As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [mini-phalla] of Isaac: GAME OVER - VILLAGE VICTORY

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote:
    And yes Nirya, I think this game/theme is deep enough could easily be blown up into a main with a few tweaks (like for god's sake don't mason-pair all the village specials AND have them inherit their partner's powers on death. I mean seriously)

I think thralls would have made this playable or conversions, otherwise, way too strong (imo).

It was fun though being on a strong villy team :)

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think I managed to place my guards pretty well, for what it was worth.

Those items the mafia had were CRAZY powerful. We were pretty lucky.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    The only person we couldnt kill was corv since he was guarded. We seered ahava which was really nice since you didnt know we knew who she was, and Kay and Kime both got the unblockable kills which sort of evened out the lack of group kill, excepting that it was limited to two times (and one day of downtime)

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I thought it may be some kind of RNG effect or something. But to simply allow the majority (i.e. the VILLAGE) be able to control that blue vote and make for more kills and tougher players is...silly.

Also: masons. Way too many. Each mason deserves some kind of bonus to the mafia/penalty to the village in a multiplicative way. So with that many masons they each needed a busdriver, a roleblocker, a vig immune, and a thrall/miller by my count. This was easy victory despite my hubris, which I regret not at all because it was in the bag.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    There were 7 village specials who all got masoned pretty much immediately. We were supposed to be targeting kay instead of the specials we seered pretty much every fucking day why? And we were supposed to try to get into the devil room when there were 2 confirmed public network heads day 1?

Nirya...

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Wow. Powers everywhere! This would have been very awesome as a large-scale phalla, but yeah having village specials also be masons that give their powers to each other on death, that was unexpected.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    The only thing I can say is that with the amount of sheeping that goes on, killing the network head is better than killing a special. It gives you a shot to control the vote kill, and even lets you do some vote analysis on who might be in the network. Plus, with your seer power (or just using claimed roles through soft networking) you could have probably built up a fake network once Kay died.

But all that said, 3 mason pairs that include specials and their backup is ridiculously powerful.

• Options
    Also NIrya, thanks for hosting. I had fun, even if I ruined my credibility forever.

Sorry again, to Cyth in particular.

• Options
    Yeah, we assumed Kay was just a mason because usually masons aren't also specials because masons who are specials are REALLY FUCKING POWERFUL.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Plus, with your seer power (or just using claimed roles through soft networking) you could have probably built up a fake network once Kay died.
    Actually thought about doing this but we didnt get any notification on who was what. Figured if we tried to use the seer to network the real seer would have shown up and it would have been awkwaaard

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, my seering ability only gave role names, not powers.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    shalmelo wrote: »

Well that's all you need to set up a fake network of vanillagers (that's all the village seer got as well).

• Options
    We seered 2 villagers all game.
    BECAUSE THERE WERE 7 VILLAGE SPECIALS

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    It's really boring being killed on Day 1. I'm glad my death made a difference though.

It's a good thing I stayed awake until 4:30 am that night.

• Options
    But you also knew Obi's role name, and he would be a prime target, this being his first phalla. Maybe there were others, I didn't read your boards too carefully.

I'm not saying the village wasn't OP, just throwing ideas out there.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »

Well that's all you need to set up a fake network of vanillagers (that's all the village seer got as well).

Yeah, seemed like everyone we looked at turned out to be a special. Our fake network of vanillagers would have been the mafia plus INANTP until like day 5.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Taya wrote: »
    It's really boring being killed on Day 1. I'm glad my death made a difference though.

Seriously. I couldn't believe it when I woke up and found that. That may have single-handedly won us the game. If kime had died and we didn't have a public figure, we would have lost a few days, and it definitely would have been down to the wire.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Taya I didn't vote for you this game...

but you getting day 1'd help us win so... maybe the lesson is always day 1 taya!

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Taya wrote: »

Seriuosly Taya that is comepletly ridiculous!

• Options
    Rysk, why didn't you share the rest of the awesomeness of your blue vote power with us?

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Woo hoo! I won!

You guys couldn't have done it without me.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Very fun game, Nirya, thanks for running! My only real balance issue is that, even without being masoned, the specials could network really easily since they had named roles, and it was one known how many there would be. Makes it easy to confirm.

Good times, though :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Rysk's role has already been thrown out there - he was The Fallen.

He had an unblockable vigilante kill, and three lives. He could use up a life to guard someone.

Also, I could not self-guard, which was kind of liberating. I just threw it on people that I thought would be targetted.

