As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Hi! Welcome to the video game industry thread. Here we discuss things like sales figures, game development, studio closures, executive quotes, marketing and general business stuff. Also poop jokes. And frequent references to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMSHvgaUWc8

And now, February's NPD numbers.

With hardware and software combined, total new video-game sales rang up at $1.06 billion for last month; a 20 percent decline from the $1.33 billion spent during the same period last year. Breaking that total down, hardware sales accounted for $381.4 million of all moneys spent in February, down 18 percent year over year, while software sales accounted for $464.4 million (down 23 percent year over year) and accessories sales brought in $215.2 million, down 16 percent year over year.

Despite those year over year declines, hardware sales increased 62 percent over January, Vita sales notwithstanding. Factoring in Sony's new handheld boosts that figure all the way up to 87 percent.

On the software front, the Vita's best-selling launch title was Uncharted: Golden Abyss, earning a spot among the month's top 20 overall best-selling titles. The top ten best-selling titles for February can be found after the break, with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning being the only new IP to make the list.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3, 360)
UFC Undisputed 3 (360, PS3)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360, PS3, PC) -- 330,000
Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, PSP, Wii, PC, PS2)
SoulCalibur 5 (360, PS3)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
Twisted Metal 2012 (PS3) -- 221K
Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)

Asura's Wrath -- 36,000
Syndicate -- 34,000

360 -- 426,000
Wii -- 228K
3DS -- 262K
DS -- 135K
PlayStation 3 -- 360K (PR Math)
PlayStation Vita - 225K (PR Math)

Portable game launch month comparisons:

GBA - 20 - 27 days in launch month NPD, 870K
PSP - 10 days, 619K
NDS - 8 days, 480K
3DS - 7 days, 400K
PSV - 11 days, 225K

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    "The New iPad" just seems like terrible branding.

Gonna seem silly in a year when it's...the Old iPad, I guess?

YL9WnCY.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But seriously, kotaku is asking for a 4chan link for verification?

steam_sig.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The Deus Ex: HR guys apologize for being stupid about bosses, imagine that:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/07/deus-ex-human-revolution-designer-on-boss-fights-we-are-truly-sorry/

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

At which point there will be a New New iPad.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

iPad Classic. They'll sell millions when people don't like the taste of New iPad.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

I, for one, would pay money for a Super iPad

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

iPad 64

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The new iPad Mini. All the features of an iPad, but 60% smaller and can fit into your pocket.

If your first thought upon reading that is "...hey wait a minute...", congratulations, you are still sane.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Well, here's something interesting. Apparently Gabe Newell is now a billionaire.

gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/07/valve-39-s-gabe-newell-is-one-of-the-industry-s-richest-men.aspx

Well, here's something interesting. Apparently Gabe Newell is now a billionaire.

gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/07/valve-39-s-gabe-newell-is-one-of-the-industry-s-richest-men.aspx

Well deserved IMO. He saved PC gaming.

I don't know where else to post this and it doesn't seem quite worthy of its own thread, but...

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-02/compact-mechanical-crossbow-nails-targets-precision-laser

I am pretty sure this was in Deus Ex.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    This Kotaku dude really doesn't get it. Then again, he does work at Kotaku.
    Oh man, apparently I am today's NeoGAF punching bag.

Okay - let me address this one more time before I get back to work. When I see a rumor, it seems plausible to me, and I feel as if our readers would want to hear it, I'll do several things:

1. Contact all of the companies involved.
    2. Do as much research into the story as possible.
    3. Make it clear that what I'm reporting is an unverified rumor.

After doing all of those things, if I still feel that the rumor is plausible, I'll post the story. As I did in this case. As more information becomes available, I'll update the story accordingly. As I did in this case. (In case you didn't notice, both Sony and Square Enix responded with a resounding "no comment." Other companies didn't respond.)

Now, I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be fake, both because I don't want to be wrong and because I really want a Vita version of Type-0, but if it is, so be it. I've been wrong before. I'll be wrong again. I hate being wrong as much as anyone would, but it happens. We live in a world where publishers are excruciatingly tightlipped and Internet denizens with lots of spare time like to make things up. All I can do is follow my instincts and do my best to make sure everything I'm reporting is accurate. And when it isn't, all I can do is hold myself accountable for my mistakes and do my best to correct them as quickly and as clearly as possible.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

I'd hold out for Super iPad: Tournament Edition.

YL9WnCY.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/epic-games-china-isnt-quite-part-of-epic-games-but-kinda-sorta/
    Yesterday, we went to a GDC appointment with "Epic Games China" to see a game called Mercenary Ops. Built in Unreal Engine 3 and filled with Gears of War-esque gameplay, it was revealed as the first project from "Epic Games China." As it turns out, that's not quite true. "Mercenary Ops is being developed by Ying Pei Games, which was formerly Epic Games China. However, as with our many development and publishing partners, they are utilizing Unreal Engine technology," Epic Games' US reps told The Verge.

More bizarre? "Ying Pei" in Mandarin means "Epic," making "Ying Pei Games" the equivalent of ... "Epic Games." According to Epic Games (the American one), "We do own a minority stake in Ying Pei Games and we do work with them as with our other Unreal Engine developers, but Epic Games is not developing Mercenary Ops."

Additionally, EpicGamesChina.com directs to the Ying Pei website, and we were told by reps yesterday that the studio is a "subsidiary" of Epic Games US. The game's publisher, "Delkans," is brand new to North American publishing and has two mystery owners from the tech sector, making this whole story all the stranger.
    Okaaaay.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/epic-games-china-isnt-quite-part-of-epic-games-but-kinda-sorta/
    Yesterday, we went to a GDC appointment with "Epic Games China" to see a game called Mercenary Ops. Built in Unreal Engine 3 and filled with Gears of War-esque gameplay, it was revealed as the first project from "Epic Games China." As it turns out, that's not quite true. "Mercenary Ops is being developed by Ying Pei Games, which was formerly Epic Games China. However, as with our many development and publishing partners, they are utilizing Unreal Engine technology," Epic Games' US reps told The Verge.

More bizarre? "Ying Pei" in Mandarin means "Epic," making "Ying Pei Games" the equivalent of ... "Epic Games." According to Epic Games (the American one), "We do own a minority stake in Ying Pei Games and we do work with them as with our other Unreal Engine developers, but Epic Games is not developing Mercenary Ops."

Additionally, EpicGamesChina.com directs to the Ying Pei website, and we were told by reps yesterday that the studio is a "subsidiary" of Epic Games US. The game's publisher, "Delkans," is brand new to North American publishing and has two mystery owners from the tech sector, making this whole story all the stranger.
    Okaaaay.

Red headed step child syndrome?

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Pfft, iPad. I'll just use my iPhone.
    Get this. It's an iPad that actually fits in my pocket. And it can make phone calls!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

This news does make me question his position from a couple years ago to not take Valve public (stock), as he stated integrity in video game design as the reason (boards of directors don't give a shit about integrity, and he's right). Could be that he's rich as fuck and wants to control that. That or maybe it's both, I'll give ol' Gabe the benefit of the doubt.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/07/deus-ex-human-revolution-designer-on-boss-fights-we-are-truly-sorry/

Not surprising. They did outsource the bossfight segments and even when the game had just launched you can tell there was regret on their part for making that happen.

Henroid wrote: »

This news does make me question his position from a couple years ago to not take Valve public (stock), as he stated integrity in video game design as the reason (boards of directors don't give a shit about integrity, and he's right). Could be that he's rich as fuck and wants to control that. That or maybe it's both, I'll give ol' Gabe the benefit of the doubt.

Both of those are entirely reasonable positions for him to take.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Wouldn't making valve public make him richer?

steam_sig.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Taking Valve public would set him up to be rich as fuck anyway. I'd rather Newell get filthy rich off of a privately held Valve while keeping the company a great place to work for than take it public and have a bunch of fat cat Wall Street types squeezing every possibly penny out of Valve and Steam to the ultimate detriment of the platform and workplace before it finally collapses under its own weight and they waddle off to find the next thing to wring dry.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

If the bosses had been in-keeping with the rest of the game, DX:HR would have been a fierce contender for GOTY. The rest of the game was absolutely incredible.

And the developers have been so unlike others in the way they treat their fans. When everyone complained that the orange glow thing was stupid, like two days later the devs came right out and said 'ok, we're removing that shit. sorry'.

And JJB has the best tumblr out there.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

Taking Valve public would set him up to be rich as fuck anyway. I'd rather Newell get filthy rich off of a privately held Valve while keeping the company a great place to work for than take it public and have a bunch of fat cat Wall Street types squeezing every possibly penny out of Valve and Steam to the ultimate detriment of the platform and workplace before it finally collapses under its own weight and they waddle off to find the next thing to wring dry.

See Nintendo telling their shareholders to fuck off in regards to making 'droid games. Not every dev would have that opportunity if taken public.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Not that this is any indicator of anything, and not trying to jump on (ore restart) the hate-train, but you guys should go check out the Metacritic scores for ME3.
    Critics: 94

Users: 45

At this moment, for the 360 version.

Not that this is any indicator of anything, and not trying to jump on (ore restart) the hate-train, but you guys should go check out the Metacritic scores for ME3.
    Critics: 94

Users: 45

At this moment, for the 360 version.

They're probably just mad because they can't import their Shepard.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    ME3 has been getting rating bombed since it's been available to rate. The fact that almost all of the reviews are either 10 or 0 should tell you that the user ratings are not to be taken seriously.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Just finished playing Journey. Now that was something.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    But seriously, kotaku is asking for a 4chan link for verification?

I want Game Journalists are Incompetent Fuckwits to come back. Even better, I want the entire gaming journalism to burn and be recognised at large, not just to us, for the unfunny joke and complete disgrace to the word "journalism" it is. They deserve as much.

ME3 has been getting rating bombed since it's been available to rate. The fact that almost all of the reviews are either 10 or 0 should tell you that the user ratings are not to be taken seriously.

It does seem very polarizing. Reading some of the reviews, I don't think ALL the < 5 scores done by haters. Some of them seem to make good points. Of course, there are the "lol day 1 DLC fuck this 0" stuff. But then of the positive ones, it's all 10's and lots read like fanboy rants about how good of a game it is without supplying any qualifications.
    Again, taking a quick look at the reviews there (as though they're indicative of everything), the ones that scored the game poorly are usually pretty long and wordy. The higher ones are short and need not be expanded.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm pretty sure neither Sony nor Rockstar would sit on a GTA sequel, Namco has a wretched history of releasing handheld Tales games.

Type Zero Vita though? Very likely. People in the know say that it is being localized as we speak and they sure as shit aren't dumb enough to release it on the PSP.

The rumors are complete bunk but that one will probably happen sometime this year or early next.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Totally buying new iPad, love my Android phone for quick gaming fixes, and not got an iDevice at all, so man, I'm pretty excited.

fragglefart.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    User reviews are even less reliable than "professional" reviews.

I think that's really all that needs to be said.

Maddoc wrote: »
    User reviews are even less reliable than "professional" reviews.

I think that's really all that needs to be said.

At least day 1 users. Reviews which pop up by users hours after a game is released are rated on a binary scale of 0 or 10. It's either people justifying their purchase, overt fanboys, or outright haters.

I think, a few weeks or months after a game is released, that aggregate user scores are probably the most fair (unless there is a review scandal, like with Jurassic Park or Kain & Able), but still unsatisfactory. A single number can never be as satisfactory as a long breakdown of a game.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure neither Sony nor Rockstar would sit on a GTA sequel, Namco has a wretched history of releasing handheld Tales games.

Type Zero Vita though? Very likely. People in the know say that it is being localized as we speak and they sure as shit aren't dumb enough to release it on the PSP.

The rumors are complete bunk but that one will probably happen sometime this year or early next.

Why can't they release it on PSP through PSN? That way more people get to play it.

Renzo wrote: »

Why can't they release it on PSP through PSN? That way more people get to play it.

You still have to pay to publish a game on PSN. I guess, for whatever reason, they're no willing to publish PSP games in the US anymore. Kinda like most publishers.

Renzo wrote: »

Because it's Square Enix. The same people who won't put Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core, etc. on PSN.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Kingdom Hearts supposedly is still a licensing issue with Disney (not getting digital rights originally or something) from what was originally said.

Still no clue on Crisis Core... but considering how long it took them to release FFT:WotL, it doesnt surprise me.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'd kill a man for some Crisis Core on the Vita.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

I've been tempted to replay Crisis Core, but I really don't want to play it on my PSP.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I've been tempted to replay Crisis Core, but I really don't want to play it on my PSP.

Same. I have the UMD in my PSP 1000 right now, but I just... don't want to turn the PSP on after using the Vita.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.