As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Zonugal wrote: »
    @Baroque And Roll have you ever read any Emerson?

I only ask because he is my favorite philosopher.

I have read bits and pieces of Emerson. Suggestions?

Self-Reliance.

Which might be one of my favorite pieces of philosophy ever.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    well, finally dropped spanish.

sucks, cause i talked to the advisor on monday and he said i did not need a C to pass the class, only a D. my grades at the time were definitely below a D. he recommended i talk to the professor and go from there, and i talked to him that day and he said i'm way behind in class and it would be difficult to pull it out.

Sucks, cause that's 3 more hours that i'll have to make up at some point when i've already got 7 hours of pre-req's not accounted for on my degree plan because of my minor. i only need 2 more classes for my major and two more for my minor. i was hoping to graduate by fall 2012 but i may end up taking 3 hours in the spring and finishing then.

always hated dropping a class, only my second time to drop a legitimately difficult class for me. fuck.

at least i get to stop stressing over spanish for the time being and can focus on my other classes that are more important (to me) to hopefully end the semester with far better grades.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I mean look at the bright side of that

no more spanish

true, no more spanish for now.

until i have to retake it sometime within the next year and will probably have shitty retention as i have in the past. BUT if i do it right it may be the last 3 hours i finish up with and i'll be all over that shit and when i pass i'll be giving everybody the finger

Yeah, that actually sucks, having to take it again later

my retention on spanish vocabulary is awful, but I'm able to retain it long enough for quizzes and tests and make passable attempts at translating full passages

wish we spoke it more in class though instead of just doing all of the writing

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    that womps, DL

Are you trying to finish 2320? I'm taking that in the fall, most likely

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    yeah, 2320.

recommendation would be to take benavides if you get the chance. sure, she bitches about how racist americans are, doesn't teach much from the book, but her hw grades are completion, she highly values class participation, and her compositions allow you to use a dictionary. i got a C in her class last semester. she also loves the beatles.

and yeah, part of the problem is i have a serious deficit of spanish verbs and have an extremely difficult time keeping the tenses correct for conjugation.

really loathing this requirement.

Hello deficiency in spanish verbs

can never keep them straight in my head, most annoying thing in the world

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    "Baroque And Roll" have you ever read any Emerson?

Self-Reliance.

Oh dude, Self-Reliance is fantastic.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    2 years in highschool, 3 completed semesters in college, 1/2 a semester away from finishing up and gotta throw in the towel.

that sting? that's pride fucking with you. fuck pride. pride only hurts.

Ugh yeah, that sucks a lot dude sorry to hear that. I'm in my third year of high school of it right now, but I'm planning on taking arabic at college, so I'll have to work on that a bunch this summer

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    My Chem exam was as hard as I expected :/

I think I got an A, hopefully

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Day 1 of practicals.

Both morning TA's failed to understand the need to split their section in half.

Time for scathing e-mail.

Behold the power of the Head TA.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Had to cancel a procedure in the hospital because my patient decided to have a party in his nose while no one was looking.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    yesterday a professor sends an email ten minutes after class has started, declaring that class is canceled

I have a class with her right before, and she knows that because there are only a dozen or so people in each

I even said "see you in bit" and she responded "yeah!"

this woman cancels class constantly, or ends early, and when she is there she has nothing prepared besides "hey how'd you guys like x"

I have her for three classes god DAMN IT I am sick of this bullshit

I am writing a paper right now on a novel I've already written a paper on this semester, because she cross-assigned reading so she wouldn't have to do as much

"I've made copies of the papers of people who have me for two classes, so make sure your papers on the same book don't have any of the same quotations!"

I could understand a totally different topic, hell, I'd even expect it--but god damn it I used all the good quotes in the first paper

FUCK

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Had to cancel a procedure in the hospital because my patient decided to have a party in his nose while no one was looking.

how rude

he could've at least invited everyone

zkHcp.jpg
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    on the plus side I thought I'd failed a german mid-term and actually got a 90 on it, in addition to a note that said "Sehr Gut! Thank you, I needed this. Most people did terribly!"

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Self-Reliance.

Have you ever read any Nietzsche?

He's a pretty fun read.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    quote of the day

we had ampule medication and one of our older guys says to the guy next to him "woo stink bombs" and the young guy goes "Phil, I was born in the 90s"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular

Self-Reliance.

Have you ever read any Nietzsche?

He's a pretty fun read.

Nietzsche is something I'm super well-versed in.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    yeah, 2320.

recommendation would be to take benavides if you get the chance. sure, she bitches about how racist americans are, doesn't teach much from the book, but her hw grades are completion, she highly values class participation, and her compositions allow you to use a dictionary. i got a C in her class last semester. she also loves the beatles.

and yeah, part of the problem is i have a serious deficit of spanish verbs and have an extremely difficult time keeping the tenses correct for conjugation.

Are you gonna try to finish it in the fall or do something else?

edit: I ask because of the slight chance we could take the same class. I've somehow gotten through 3 semesters okay so maybe I can help somehow.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    March break is about half over. All of my friends went home for the break but I stayed here because I wanted to get work done. I have a big paper and two homework assignments due Monday, and another big paper and homework assignment due Tuesday. So since there is nobody here to hang out with or distract me you would think I would have some of this stuff done but no, watching Youtube videos and playing Pokemon is a far better use of my time apparently.

I don't even have either of the papers started.

edited March 2012
    Marth wrote: »
    yeah, 2320.

Are you gonna try to finish it in the fall or do something else?

edit: I ask because of the slight chance we could take the same class. I've somehow gotten through 3 semesters okay so maybe I can help somehow.

i haven't decided yet. i was thinking of taking industrial psych, capstone, in the fall. try to take the intro ess course in the summer, and anatomy & physiology + lab, so that in the fall i can do industrial psych, capstone, excercise & physiology + lab, and take spanish in the spring while working full time? OR spanish in summer and intro course (can't be that hard), take a&p in the fall and graduate spring with exercise & physiology.

it's...a ways off to think about at least. i'd totally be down for same class, i just don't want to mess with it in the fall with more course load because it did kind of interfere with my other classes. i'll be the first to say that i fuck around occasionally, but i've always got my shit done fairly well. i'd like to continue to raise my gpa these last semesters if i'm going to have to be here.

edit: @Taya you have plenty of time, 4 days. knock out a couple of assignments a day. clear the easy ones so you have less to worry about and then write your papers.

Dead Legend on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    I have scheduled my final year or university. For my last semester, I will have mondays and fridays off. The semester before that will be absolutely insane though, on mondays I have a class at 0900, then my next class is at 1800.

It will be nice to be done after next year.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    17/50 thumbnails

ughh it needs to be spring break

uc3ufTB.png
    i have heard that night classes are the way to go

my roommate apparently really likes his.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Night classes kind of suck when you also have morning classes, though.

To be fair, I was already having some sleep problems when I had that sort of schedule. It might not normally be as bad as it was for me.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    It depends how early the morning classes are. working at the bar and waking up for 8 & 9ams taught me a lot

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    I've got a 17:00-19:00 class and a 16:00-18:00 class this semester. I like having late afternoon/evening classes because they (typically) only meet once a week. Yeah, doing the homework kind of sucks because you're cramming two classes worth into one session, but getting the same amount of credit for a once a week class is pretty sweet.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    So my exam schedule as it stands is six tests in four days

One prof has said she really doesn't want to reschedule, one prof said she absolutely will
    Gonna ask a couple more, see if I can relocate genetics and maybe calculus

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    my god the canterbury tales

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    If I decide to stop attending this college for next quarter and attend community college I am going to lose my health insurance (my parents don't have insurance I can piggyback on). Since I am swaying toward CC right now I figure I should start looking into this. Any ideas?

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Welp got back a test I thought I did really good but nope 53%.

Can't fucking do anything right

icGJy2C.png
  • MangoTangoMangoTango Registered User regular

How many more exams do you have? That's not so low that you can't still do fairly okay in the class. What subject is it?

Hello, and welcome to my signature.
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    62 on my last French test

It's been a stressful couple of weeks.

emot-smithicide.gif

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    MangoTango wrote: »

How many more exams do you have? That's not so low that you can't still do fairly okay in the class. What subject is it?

There is 5 weeks left which is enough time. One more test for this class. It's Microprocessors and the test was about assembler and future tests will be.

I just have to stop being complete butts.

icGJy2C.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Organic chem test tomorrow

I've studied all the reactions

so many times

here's hoping I can ace this

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Good luck Butler, a friend of mine ended up having to take Organic Chem three times before she finally passed it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I'm feeling pretty confident, as long as we don't get any curveballs thrown at us.

This discussion has been closed.