As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February's done, go to the new thread

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    PC Gaming: Dying since 1996.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So even including the giant profit monsters that are F2P and facebook social games and such, PC still doesn't reach last years console market of 28.1b. In fact, not even suggested to surpass it even up to 2015.

Not dead, no, but I do wonder how much actual money is made off of 'proper' game releases and such. That'd be a figure I'd be far more interested in seeing, if you could cut out the social stuff and such.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Are you asking me?

If he liked it, he probably would have stayed, unless he was fired. It doesn't seem like that was the case.

He may have found a better opportunity to pursue his aims.

You may still like his future endeavours, possibly even more. Maybe not though. Wait and see, I suppose.

You asked me why I care that he's leaving, and I answered.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'm might buy Fable 3 in celebration/sympathy. Then again, I've heard Fable 3 sucks.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I'm might buy Fable 3 in celebration/sympathy. Then again, I've heard Fable 3 sucks.

"Sucks" is being kind to it.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    peter leaving Lionhead and Microsoft could be the best thing to happen to him.

Fable was great and ambitious. Fable 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Going back, Black and White, to this day, is the ONLY PC game I've ever purchased.

Milo, as silly as it was, was extremely ambitious and innovative.

Peter has been reigned in (and semi-rightfully so), and Fable 3 was awful. Maybe that's not a coincidence. Maybe the guy does his best work when he shoots for the fucking edge of the universe, and lands on the moon. And when Microsoft asked him to just shoot for the moon, it killed his spirit and we got...Fable 3.

The guy can't, and won't, quit games. He's too passionate. I hope he lands somewhere, or starts something, that lets him go wild again.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Going back, Black and White, to this day, is the ONLY PC game I've ever purchased.

Wow, really?

Hell I will buy you some classics on Steam right now.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I can see some potential in Fable:Kinect

It's probably not the most compelling potential, and not nearly as exciting as dancing storm troopers, but potential nonetheless.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Going back, Black and White, to this day, is the ONLY PC game I've ever purchased.

Wow, really?

Yeah, haha. I had a PC in college, which I bought Black and White for, and then played Soldier of Fortune because my college roomate had it. We also bought a Dreamcast.

Then, I got into editing, so I got a Mac. This was back when the only game the Mac had was NANOSAUR or whatever CAME with the Mac. it was a pre-intel, PPC iMac that just didn't have any games available.

I had that Mac until last year when it finally died, and I got a Netbook, which can't run anything other than Peggle.

I finally installed Steam and saw what it even was for the first time around Christmas.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options

Wow, really?

Yeah, haha. I had a PC in college, which I bought Black and White for, and then played Soldier of Fortune because my college roomate had it. We also bought a Dreamcast.

Then, I got into editing, so I got a Mac. This was back when the only game the Mac had was NANOSAUR or whatever CAME with the Mac. it was a pre-intel, PPC iMac that just didn't have any games available.

I had that Mac until last year when it finally died, and I got a Netbook, which can't run anything other than Peggle.

I finally installed Steam and saw what it even was for the first time around Christmas.

Ah man even with a netbook you can run a load of stuff that's available, especially old classics.

Should stop on by the Steam thread around sale time.

Also to keep this reply thread relevant, Paradox are not GAME fans.
    Paradox Interactive doesn't feel bad for GAME, because the UK retail giant has been "abusing" its power and "bullying" publisher partners for "a long time".

That those publishers are now turning their back on GAME is "karma", declared Paradox exec Fredrick Wester, talking to GamesIndustry International at GDC this week.

"GAME has basically been bullying people around and now it comes back to bite them on the ass," he said.

"It's been abusing their situation in the UK for a long time but it always comes back to you.

"Look at EA and Nintendo," Wester added, "they're not even willing to help. They will take the hit just to get rid of GAME and start over.

"One of the biggest problems is they haven't behaved nicely to other people, so it's karma."

Wester believes the "backdoor" option GAME has is to quickly get rid of underperforming territories and then sell to US mega-shop GameStop.

Paradox Interactive makes games predominantly for PC, and is the creator of digital distributor GamersGate. As such, the majority of its output (thanks to GAME/Gamestation not stocking PC games) is done online, certainly in the UK.

GAME is unable to stock 2012 blockbuster and 10/10 game Mass Effect 3 this week. GAME also won't stock EA games FIFA Street 3, The Sims 3: Showtime and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13.

Nintendo games The Last Story and Mario Party 9 haven't been stocked at game. It's unlikely future titles will appear there, but a definitive decision on them has yet to be made - it may turn out to be a case-by-case situation.

GAME also won't stock acclaimed upcoming fighting game Street Fighter x Tekken or Asura's Wrath.

Last week, Eurogamer investigated what would happen to the high street and UK games industry if GAME were to die.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-07-publisher-paradox-game-was-a-bully-this-is-karma

• Options
    peter leaving Lionhead and Microsoft could be the best thing to happen to him.

Fable was great and ambitious. Fable 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Going back, Black and White, to this day, is the ONLY PC game I've ever purchased.

Milo, as silly as it was, was extremely ambitious and innovative.

Peter has been reigned in (and semi-rightfully so), and Fable 3 was awful. Maybe that's not a coincidence. Maybe the guy does his best work when he shoots for the fucking edge of the universe, and lands on the moon. And when Microsoft asked him to just shoot for the moon, it killed his spirit and we got...Fable 3.

The guy can't, and won't, quit games. He's too passionate. I hope he lands somewhere, or starts something, that lets him go wild again.

He's apparently moving to some company started up by a former Lionhead guy, 22 Cans.

I now await the announcement of their first iOS social game.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    He's apparently moving to some company started up by a former Lionhead guy, 22 Cans.

Every one of these guys ever: We want to produce smaller, more unique games.
    Five months later: Here is our social game on the iOS. So unique.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Also to keep this reply thread relevant, Paradox are not GAME fans.
    Paradox Interactive doesn't feel bad for GAME, because the UK retail giant has been "abusing" its power and "bullying" publisher partners for "a long time".

That those publishers are now turning their back on GAME is "karma", declared Paradox exec Fredrick Wester, talking to GamesIndustry International at GDC this week.

"GAME has basically been bullying people around and now it comes back to bite them on the ass," he said.

"It's been abusing their situation in the UK for a long time but it always comes back to you.

"Look at EA and Nintendo," Wester added, "they're not even willing to help. They will take the hit just to get rid of GAME and start over.

"One of the biggest problems is they haven't behaved nicely to other people, so it's karma."

Wester believes the "backdoor" option GAME has is to quickly get rid of underperforming territories and then sell to US mega-shop GameStop.

Paradox Interactive makes games predominantly for PC, and is the creator of digital distributor GamersGate. As such, the majority of its output (thanks to GAME/Gamestation not stocking PC games) is done online, certainly in the UK.

GAME is unable to stock 2012 blockbuster and 10/10 game Mass Effect 3 this week. GAME also won't stock EA games FIFA Street 3, The Sims 3: Showtime and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13.

Nintendo games The Last Story and Mario Party 9 haven't been stocked at game. It's unlikely future titles will appear there, but a definitive decision on them has yet to be made - it may turn out to be a case-by-case situation.

GAME also won't stock acclaimed upcoming fighting game Street Fighter x Tekken or Asura's Wrath.

Last week, Eurogamer investigated what would happen to the high street and UK games industry if GAME were to die.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-07-publisher-paradox-game-was-a-bully-this-is-karma

Anyone get the feeling that you could add "stop" to every GAME in there and it'd probably be something they wish they could say too?

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Every one of these guys ever: We want to produce smaller, more unique games.
    Five months later: Here is our social game on the iOS. So unique.

Maybe it's just a rite of passage: you leave your job, you start a small studio, you make a few games for iOS to pay the bills... when somebody goes beyond that, we'll know what the next part of the passage is, I guess.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    GAME definitely do sell PC games. Just uh, putting that correction out there right now. That article reads like some amateur guys getting shots in at the store that wouldn't stock them.

Seeing them go wouldn't pain me too much, but I'd hate for Gamestation to get pulled down along with them. Their staff is great, there's good atmosphere to the stores. But man, they have had some grim stock issues lately; no MGS HD Collection, Mass Effect 3, Catherine...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Milo and Kate for iPad

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Why hello there Monster Hunter vita. Hope it's not a half-assed port of the PSP version, but the fact that it retains the Portable 3 title is worrying.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    You do realize that the other three that aren't MH are photoshops right?

If you don't then I have another game to announce for you.

KtNn2.png

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Oh dear. Now that's... something.

...So is at least Monster Hunter Vita legit?

• Options
    MH is real enough.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Nintendo just realizes that to take on Apple, they're going to have to work with an unlikely ally.
    Coming to a theater near you Summer 2013

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GAME definitely do sell PC games. Just uh, putting that correction out there right now. That article reads like some amateur guys getting shots in at the store that wouldn't stock them.

Seeing them go wouldn't pain me too much, but I'd hate for Gamestation to get pulled down along with them. Their staff is great, there's good atmosphere to the stores. But man, they have had some grim stock issues lately; no MGS HD Collection, Mass Effect 3, Catherine...

Oh they do, both PC games. You can find them buried at the back of the shop, next to the.. what is that, the PS1 pre-owned section?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2012 (Feb 27 - Mar 04)

01./00. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.01} (¥8.190) - 655.774 / NEW
    02./00. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2012.03.01} (¥4.800) - 43.155 / NEW
    03./02. [3DS] Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.02.23} (¥5.040) - 27.378 / 108.509 (-66%)
    04./00. [PSP] Great Battle Full Blast # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.01} (¥6.280) - 24.289 / NEW
    05./15. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 21.540 / 99.532 (+100%)
    06./08. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 18.945 / 1.546.212 (-9%)
    07./03. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Generation <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.23} (¥7.330) - 17.917 / 83.675 (-73%)
    08./07. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 16.142 / 1.386.318 (-25%)
    09./09. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 15.836 / 1.283.511 (-11%)
    10./01. [PSP] Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.23} (¥6.280) - 12.358 / 97.668 (-86%)
    11./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles <ADV> (FuRyu) {2012.03.01} (¥5.229) - 12.228 / NEW
    12./05. [PS3] Asura's Wrath <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.02.23} (¥6.990) - 7.795 / 38.103 (-74%)
    13./13. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 7.444 / 251.560 (-39%)
    14./11. [PS3] Binary Domain <ACT> (Sega) {2012.02.16} (¥8.390) - 6.775 / 95.364 (-55%)
    15./00. [PS3] UFC Undisputed 3 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.03.01} (¥7.329) - 6.198 / NEW
    16./21. [WII] Just Dance Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.13} (¥5.800) - 6.043 / 555.149
    17./18. [PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 5.224 / 30.527 (-36%)
    18./25. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990) - 5.156 / 207.523
    19./04. [PSP] I Don't Have Many Friends Portable # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.23} (¥6.800) - 5.142 / 62.111 (-91%)
    20./22. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Spec II <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.02.02} (¥4.980) - 4.922 / 53.096

Top 20

3DS - 8
    PS3 - 6
    PSP - 5
    WII - 1

HARDWARE
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |  3DS  |     70.744 |     76.322 |    209.623 |    891.545 |    584.387 |   5.173.688 |
    |  PS3  |     65.116 |     27.111 |     25.918 |    308.385 |    267.169 |   7.944.770 |
    | PSP # |     15.715 |     15.928 |     77.326 |    204.934 |    464.402 |  18.934.318 |
    |  PSV  |     10.023 |     11.186 |            |    160.035 |            |     600.021 |
    |  WII  |      8.111 |      7.878 |     11.654 |    125.156 |    177.867 |  12.288.377 |
    |  PS2  |      1.377 |      1.269 |      1.750 |      9.504 |     16.898 |  21.783.611 |
    | NDS # |      1.363 |      1.639 |     17.096 |     22.123 |    264.103 |  32.830.609 |
    |  360  |      1.248 |      1.508 |      2.353 |     13.340 |     24.648 |   1.549.385 |
    |  ALL  |    173.697 |    142.841 |    345.720 |  1.735.022 |  1.799.474 | 101.104.779 |
    | DSiLL |        810 |        977 |      8.951 |     12.601 |    136.890 |   2.306.920 |
    |  DSi  |        553 |        662 |      7.388 |      9.522 |    113.708 |   5.843.572 |
    |  PSP  |     15.715 |     15.928 |     76.246 |    204.934 |    453.746 |  18.758.331 |

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Vita over 10k by 23 copies. Holy shit. Maybe the Monster Hunter leak will do something about it, maybe..?

And One Piece. I knew it was popular, but not... that popular. Wow.

EVOL on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Edit - didn't notice the numbers up above

PSV is in trouble. They just can't compete with 3DS's line up.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I am so, so sorry....

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    EVOL wrote: »

Musou + One Piece = money.

• Options

Musou + One Piece = berri.

• Options

Musou + One Piece = berri.
    Sanjibounty.jpg
    Touche.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I am so, so sorry....

I just keep telling myself that I am going to be flooded with the most amazing goodness when I finally have the cash to devote to a good PC.

But console only hasnt been a HORRIBLE life...

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Gentlemen, I give you Fable: Staring at a Horse's Ass.

vista01_530x298.jpg
    "Your horse pays the price for your mistakes," Peter Molyneux says during a demo for Fable: The Journey, Lionhead's upcoming Kinect-powered spin-off. The Journey is centered around a young man and his trusty steed and sets out to forge a bond between the two, similar to the relationship players had with their dog in Fable 2.

Molyneux wants us to care about the animal throughout the gesture-based adventure.
    But unlike pet management games like Kinectimals, Lionhead's goal is to offer players a Kinect-enabled experience that features the same moral dilemmas Fable fans will recognize. Choices made in Fable: The Journey will affect the world and the disposition of your horse.

Molyneux expressed his usual level of enthusiasm during the demo, promising players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning. My experience did not go as advertised. Molyneux doesn't tell me exactly what to expect and all of a sudden I'm steering the carriage. Things quickly fall apart. The horse takes my gestures as suggestions, rather than orders. I wrestle with the reins, eventually easing into the experience and the demo ends.

In another demo later in the week, I saw one journalist struggle to grasp the concept. He kept trying to steer the carriage like he was holding a very large invisible steering wheel. This doesn't seem like what Lionhead has in mind.

Atop my carriage, I took a brisk tour of the countryside. After, Molyneux jumped the demo forward to an on-foot segment, where I flicked my right hand to shoot fireballs at a group of seemingly harmless fairies. I mean, they didn't attack me; they were just kind of there. Depending on how animated I was with my right arm, the fireball would be larger or smaller, but tiny fairies aren't the best enemy to gauge how much more damage my stronger flailing is worth.

I also got a taste of the game's leash-like jellyfish thing, a sentient being Molyneux described as a smart whip -- you use it to grab enemies, fling them into the air, or interact with things in the environment. Eventually you can add tendrils to it as you upgrade it throughout the game. In the context of the one battle in this demo, I used it to pull down some stone columns onto a very agile Balverine. Molyneux tells me that overusing the leash mechanic will cause it to lock up, and the player will have to calm it down with soothing speech, though none of that was available in this demo.

The Balverine jumped around the screen while I flicked my right wrist a lot, spouting fireballs. It wasn't the most interesting tactic, but spamming the move was a viable option.

In the end, each portion of gameplay was around five minutes, lacking enough cohesion to give me any sense for how all of these things would come together in the final product. Molyneux promises that players will be able to control their steed with their voice too; again, this feature was not available during the demo.

Instead, the strongest feature was the Unreal Engine foundation of Fable: The Journey. Albion is a beautiful place to lazily navigate a horse-drawn carriage through, offering environments ranging from lush green fields to the craggy spires in the image above. The gameplay in my demo may have failed to enthrall me, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking a journey back to Albion to see its sights again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/fable-the-journey-dares-us-to-steer-a-relationship-in-the-right/

Potential tranwreck in the making.

It's true, if a games journalist is struggling to play a game within a few minutes of their first demonstration, the game is a trainwreck. Games journalists are notoriously talented gamers who learn mechanics very quickly.

True. Then again, games journalists tend to have more skill than the average gamer, and if they aren't getting it in five minutes, even when Molyneux flat-out says "players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning," there's a problem.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular

Wow, really?

Heh I am in a very similar situation. Ever since I am on the Mac non-console gaming dropped to near zero, aside from Starcraft 2. Hell now that I do not have my 360 around, the only game I play is SC2. Finishing up a PhD is not conductive to gaming as it turns out....

960751-1.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Have there been any good announcements about games at the GDC this year? Seems quiet for some reason.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Has there been any good announcements about games at the GDC this year? Seems quiet for some reason.

Let's see, there's a new SimCity and something called Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220179p1.html

Is it just me or is that name hilarious? "Fight Night: Facepuncher!" "Need for Speed: Vehicledriver!"

• Options
    Apparently it's based on a real army word but it's still stupid as hell.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Gentlemen, I give you Fable: Staring at a Horse's Ass.

vista01_530x298.jpg
    "Your horse pays the price for your mistakes," Peter Molyneux says during a demo for Fable: The Journey, Lionhead's upcoming Kinect-powered spin-off. The Journey is centered around a young man and his trusty steed and sets out to forge a bond between the two, similar to the relationship players had with their dog in Fable 2.

Molyneux wants us to care about the animal throughout the gesture-based adventure.
    But unlike pet management games like Kinectimals, Lionhead's goal is to offer players a Kinect-enabled experience that features the same moral dilemmas Fable fans will recognize. Choices made in Fable: The Journey will affect the world and the disposition of your horse.

Molyneux expressed his usual level of enthusiasm during the demo, promising players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning. My experience did not go as advertised. Molyneux doesn't tell me exactly what to expect and all of a sudden I'm steering the carriage. Things quickly fall apart. The horse takes my gestures as suggestions, rather than orders. I wrestle with the reins, eventually easing into the experience and the demo ends.

In another demo later in the week, I saw one journalist struggle to grasp the concept. He kept trying to steer the carriage like he was holding a very large invisible steering wheel. This doesn't seem like what Lionhead has in mind.

Atop my carriage, I took a brisk tour of the countryside. After, Molyneux jumped the demo forward to an on-foot segment, where I flicked my right hand to shoot fireballs at a group of seemingly harmless fairies. I mean, they didn't attack me; they were just kind of there. Depending on how animated I was with my right arm, the fireball would be larger or smaller, but tiny fairies aren't the best enemy to gauge how much more damage my stronger flailing is worth.

I also got a taste of the game's leash-like jellyfish thing, a sentient being Molyneux described as a smart whip -- you use it to grab enemies, fling them into the air, or interact with things in the environment. Eventually you can add tendrils to it as you upgrade it throughout the game. In the context of the one battle in this demo, I used it to pull down some stone columns onto a very agile Balverine. Molyneux tells me that overusing the leash mechanic will cause it to lock up, and the player will have to calm it down with soothing speech, though none of that was available in this demo.

The Balverine jumped around the screen while I flicked my right wrist a lot, spouting fireballs. It wasn't the most interesting tactic, but spamming the move was a viable option.

In the end, each portion of gameplay was around five minutes, lacking enough cohesion to give me any sense for how all of these things would come together in the final product. Molyneux promises that players will be able to control their steed with their voice too; again, this feature was not available during the demo.

Instead, the strongest feature was the Unreal Engine foundation of Fable: The Journey. Albion is a beautiful place to lazily navigate a horse-drawn carriage through, offering environments ranging from lush green fields to the craggy spires in the image above. The gameplay in my demo may have failed to enthrall me, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking a journey back to Albion to see its sights again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/fable-the-journey-dares-us-to-steer-a-relationship-in-the-right/

Potential tranwreck in the making.

It's true, if a games journalist is struggling to play a game within a few minutes of their first demonstration, the game is a trainwreck. Games journalists are notoriously talented gamers who learn mechanics very quickly.

True. Then again, games journalists tend to have more skill than the average gamer, and if they aren't getting it in five minutes, even when Molyneux flat-out says "players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning," there's a problem.

I have to mention that one Joystiq writer who couldn't figure out where to go fishing in the first few hours of Nier, and scored the game low as a result. All he had to do was look at the minimap.

• Options
    "Tomb Raider: Boobhaver!" "Thief: Crapstealer!" "Final Fantasy: Wordexpeller!"

I'll stop now.

Meanwhile, anyone here heard of a Sega game called Binary Domain? Apparently it's a sci-fi shooter that's quite good.

...that they intentionally released the same day as Mass Effect 3. Sega, were you TRYING to make that game fail? Delaying it a month wouldn't have killed you.

• Options
    Newres wrote: »

Wow, really?

Heh I am in a very similar situation. Ever since I am on the Mac non-console gaming dropped to near zero, aside from Starcraft 2. Hell now that I do not have my 360 around, the only game I play is SC2. Finishing up a PhD is not conductive to gaming as it turns out....

And you guys are why something like a Steam Box is a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.