I saved Daius from Langly, I guarded Kime when he was killed by an unblockable attack (which I did not know existed), I think I guarded Rysk when the blue vote went on him, not sure if he was targetted, and I saved Corvidae from a kill the night I died. Pretty good, all in!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Yeah, for as much as I like to keep my head down and try to post without contributing anything useful (no matter what my role is), I was actually gone for a lot of this phalla. So I wasn't much help on the mafia boards. Hey Willage, was I seered, process of elimination'd, or just a pot shot kill?

Thanks for hosting Nirya.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't intend for the village to network as quickly as it did, and for the SK to die night one. With an extra kill gone on the first day that really changed the game up.

Plus I figured the blue vote would be something the mafia would want, since it went last and would trickle, so it was something they could control if they really wanted to.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Hey Willage, was I seered, process of elimination'd, or just a pot shot kill?

You were seered, and I insisted that no-one breathe a word of it to anyone, and then quietly vig you without warning. Which turned out to be a pretty good call.

That night, I was trying to get the other vigilante kill on SlyM, and a seer on Tzeenchling. I like Tzeench and he's smart, I would have loved to be able to 100% trust him and bring him into the network.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Farangu sense tingling.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kay wrote: »
    Hey Willage, was I seered, process of elimination'd, or just a pot shot kill?

You were seered, and I insisted that no-one breathe a word of it to anyone, and then quietly vig you without warning. Which turned out to be a pretty good call.

That night, I was trying to get the other vigilante kill on SlyM, and a seer on Tzeenchling. I like Tzeench and he's smart, I would have loved to be able to 100% trust him and bring him into the network.

<3

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    Farangu sense tingling.

On a related note, I took down the wiki recently because it was a security risk and spammed up.

The content is available here.

I intend to get a new one set up where accounts are mandatory to edit. The convenience of no accounts is not worth the spam we have to fend off, given the size of the community.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It wasn't too bad.

Yes, us finding one another on day 2 was a bit.... wow, and took me back a bit.

I was honestly convinced that the blue vote was going to be a public seer of some kind.

To the mafia: Why in sweet god's name did you seer me? There were so many other targets! :P

And once again, after 4 years of playing, I've only ever been a seer once. Nuts.

Nirya: thank you for running, first off. Second, you might want to consider making the 'sample role PM' a bit more obvious in the OP, as well as adding it to the first narration. It took a bit to realize that we were village and not mafia. I had fun this game. Even if I spent most of it wanting to kill my mason.

• Options
    It wasn't too bad.

Yes, us finding one another on day 2 was a bit.... wow, and took me back a bit.

I was honestly convinced that the blue vote was going to be a public seer of some kind.

To the mafia: Why in sweet god's name did you seer me? There were so many other targets! :P

And once again, after 4 years of playing, I've only ever been a seer once. Nuts.

Nirya: thank you for running, first off. Second, you might want to consider making the 'sample role PM' a bit more obvious in the OP, as well as adding it to the first narration. It took a bit to realize that we were village and not mafia. I had fun this game. Even if I spent most of it wanting to kill my mason.
    Were you mason'd with MrT?

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Corvidae. I was SO EXCITED to be masoned with Taya, and then Kime killed her day one. :|

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Having a mason is pretty fun.

• Options
    The masons were: me and kime (vig), Kay and Taya (guard), and corvidae with ahava (seer)

• Options
    Nirya, if you make this into a main, I feel like this game is begging for an HP system.

• Options
    No no. Hearts and Soul Hearts.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    was masoned with Corvidae.

for whatever reason, we seem to not get along very well.

It's not quite at @Toxic_Toys level... but close.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nirya wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't intend for the village to network as quickly as it did, and for the SK to die night one. With an extra kill gone on the first day that really changed the game up.

SKs should, by default, never be thought of as a way to balance an imbalanced mafia vs. village dichotomy since they are not part of either the mafia or village. They're mostly there to add a bit of chaos and make the game end faster. If you've got a large easily formable network and powerful village you gotta up the mafia to compensate, usually by giving them abilities. They did have abilities, but having 2 group kills is huge for mafia: mafia live and die by their group kills and taking away one (or all) or adding one has a massive effect on game balance hosts seem to underestimate time and time again.

One mafia probably should have made a play for the devil room, though you can't expect mafia to all reveal themselves voting to power up a player so it's a bit trickier than just trickledown killing. On top of the village devil room role being massively better than the ones the mafia could get and I agree with B:L here.

Anyways the narrations and banter was fun to read, props to Obifett for letting me participate :^:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Corvidae. I was SO EXCITED to be masoned with Taya, and then Kime killed her day one. :|

It's not my fault! She's always mafia!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    No! I was mafia, so she was obviously village!

She's only mafia when I'm a villager