As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Gamers Gone Wild '12 is CANCELLED

lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
Dear friends of DigitalNoob.com,

It has been a very hard couple of days for us. Early on Tuesday morning (Apr. 3rd) we were informed that the venue hosting our Gamers Gone Wild party had been shut down due to licensing issues.

We sought an explanation from Felt’s management, and we were told that it was a small problem with the venue operating under the wrong type of license. We took their word in good faith and contacted several organizations and public offices seeking affidavits of support, including Child’s Play charity and the office of the Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts. All our friends came through and gave us a huge helping hand.

It was only a matter of paperwork, right?

Unfortunately, the legal issues surrounding the venue went deeper and are still not entirely clear to us. Felt’s restaurant and liquor license have been suspended indefinitely, andDigitalNoob.com has no venue to host Gamers Gone Wild ‘12, all within 4 days of the event’s date.

We have done everything we could, up to this very minute. We are unable to find a suitable venue so late in the game, and we are sorry.

Never in the history of our website, since the very first days when it was SFX-360.com have we felt so powerless and unable to fight for our goals. We are sorry to get you all excited and failed to deliver. We are sorry we couldn’t bring together all our readers, industry and community partners. We are sorry we couldn’t put up a great fundraiser for Child’s Play.

Thank you all for your support. The DigitalNoob.com family put up a fight to the last, and Gamers Gone Wild will return. Hopefully sooner rather than later. And when it happens, we will look forward to seeing you there for a Gamers Gone Wild that will make up for this lost year. In the meanwhile, here’s to a great PAX East!

We are actively working with our sponsors to make the best out of this, and are planning a series of raffles on the PAX East show floor to the benefit of Child's Play. Follow @DigitalNoob_com on Twitter for the latest info.

PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
lucazzo on

• NightelynNightelyn Registered User regular
    Luca forgot to mention free hugs from me (if you can find me!)

• lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    Nightelyn wrote:
    Luca forgot to mention free hugs from me (if you can find me!)

Yes, I forgot. Nightelyn will be taking over my duties as hugger.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuuuu-
    Damned Canadian drinking age having me all psyched to go to the bar. Damn you 21!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So excited :D, last years was awesome, was able to meeting wonderful people working the VIP table :]

Victoryoftheppl on
    MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
    Fuuuuuuuuuuu-
    Damned Canadian drinking age having me all psyched to go to the bar. Damn you 21!

Sorry about that, but there's little to nothing we can do. Boston has ridiculously strict age policies for clubs and bars. =(

• LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    I will go this year and hopefully it'll be better than last, I think the club itsself confused the hell out of me.

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Oh man. I helped out the past 2 years since Dane's a friend of mine, Waterborn, over at 2Old2Play. Since he's getting married this year, he opted out at helping with the set up. If you guys still need my help, please do let me know. I'd love to help out again!!

I was on the Facebook private group page before I removed myself as I was cleaning things up some.

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    When exactly is the party starting on Friday night? Not sure I'll make it, but I'm curious.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    lucazzo wrote:
    Fuuuuuuuuuuu-

Sorry about that, but there's little to nothing we can do. Boston has ridiculously strict age policies for clubs and bars. =(
    No worries, I don't take it personally.
    Just means I'll be saving up it all for next year.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Stoked.. will do my best to make this happen. Missed it last year, much to my dismay.

• FlaeorFlaeor Registered User regular
    What time is it?

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    lucazzo wrote:
    When: Friday April 6th. 8pm-2am

E6LkoFK.png

Flaeor wrote:
    What time is it?

Woops, my bad! Edited original post. 8pm(ish)-2am

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    More importantly: What time is protomen, as it will take an atomic bomb to stop me from watching protomen, even if I want to make it to this :P

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    Just curious, is it just SFX-360 hosting it solo this year?

Also, I cannot, CANNOT wait to harass Carlos Ferro again. haha He's such an awesome guy.

• arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    Luca - I want to believe you, but I hate Felt so much ... conflicted :(

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    What's wrong with it?

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
    Kiashien wrote:
    More importantly: What time is protomen, as it will take an atomic bomb to stop me from watching protomen, even if I want to make it to this :P

No idea, but knowing you want to make it despite Protomen is a hell of an ego boost XD
    LinkSmash wrote:
    Just curious, is it just SFX-360 hosting it solo this year?.

Yes, as a website we're on our own this year so we're making up for it in awesomeness. We're partnering with a great events manager (Exclusively NEP) to handle the logistics, since last year we were busier running all over the place rather than actually enjoying ourselves.
    arsonisfun wrote:
    Luca - I want to believe you, but I hate Felt so much ... conflicted :(

Felt had their biggest Friday of the year for GGW'11, so they're very happy to host us again with exclusive access to the venue. We set up a higher price point for non-PAXers in order to avoid what happened last year (or at least offset it), so you should expect the crowd to be more along the lines of 90% PAX, 10% street.

Don't make me tie a chain around you during the PokeCrawl and drag you to this =P

Thanks @lucazzo! GGW '11 last year was hectic, especially when I was trying to help with the prizes and selling raffles for the Tron console and helping to man the front door. :/

But seriously, I'm up for helping out with set up again! It has been incredible fun the past 2 years and I'm glad that you guys have all of the venue to work with this time around.

• PNeafseyPNeafsey Registered User regular
    My wife and have changed our plans to leave arrive a earlier than originally planned just to attend GGW'12. The "Dom-father" being there was a huge pull for her. Looking forward to it.

• SFXMissJessSFXMissJess Registered User new member
    So excited! Can't wait to meet everyone and have a good time as we've had the past couple of years!

PNeafsey wrote:
    My wife and have changed our plans to leave arrive a earlier than originally planned just to attend GGW'12. The "Dom-father" being there was a huge pull for her. Looking forward to it.

Carlos Ferro is such a great guy!!! He's one of the reasons I am so eager to help out! Looking forward to meeting everyone there!

• Doc RogersDoc Rogers Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm very excited about this event it sounds like it will be a good time.

• zombiechronzombiechron Zebesian Mind Smuggler Miskatonic UniveristyRegistered User regular
    To choose between raging and concert-going: a true conundrum

ZILTOID
    To choose between raging and concert-going: a true conundrum

*Looks at pile of swag accumulating for Gamers Gone Wild*

Stay tuned for more swag unboxing videos in the next two weeks ;)

• StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    Damn, I'm not 21 yet. :(

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    is this the party that was at the club in Boston last year where there was a massive line? and that rockstar employee almost got into a fight with the bouncer outside and slammed a metal cordon stand?

I was on the line for like an hour and half before they told everybody that no one was getting in and we all scattered. it was actually a pretty fun time. outside.

I'd like to go this year...

Damn, I'm not 21 yet. :(

=( See you next year? Or the one after?
    MrGone1980 wrote: »
    is this the party that was at the club in Boston last year where there was a massive line? and that rockstar employee almost got into a fight with the bouncer outside and slammed a metal cordon stand?

I was on the line for like an hour and half before they told everybody that no one was getting in and we all scattered. it was actually a pretty fun time. outside.

Yeah, there were some unfortunate incidents and we're very clear with the venue that we don't want to see any of it happening this year. Sadly (or not), we reached capacity very early. One of the main reasons we have a higher cover for non-PAXers is to give the edge to PAX attendees. But we're still expecting to reach capacity by no later than 11:30. Hope to see you there!

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular

Did you just so happen to catch the name of the R* employee. Just curious. lol

Ln5yLL7.png
  • StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @lucazzo The one after :(

StrangeStatic on
    Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • gfishgfish Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    GGW with the bar full of PAX-ers sounds awesome. Last year just having part of the bar did seem to take a little away from the experience, so this sounds epic in the making. I'd hate to spend hours in the cold not to get in, but it was a good, if weird, time last year so I will chance it. PAX-peoples are the best peoples.

-- PokeTron: Ampharos
  • MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Krissta: "Did you just so happen to catch the name of the R* employee. Just curious. lol"

actually no. He was a thin white dude, goatee, light-colored short hair. and that motherfucker was proper PISSED off. the second I saw him I'm like "I NEED to get into this damn party." alas, it was not meant to be.

MrGone1980 on
    @Krissta: "Did you just so happen to catch the name of the R* employee. Just curious. lol"

actually no. He was a thin white dude, goatee, light-colored short hair. and that motherfucker was proper PISSED off. the second I saw him I'm like "I NEED to get into this damn party." alas, it was not meant to be.

Omg, too funny. Oh, and I love the term "proper pissed." I shall use that again. ;)

Ln5yLL7.png
  • razorboyrazorboy Product Manger TorontoRegistered User new member
    Alcohol and gamers...what could go wrong....let's hope there are lots of cameras handy......

razorboy wrote: »
    Alcohol and gamers...what could go wrong....let's hope there are lots of cameras handy......

Worse, there will be a photo booth. Figured we'd provide enough rope. =D

lucazzo wrote: »

Ohh, that is awesome...

Ln5yLL7.png
  • rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular
    lucazzo wrote: »

Sweet, I'm going to start practicing my crossed-eyes, tongue-out faces now.

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Last year I arrived in Boston just in time for the Protomen, and afterwards followed a friend of mine throughout Boston to find this place. It was quite a hike, though the weather at least was beautiful.

When we got there, though, it looked like one giant waste of time. A huge ass line outside, word that the regular club goers had filled up the PAX floor, and people getting turned away because their attire was deemed inappropriate (as in "you're not hip enough for us" judgmental superficiality).

My guess is, this is more the sort of party for people that actually like clubs and hip hop music and bass turned up way too loud to the point you can't have a conversation (see: the club episode of How I Met Your Mother).

This is all spoken from the judgmental attitude of an outsider looking in, though. I'm curious as to what it might be like on the inside, though preferably from someone that was a part of the show rather than someone holding it (I mean, let's face it, if I were the one running the show I'd try to talk it up myself).

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • craigumscraigums Registered User regular
    I cant wait for this! I was bummed I didnt get to go last year

GrimRupert wrote: »
    Last year I arrived in Boston just in time for the Protomen, and afterwards followed a friend of mine throughout Boston to find this place. It was quite a hike, though the weather at least was beautiful.

When we got there, though, it looked like one giant waste of time. A huge ass line outside, word that the regular club goers had filled up the PAX floor, and people getting turned away because their attire was deemed inappropriate (as in "you're not hip enough for us" judgmental superficiality).

Among the issues we had, the dress code was one. You could say there was a miscommunication with the door staff. Some people got in, and others didn't. Sadly, this is Boston, not Cancun, and a "relaxed" dress code only goes so far: there aren't many clubs or bars that will let you in wearing flip-flops. Still, we stressed the point this year. People will be coming from a convention, dressed more for utility than show, and the venue's management is aware of it.

Sadly, one thing we can't do is turn Felt into TARDIS, and capacity is what it is (~800). So yeah, early show.