing. The real problem wasn't that people were tabletop gaming at all hours of the night- it's that they were hogging bar tables, and effectively killing their money-making since they weren't ordering anything. I believe the Westin's going to set up an area for people to game, though I haven't been paying too close of attention to that thread.

Yes, you are right. They are setting up the Mezzanine on Thrusday night starting at 6 for us.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote: »
    I'm curious to know a bit more about the lobby scene. Can one expect to see a game happen at any time of the day or night? I know there should be a lot of activity on Thursday but what about Friday or Saturday after PAX closes?

You mean after 2am when the gaming freeplay area closes? I dunno, I was always wiped after that and in bed soon after.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any experience with getting cots for the extra occupants in a room? I got a tip that asking the maid staff for one would carry a lower chance of being charged.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I just call the front desk and pay for it. It's not like they're that expensive.

Actually it's usually a good idea to tell them when you check in. Some of the PAX hotels have been known to run out of rollaway beds in the past, due to the huge demand for them.

E6LkoFK.png

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I just call the front desk and pay for it. It's not like they're that expensive.

Actually it's usually a good idea to tell them when you check in. Some of the PAX hotels have been known to run out of rollaway beds in the past, due to the huge demand for them.

This. I've seen it happen with other convention type events. Usually they are between 10$ to 15$ extra and are available on first come first serve basis, but usually being a key word here, I would suggest you call them up in advance and see if you can't reserve one now instead of later.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • folkitfolkit Lucille Bluth is my spirit animal. FloridaRegistered User regular
    So, I booked a hotel (Doubletree Bayside) but it's relatively far from the convention center. I'm planning on calling the Westin often because ideally that's where I'd like to be. What are my chances of actually being successful with this tactic?

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    folkit wrote: »
    So, I booked a hotel (Doubletree Bayside) but it's relatively far from the convention center. I'm planning on calling the Westin often because ideally that's where I'd like to be. What are my chances of actually being successful with this tactic?

At this point? Probably less than a thousandth of a percent.

E6LkoFK.png

• folkitfolkit Lucille Bluth is my spirit animal. FloridaRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I called earlier and they had one room for Friday only. I'm holding on to the hope that someone makes a cancellation...I know the chance is slim, but, as George Michael tells us, you gotta have faith, faith, faith. Something like that.

• MalkaraMalkara Tampa, FLRegistered User regular

Just keep an eye on OnPeak, check it a few times a day. Ten rooms opened up a week ago (and swiftly sold out). I imagine there'll probably be at least one more wave of cancellations.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Malkara wrote: »

Just keep an eye on OnPeak, check it a few times a day. Ten rooms opened up a week ago (and swiftly sold out). I imagine there'll probably be at least one more wave of cancellations.

Best way is to stalk OnPeak's site a few times a day. I actually had a reminder on my work calendar every couple hours to go check. We were able to snag one during when the ten rooms were opened up.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • rascalrascal Registered User regular
    I called earlier and they had one room for Friday only.
    Grab that Westin room for Friday, and as adias.angel and Malkara have sagely suggested above, stalk OnPeak for the rest of the nights you need. The closest we could book (in December) was the Intercontinental, so I checked OnPeak every few days and managed to hopscotch to the Renaissance and finally the Westin (a couple of weeks ago). Not only are there cancellations, but it seems that the Westin might be holding back rooms which they eventually release to OnPeak -- even when they were sold out on OnPeak, there were rooms available through the hotel but for about $500/night.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I called earlier and they had one room for Friday only. I'm holding on to the hope that someone makes a cancellation...I know the chance is slim, but, as George Michael tells us, you gotta have faith, faith, faith. Something like that.

George Michael also has a rider that provides lodgings for him. :P

7B14287.png
  • DafreakzoDafreakzo New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Hi all! First time PAX East attendee and booked my room @ Four Points By Sheraton Boston Logan International Airport on Kayak.com. $65 bucks a night is not to bad based on the things I have been reading here. Anyone have any experience or dealings with getting back and forth from the convention to this hotel?

Thanks!

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dafreakzo wrote: »
    Hi all! First time PAX East attendee and booked my room @ Four Points By Sheraton Boston Logan International Airport on Kayak.com. $65 bucks a night is not to bad based on the things I have been reading here. Anyone have any experience or dealings with getting back and forth from the convention to this hotel?

Thanks!

If you are driving it's one thing, but taking the MBTA you'll have to clear out by 9:30pm at the very latest. Not to scare you either, but the hotel has some pretty horrid reviews on tripadvisor.

JerYnkFan on
    Just called Kayak (travel booking site) and got a room at the Westin for 218ish a night. More expensive than the other hotel I booked, but totally worth it to me.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just called Kayak (travel booking site) and got a room at the Westin for 218ish a night. More expensive than the other hotel I booked, but totally worth it to me.

which westin? make sure it's the right one, there are two :)

zerzhul wrote: »

The Westin Boston Waterfront
    425 Summer Street
    Boston, MA, US 02210

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

425 Summer Street
    Boston, MA, US 02210
    Weird. Apparently you can book through Kayak(the Kayak website as well) even though the website for the actual hotel says they are full up. How does that work?

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    edited March 2012
    Oops, double post...

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    gespo89 wrote: »

425 Summer Street
    Boston, MA, US 02210
    Weird. Apparently you can book through Kayak even though the website for the actual hotel says they are full up. How does that work?

I guess they reserve a block of rooms for each travel web site? I don't know. All I know is I got one, and I'm pretty happy about it. Although I think I got the last one at the rate I got.

425 Summer Street
    Boston, MA, US 02210
    Weird. Apparently you can book through Kayak even though the website for the actual hotel says they are full up. How does that work?

I guess they reserve a block of rooms for each travel web site? I don't know. All I know is I got one, and I'm pretty happy about it. Although I think I got the last one at the rate I got.

Well, they are listed at 249 a night now for what it's worth.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular

425 Summer Street
    Boston, MA, US 02210

or, it's overbooking. Please be careful and call in the days leading up to PAX confirming your reservation. It HAS happened in the past that people have booked at a PAX hotel via a secondary site only to get bumped out of the hotel upon arriving because the hotel overbooked.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That happened to my friends and me last year. For our first night, we stayed at the Seaport, but were going to move to the Westin the second + nights. However, they overbooked, and we were moved to the Westin Copley.
    We had booked with OnPeak and everything.

waterbottles on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That happened to my friends and me last year. For our first night, we stayed at the Seaport, but were going to move to the Westin the second + nights. However, they overbooked, and we were moved to the Westin Copley.
    We had booked with OnPeak and everything.

Yeah, that specifically shouldn't happen again (being bumped within onpeak). From what I remember, that was a massive miscommunication between the Westin Boston Waterfront and OnPeak that should be resolved this year.

As far as getting bumped when using something other than OnPeak, yeah that still happens for normal reasons.

• dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    Secondary sources are never worth the headache in my experience but best of luck to anyone that tries it!

• DafreakzoDafreakzo New JerseyRegistered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote: »
    Dafreakzo wrote: »

Thanks!

If you are driving it's one thing, but taking the MBTA you'll have to clear out by 9:30pm at the very latest. Not to scare you either, but the hotel has some pretty horrid reviews on tripadvisor.

Thanks for the info. I checked on tripadvisor and it seems to have it's ups and downs..but I am sure I have experienced worse. Based on the MBTA I guess I will just drive into town and park the whole day. What's the average it cost for parking per day?

Thanks!

• MalaMala CeciltuckyRegistered User regular
    Question for those who have stayed at the Seaport before: Is it really a "no tips allowed" hotel?

Just managed to grab a room for the whole weekend at the Seaport :) Seriously people, keep an eye on OnPeak cause you never know when a highly coveted room will open up.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    There are pretty much always week-of cancellations at con hotels, regardless of the con. People realize they can't go, plans don't gel, extra rooms that got grabbed aren't needed, etc. I certainly wouldn't wait until the last minute to book something, but I also wouldn't plunk down a non-refundable payment on something that's not what I really want until I'm sure that I'm stuck with it. If you check the room block on OnPeak whenever you think of it, you'll see that the numbers fluctuate and things don't necessarily remain sold out! It's worth a little time each day to check a few times. I snagged the Westin the week before PAX last year, and others did, too.

• TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    I'll be staying at the Courtyard Boston Tremont. I had a lot of hotel points and managed to book 3 nights dirt cheap. Will anyone else be there that wants to hang out?

• InuFayeInuFaye Registered User regular
    Ill be at the Seaport.
    I plan to bring my ps3 and hopefully have some Fighting games going on during after hours.

• RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I just canceled 2 rooms at the westin

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    If you're looking for a good hotel outside the PAX block, I've had really good luck with the Lenox in the Back Bay. I stayed there the first year, and last year we switched there after the expo ended Sunday. It's a half-hour on the T or a good cab ride to the expo center from there. It's a 4-star hotel, but I've always been able to get a deal for on a room via their site or a travel site. It's walking distance from shopping and food.

• stellabambinostellabambino Registered User regular
    Hi folks - I have an extra room at the Westin Boston Waterfront (AKA - the hotel RIGHT THERE) from April 5th (the day before) to April 9th (the day after) with two doubles that I am no longer in need of. If you want it, PM me as I don't really check the forums that often.

• EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    Snagged a room at the seaport last night, sooo much happier now instead of being out at the holiday inn brookline.