As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: F.E.A.R

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "You! Flank left and Flush him out"

"....FUCK YOU!"

I got that one during a playthrough the first time you meet mapes and he wants you to shut down security.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck Mapes. That bitch needs to DIE.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hahha I have so many of those moments. My favorite was after I had blown up one of those giant EVE rocket suits.

"SHIT."

"He took down the heavy!"

"No fucking way!"

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Right, that's it, I'm playing the entire game all the way through again on the hardest setting tomorrow. I'v not even tried the expansion pack yet either.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If we presume that I don't like being scared the shit out of (no Silent Hills, I could only just about stomach RE4. With the lights on.) can I still enjoy FEAR, or will there be one jumpy bit that will scare me half to death and I'll burn the CD?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    If we presume that I don't like being scared the shit out of (no Silent Hills, I could only just about stomach RE4. With the lights on.) can I still enjoy FEAR, or will there be one jumpy bit that will scare me half to death and I'll burn the CD?

Its really not that frightening. If you made it through RE4, you can make it through this... prolly. Extraction Point on the other hand, jeezus, one of the only games to ever truly freak the hell out of me.
    OH DEAR LORD WHERE DO THE SHADOWS END AND THEIR BODIES BEGIN FUCK THE BLOODS EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS MUMMY PLEAS-hrlhlghglaghlghlgh

Listening to me playing EP is like listening to the old cliche sci-fi trope of "abandoned tape/cd of slaughtered marines."

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OP mentioned the graphics and I believe they were scaled down on the 360 correct me if I'm wrong. Also it's hard to imagine playing this kind of shooter with dual analogue.

And to the above, me, I was scared shitless but the action was so intense I just kept going. Especially as you near the end the game really fucks with your head but by then you're sucked in and thinking you have to stop this no matter what.

And if you're a decent player you will :).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck Mapes. That bitch needs to DIE.
    You'll be waiting a while.

Post-original only:
    I don't even think he's doing to die in Extraction Point. Lucky punk.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

Its really not that frightening. If you made it through RE4, you can make it through this... prolly. Extraction Point on the other hand, jeezus, one of the only games to ever truly freak the hell out of me.
    OH DEAR LORD WHERE DO THE SHADOWS END AND THEIR BODIES BEGIN FUCK THE BLOODS EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS MUMMY PLEAS-hrlhlghglaghlghlgh

Listening to me playing EP is like listening to the old cliche sci-fi trope of "abandoned tape/cd of slaughtered marines."

The only time I was ever truly freaked out in FEAR was
    You slide down the ladder, and just beofre you move down, Alma appears in front of your face. That didn't scare me as Alma honest do go didn't scare me. Little girls in horrow movies games are NOT scary. I'm bigger than them, I could punt them if I wanted to, plus I had a shotgun. Anyway, I slide down the ladder and suddenley come face to face with Fettel, then he suddenley dissapears into ash. This scared the shit out of me as I hadn't died yet (and didn't do unti I got to the helipad assualt intro of one mission) and I thought it was a guy about to end my life

oh, and the last 5 seconds of the game
    Okay, the only time Alama actualy scared me was when I was looking outside of the chopper at the massive cloud of distruction, and out of nowhere, BAM! Alma is seen climing into the chopper. Awesome moment.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    OP mentioned the graphics and I believe they were scaled down on the 360 correct me if I'm wrong. Also it's hard to imagine playing this kind of shooter with dual analogue.

And to the above, me, I was scared shitless but the action was so intense I just kept going. Especially as you near the end the game really fucks with your head but by then you're sucked in and thinking you have to stop this no matter what.

And if you're a decent player you will :).

Actually, the 360 version looks great. It even has HDR support! I've played it on 360, PC, and PS3, and I'd rank them PC>360>PS3, mostly due to texture quality. The textures on the 360 version are a tiny bit less sharp than on the PC, but it's not really noticeable. The PS3 version looks kind of strange in places, and for some reason doesn't have most of the sound effects for physics objects. Also, I personally can't stand the submachine gun weapon that's exclusive to the 360 game. The sound effect seems too loud to me.

And man, the achievements in the 360 version are hard! But yeah, it looks fantastic, and loads super quick.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What are the achievements like?
    Hold your ground when the wraiths show up? :lol:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    What are the achievements like?
    Hold your ground when the wraiths show up? :lol:
    The List

Also, is it just me or do most of the human allies like that one chick and the black dude look...somewhat plastic doll like?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    HybridzergHybridzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FEAR is definitely one of my favorite shooters. It has a great atmosphere, and some great jumpy moments. The biggest one for me was
    The first fight with the ninjas in the second story of the lobby. At the time it seemed like there were ten of them all jumping off the walls, leaping through the ceilings, and of course kicking the shit out of me. My nerves were shot. And then, just when I thought it was over, I turn around to leave to see the last one with his arm back, lunging at me. I almost dropped my controller (I was playing late with the lights turned off).

Hybridzerg on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Alma scene that did it for me was:
    You have to enter a guard booth to flick a switch to power the elevator. When you hit the switch at the back of the booth, you turn around and see her just standing there through the bulletproof glass. then you exit and she does that fucking spider run thing at you.

Also, I remember once I saw the shadow of somebody walking right around a corner, then turned and there was nobody there. That was a WTF moment.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God damn, I hate Fatass.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The Alma scene that did it for me was:
    You have to enter a guard booth to flick a switch to power the elevator. When you hit the switch at the back of the booth, you turn around and see her just standing there through the bulletproof glass. then you exit and she does that fucking spider run thing at you.

Also, I remember once I saw the shadow of somebody walking right around a corner, then turned and there was nobody there. That was a WTF moment.
    The shadow was prolly Jankowski or however the fuck his name was spelled. Fettel walks his corpse around at various parts in the game. If you noclip catch up to the corpse who find he has his eyes missing and the obligatory blood everywhere.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the person asking about if it would be too scary, I'm much like you, but I made it through FEAR. The good for us/bad for game design part about FEAR is that you always know when it's a scary time vs an action time. They don't intermix. If you hear guards and are in a firefight you know there won't be anything creepy going on, but if there are no guards around you can kind of steel yourself for something creepy to happen.

Kind of a letdown that they didn't mix it up a bit, but probably made it better for me. I don't like being stressed out when I play video games. Doom 3 wasn't scary but I never made it more than 30 minutes into it because I was so tense expecting shit to jump out at me from every wall panel.

FEAR wasn't even all that scary, to be honest. There were maybe 2 spots where I kind of jumped..
    The oft-mentioned Alma standing at the ladder as your vision comes back into skew while climbing down and the always creepy "spider run" as someone called it earlier. Walk normal ffs.

Overall an okay game, but three things kind of left me disappointed:
    1.) No boss-like battles. You just mow down generic soldiers all game long with no extra challenge at any point.

2.) You don't get to kill that fat piece of shit. That was my motivation the entire game and even after someone else shot him the game wouldn't let me finish him off.

3.) Fettel chewed on my girlfriend.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FightTest wrote: »
    For the person asking about if it would be too scary, I'm much like you, but I made it through FEAR. The good for us/bad for game design part about FEAR is that you always know when it's a scary time vs an action time. They don't intermix. If you hear guards and are in a firefight you know there won't be anything creepy going on, but if there are no guards around you can kind of steel yourself for something creepy to happen.

Kind of a letdown that they didn't mix it up a bit, but probably made it better for me. I don't like being stressed out when I play video games. Doom 3 wasn't scary but I never made it more than 30 minutes into it because I was so tense expecting shit to jump out at me from every wall panel.

FEAR wasn't even all that scary, to be honest. There were maybe 2 spots where I kind of jumped..
    The oft-mentioned Alma standing at the ladder as your vision comes back into skew while climbing down and the always creepy "spider run" as someone called it earlier. Walk normal ffs.

Overall an okay game, but three things kind of left me disappointed:
    1.) No boss-like battles. You just mow down generic soldiers all game long with no extra challenge at any point.

2.) You don't get to kill that fat piece of shit. That was my motivation the entire game and even after someone else shot him the game wouldn't let me finish him off.

3.) Fettel chewed on my girlfriend.
    You know that she was your aunt... right?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, the blonde girl that was the office guy's daughter. The girl I was going to do it with but Fettel ends up chewing on at the end.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, the blonde girl that was the office guy's daughter. The girl I was going to do it with but Fettel ends up chewing on at the end.
    Yeah. That chick is Wade's 2nd or 1st daughter, and Alma's sister. Making her your aunt, and both you and Paxton her nephews. Unless your talking about someone whom I've forgotten.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. That chick is Wade's 2nd or 1st daughter, and Alma's sister. Making her your aunt, and both you and Paxton her nephews. Unless your talking about someone whom I've forgotten.
    I don't know if that's the case, but if it is I still intend(ed) to do her and there's nothing you can say to change that. Why can't you just be happy for us?

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    1.) No boss-like battles. You just mow down generic soldiers all game long with no extra challenge at any point

regarding this point,
    i liked that there weren't any boss battles. Hell, the heavy armour and stuff felt like it at times. And i absolutely loved coming round the corner and seeing Fettel kneeling on the floor, and putting a single bullet through his head. The entire end of the game from that moment, with all the clone soldiers just stood lifeless, the giant shimmering orb thing, the creepy-as-hell wraiths, and the final blast that you're stood in the middle of, all awesome.

dammit, as soon as i've completed Riddick again, i'm going back through this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    1.) No boss-like battles. You just mow down generic soldiers all game long with no extra challenge at any point

regarding this point,
    i liked that there weren't any boss battles. Hell, the heavy armour and stuff felt like it at times. And i absolutely loved coming round the corner and seeing Fettel kneeling on the floor, and putting a single bullet through his head. The entire end of the game from that moment, with all the clone soldiers just stood lifeless, the giant shimmering orb thing, the creepy-as-hell wraiths, and the final blast that you're stood in the middle of, all awesome.

dammit, as soon as i've completed Riddick again, i'm going back through this.

Got I love the ending
    Whew, thank god I finally got away from all those ghostly wraith things and escaped that factory. I'm completley safe now.

BOOM!

What the... oh yeah, I started screwing around with a nuclear reactor before, didn't I? I.... Uh-oh.....

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God, I hate those ghost things.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God, I hate those ghost things.

And then the XP is 50% fighting horribly, horribly souped up versions of them. Jesus.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    About you guys and your strange inability to realise you yourself are a ninja:
    Slow mo + shotgun when you see the flicker close to you. You can take out an entire room while eating dinner. Maybe a slight exaggeration, but they are weak as hell and slowmo makes it just too easy. Simply turn it on the minute you see a flicker long enough to line up the shot, fire, flick it off. Repeat. Don't panic and shoot when they are ages away, you waste slowmo and bullets, wait till you see the flicker about ten feet away. Just back into a corner and wait, they'll leap around then come at you.
    They're so weak you can just wait till they leap, slow mo and smash them in the face with gun of choice if you like.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Forget that noise Morninglord...you got to bring the pain!
    Drop a fucking motion sensor and piss one off. Bitches never see it coming

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know what really bothered me about this? More than the ghosts and the ninjas and the turrets and Alma?

Those goddamn flying robots. It didn't matter how quick I was, it didn't matter if I was in slomo or not, if one of those bastards saw me, it would hit me with its annoyingly painful lasers at least once or twice before I could even draw a bead on it. The fact that they were absent from XP pleased me to no end.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I found the SMG was the best weapon for those...either that or the heavy machine gun.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There's nothing quite like beating a ninja to death with your fists.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's nothing quite like beating a ninja to death with your fists.

There's nothing quite like nailing a ninja to the wall as they try to jump at you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So what's the multiplayer in FEAR like? I somehow never got around to buying it but I see some of my friends who usually only play tactical FPS type games playing it online on occasion even still.

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dammit, i went to start a playthrough last night after finding i still had it installed. Got through the first level just fine, then after the cutscene on the helicopter, it just hung while loading. No activity or anything. What the hell :(

edit: well, the hard-drive light was flashing away, but i sat for about a good 5 minutes and the game made no indication that it was actually loading.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pej wrote: »
    So what's the multiplayer in FEAR like? I somehow never got around to buying it but I see some of my friends who usually only play tactical FPS type games playing it online on occasion even still.

You can try it yourself

F.E.A.R. Combat is the multiplayer component of the game, and was released as a separate, free download not too long ago. You need to register for a free key, and then you can just download, install and run.

Haven't tried it myself. From what I've heard it's fun, if not exactly ground-breaking.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So I was a bigger pussy than you guys thought.

The FEAR demo scared the shit out of me.

I am not buying this game :)

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So I was a bigger pussy than you guys thought.

The FEAR demo scared the shit out of me.

I am not buying this game :)
    It's $35 us dollars.

Go get it. NOW!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You can't scare me into buying a game that will make me shit my pants.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You can't scare me into buying a game that will make me shit my pants.
    I doubt you will lose control of your rectum(urethra, though, is possible.)

It's not that scary. You just have to brace yourself.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The DEMO was that scary! I can't last five minutes, let alone 10 bloody hours. My bodily waste functions can't handle the pressure.

There was that freaky ass girl. And that zombie dude. That shit was all fucked up.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The DEMO was that scary! I can't last five minutes, let alone 10 bloody hours. My bodily waste functions can't handle the pressure.

There was that freaky ass girl. And that zombie dude. That shit was all fucked up.

I've found I really enjoy the complete mindfuck that near-constant paranoia induced by the game brings...

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam