As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google Chrome vs Firefox

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, I gave it a couple of days, but Opera's terribly sluggish scrolling is starting to get to me. I accidentally opened Chrome today and it scrolled so smoothly.

Maybe that part's better on Windows, but it's just too much of a constant irritation for me to want to deal with.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is anybody else seeing flash ads in YouTube comments and Google search using Chrome? It's the weirdest thing. I switch to Firefox and log in and they're gone. Clear cache on Chrome and logout/login and there they are again.

I think it's time for my bi-annual 'go back to Firefox' holiday.

Edit sometime later... Holy shit I found out where those ads were coming from. Not chrome but an extension I had was inserting ads. That's messed up.

xraydog on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    And now I've swapped over to Firefox in my yearly carousel of browsers. I'm liking it quite a bit more than I remember, too. None of Opera's annoyances, and the default theme isn't so ugly anymore.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    And now I've swapped over to Firefox in my yearly carousel of browsers. I'm liking it quite a bit more than I remember, too. None of Opera's annoyances, and the default theme isn't so ugly anymore.

Mostly because they copied Opera.

Dranyth wrote:

And if Opera was so dog-shit laggy with scrolling (on OS X, anyway), I'd still be using it. Firefox, comparatively, is silky smooth.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Opening Chrome, typing "youtu"+ Tab then making a video search on youtube in record time is so fucking awesome.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Opening Chrome, typing "youtu"+ Tab then making a video search on youtube in record time is so fucking awesome.

Firefox and Opera had this for years, except you had to set the shortcut manually. Chrome made it startlingly obvious by just doing it automatically for you and saving sites' search URLs automatically, making everything a shit-tonne less painful.

You can change the shortcut in Chrome, too, as you can in other browsers. Usually, I have single or double letters. d for Dictionary.com, dt for Thesaurus, w for Wikipedia, yt for YouTube, etc. You can also use it to set keyboard shortcuts for websites. So gm for Gmail, ch takes GameKnot for chess games, etc.

When I discovered that, I had the biggest grin on my face.

Dranyth wrote:

And if Opera was so dog-shit laggy with scrolling (on OS X, anyway), I'd still be using it. Firefox, comparatively, is silky smooth.

That is pretty strange. The scrolling is fine in Windows. Definitely an unfortunate problem that it's so messed up on OS X.

Dranyth wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote:

That is pretty strange. The scrolling is fine in Windows. Definitely an unfortunate problem that it's so messed up on OS X.

Yeah. Forum posts seem to indicate this is an issue on OS X, and has been for a long time. I saw some posts claiming it was fixed in the upcoming version's beta, so I even tried that, and it seems like it was marginally better, but still horrid compared to any other Mac browser. Safari, Firefox, Chrome, even Camino. None of them have this problem. I even tried it on another Mac, just to be sure it wasn't my machine being shitty.

It's really disappointing because I was actually liking a lot of things about it, but that's just such an annoying issue that I can't deal with on a day to day basis. I might give it a shot on my Windows machine to see how it is there.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote:

Disabling smooth scrolling in Opera will get rid of the lag.

Frem wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote:

Disabling smooth scrolling in Opera will get rid of the lag.

That was the first suggestion in all the forum posts.

The second suggestion was always to enable smooth scrolling.

Neither works.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Just constantly turn it on and off. Every 5 seconds.

Cyvros wrote: »

Firefox and Opera had this for years, except you had to set the shortcut manually. Chrome made it startlingly obvious by just doing it automatically for you and saving sites' search URLs automatically, making everything a shit-tonne less painful.

You can change the shortcut in Chrome, too, as you can in other browsers. Usually, I have single or double letters. d for Dictionary.com, dt for Thesaurus, w for Wikipedia, yt for YouTube, etc. You can also use it to set keyboard shortcuts for websites. So gm for Gmail, ch takes GameKnot for chess games, etc.

I know that, I used it on FF. But I dunno, it seems more magical and less nerdy on Chrome.

camo_sig2.png
    Just constantly turn it on and off. Every 5 seconds.

That was the third suggestion. Beyond that, it was mostly "LOLWHUTMACFAG?!"

Cyvros wrote: »

I know that, I used it on FF. But I dunno, it seems more magical and less nerdy on Chrome.

Pixie dust? In my search box?

Yes, please.

Yeah, the whole automatic adding makes everything less nerdy. Which was a good idea.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Is there any way in Chrome to view my Bookmarks like the Bookmarks-Sidebar in FF?

Grobian wrote: »
    Is there any way in Chrome to view my Bookmarks like the Bookmarks-Sidebar in FF?

That's one thing I miss from FF.

camo_sig2.png
    (F4 in Opera does this)

(F4 in Opera does this)

I definitely thought of mentioning this, but I figured it was understood. Opera does pretty much everything.

(F4 in Opera does this)

I definitely thought of mentioning this, but I figured it was understood. Opera does pretty much everything.
    I just like pointing it out all the time :D

edited March 2012
    Opera does pretty much everything.

This is a patent falsehood. If Opera did everything, the API would expose more, and there would an extension to sync notes with SimpleNote, and all would be forgiven. Or the IRC client could be extended to connect with a bouncer, and all would be forgiven. Or I'd be able to get rid of that stupid quick-reply thing in the email client, and all would be forgiven. As it stands, I have to keep holding grudges. Mumble mumble.

Frem on
    It also doesn't have the Ctrl+# thing for switching between tabs, something I really, really rely on. I'm not sure if they've finally enabled it, but I spent the better part of a week every six months for three years trying to figure out some way to add those keyboard shortcuts.

I eventually gave up and never tried it again. Which is a pity, because I liked Opera overall. The mini-server built into it is probably my favourite one of my software features ever.

But no.

:(

I... can't relate because I routinely have 15+ tabs open and can't see the use in being able to switch to a specific tab in one combination.

I just Ctrl-Tab and click. More click than Ctrl-Tab, except when I'm switching between two specific tabs, I love that behavior (Ctrl-Tab goes in most recently used tab order.)

See, the way it goes is Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+8 corresponds with the first 8 tabs, then Ctrl+9 always takes you to the last tab. For me, I'll usually have my more important tabs at the start, often pinned. So Ctrl+1 is Gmail. Ctrl+2 is Calendar. It's really useful if I've opened a bunch of links out of a page like TV Tropes or Google Reader, because that'll generally be the third or fourth tab. Even if I've opened a shitload of tabs afterwards, Ctrl+3 or whatever it is takes me straight back.

Also, I am definitely not a fan of MRU Ctrl+Tab switching. My mind treats browser tabs differently to open programs. Same with tabbed text editors, too. I simply can't get used to MRU switching, because I see the tab order shown and I automatically try and switch through keyboard shortcuts according to that order.

You are a terribly broken individual and I feel sorry for you.
    ;P

edited March 2012
    You can't see me, but I'm flipping you the bird.
    I tell a lie.
    I'm actually eating sea shanties and enjoying myself enormously.

Cyvros on

While it's great that this does work in Opera, I can't really imagine anyone using the default presentation of bookmarks in Chrome. So which extensions do you guys use for bookmarks?

I tried several and settled on "New Tab + Bookmark Tree" which at least gives me a scrollbar. Still, there have to be some better ones out there.

While it's great that this does work in Opera, I can't really imagine anyone using the default presentation of bookmarks in Chrome. So which extensions do you guys use for bookmarks?

The Delicious bookmarklet. Seriously.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Is there a reason Chrome seems to start a new process for each tab I open?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited March 2012
    It protects the tabs from each other, e.g. if one site crashes, your browser won't crash. You can press shift+esc to bring up the Chrome task manager, btw. Here's the technical information: http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/multi-process-architecture

Grobian on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Ah, well actually seems pretty sensible.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    I switched over to Chrome 2 years ago from Firefox when they released it for OS X and haven't looked back since. It's faster and nicer looking and actually keeps up with the times. I use OS X so therefore I use Lion and like Windows users, I like it when an application takes advantage of the awesome "Oh wow" features my OS has. For instance, Windows has some stuff like Taskbar previews (Which I actually also have on OS X by way of HyperDock, but that's off topic) and OS X has a special "space centric" Fullscreen mode and two-finger swipe for back/forward page navigation. When Lion came out, Google came out almost immediately saying "within 6 months we will have full Lion support". That support came faster than 6 months. (To the Dev channel at least) The Mozilla team on the other hand hasn't said a single word about natively supporting OS X's special features and it makes me so Changry.

The only reason I even keep Firefox around anymore literally is its DownloadHelper extension for which there is currently no Chrome equivalent. It lets you download non-DRM-protected videos from web sites. Either Flash or otherwise. It's very handy for when I want to keep something for later. Sure, there's YouTube extensions and web sites, but none work as well. So I keep Firefox and fire it up when I need to download a video. No biggie. But I would be so happy if they released a Chrome version. Guess they can't unless Google opens up the right API's. So until then, I just live with my dual-browser experience.

Other than that, I can't see any reason I'd ever want to go back. Chrome is just so much better. It's faster. The UI looks nicer. It's "Reopen closed tabs" feature is much better than anything Firefox has. Command+Shift+T and the tab I just closed returns exactly as it was complete with history in tact. It's really convenient. It makes much better use of extension support ironically by offering more limited support for what can and can't be done. (i.e., they open up only specific areas of the UI for extensions. Like putting them all in a toolbar icon, letting them replace new tabs, letting them run in the background either on all sites or select ones, it's really nice to be more streamlined like that.) I've even made a few of my own extensions. Including my own custom "New Tab" page because I couldn't stand the 1 second (Yes, 1 whole eternity-lasting second) delay when opening up Speed Dial or the limited capabilities of the built-in new tab. So I made my own. (Links are hard-coded into a JSON tree instead of stored in a database and loaded up slowly. It's what keeps the appearance speed to instant.)
    ibudZqea0qggdH.PNG

If I could change a few things I'd change the following: (OS X specific in some cases)
    In Fullscreen mode, there's currently no way to move tabs between open windows without exiting out of FS in both windows. They need to add some window management. Right now you can move tab around but can't drag them out. Would be nice if they made it so when you start dragging down and out of the tab bar an overview of the open windows shows up below and lets you drag into it and place tabs where you want.

I hate how the downloads bar stays open after downloads finish. I wish there could be an option to make it close 1 minute after the last file finishes downloading. But if I had the say I'd actually prefer they get rid of it and replace it with a more Safari-like pop-down that appears in the toolbar when files are downloading. Either one would be satisfactory.

The close X's sometimes get in the way. I have closed tabs accidentally far too often. I know I'd be going against some people by saying this, but I want an option where only the current tab has an X. It's a bigger problem when the tabs are small enough that they're hard to hit without the X. Way too many accidental closes.

Get rid of that ridiculous "Presentation Mode" icon in fullscreen view. It switches between Lion fullscreen with toolbar and tabs and original fullscreen where all the window chrome disappears. I don't use it. There's a menu equivalent for it. And it's just ugly and unpolished and uses up space.

In Lion, it would be nice if they gave Fullscreen a ChromeOS feel and added a clock to the tab bar corner since there is no clock in Fullscreen on Lion unless the app has one. I've had to add a clock myself by way of an extension which works fine for now, but it'd be nice to not need it.

Pinned Tabs are terrible. The way they should work is as follows. You pin a web site, it makes a sort of "Tab bookmark" where clicking it opens that page and locks that tab to that site, forcing all outside links to open in new tabs. If you close the page, the tab persists and stays around, but there's no process for it. There's no page for it. And when you click it again, it reopens to the original site that was pinned. They would optionally appear across windows. And they would accept the same Command+Number as normal tabs. So Command+1 would open your first pinned tab. Etc. I have so many sites I'd have pinned if they fixed this. This is how it should work. I am sad it doesn't. I don't use pinned tabs because of how useless they are. Even Firefox has better pinned tabs.

Other than that, I love Chrome and don't see my self going back to Firefox. Though Mountain Lion's Safari does tempt me with its iCloud integration. Especially since I use both OS X and iOS. But Safari just lacks so many things that I use every day to even be viable. All Safari has is a neat animation when swiping back and forth between pages. But I've grown to love Chrome's floating arrow.

edited March 2012
    Jasoco wrote: »
    It's "Reopen closed tabs" feature is much better than anything Firefox has. Command+Shift+T and the tab I just closed returns exactly as it was complete with history in tact. It's really convenient.
    Indeed it is. I do this all the time in Firefox. (Edit: well, with history. If the page has been modified using Javascript, the state won't always be preserved exactly.)
    Chrome is just so much better. It's faster.
    It's certainly faster to start if you don't have a saved session, and a little snappier overall if you don't have a ton of tabs open. When you hit about 50, I find Firefox is more responsive. If you're starting the browser and it's recovering a lot of tabs, Firefox is way faster with the "Don't load tabs until selected" feature.
    It makes much better use of extension support ironically by offering more limited support for what can and can't be done. (i.e., they open up only specific areas of the UI for extensions. Like putting them all in a toolbar icon, letting them replace new tabs, letting them run in the background either on all sites or select ones, it's really nice to be more streamlined like that.)
    That's great until you want something like Tab Candy (now absorbed into Firefox by default) or to change certain keybindings, or do some dramatic UI remodeling.

Frem on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Seems like the best place to ask. Chrome has stopped opening any and all https pages. It gives me a Security Error for each one.

"You attempted to reach mail.google.com, but the server presented an invalid certificate.
    You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain."

Gmail, twitter, it won't even let me google shit!

edited April 2012
    Seems like the best place to ask. Chrome has stopped opening any and all https pages. It gives me a Security Error for each one.

"You attempted to reach mail.google.com, but the server presented an invalid certificate.
    You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain."

My first thought is that your network and/or DNS server has been compromised. Possibly some malware has changed the DNS server your computer uses. Proceed with caution, and don't type anything important into the internet until you figure out what is going on.

Frem on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    This feels like a semi-good place to ask instead of wasting space with a new thread:

So, Gmail won't allow me to use the old style anymore, and the new one irritates the hell out of me.

Does anyone know, via stylesheets or some other arcane method or setting deep in gmail, that will at the very least put text back on the fucking buttons in Gmail? I'm not illiterate, I don't need gmail to look like it was made for a 4 year old. I liked being able to read what a button does instead of trying to descipher some incoherent blob of an icon on a button and hope it's what I'm looking for.

I'm about a minute away from hating the shit out of gmail because of this forced change to the idiotic new style. It used to be tip top, but at this point, it doesn't do anything that I can't still do in yahoo or hotmail for fucks sake. And neither of those treat me like I'm illiterate.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited April 2012
    BAM (so long as you have Greasemonkey). Or do what I do and learn all the keyboard shortcuts by heart. Though you might end up forgetting where the buttons for such things as the Inbox and Settings. Hell of a side effect I discovered three days ago. :D

Cyvros on
    Go to the options menu and select "Text" for the buttons rather than icons.

Frem wrote: »

My first thought is that your network and/or DNS server has been compromised. Possibly some malware has changed the DNS server your computer uses. Proceed with caution, and don't type anything important into the internet until you figure out what is going on.

My second thought is that your system clock might be off.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Alright, I'm ready to migrate to Chrome entirely after having used Firefox for like...shit feels like a decade now. I'm sick of the constant Flash crashes and other problems with the browser lately; and now when a youtube is imbedded into a page on the forums it totally dicks up Firefox and nothing works.

Anyway, there's two things I need to know.

1) How do set up Chrome to sync bookmarks and such? It's easy in Firefox, but the settings for Chrome feel very foreign to me. I've read you can do it.

2) is there a way to get an (ideally integrated) search box in Chrome like Firefox has, where you can just dropdown from a list of search engines to quickly search a specific website?

EDIT: oh, three questions I guess.

3) is there a way to change Chrome to allow you to drag and drop a tab into your bookmarks toolbar folders like on Firefox? That'd be nice.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand