As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Out with Kony 2012, in with indecent exposure

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I posit that we start an organization called the UNATCO.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Doesn't Interpol already exist?

The international police organisation, that is

not the terrible band

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

No. SAVAGE.

In all seriousness, you stop one man and maybe some of his army. Some of the children have known nothing but this their whole lives and are now adults. When he goes down I genuinely wonder what the plan is to prevent someone else who has been there and known only violence from stepping up to take his place : /

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

not the terrible band

Chico was making a joke about a different terrible band.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

not the terrible band

Chico was making a joke about a different terrible band.

Faygo for all!

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

No. SAVAGE.

In all seriousness, you stop one man and maybe some of his army. Some of the children have known nothing but this their whole lives and are now adults. When he goes down I genuinely wonder what the plan is to prevent someone else who has been there and known only violence from stepping up to take his place : /

i feel like this situation is even tougher to predict than those involving other militias since it's more of a cult of personality based around kony. would his defeat break them or would they just splinter off into several small militias? who knows

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

this characterization of LRA is not true. they are not on their last legs. they may be committing fewer acts of violence in uganda, i can't say for sure, but they're in several countries: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Thousands-Flee-LRA-Attacks-in-Congo-141575123.html

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Isn't the LRA a Christian organization?

I mean, its not like they are dirty muslins. Why shouldn't we let them continue to do God's work?

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Here's an article on an earlier film by Invisible Children, LLC that highlights the same issues with the group that have come up with KONY 2012.
    Via Chris Blattman, we learned that Invisible Children (brief background of the organization: 3 kids go to Africa, make movie about child soldiers, show it to every college student on the planet) has launched a new film and campaign: “Abduct Yourself to Free the Abducted.” Um.

Chris posts a letter he wrote to Invisible Children’s Mission Director explaining his discomfort with the project. He makes the point that their work is (a) kind of obsessed with glorifying the filmmakers, (b) based on a creepy, White Man’s Burden-y savior complex, and (c) taking up resources that could be occupied by “intelligent advocacy.”

We completely agree and offer this photo of the three founders of Invisible Children in support of the “who is this about anyway?” critique:

QmKwD.jpg

We also have a couple of related concerns:

First, organizations like Invisible Children not only take up resources that could be used to fund more intelligent advocacy, they take up rhetorical space that could be used to develop more intelligent advocacy. And yeah, this may seem like an absurdly academic point to raise when talking about a problem that is clearly crying out for pragmatic solutions, but, uh, the way we define problems is important. Really, really important. Choosing to simplistically define Congolese women as “The Raped” and Ugandan children as “The Abducted” constrains our ability to think creatively about the problems they face, and work with them to combat these problems.

Second, treating their problems as one-dimensional issues that can be solved by a handful of plucky college students armed only with the strength of their convictions and a video camera doesn’t help anyone. These gets back to something very simple and very smart that Alanna Shaikh wrote a few months ago:

“Bad development work is based on the idea that poor people have nothing. Something is better than nothing, right? So anything you give these poor people will be better than what they had before.”

By the same token, any old awareness advocacy you dream up doesn’t necessarily constitute “helping.” And while we’re on the subject of what does and doesn’t help, maybe don’t get photographed fondling big (former) rebel guns. Just saying.

*Photo taken by photographer and total rockstar Glenna Gordon on the Sudan-Congo border in April 2008. Team not-so-invisible-children poses with the SPLA… and their weapons.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Arrest Chico for butt crimes against humanity.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This is a really good read:

Stop Kony, yes. But don’t stop asking questions
    My mother’s family are members of the Acholi tribe, and they hail from Gulu, a town in Northern Uganda. Northern Uganda is a place which has experienced significant ups and downs in recent decades, but all the same I was very surprised to come home last night to find talk of it all over Twitter. And the hashtags continued this morning – #stopkony, #Kony2012, #stopKony2012, #InvisibleChildren, #MakeKonyFamous, #CoverTheNight, #LRA, #Uganda. All of a sudden, my family’s region was famous – or, at least, trending on Twitter. What was all this about?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

My mother’s family are members of the Acholi tribe, and they hail from Gulu, a town in Northern Uganda. Northern Uganda is a place which has experienced significant ups and downs in recent decades, but all the same I was very surprised to come home last night to find talk of it all over Twitter. And the hashtags continued this morning – #stopkony, #Kony2012, #stopKony2012, #InvisibleChildren, #MakeKonyFamous, #CoverTheNight, #LRA, #Uganda. All of a sudden, my family’s region was famous – or, at least, trending on Twitter. What was all this about?

it was all about
    White people suddenly discover Uganda & LRA: Twitter Edition.

• Options
    am I the only person who is getting slightly annoyed at the constant refrain of "white people" on the internet

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    yep

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    stop the discrimination

• Options
    especially since it is mostly white people saying it

it strikes me as terribly hypocritical sometimes

• Options
    Well, if anyone else said they hated White People, it would be racist.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    as a white hipster who just discovered uganda,

• Options
    yes because the moms and dads I know who are sharing the Kony 2012 video on Facebook are definitely hipsters

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I always get a kick out of white people complaining about white people.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    man I love white people, they make my skin look good when I've tanned

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I love it when white people comment on white people complaining about white people.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    White people complaining about white people who complain about white people.

Its all white people, all the way down.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So many white people...

• Options
    brb dreaming of a world where everyone is brown

• Options
    White man...white woman...white baby.
    White man...BLACK woman...black baby.
    BLACK man...white woman...black baby.

• Options
    Black man...black man...white baby

• Options
    I noticed people putting up these Kony 2012 pics on their Facebook and it looks like they are supporting him. I guess the idea is awareness and that will get people to google him and find out what is going on but the pics are misleading.

• Options
    Kony/Santorum 2012

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    man I love white people, they make my skin look good when I've tanned

brofist

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Black man, black woman... WHITE baby.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0xwyGoOBU

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

I don't have to read up on what's going on in Syria anymore right? All Kony this week.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

it was all about
    White people suddenly discover Uganda & LRA: Twitter Edition.

You don't understand. A bunch of celebrities saw a youtube video. Nothing could be more important.

I mean good on them but this shit has been going on for years.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    ok, so i watched the video, and it splurted this noblesse oblige/colonialist santorum all over me. how do i get this shit off?

(seriously, this Invisible Children outfit is pretty disgusting in its approach.)

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »

I don't have to read up on what's going on in Syria anymore right? All Kony this week.

man, I wish something would change for the better in Syria. it positively infuriates me how useless the UN is sometimes.

• Options
    gtrmp wrote: »
    QmKwD.jpg

Every time this page loads and this image scrolls past, all I can think of is the Icy Hot Stuntaz...

• Options
    ok, so i watched the video, and it splurted this noblesse oblige/colonialist santorum all over me. how do i get this shit off?

(seriously, this Invisible Children outfit is pretty disgusting in its approach.)

how so?

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Look guys, it's totally cool. We don't need to understand the region or the problem. We'll just push for military intervention and get Kony arrested/killed and then we can pretend we've solved the problem, celebrate what we've accomplished, and go back to ignoring a region that has some deep seated problems that we don't really care about while feeling smug about helping the world.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I really don't understand the backlash here. Raising awareness is bad now?

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    I really don't understand the backlash here. Raising awareness is bad now?

Because people are doing nothing but raising awareness and thinking they've "done their bit" when in reality they've done fuck all except pat themselves on the back.

t9migZb.jpg
This discussion has been closed.